[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Helios
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Helios » Sat May 25, 2013 3:55 am

I'm stoked for the nonbasic Manabarbs. Now that is a cool card. Good luck to everyone at FNM!

Does anyone else think Modern Masters is going to be one of Wizards few great successes?
My post has nothing to do with non-competitive players. I don't mind or really care what they do; theyre playing to have fun and that's fine. There is a very real problem though when players conolain about a lack of competitiveness and yet they're unwilling to play a tier 1 deck; or they whine that theyre preferred archetype isn't currently the best ~ you don't see that sort of entitled behaviour in other games; at least not nearly to the same extent.
To be fair, your post said "in magic," not "in competitive magic." I, for one, was
offended until you clarified. Because the flavor and social nature of the game is why I play Magic (and why I don't play MODO).

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat May 25, 2013 3:58 am

golgari control is very, very difficult to beat
Are you referring to the deck that took 6th last weekend at Nashville? Messenger, Desecration Demon, Tusk and removal?
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat May 25, 2013 4:08 am

Status update:
You guys & Futurama > term papers. This is a problem.
Sig by NBW.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat May 25, 2013 4:13 am

Status update:
You guys & Futurama > term papers. This is a problem.
Turn back, oh man; foreswear thy foolish ways! ;-)

Yeah, we're like any great catastrophe...you want to look away but can't!
Righteous sig by NBW

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat May 25, 2013 4:22 am

I'm stoked for the nonbasic Manabarbs. Now that is a cool card. Good luck to everyone at FNM!

Does anyone else think Modern Masters is going to be one of Wizards few great successes?
My post has nothing to do with non-competitive players. I don't mind or really care what they do; theyre playing to have fun and that's fine. There is a very real problem though when players conolain about a lack of competitiveness and yet they're unwilling to play a tier 1 deck; or they whine that theyre preferred archetype isn't currently the best ~ you don't see that sort of entitled behaviour in other games; at least
not nearly to the same extent.
To be fair, your post said "in magic," not "in competitive magic." I, for one, was offended until you clarified. Because the flavor and social nature of the game is why I play Magic (and why I don't play MODO).
I would have hoped that you guys know me well enough by now to know better, but OK.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Sat May 25, 2013 5:25 am

Are you referring to the deck that took 6th last weekend at Nashville? Messenger, Desecration Demon, Tusk and removal?
its scarier thn jund with victim of nights, better card draw, more reliable board wipes...

got mana screwed g2 though, even so it just has so much.. definitely will need threatens again if it gets popular.

still managed to take 1st though, guess he played some nonaggro after me

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat May 25, 2013 5:35 am

Yeah, I have played quite a bit of the GB control, it is very solid. Absolutely destroys the other midrange decks, but can be a little soft to dedicated control (you have a lot of issues if you cannot land an early PW or Underworld Connections).
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sat May 25, 2013 5:38 am

I would have hoped that you guys know me well enough by now to know better, but OK.
Your generally blunt nature makes it hard to tell on occasion. We only assume you're being a prick because we know that you're better than we are :p Consider it a compliment, homage to your prodigious skills.

And homage to redthirst's dick, of course.
Last edited by Helios on Sat May 25, 2013 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 25, 2013 5:42 am

its scarier thn jund with victim of nights, better card draw, more reliable board wipes...

got mana screwed g2 though, even so it just has so much.. definitely will need threatens again if it gets popular.

still managed to take 1st
though, guess he played some nonaggro after me
Decklist(or link) pretty please? My curiosity is piqued.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 25, 2013 5:44 am

Update on the home situation. Drug-addict female? Gone without a trace. Though, not from my doing. She left abruptly and took what few things she had and left her key upon the kitchen table. Apparently she found out the location of her mother and left to find her. Suits me fine.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sat May 25, 2013 5:45 am

Kaze, have you ever had "Red Tea" (called Rooibos)?

Whoawhoawhoa. I missed something here.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 25, 2013 5:47 am

Indeed. We have several Rooibos teas at our shop. Though none of them are straight.

