Primer: R/w/x Aggro

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Draksil
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Draksil » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:30 pm

As always MDU great videos, love the commentary. In G1 against Boros Devotion, at 5:00 minutes, couldn't you have played a firedrinker aswell instead of leaving up a mutavault by paying with colorless and red for Lightning Strike? Would've given you another creature and won you that game

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:25 am

Kind of just sitting back and watching how the discussion and deck flow to. It is interesting to see that there are two directions the deck is heading towards: to YP$ or to NOT YP$. The holidays are gearing up around here so my contribution to the deck will be limited due to not having enough time and events being put almost to a stop until after holidays occur.

Times like this I wish I would sack up and play MODO but I can't justify to myself to pay for both paper and digital.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:44 am

I have 3+ GPTs and a GP in the next month. Busy, busy, busy.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:48 am

I firmly in the "will not maindeck boros reckoner cause he's too garbage in so many matchups" camp.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:12 am

Maybe it's ok in this deck? Less removal for dagrons.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:18 am

Maybe it's ok in this deck? Less removal for dagrons.
Its a meta call, lots of Gx or Ux Devotion then he is great, lots of Bx decks then he is a 3 for 3/3 which isn't awful just not optimal - I think playing 2-3 MD is fine (if your not running Shock or MJ, then I encourage 2-4 MD).

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:24 am

I'm not sure which build I prefer for my big tournaments this month... I play Big Boros or Walter White and alternate each week. No idea how the meta will look. It's a shot in the dark predicting the Japanese meta.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Another FNM in the books. Went 2-1 with this Adrian Sullivan's 75.

R1: VS Izzet Blitz

G1: Curve / Beat down / EoT burn > Dragon gets him.

G2: More of the same from me, this time he floods.

1-0-0

R2: VS Mono U Devotion

G1: My hand is decent, his is insane. [card]Judge's Familiar[/card] > Tidebinder Mage (on Cackler) > Tidebinder Mage (on Saytr) > Master of Waves (six tokens)

G2: 7 has one land, 6 has none. Settle on 5 card hand of Mountain, Mountain, Shock, Boros Reckoner, [card:
10e18691]Boros Reckoner[/card]. He has a similar hand and smacks me down.

1-1-0

R2: VS Jund Aggro

G1:I curve perfectly. FDS > RC + FDS > CP > BC + LS (for his Dreg Mangler, which was on defence).

G2: Sideboard out the small stuff and go full control. Fry a few smaller guys, Chain Exava, go over the top with 2x Dragons.

2-1-0

Updated List (This is where I'm 90% sure I want it after more testing) :

[deck]Lands (25)
13 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures (20)
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra’s Phoenix
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 StormBreath Dragon

Spells (15)
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Chained to the Rocks

Sideboard (15)
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Shock
1 Wear // Tear
Rod of Ruin
1 Assemble the Legion[/deck]

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:16 am

I like the list Johnny_Spike, but you really need to swap Chains for Boros Reckoner - because your lack of defense against small aggro (g1) seems lethal.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:06 pm

I like the list Johnny_Spike, but you really need to swap Chains for Boros Reckoner - because your lack of defense against small aggro (g1) seems lethal.
I don't like not having Chains in the MB. Reckoner in the MB has been awkward against a lot of my meta, so I prefer them in the SB. I don't see a lot of aggro in my meta. I'll continue to test, but I'm pretty sure this is where I want to be for the time being. I'll likely be testing tomorrow.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:17 pm

2-1-1 last night. Man, I have troubles with Esper (my loss and draw). Not sure if it's just our local variants or if I'm doing something wrong, but I cannot seem to beat them. I likely would have won the match I ended up drawing, but just couldn't close fast enough.

The other one, he just has all the answers. Creature removal, counters, Blood Baron, more counters. How is this matchup so easy for you guys? What is the general strategy for this MU?

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:23 pm

I switched over to a Big Boros list that MDU created and LazerBurn edited, which a couple tweaks of my own. Mainly, -1 Mountain for +1 Plains, -1 Chandra, Pyromaster for +1 [card]Elspeth, Sun's Champion[/card]. To be honest, Elspeth is probably a pet card for me, but I've seriously wanted to play with her since I saw the card. My inner Timmy loves soldiers, knights, humans, and angels waaay too much and she's like the poster girl for humans, soldiers, and knights in this game.

