All-In Red

Other developing decks

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

All-In Red

Postby Valdarith » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:12 pm

After our poster Alex had some success with a Modern variant of a standard All-In Red deck that FoS clan members have been brewing for the past couple of months, I decided I had found the deck I wanted to run for Modern. The Modern scene in my area isn't very big and I rarely go to FNMs, but I wanted a cheap deck just in case I was able to go on Modern nights. Also, this gives me the opportunity to invest in Modern on MTGO for a very limited amount of tickets.

First, I'll introduce Alex's modern deck that he went 7-1 with at his local Monday Night Modern.

[deck=Alex's Modern AIR]
Creatures (38)
4 Signal Pest
4 Stromkirk Noble
3 Legion Loyalist
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Stormblood Berserker
4 Goblin Wardriver
4 Lightning Mauler
3 Gore-House Chainwalker
3 Firefist Striker
4 Chandra's Phoenix
1 Pyreheart Wolf

Spells (4)
4 Lightning Bolt

Mana (18)
4 Ghost Quarter
14 Mountain

Sideboard (
15)
4 Shrine of Burning Rage
3 Dismember
3 Volcanic Strength
3 Faerie Macabre
2 Blood Moon
[/deck]

He commented that he didn't find the four Ghost Quarters to be awkward with some of his RR drops and that the vast majority of the time they were Wastelands. This reinforces observations by others that Ghost Quarter is a very good card in Modern right now as people are getting greedy with their decks and running no basics. He also admitted to literally throwing the sideboard together so there are certainly some better choices to be made here.

Taking some information from his deck, I decided to build my own as follows:

[deck=Valdarith's Modern AIR]
Creatures (34)
3 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Goblin Guide
4 Signal Pest
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Wardriver
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
3 Lightning Mauler
4 Mogg War Marshal

Spells (8)
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Krenko's Command

Lands (18)
18 Mountain
[/deck]

I have yet to acquire the Goblin Guides so I've been
running Keldon Marauders instead. I decided that I had so many RR drops that I had to run 18 Mountains. I think running any colorless in this deck is loose but I could just be too conservative in that view.

There is a lot to talk about here. User Zemanjaski suggested Ash Zealot in the main and he may be correct there. The only question is what to cut for him. Going the Burning-Tree Emissary route dictates that we have enough creatures to chain off him and adding more Zealots could make that plan less consistent.

So far I've played vs mono black infect and dredge and won both matches, with two of the games across those matches involving wins from mulls to five. This deck is very explosive but it also rewards patience as the batallion, battle cry, and Bushwhacker triggers favor a developed board state. A lot of our cards are 2-for-1s which only helps enforce the battle cry plan, but it could be correct to just get away from Denizen, Krenko's Command, and Mogg War Marshall to go with bigger bodies like
Stormblood Berserker, Ash Zealot, and some number of Pyreheart Wolf.

I did get to play against UWR Geist today and got completely manhandled in that matchup, but then again I mulled to five in both games and my opponent drew three Lightning Helix in both games so that could just be an abberation.

I'd love to hear some suggestions on the maindeck as well as some sideboard possibilities. I am new to Modern so I don't have as good a grasp on the meta as more frequent participants. I hear Infect is pretty popular around my area and was considering including Gut Shot in my sideboard to combat those strategies. Is that correct? I would assume I also want some number of Leyline of Punishment to fight Soul Sisters which I can imagine would be a bad matchup for this deck. They play very little removal (four Paths normally) but if they get a Serra Ascendant online quick enough we have no answer for it.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:58 pm

I'll go on record to say that Stormblood Berserker is one of, if not the best red two drop ever printed.

Consider the weight that a statement like that carries.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:12 am

I'll go on record to say that Stormblood Berserker is one of, if not the best red two drop ever printed.

Consider the weight that a statement like that carries.
I agree, and I've been wanting to put him back in the deck. This means Denizen must come out which is fine, but also means I could get away from Krenko's and maybe War Marshall for more powerful cards and maybe a little more top end.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:41 am

I don't think Lightning Bolt is as good as a global pump would be honestly; will think a bit more and contribute soon.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:42 am

Also, it's weird to say Asg Zealot is anti-synergy with BTE when you're running Wardriver, who is worse than Ash Zealot.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:13 am

I've played a lot of games where you go something like T1 Signal Pest, T2 Wardriver, T3 BTE->Lightning Mauler->Legion Loyalist->Surprise buttsex.