Ah, yeah, I've had a bit of a thorn in my side for a few months. She's gone now, all is well. :smileup:
Catch up, if you like.
So, for the last four months or so, there's been this girl who has lived with my wife and I. Friend of a friend of my wife type deal. She was homeless and had no place to go(no family who liked her - in hindsight, that should have been a huge red flag) so I decided to take her in. She promised she&#
39;d be an awesome housemate and would get a job, clean, pay rent, et cetera. Well, long story short, she's an alcoholic drug addict and doesn't even have the capacity to put pants on in the afternoon let alone hold a job. I have no clue where she gets the money for all her weed and booze, but she often leaves with strange men, so I think I can piece together that puzzle. Oh, and she has a two-year-old daughter that she has no custody of. I've given her several chances for redemption and she constantly lets me down. I despise her yet pity her greatly as she obviously has been through a lot of shit in her life, and I think the latter is what has kept me from throwing her out until now. But now, I'm married. I want my house to be my own again. I want to have a home environment that's safe to bring my kin into if I chose to have children anytime soon. I want to look in the fridge and have it actually have food in it for once, dammit. Not to mention I'm getting spread real thin trying to
support a human who does absolutely nothing. I can't take this anymore. But, if I throw her out, she'll be on the streets. I don't know if I can do that. My wife is passive as ever, of course, and has left dealing with her all up to me.

What do you guys think I should do? Throw her out? How would I even go about that?

And before any of you sardonic asshats asks: no, she isn't hot.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sat May 25, 2013 5:51 am

Ya know what you shouldn't have to do when you buy a $1400 laptop? Fix shit. I expect everything to work, dammit.

Indeed. We have several Rooibos teas at our shop. Though none of them are straight.

Ah, yeah, I've had a bit of a thorn in my side for a few months. She's gone now, all is well. :smileup:
Went back and read some. Glad that problem fixed
itself :smileup:

I had a straight Rooibos tonight, and was pleasantly surprised. It smells like dirt, but has a great taste. Don't think I brewed it for long enough though, only did 2 minutes or so.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat May 25, 2013 5:53 am

Anyone have a semi-decent BW tokens deck list?
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 25, 2013 5:55 am

Ya know what you shouldn't have to do when you buy a $1400 laptop? Fix shit. I expect everything to work, dammit.

Ah, yeah, I've had a bit of a thorn in my side for a few months. She's gone now, all is well.
Went back and read some. Glad that problem fixed itself :smileup:

I had a straight Rooibos tonight, and was pleasantly surprised. It smells like dirt, but has a great taste. Don't think I brewed it for long enough though, only did 2 minutes or so.
Thanks, me too. :D

Straight Rooibos is treated the same as Black tea, I do believe. Three minutes at 195. May I ask where you got the tea? I've been looking for straight Rooibos.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 25, 2013 5:56 am

Anyone have a semi-decent BW tokens deck list?
Standard or Modern? Melissa DeTora took a snazzy BW tokens list to Gran Prix San Diego recently.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 25, 2013 6:04 am

I highly recommend The Great Gatsby, by the way, if anyone is looking to head to the cinema soon. Took the lady instead of going to FNM tonight.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat May 25, 2013 6:23 am

For standard. I don't like BW tokens in modern at all.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

lorddax
Tire Aficionado

Postby lorddax » Sat May 25, 2013 6:33 am

My Non FNM night was....well, pretty damn good. Instead of going to the movies I proposed a different activity for straight 2 hrs. Who knew in laws in the next room was such an aphrodisiac? /redthirstgrin
Last edited by lorddax on Sat May 25, 2013 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some men just want to watch the planes burn. . .and most of them are here.
FoS resident designer/codemonkey
MTGO:lorddax Cockatrice:lorddax

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sat May 25, 2013 6:40 am

Straight Rooibos is treated the same as Black tea, I do believe. Three minutes at 195. May I ask where you got the tea? I've been looking for straight Rooibos.
Kroger carries it bagged in the organic section; the brand is called Numi, I think. Organic, straight Rooibos. I don't know where to get it loose-leaf; I like to keep a variety of bagged teas around for when I have guests or need to make tea in a hurry:) Loose-leaf is for special occasions, when I have time to enjoy it.

2nd Gatsby, I enjoyed it. Well made movie, though I imagine reading the book would make it much better.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 25, 2013 6:46 am

Kroger carries it bagged in the organic section; the brand is called Numi, I think. Organic, straight Rooibos. I don't know where to get it loose-leaf; I like to keep a variety of bagged teas around for when I have guests or need to make tea in a hurry:) Loose-leaf is for special occasions, when I have time to enjoy it.