[deck]Boros Aggro with Elspeth[/deck]

I went to FNM last night at one of the less competitive stores in my area. Mainly because it's free and I like the people there. I ended up taking it, but the testing sample wasn't too good.

Round 1 vs Mono[mana]R[/mana]

I think this was a devotion list with Dragons but no Reckoners.

Game 1
Basically, this match was decided by 5 cards. My Rakdos Cackler vs his Rakdos Shred-Freak, his Lightning Strike vs my Chained to the Rocks, and my [card]Elspeth, Sun's Champion[/card]. Every other card between us was a non-[
card]Mutavault[/card]land. Seriously. This game was ridiculous. His deck runs 20 land and he drew half of them. I easily got up to 8 land myself despite scrying several land to the bottom.

His major play mistake was using Lightning Strike on me and not my Cackler. Once I hit 9-10 life, I decided to just use Chained to the Rocks on the Shred-Freak. It was the right move. Afterward, I eventually resolve Elspeth.

1-0

Sideboard: -4 Rakdos Cackler, -4 Firedrinker Satyr, -1 Shock, +2 Chained to the Rocks, +3 Boros Reckoner, +3 Mizzium Mortars, +1 Stormbreath Dragon

Game 2
I play the control this match up. I'm able to burn down a
lot of what he has, but he draws 3 [card]Chandra's Phoenix[/card]es this game. I'm only able to Chained to the Rocks one of them and he has a Chandra on the field. I basically kill 1 a turn so I can keep him from getting more value out of his cards. Thankfully, I resolve a Phoenix and a Dragon and I'm able to outrace him. At one point in the game he plays his own Dragon by I 2 for 1 myself to get rid of it ASAP.

2-0
Round 2 vs [mana]UW[/mana] Control

Basically, I sit down across from this guy and he says, "Well, I lost this one." To be honest, the matches were pretty easy. His deck is based around milling and I have [card]Chandra's Phoenix[/card] in my deck. His milling eventually gets me the Phoenixes I need to win.

I win this round 2-0.

Sideboard
: -2 Shock, -2 Chained to the Rocks, +3 Skullcrack, +1 Stormbreath Dragon
Round 3 vs [mana]GW[/mana] Homebrew

This guy is a Yu-Gi-Oh player who is taking a break and playing Magic instead. He has some good cards, questionable cards, and some bad play decisions.

Game 1
He's on the play and I'm able to remove every creature he has but a Witchstalker. He later plays a Bow of Nylea and pops enough counters on the damned thing until it's a 9/9 hexproof. I'm able to win the game by playing multiple [card]Chandra's Phoenix[/card]es and a Stormbreath Dragon to just push in damage through the air while I
have enough ground guys to chump block. He never uses his Bow to do anything but put a +1/+1 counter on his Witchstalker.

1-0

Sideboard: -2 Shock, -4 Firedrinker Satyr, -4 Rakdos Cackler, +2 Chained to the Rocks, +3 Boros Reckoner, +3 Mizzium Mortars, +1 Stormbreath Dragon, +1 Young Pyromancer

Game 2
He doesn't get a Witchstalkerthis game. Instead, he gets multiple Polukranos, World Eater and I chain them to rocks immediately. Otherwise, I'm able to force through enough damage and win. At one point though, he plays a [card]Predator's Rapport[/card] and gains
like 10 life.

2-0
Round 4 vs [mana]UW[/mana] Control (again)

This round goes exactly like the last one. Although, he does get 2 Codex Shredders on me and that was kind of miserable. I couldn't scry a thing to save my life, but birds in my graveyard are death for him. Same sideboard as last time.

2-0
Round 5 vs [mana]GW[/mana] Homebrew (again)

Game 1
I win this one pretty quickly. I have a fast aggro curve and just enough removal to keep his guys off the field. By the time he's able to resole a creature, my flying creatures finish it for me.