The BTE chain isn't as important in this deck as it is in Standard incantations. More often than not BTE is just a bear that brings another bear buddy for the sake of Battle Cry. Even so, if the goal is to wtfraep someone, Gore-House out of a BTE chain or paired with a Lightning Mauler does that just a wee bit better than Ash Zealot, which is why I chose him. Being RR didn't really impact my choice at all, it was just the difference in power.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:25 pm

It seems like we could go with two different philosophies here. We either go with a swarm strategy with cards like Burning-Tree Emissary, Krenko's Command, Signal Pest, and Mogg War Marshall and just swing into our opponent kamikaze style or we go with the traditionally powerful red drops like Stormblood Berserker, Ash Zealot, Keldon Marauders, etc. The former would play all dudes and anthems and forgo bolts while the latter would play a lower curve and possibly more land destruction but still have a late-game plan (and admittedly not be as all-in). Which would be more competitive?

[deck]
Creatures (35)
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Goblin Guide
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Signal Pest
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Wardriver
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
3 Lightning Mauler

Spells (8)
4 Krenko's Command
4 Dynacharge

Lands (17)
17 Mountain
[/deck]

I have no idea where to go with the second idea. I do
like the idea of four Ghost Quarter in the main like Alex had. Maybe a higher curve deck with mana denial? Obviously out of the scope of "All-In", but I'm down for whatever is more competitive.

[deck]
Creatures (24)
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Figure of Destiny
2 Grim Lavamancer
4 Ash Zealot
4 Stormblood Berserker
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Avalanche Riders

Spells (14)
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Magma Jet
4 Molten Rain
2 Roiling Terrain

Lands (22)
4 Ghost Quarter
18 Mountain
[/deck]

Second list seems bad. Excuse my stream of consciousness.

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:34 pm

[card]Goblin Grenade[/card] if your running a load of Goblins.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:49 pm

It seems like we could go with two different philosophies here. We either go with a swarm strategy with cards like Burning-Tree Emissary, Krenko's Command, Signal Pest, and Mogg War Marshall and just swing into our opponent kamikaze style or we go with the traditionally powerful red drops like Stormblood Berserker, Ash Zealot, Keldon Marauders, etc. The former would play all dudes and anthems and forgo bolts while the latter would play a lower curve and possibly more land destruction but still have a late-game plan (and admittedly not be as all-in). Which would be more competitive?
I like Lightning Bolt even in hyper aggressive lists (obviously based on my list) because just gibbing someone for 6 after a bunch of damage is
sometimes better than playing a dude. You still need reach even if you're just planning to ram your dudes into their face as much as possible, because things like Wall of Omens slow you down quite a bit.

The list you posted seems fine though, I wouldn't play Krenko's Command since without Dynacharge/Battle Cry it represents less damage than Lightning Bolt and you really want to be playing cards that are good on their own. But ditching those Commands fits those Bolts in nicely.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:01 pm

I like
Lightning Bolt even in hyper aggressive lists (obviously based on my list) because just gibbing someone for 6 after a bunch of damage is sometimes better than playing a dude. You still need reach even if you're just planning to ram your dudes into their face as much as possible, because things like Wall of Omens slow you down quite a bit.

The list you posted seems fine though, I wouldn't play Krenko's Command since without Dynacharge/Battle Cry it represents less damage than Lightning Bolt and you really want to be playing cards that are good on their own. But ditching those Commands fits those Bolts in nicely.
I also like Lightning Bolt. I think maybe -1 Denizen, -4 Krenko's for +4 Lightning Bolt and +1 Lightning Mauler may be the way to go.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:03 pm

That's more or less what I'm doing. I got my fetches back so I'll probably also be going -4 Goblin Guide, +4 Grim Lavamancer as well.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:07 pm

That's more or less what I'm doing. I got my fetches back so I'll probably also be going -4 Goblin Guide, +4 Grim Lavamancer as well.
If I had fetches I think this would be the most optimal choice. Also allows for more Ghost Quarter.

