[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Khaospawn » Sat May 25, 2013 5:30 pm

I'll admit that drafting it could be pretty fun.

Good call on flipping Modern staples for Snaps. Snaps and LotV are probably the only newer cards I'll need so I'll probably do the same after I'm done with the draft.

I was really hoping they'd reprint up to Zen. I can ALWAYS use more fetches. My EDH decks could always use some more fetchland lovin'...
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat May 25, 2013 5:36 pm

I hadn't considered Liliana, but I should probably go for those too. Fuckin' Jund.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Update on the home situation. Drug-addict female? Gone without a trace. Though, not from my doing. She left abruptly and took what few things she had and left her key upon the kitchen table. Apparently she found out the location of her mother and left to find her. Suits me fine.
That is welcome news, my friend. Change the locks anyway. :)[/
quote]

+1 here! Glad everything settled out, Kaze.

@zeman - My great nephew runs BW tokens with all the expected token generators and anthem, VNH, Sorin, Bloodline Keeper, Vampire Interloper and lots of removal. It's not likely truly competitive, but the 9-year-old regularly snatches wins with it. If you want me to get the list, say so.

Brewing thought: Counter-burn with Ral Zarek, Electromancer, Gutter Snipe, Young Pyromancer, Phoenix? Pre-rotation there would be Snapcaster but all the garbage lifegain, post-rotation we lose both the pro and the cons (unless there is another broken lifegain engine). Burning Earth also looks interesting, though more so in mono-red burn. Even with new burn in M14, I don't think it's likely enough to overcome lifegain, but perhaps in the new block.

Ordered a playset of Master of Cruelties the other day because I know there has to be some fun to be had with it.

@Fate

Golgari Control

[deck]
24 LANDS
14 Swamp
Woodland Cemetery
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Golgari Guildgate

14 CREATURES
4 Desecration Demon
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Thragtusk
2 Disciple of Bolas

18 INSTANTS and SORCERIES
4 Sign in Blood
3 Tragic Slip
3 Mutilate
3 Abrupt Decay
2 Cremate
2 Victim of Night
1 Putrefy

4 OTHER SPELLS
3 Liliana of the Veil
1 Garruk Relentless

SIDEBOARD
3 Duress
3 Appetite for Brains
2 Vraska the Unseen
2 Golgari Charm
2 Underworld Connections
2 Ground Seal
1 Mutilate[/deck]
Thanks! And thank you for posting that decklist. I'm equally interested in how that couterburn deck you're brewing works out.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 25, 2013 5:53 pm

I might pick up a 4th Vendillion Clique while I'm there, but other than that, I'm probably going to be flipping my MM spoils to try and get some Snapcasters before they skyrocket in price in the coming months. I'm currently holding 18 and I'd like to make it an even 30. If they're at like $20 now, I can imagine that this time next year they'll be around $50, so I'll probably sell them at that point.
Thirty Snaps?

Just how low is your rent, anyway?

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sat May 25, 2013 5:58 pm

I dont have many legacy/modern Staples. A few Marsh Flats is all i have. lol

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Sat May 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Watching the SCG Dallas live stream right now and Matthias Hunt just pronounced Domri Rade "Domri Rod". Looks like Matthias has something other than MTG on his mind... ;-)
SM, you complete me. :love:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat May 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Hey baby, check out my +1 on my big Domri Rod.

Huh-huh-huh-huh
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat May 25, 2013 8:41 pm

I might pick up a 4th Vendillion Clique while I'm there, but other than that, I'm probably going to be flipping my MM spoils to try and get some Snapcasters before they skyrocket in price in the coming months. I'm currently holding 18 and I'd like to make it an even 30. If they're at like $20 now, I can imagine that this time next year they'll be around $50, so I'll probably sell them at that point.
Thirty Snaps?

I haven't spent a dime on Magic in well over 5 years. It helps support me, actually.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sat May 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Teach me your ways, Alex-sensei.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat May 25, 2013 9:44 pm

So Alex and I are going to GP Las Vegas. Anyone else? I know LK is a maybe.

We need more lady killers.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 25, 2013 10:10 pm

Thirty Snaps?
n
I haven't spent a dime on Magic in well over 5 years. It helps support me, actually.
Do tell us your ways.

Hell, make a thread about it!

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat May 25, 2013 10:15 pm

Teach me your ways, Alex-sensei.
Lesson #1: Be a scumbag. I will tradeshark people and not bat an eyelash. When I VERY first moved to North Carolina, one of the first stores I went to was a super-casual shop where they mostly played 40k and stuff. I met with some guys who played Magic super casually. One guy actually traded me an entire set of Sphinx's Revelations and 2 Sacred Foundry's for a bunch of junk rares because he was "building a sphinx deck!" I probably made just short of $100 on that trade alone. My net investment was probably nothing.

Lesson #2: Don't play in an event unless you're confident that you can cash out. This is probably one of, if not the biggest reason I haven't gone to too many Grand Prixs and PTQs. It's a
lot easier to cash out at a local 5k because people don't travel hundreds of miles for those. The various GP/PTQ top 16s I have were when I was playing a deck I was super confident with. (Like GP Orlando when I was playing UG Infect in a field of Delver.)

