E-Sports Stream Personality Day9 competes in Pro Tour

R.I.P

Moderator: Khaospawn

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

E-Sports Stream Personality Day9 competes in Pro Tour

Postby Thrillho » Fri May 17, 2013 3:29 pm

Day9 is a (very) popular esports guy and former pro-starcraft thing who does stuff on twitch and has a massive following on the stream site. He also recently started streaming MODO and, after Wizards took notice, got a sponsors invite to today's pro tour. No one has said anything about this on this site and I'm sure someone has an opinion on it so here is a topic about it to keep things fresh.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri May 17, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm a big fan of the Pro Tour invites that Wizards has been extending to big name community members of the game -- we've already seen impressive Top 8's from these specially-invited players. It's great for the game.

I will argue tooth and nail against any jealous neckbeard who thinks that everyone needs to qualify the same way. Go!
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Calamity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Calamity » Fri May 17, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm a pretty big Starcraft fan (as you can tell from my avatar lol) and Day 9 knows his starcraft but from what I've seen isn't a PT caliber MtG player. Maybe (I hope) he will surprise me.

At worst it'll generate some good publicity for both games, so i guess its a win/win situation for all.
Official Firebat of FoS

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri May 17, 2013 6:19 pm

I'd say it's more a win for Wizards, since he's the one with thousands of followers and Magic's size is not nearly that of Starcraft on the international stage.

Based on his stream practice performance, he is not very good at Magic, certainly not someone who would qualify for the PT on a PTQ win, but he's a fan of the game who can bring a lot of new players from different walks in and that's a positive for Wizards and largely a positive for the game itself.

I honestly believe that if you're upset that he got the non-grind invite, you're just jealous and/or are probably not good enough to qualify for the PT on PTQ wins. The man has cultivated a mass following which is something you probably don't have and something Wizards/Hasbro wants, meaning you have neither the skill nor the profession backing your way into a PT invite.

Calamity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Calamity » Fri May 17, 2013 6:47 pm

I'd say it's more a win for Wizards, since he's the one with thousands of followers and Magic's size is not nearly that of Starcraft on the international stage.

Based on his stream practice performance, he is not very good at Magic, certainly not someone who would qualify for the PT on a PTQ win, but he's a fan of the game who can bring a lot of new players from different walks in and that's a positive for Wizards and largely a positive for the game itself.

I honestly believe that if you're upset that he got the non-grind invite, you're just jealous and/or are probably not good enough to qualify for the PT on PTQ wins. The man has cultivated a mass following which is something you probably don't have and something Wizards/Hasbro wants, meaning you have
neither the skill nor the profession backing your way into a PT invite.
I wonder how many people from Starcraft he's brought over to magic...he's streamed random drafts before on days where he usually broadcasts Starcraft stuff and the stream chat is full of people saying 'oh what's this game?'
Official Firebat of FoS

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri May 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Day 9 is playing Hidden Strings in his first draft deck so that should pretty much summarize everything.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri May 17, 2013 8:38 pm

A judge is now explaining how the card works.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri May 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Day9 actively on camera telling his opponent he hopes he gets manascrewed "like in game 1."

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 pm

Day9 seems like someone who should not have been put on camera.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Return to “Archives”