EDIT: hell, it might be fine WITHOUT the fetches, only with 2-3 Lavamancers instead.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:12 pm

[deck]
Creatures (35)
4 Legion Loyalist
3 Signal Pest
4 Foundry Street Denizen
2 Grim Lavamancer
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Wardriver
3 Mogg War Marshal
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
3 Lightning Mauler
4 Stormblood Berserker

Spells (7)
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Dynacharge

Lands (18)
4 Ghost Quarter
14 Mountain
[/deck]

Maybe this?

Alex, what was your experience with Lightning Mauler? I can imagine that in Modern with all the instant speed removal he would only be good with a BTE chain. Should he even be in here?

Pyreheart Bezerra

Postby Pyreheart Bezerra » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:15 pm

With Lavamancer and no fetches, when do you realistically start activating him, and once you start can you do so every turn until they are dead? I was not around for M12 standard so I have yet to play him in a competitive environment.

Tier 2 Member of Fires of Salvation.

Mountain Mage since 7/12

Check out my Limited Articles @ CardAgain!

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:25 pm

With Lavamancer and no fetches, when do you realistically start activating him, and once you start can you do so every turn until they are dead? I was not around for M12 standard so I have yet to play him in a competitive environment.
Well we are playing four Ghost Quarter so that will help with activation. I believe most lists running 3 Lavamancers typically run 7 fetches so we shouldn't have too hard a time with two in the deck for the late game (which is the whole reason he's in the list - late game reach). Also, we'll almost never pay echo for Mogg War Marshal and many of our attackers will be suiciding in.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Alex, what was your experience with Lightning Mauler? I can imagine that in Modern with all the instant speed removal he would only be good with a BTE chain. Should he even be in here?
Yes because he literally DEMANDS removal.

In a strange sequence of events last night, I played a game where I went...

T2 Lightning Mauler
T3 Lightning Mauler
T4 Burning-Tree Emissary, Signal Pest, Signal Pest, Lightning Mauler.

My affinity opponent literally just laughed at how badly they had gotten wrecked. He had me at 3 and Lightning Bolt in hand, totally tapped out for a Steel Overseer, lul.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:27 am

Duly noted. It seems like three is the sweet spot as multiples could be clunky in most other situations.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:34 pm

So I decided despite having my "real" deck back, I was going to play this deck again last night. Our modern events don't really garner a huge turnout yet, so losing doesn't really bother me that much. Despite that, I went 2-1. It was a weird sequence of events that led to this, too. The deck felt incredibly consistent in doing what it wanted to do, and I have to admit that even I wasn't really expecting much, especially in certain matchups. Despite the fact that I mull'd to 5-6 in almost every game, whenever I kept a 2 lander the deck felt incredibly smooth, so it was basically always worth it.

So yeah.

Round one I played against UBw Tron.

The guy never really stood a chance. Game one I plowed into him for effectively dead on turn 3.
Boarded in Shrine of Burning Rage and boarded out Lightning Bolts. Removal wasn't important but if he
managed to Wrath of God me I needed to have a secondary plan. Shrine generally represents more reach than Bolt, but maybe this was counter intuitive and perhaps I should have just yanked Phoenix or something.
Game 2 he quickly resolved a Sundering Titan off of a nut-drawn Tron+Titan hand and I scooped. I don't know if I could have fought through it or not, but I hadn't shown him my Shrines yet and my board was pretty mediocre so I decided to just withhold information and be on the play where I was more powerful.
Game 3 was a repeat of game 1 where I literally just ejaculated all over his face. By turn 3 I had emptied my entire hand, with the end of that chain being a Goblin Bushwhacker. I already had down 2 Signal Pests and 2 Burning-Tree Emissary, so I basically just hit him for approximately a million.

Summary: Tron is
an easy matchup. They can't do anything in their first four turns, and that's where you're at your best. White versions might be a little more annoying on the draw because of Wrath/Day/Verdict, but beyond that I can't see ever having a hard time with this matchup.

Round 2 was against Splinter Twin ft. Kikki-Jikki.