Lesson #3: Don't raredraft. Draft to win and then reap your rewards later. Winning is going to net you more rares than just taking random $12 shocks and stuff.

Lesson #4: Learn to boxmap. It's helpful.

Lesson #5: Get a reputable ebay account, or find a vendor that will give you 75% cash-in. Coolstuff still gives me the employee buy rate (80%) when I sell to them, so generally any time I find/open money I have an almost equal exchange rate into cash.

Lesson #6: Learn to appraise EVERYTHING. Smartphones are a great tool, but if you're whipping out your phone to check prices on things, you'll often screw yourself over on trade value. If you seem like you know the price on EVERYTHING, you can convince people to trust the price you quote
on basically everything, which occasionally leads to some scumbag-ish trades in your favor.

tl;dr: Have no moral compass and be a scumbag as much as possible. I'm making this forum hate me more and more one post at a time.

Additional note for those single guys here who love to play Magic but have a hard time doing so responsibly:

Get a second bank account for your hobbies. When I started playing again back in Zendikar, I sold all of my "omg wtf" stuff from Mirrodin/Kamigawa and earlier to get back into the game. This left me with approximately $327. I did my research, outright bought the deck I wanted to play, (at the time it was RB Vampires) and eventually over the course of a few months I had managed to only dwindle the account down to about $35. It was at this point that I started playing via prize packs and any cash that I made via trades/taking cash from winnings went directly into the bank account again. By the time Scars of
Mirrodin came out, I was at just around $200, but I was getting substantially better with every event. It was during this block that I really learned how to turn the game into a job using the above methods. Right now my "Magic" account has $712.92 in it, and that's after buying myself a new Xbox with said money earlier this year.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat May 25, 2013 10:38 pm

Step #7: The Bitches

Once you get the money, you get the power. Once you get the power, you get the girl.

The whole world is just one giant pussy waiting to get fucked.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sun May 26, 2013 12:14 am

Just watched BG Control lose to Domri Aggro as the deck can't deal with him except with a few cards. My thought is that the deck would be better as a 3-color to get rid of gates and gain a means of dealing with planeswalkers.

Just saw some of the total idiot play James was speaking of...a guy playing Bantchantments against Act 2 wasn't hitting his enchantments, had 2 Smiters beating down on the Act 2 dude and brainlessly plays out 3 more creatures over 2 turns, evidently thinking to run over the Act 2 guy. The Act 2 pilot already had souls token and Artist on the field...drops Blasphemous Act and takes out everything plus gets the life swing. At that point the Bant player just chucks in...talk about going on tilt for a major fuck up. Sheesh.
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

Calamity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Calamity » Sun May 26, 2013 12:25 am

Just watched BG Control lose to Domri Aggro as the deck can't deal with him except with a few cards. My thought is that the deck would be better as a 3-color to get rid of gates and gain a means of dealing with planeswalkers.

Just saw some of the total idiot play James was speaking of...a guy playing Bantchantments against Act 2 wasn't hitting his enchantments, had 2 Smiters beating down on the Act 2 dude and brainlessly plays out 3 more creatures over 2 turns, evidently thinking to run over the Act 2 guy. The Act 2 pilot already had souls token and Artist on the field...drops Blasphemous Act and takes out everything plus gets the life swing. At that point the Bant player just chucks in...talk about going on tilt for a major fuck up. Sheesh.
Thats what you get for playing a retard proof deck like bant hexproof

You find out there's a level of intelligence below retarded lol
Official Firebat of FoS

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sun May 26, 2013 12:38 am

You just went full Bant. You never go full Bant.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Sun May 26, 2013 12:45 am

BG has abrupt decays. messenger,s desecration demons, and shit to kill domri. Yeah if he comes down on time he can be hard to deal with if they dont see one of their 4 decays but or beat him down with demons

First place Game Day woot! I played against said full retard Bantproof. He kept a hand of fog, centaur healer, unflinching courage, geist. He had no green sources.

I beat his face in.

I gave the playmat to the kid I beat twice (pre-top 8 and in top-8) who was playing esper. I felt bad because he miracled a terminus t2 but neglected ot cast it because I had just a stromkirk noble out. Then that stromkirk begain a srtomkirk+ LM, and then it went on. Felt good to give it to him since he's just learning magic still, got to top8, and the playmat had maze's end on it. I can't put my cards on maze's end, that'd just be gross

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sun May 26, 2013 12:50 am

Jund mirror with mirrored Sires on the board...total topdeck war. Two miracled Bonfires inside of 3 turns, the second FTW...pretty cool match overall.
Righteous sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sun May 26, 2013 1:01 am

BG has abrupt decays. messenger,s desecration demons, and shit to kill domri. Yeah if he comes down on time he can be hard to deal with if they dont see one of their 4 decays but or beat him down with demons

First place Game Day woot! I played against said full retard Bantproof. He kept a hand of fog, centaur healer, unflinching courage, geist. He had no green sources.