2nd Gatsby, I enjoyed it. Well made movie, though I imagine reading the book would make it much
better.
Ah, there's a Kroger in the city where I work. Most appreciated.

Yeah, the book is fantastic. The movie actually did a fantastic job of keeping true to story. Nothing changed; nothing left out but a few small details.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat May 25, 2013 6:55 am

Back to desiging Grixis Control decks featuring Master of Cruelties, aka Cruel Control 2.0 :D
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat May 25, 2013 7:24 am

Interesting spoiled cards from M14:

- ogre battledriver
- molten birth
- young pyromancer

Maybe some sort of battalion/token red deck? If you ever get to untap with battledriver, you're probably winning. Young Pyromancer seems pretty interesting, in either an aggro, aggro-control shell.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat May 25, 2013 7:42 am

MJ just won a draft with a deck including Azorius Elocutors (3 wins from counters) and Master of Cruelties (2 wins from ability into removal). Amazing :D
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 25, 2013 8:37 am

I ponder why they made "Elvish Mystic" instead of reprinting Llanowar Elves in M14.

RedNihilist
Tire Aficionado

Postby RedNihilist » Sat May 25, 2013 8:38 am

OT: thinking back about the old SC community I couldn't help but remember http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... c_id=44011

Be aware: it doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the discussion.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sat May 25, 2013 9:21 am

I ponder why they made "Elvish Mystic" instead of reprinting Llanowar Elves in M14.
They don't like the plural "Elves" in the name.
Sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sat May 25, 2013 9:38 am

hey Platypus, how'd you like the Loyalists in the side? I played your/Fate's list on Cockatrice a bit and will probably buy the cards soon, but Fate made a very strong argument that Ash Zealot was a very good SB card, more so than Loyalist, so that was all that I tested.
I had a reply done for the Gruul Sligh thread, but then the site stopped working.

I never sided in the Loyalists, since I didn't face any deck where they'd made any difference. I would probably have sided in Ash Zealots though, which means that they'd been a better choice yesterday. There were a few token-heavy decks around where the Loyalists would have made a difference, but I didn't face them. But even against them I think Pyreheart Wolves and Firefist Strikers would have
been enough to push damage through. So yeah, Ash Zealots in the SB is probably the better choice.
Sig by NBW

RedNihilist
Tire Aficionado

Postby RedNihilist » Sat May 25, 2013 11:27 am

So, in a matter of a couple of hours I'm going to try my luck at the Game Day.

I've took a bath, I'm reading Hesse, I've picked up my guitar after months, I'm basically doing EVERY THING I CAN in order to forget MtG before the tournament.

I've had similar experiences in the past, but for bigger, magic-unrelated events, and I find quite funny to find myself so fed up on a 15 people tournament in a little city like mine.

Aside from the fact that I'm regretting the younger days when I could REALLY prepare for an event like this (no girlfriend, no job), I was wondering if anybody else here feels the same tension before tournaments, and how you usually "play around it".

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... g8CWIasWi8#!

Sasky
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sasky » Sat May 25, 2013 11:54 am

Came in 9th at games day with esper control. Missed 8th after I drew with my opponent due to time out and lost out in terms of tiebreakers. :(
Back to desiging Grixis Control decks featuring Master of Cruelties, aka Cruel Control 2.0 :D
My last list after tuning the deck for about a month was this, if it's any help:
Grixis Control
[deck]
Creatures:10
3 Augur of Bolas
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Olivia Voldaren
1 Master of Cruelties

Spells:21
2 Pillar of Flame
4 Dissipate
1 Izzet Charm
2 Rakdos's Return
3 Searing Spear
3 Think Twice
2 Turn // Burn
4 Far //
Away

Planeswalkers:3
3 Ral Zarek

Lands:26
4 Blood Crypt
1 Desolate Lighthouse
3 Dragonskull Summit
4 Drowned Catacomb
2 Island
4 Steam Vents
4 Sulfur Falls
4 Watery Grave

Sideboard:15
2 Dispel
2 Pillar of Flame
1 Rakdos's Return
1 Turn // Burn
3 Izzet Staticaster
2 Evil Twin
1 Olivia Voldaren
2 Aetherling
[/deck]
More one drop elves for modern and legacy is always good.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Sat May 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Update on the home situation. Drug-addict female? Gone without a trace. Though, not from my doing. She left abruptly and took what few things she had and left her key upon the kitchen table. Apparently she found out the location of her mother and left to find her. Suits me fine.
That is welcome news, my friend. Change the locks anyway. :)
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 25, 2013 2:52 pm

More one drop elves for modern and legacy is always good.
That is quite true.
Oh, trust me, I am.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 25, 2013 2:56 pm

Progenitus and Sarkhan Vol are spoiled for MM now. As are Kiki and Vendilion Clique. And all the Swords of X and Y. Drafting this set is going to be godly.