Game 1 was a joke, I was on the play and I opened a hand with 4 bolts, 2 lands and a Stromkirk Noble. He never had a chance. I kept drawing gas, and he kept trying to play walls, but every time he played a Wall of Omens I'd just play more dudes that he had to deal with. It was pretty brutal beats when Pyreheart Wolf came down.
I boarded in Volcanic Strength and Manabarbs. (I don't own any Burning Earth yet.) Yanked Stromkirk Nobles
and Gore-House Chainwalkers. Still had some number of Walkers in, but he was the least impressive card in the deck and was most likely to die to Lightning Bolts.
Game 2 I lost to a literal nut draw of 3 Wall of Omens and 2 Path to Exile. He combo'd off in short order. I had to mulligan to 5 here also, which didn't help. My first hand was 6 Mountains and a Lightning Bolt, followed by a hand full of 6 spells and no land. Argh.
Game 3 I ended up losing in the same fashion, although this time I had the answer for Exarch but was shat upon by Spellskite coming down.

Summary: Not a great matchup, I think if I had better sideboard cards I would have been a lot better off. Certainly want some number of Combusts for this deck. My deck was constructed hastily and with only a mediocre knowledge of
the Modern format so I certainly didn't account for everything. :(

Round 3 was against a bad version of Real Steel. The guy even admitted that he had seen my primer here (LOL) and decided to play more colors. For some reason he added blue, but I couldn't figure out why because when I looked at his list he wasn't playing any blue cards except Thirst for Knowledge, which is absolutely horrid in that type of deck.

I 2-0'd this matchup without sideboarding, both games entailed me simply bolting his Signal Pest/Vault Skirge and winning the game as he struggled to find colored sources to play Whipflare. It was not very exciting Magic.

Summary: Bad deck was bad. I showed him my artifact list and we played some games and he realized he was doing it wrong.

The deck
felt pretty consistent at doing what it wanted to do though, and I was impressed at how incredibly good Bushwhacker was even during the shittiest board states. I think I want to play some number of Dynacharge in the main board but I have to figure out what to cut to do so. People were saying it should be Lightning Bolt but I highly doubt that's correct just based on the amount of times I've had it be incredibly good for me. We'll see.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Dynacharge seems pretty exciting in a deck like this, and certainly represents more potential damage than Lightning Bolt, but the flexibility of Bolt can't be ignored. Do we need the removal? There's been quite a few times I was glad to have it and other times where I wished it were Dynacharge. Hard to say which one would win us more games, and that's why I decided to shove both in. Dynacharge seems like an undercosted Hellrider to me and I like that.

Still keeping Noble in?

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:10 pm

Still keeping Noble in?
I had one Stromkirk Noble in my entire list, in my haste I couldn't find a fourth Goblin Bushwhacker so I just left Stromkirk Noble in his place. Card is not good in modern, I would suggest not playing it. Wall of Omens craps on it too hard.

Lightning Bolt made up for the weaknesses of some of the opening hands where I had no 1drop other than Bushwhacker. Pointing 3 at their head EoT was correct plenty of the time.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:07 pm

This is where I am now.

[deck]AIR[/deck]

I ended up playing swapping in some Rootbound Crag for Ancient Grudge as well as at least a little bit of resistance to Sundering Titan. Combust came in for Splinter Twin and Kikki-Pod. Faerie Macabre is for Melira-Pod. (I like it better than [card]Relic of
Progenitus[/card] and stuff because it isn't advertised.)

I'm still pretty married to Shrine of Burning Rage, although I really don't know when I'd board it in. Somebody talk me out of it?

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:42 am

Well, this looks like fun. Some questions:

- I understand the reason for Rootbound Crag, but it's a tiny risk that you'll see just some of those in your opening hand. Why not Copperline Gorge or possibly Karplusan Forest instead? Those two would be more playable early, if you get a bad opening hand. It's a small risk, but it's still a potential stumble block.
- If you had to swap the Phoenixes for something else, what would you put in?
Sig by NBW

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:48 pm

I'd say Pyreheart Wolf seems like a good replacement for Phoenix since he synergizes with the deck so well. He also fits the value theme this deck seems to be going toward.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:54 pm

I would probably have considered Pyreheart Wolf as well, if I'd thought about it. My initial thought was to add a Goblin Wardriver, Firefist Striker and a Dynacharge (or maybe Legion Loyalist).
Sig by NBW