I beat his face in.

I gave the playmat to the kid I beat twice (pre-top 8 and in top-8) who was playing esper. I felt bad because he miracled a terminus t2 but neglected ot cast it because I had just a stromkirk noble out. Then that stromkirk begain a srtomkirk+ LM, and then it went on. Felt good to give it to him since he's just learning magic still, got to top8, and the playmat had maze's end on
it. I can't put my cards on maze's end, that'd just be gross
Nicely done Fate, both the win and the act of coolness.

Yeah, in that match the BG guy had nothing in-hand to get Domri and he was doing serious work. The guy finally had to cast Garruk making a wolf just to keep Domri off of ultimate, but not enough. Just to clarify, the control player started off with a handful of removal and was killing the Gruul player's every threat. Personally I think he should have taken hits from early Cackler and such to sit on a little of his removal (which would have stopped the Gruul player from hitting double Hellrider and beating him down); wouldn't have fixed the Domri issue, but he would have seen more turns.
Righteous sig by NBW

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Sun May 26, 2013 1:03 am

tentatively /in for Vegas, don't know what my life will look like come then but I'd love to make it

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sun May 26, 2013 1:56 am

UWR mirror...game went at least 4 turns longer than it should have due to multiple Aetherling errors for both players. Talk about a card that requires some play time to master...
Righteous sig by NBW

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun May 26, 2013 3:25 am

Grixis Control with Aeterling might be really good actually. Grixis is more interactive than Esper and Aerterling kills you super-quick and doesn't care about anything (including how much life you've gained).
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun May 26, 2013 3:33 am

Also, Grixis has a big edge in the control mirrors (counterflux, dreadbore, slaughtergames for their win-con).
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sun May 26, 2013 3:46 am

Couln't make gameday due to to work. Hmph. Got to make it tommorow so I can make it two gameday seasons in a row (won Gatecrash)

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sun May 26, 2013 3:47 am

Also holy shit Dane

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sun May 26, 2013 4:26 am

Also holy shit Dane
Where??
Righteous sig by NBW

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sun May 26, 2013 4:35 am

he was on the forums about an hour ago. Secret clan thread for more info

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sun May 26, 2013 4:38 am

Also, Grixis has a big edge in the control mirrors (counterflux, dreadbore, slaughtergames for their win-con).
Yeah, Esper can run both Ghost Dad and Aetherling, but SG is remarkable in the control mirror since it's uncounterable. I really like the looks of Dega Midrange/Control as well from a spell standpoint, but green is hard to ignore. Hmmmm.
Righteous sig by NBW

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun May 26, 2013 4:50 am

We need more lady killers.
New laptop, shinken, and a recently purchased Legacy Burn deck say that I can't go. I know you'll miss me terribly.

I guess I can trust you guys with the ladies.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sun May 26, 2013 4:51 am

Also holy shit Dane
Where??
On the VD SCD forum. Who knew?
Sig by NBW.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sun May 26, 2013 4:52 am

He's not dead :banana:
Sig by NBW.

Dane

Postby Dane » Sun May 26, 2013 4:57 am

Wow...looks like you horsefuckers stirred up some shit while I was on scholastic sabbatical. I'm working on like, 50 pages of stuff here.
I'm just amazed by how dumb you can consistently pretend to be.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun May 26, 2013 4:59 am

Bah. Couldn't make game day today. Three days of hard exercise, little food, lots of work, and next-to-no sleep caught up with me today. Vomited and fainted in a parking lot earlier this afternoon. Got checked into a hospital soon after for dehydration and exhaustion or whatever. I forgot how much I hate IVs.

Go smart, not hard, kids.
Last edited by Kazekirimaru on Sun May 26, 2013 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun May 26, 2013 4:59 am

Welcome back, Dane!

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sun May 26, 2013 5:11 am

Bah. Couldn't make game day today. Three days of hard exercise, little food, lots of work, and next-to-no sleep caught up with me today. Vomited and fainted in a parking lot earlier this afternoon. Got checked into a hospital soon after for dehydration and exhaustion or whatever. I forgot how much I hate IVs.

Are you alright? Are you out yet?
Sig by NBW.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun May 26, 2013 5:14 am

Yeah, I'm out and alright. I just needed to get my electrolytes back in order and such.

Dane

Postby Dane » Sun May 26, 2013 5:51 am

I got hard just reading this post.

That puts me at a record setting 2.5 inches.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun May 26, 2013 6:24 am

Sup Dane.

*fist bump*
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Dane

Postby Dane » Sun May 26, 2013 6:58 am

Yo, yo. Z.

By the by, because I'm in the middle of an episode, I just need to make sure you all know that Community is the best fucking show on the planet, and you should all watch it so we don't get stiffed with half a season again.

I just started a couple weeks before the end of the season, and as you can see, I've gone from casual user, to addict, to pusher.

But seriously, if you liked Arrested Development, this is likely up your alley. It's smart, often very meta humor.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun May 26, 2013 7:37 am

I liked Arrested Development, but a lot of it was due to Michael Cera.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”