Calamity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Calamity » Sat May 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Yeah I'm real pumped for drafting MM. My store is getting 40 boxes, selling 15 (for 170 a piece) and drafting the rest with MM ad prize support.
Official Firebat of FoS

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat May 25, 2013 4:35 pm

+1 here! Glad everything settled out, Kaze.

@zeman - My great nephew runs BW tokens with all the expected token generators and anthem, VNH, Sorin,
Bloodline Keeper, Vampire Interloper and lots of removal. It's not likely truly competitive, but the 9-year-old regularly snatches wins with it. If you want me to get the list, say so.

Brewing thought: Counter-burn with Ral Zarek, Electromancer, Gutter Snipe, Young Pyromancer, Phoenix? Pre-rotation there would be Snapcaster but all the garbage lifegain, post-rotation we lose both the pro and the cons (unless there is another broken lifegain engine). Burning Earth also looks interesting, though more so in mono-red burn. Even with new burn in M14, I don't think it's likely enough to overcome lifegain, but perhaps in the new block.

Ordered a playset of Master of Cruelties the other day because I know there has to be some fun to be had with it.

@Fate

Golgari Control

[deck]
24 LANDS
14 Swamp
4 Woodland Cemetery
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Golgari Guildgate

14 CREATURES
4 Desecration Demon
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Thragtusk
2 Disciple of Bolas

18 INSTANTS and
SORCERIES
4 Sign in Blood
3 Tragic Slip
3 Mutilate
3 Abrupt Decay
2 Cremate
2 Victim of Night
1 Putrefy

4 OTHER SPELLS
3 Liliana of the Veil
1 Garruk Relentless

SIDEBOARD
3 Duress
3 Appetite for Brains
2 Vraska the Unseen
2 Golgari Charm
2 Underworld Connections
2 Ground Seal
1 Mutilate[/deck]
Righteous sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat May 25, 2013 4:38 pm

Yeah I'm real pumped for drafting MM. My store is getting 40 boxes, selling 15 (for 170 a piece) and drafting the rest with MM ad prize support.

$170?!? Man, if you can get a box for that I will take it off your hands happily...
Righteous sig by NBW

Calamity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Calamity » Sat May 25, 2013 4:41 pm

$170?!? Man, if you can get a box for that I will take it off your hands happily...
They're taking names of store members and putting them in a hat to see who gets to buy them. Its about ad fair as you can make it, especially since they're drafting the rest
Official Firebat of FoS

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sat May 25, 2013 4:55 pm

I don't know how much MM our store is getting, but i'm drafting at least once

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Sat May 25, 2013 5:15 pm

I think I'm the only one not terribly excited for MM. I already own everything they've spoiled, except for Tarmagoyf (and even then, I don't plan on using any.....cuz I hate winning. XD).

Weirdly enough, I do like the new Manabarbs. I've always been a fan of the original, and with KDW, I don't exactly tap the Crucibles for enough mana to make the enchantment work against me....
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat May 25, 2013 5:24 pm

I think I'm the only one not terribly excited for MM. I already own everything they've spoiled, except for Tarmagoyf (and even then, I don't plan on using any.....cuz I hate winning. XD).

Weirdly enough, I do like the new Manabarbs. I've always been a fan of the original, and with KDW, I don't exactly tap the Crucibles for enough mana to make the enchantment work against me....
Nah, I don't care about MM either. I'm going to be in Vegas, but mostly because I want to take part in the likely once-in-a-lifetime Grand Prix experience that it promises to be. (It also helps that my friend is getting married the following weekend, so yeah.) The cards are very much
secondary, because like you, I have my modern staples already for the most part. I might pick up a 4th Vendillion Clique while I'm there, but other than that, I'm probably going to be flipping my MM spoils to try and get some Snapcasters before they skyrocket in price in the coming months. I'm currently holding 18 and I'd like to make it an even 30. If they're at like $20 now, I can imagine that this time next year they'll be around $50, so I'll probably sell them at that point.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”