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:06 pm

I would probably have considered Pyreheart Wolf as well, if I'd thought about it. My initial thought was to add a Goblin Wardriver, Firefist Striker and a Dynacharge (or maybe Legion Loyalist).
Goblin Wardriver is one of the weaker cards in the deck. It doesn't have Haste or a relevant keyword other than the Battle Cry it provides, and you can't chain it off of Burning-Tree Emissary so it never really has a chance at being played on turn 2. If there were something else to play in that slot I think I would prefer to play that, but unfortunately unless I go R/w there really isn't. In RW you get a lot of stuff though, most notably Accorder Paladin, which is
actually a very big upgrade considering he has three power. Still can't be cast off of Burning-Tree though, so there's that. Boros Charm is also a card that might be good enough to make the cut. Giving a Stormblood Berserker double strike seems like a brutal beating. (Stormblood attacks for 5? 3/3 with 2 Battle Crys on? Oh, sorry, make that 10.) Even so, I don't think I'm interested in actually adding another color, although [card]Wear // Tear[/card] basically does what I want Ancient Grudge to do. Idk.

I like Pyreheart Wolf a lot but I think I might just stick with [card]Chandra's Phoenix[/card]. Pyreheart Wolf is an entire turn slower unless you have an unbound Lightning Mauler, which is pretty painful. You're really trying to win under the Kikki-Jikki clock in a lot
of matchups. Scapeshift goes off at about the same speed and that's a very popular deck, so this is something to keep in mind. You have basically no way of interacting with these decks so you simply need to kill them before they get off of the ground.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:07 pm

The speed for Pyreheart is concerning for me as well. The effect is good, but perhaps a bit to slow. Well, the question is moot anyway, I'll get those phoenixes at some point anyway.
Sig by NBW

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:06 pm

I played about 5 matches this morning with Alex's latest version (subbed Copperline Gorges for Crags). I enjoyed it when I got the nut draw, but it felt wildly inconsistent on 18 land. I was often stuck with a hand full of 2 drops and only 2 land on the field.

I think some number of Goblin Guide would help the curve out, so I'll test a few versions this week.

Keldon Marauders may be an effective substitute for Wardriver off of a BTE chain.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:21 pm

I played about 5 matches this morning with Alex's latest version (subbed Copperline Gorges for Crags). I enjoyed it when I got the nut draw, but it felt wildly inconsistent on 18 land. I was often stuck with a hand full of 2 drops and only 2 land on the field.

I think some number of Goblin Guide would help the curve out, so I'll test a few versions this week.

Keldon Marauders may be an effective substitute for Wardriver off of a BTE chain.
I've been getting the same feeling lately. I'm trying to figure out a more optimal 20-land build to rid myself of that feeling.

I like being able to play Ghost Quarter as I feel it punishes a lot of Modern manabases, so maybe a base with 16 Mountain and 4 Ghost Quarter would be good to
have. That way if you flood with Ghost Quarters it actually isn't so bad, and you're sticking with the budget theme of the deck that Alex is trying to adhere to (instead of going with Mutavault).

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:23 pm

Keldon Maurauders, Hellspark Elemental, or your choice of burn are all acceptable substitutes, but I feel like the times that Wardriver is good, he's REALLY good.

There may even be an argument to be made for Weapon Surge in place of some number of Wardrivers, but that's something I'd have to fuck around with and try out.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Keldon Maurauders, Hellspark Elemental, or your choice of burn are all acceptable substitutes, but I feel like the times that Wardriver is good, he's REALLY good.

There may even be an argument to be made for Weapon Surge in place of some number of Wardrivers, but that's something I'd have to fuck around with and try out.
Wardrivers has had pretty high variance for me. He's rather slow so he gets picked off a lot, but when I swing with him, he's doing WORK.

Keldon Marauders was decent when tested but I felt this deck wanted more consistent board presence. There were a lot of times where having him vanish after one attack felt so bad.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:32 pm

It might be foolish to cut something for this, but Gut Shot into Stormblood Berserker is big game.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:43 pm

It might be foolish to cut something for this, but Gut Shot into Stormblood Berserker is big game.
Not worth the slot. One damage for one card is no good here.

Also, Alex, your list says you have 18 lands but I'm counting 19.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Tuning my deck a little. How about something like this?

[deck]
Creatures (36)
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Signal Pest
3 Legion Loyalist
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Lightning Mauler
4 Stormblood Berserker
3 Goblin Wardriver
4 Hellspark Elemental
2 Pyreheart Wolf

Spells (5)
4 Dynacharge
1 Trumpet Blast

Lands (19)
16 Mountain
3 Ghost Quarter
[/deck]

Because who needs Lightning Bolt?

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm going to try this tonight.

[Deck]Creatures:34
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Guide
3 Legion Loyalist
4 Signal Pest
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Lightning Mauler
4 Stormblood Berserker
3 Boggart Ram-Gang

Spells:7
3 Dynacharge
4 Lightning Bolt

Lands:19
4 Copperline Gorge
3 Ghost Quarter
12 Mountain[/deck]

Boggart Ram-Gang replaced Chandra's Phoenix for better chaining off of BTE. With only 4 bolts and no planeswalkers, I'm not recurring the bird very often either.

Put 4 Goblin Guide in to lower the curve and moved the land count to 19. The Ghost Quarters help a lot vs Tron and UWR in game 1.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:21 pm

I'm going to try this tonight.

[Deck]Creatures:34
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Guide
3 Legion Loyalist
4 Signal Pest
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Lightning Mauler
4 Stormblood Berserker
3 Boggart Ram-Gang

Spells:7
3 Dynacharge
4 Lightning Bolt

Lands:19
4 Copperline Gorge
3 Ghost Quarter
12 Mountain[/deck]

Boggart Ram-Gang replaced Chandra's Phoenix for better chaining off of BTE. With only 4 bolts and no planeswalkers, I'm not recurring the bird very often either.

Put 4 Goblin Guide in to lower the curve and moved the land count to 19. The Ghost Quarters help a lot vs Tron and UWR in game 1.
Well, Chandra's Phoenix chains just as effectively off BTE, but the 3/3 body is nice.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:25 pm

You're right, BRG doesn't chain any better off of BTE. Sheepish looks here in ham's world :)

I also considered Hell's Thunder while in the ultra-all-in mindset.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:40 pm

I actually don't hate Boggart Ram-Gang.
You do. Goldfish a few hands with it and without it and tell me which deck draws smoother. Lightning Bolt really supplements those hands where you have Bushwhackers or Loyalists as your only 1drops and need something to do on turn 1.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:48 pm

I actually don't hate Boggart Ram-Gang.
You do. Goldfish a few hands with it and without it and tell me which deck draws smoother. Lightning Bolt really supplements those hands where you have Bushwhackers or Loyalists as your only 1drops and need something to do on turn 1.
I can imagine this being the case if you only have Signal Pest (as your list does), but what about Cackler and Signal Pest? My list runs four of each because I'm not a fan of only four playable one drops in an 18-land list. I had the same issue in Standard with
R/G Gruul sligh. Hands with no playable one drop felt terrible so I shoved in Denizen as one-drops 9-11 to complement Noble and Cackler. I found myself wanting to do the same here to increase the consistency of the deck, so I brought in Cackler because I like the 2 ass.

I do like Bolt's ability to act as removal for us. I'm not sure how Pyreheart Wolf would be in Modern since I only recently started dabbling in the format, but perhaps cutting him, a Hellspark Elemental, and a Trumpet Blast could make room for four.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:06 pm

Lightning Bolt is very rarely used as removal. It will do more damage than your average Rakdos Cackler will.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:54 pm

The more I tweak and tweak the list I slapped together, I keep asking myself if this is just a slightly worse version of Modern Goblins?

Edit: Dunno if I memorized this from somewhere or what, but somehow my deck morphed into this:

[deck]
Creatures (29)
4 Akki Avalanchers
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Goblin Guide
1 Spikeshot Elder
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Chieftain

Reach (8)
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Goblin Grenade

The Bomb (3)
3 Shared Animosity

Land! (20)
3 Cavern of Souls
17x Mountain[/deck]

2nd Edit:

I suppose a Cavern could be switched out for another Mountain, and some number (or all) of Goblin Grenades could come out for Dragon Fodder/Krenko's Command.

3rd Edit:

Anybody notice how almost all of the Goblins have a weapon in their hand? Oh, those bloodthirsty little scamps!

4th Edit:

Alex, how do you think this deck could fit into your current
Modern series? It should be within the $100 mark.
Last edited by Khaospawn on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Return to “Developing”