1-0

Sideboard: -2 Shock, -4 [card]
Firedrinker Satyr[/card], -4 Rakdos Cackler, +2 Chained to the Rocks, +3 Boros Reckoner, +3 Mizzium Mortars, +1 Stormbreath Dragon, +1 Young Pyromancer

Game 2
Basically, I flood out in mana this game and when I get to 6 mana I realize I don't have 2 [mana]W[/mana] sources so I can't play Elspeth. Only time it happened for the night, but I'm thinking I could use 1 more [mana]W[/mana] source.

1-1

Game 3
I get a triple Ash Zealot opening hand and use them to stall the ground where he has multiple Witchstalkers out. The critical play of the game came when he attacked with a 2 Witchstalkers and 1 [
card]Renegade Krasis[/card] with a +1/+1 counter on it. 2 Ash Zealots block a Witchstalker, 1 Ash Zealot blocks the Krasis and after I set up my blockers, I cast Magma Jet on it to get a 1/1 token and chump the other. After that, he didn't have enough board presence and I pushed through for the win.

Later in the game, he cast Giant Growth on a Elvish Mystic then cast [card]Predator's Rapport[/card] on it to get 8 life, but it only bought a turn or two.

2-1
Round 6 vs [mana]B[/mana][mana]W[/mana] Devotion (splash [mana]W[/mana] )

Game 1
I'm going second, but I
hit a fast aggro curve and basically punch him to death for the win. He gains a fair amount of life this game, but it wasn't enough. By the time he stalls up the board with a Gray Merchant of Asphodel and a Desecration Demon and I draw the 3 burn I need to win.

1-0

Sideboard: -2 Shock, -1 Flames of the Firebrand, -2 Young Pyromancer, -1 Magma Jet, +3 Skullcrack, +1 Stormbreath Dragon, +2 Chained to the Rocks

Game 2
This game goes 22 turns in the end. He only draws a single creature, a lone Gray Merchant, but draws every removal spell in the world. He thought seizes my Elspeth, and then uses some form of removal to kill 1 Chandra, 3 Dragons, a few
Ash Zealots, Rakdos Cacklers, and Firedrinker Satyrs. The game comes to an end when I get 2 Lightning Strikes to finish him off at 4 health. He digs to find a Cure, does, kills his own mutavaultand then still dies because he's at 3.

2-0
Overall, I like this deck a lot more than PyroWhite. It felt like PyroWhite needed that last little bit of punch at the end of the game to get the win. But that said, this deck plays almost exactly the same as PyroWhite did. The interactions between Young Pyromancer and Spells are lessened but honestly, I wasn't seeing too much of those in my of my games that weren't vs G/x.

I need to test Elspeth more, but I think she's in a good place as a 1 of in the current 75. I could possibly see a 2 of if the lands were increased by 1 and if
the Young Pyromancers were moved to the sideboard or out entirely, but I don't think that would be worth it.

To the main 60, I could see making 1 more edit to the deck, and that's -1 Mutavaultfor +1 Plains or Boros Guildgate. I feel like 10 white sources is probably enough to get Elspeth out more consistently. Sideboard wise, it's still up in the air.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:06 am

@DerWille, this list is just too awesome for words....

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:18 am

Elspeth seems uncastible on 24 lands... :(

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:17 am

Just missed the top 8:

Boros Aggro
Brian Lynch
9th Place at StarCityGames.com Standard Open on 11/24/2013
Standard

[deck]Creatures (23)
4 Ash Zealot
3 Boros Reckoner
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Planeswalkers (2)
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands (25)
14 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Spells (10)
2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike

Sideboard (15)
1 Boros Reckoner
2 Assemble the Legion
2 Blind Obedience
2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Shock
1 Wear // Tear
1 Tajic, Blade of the Legion
2 Mizzium Mortars[/deck]

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:24 am

Please delete this post.
Last edited by Lightning_Dolt on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:20 am

Please delete this post.
Last edited by Lightning_Dolt on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:13 am

Please delete this post.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:51 am

Please delete this post.

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:14 am

Elspeth seems uncastible on 24 lands... :(
As a 1 of, it hasn't been too bad. Variance was weird last night and I drew her in my opening 7 more than I should have. During those games I found that she was stranded in my hands not because I didn't have 6 mana but because I didn't have [mana]WW[/mana]. That's why I'm thinking 1 more [mana]W[/mana] source is probably what I need. I'm not sure if that should be -1 Mutavault or -1 Mountain for a +1 Plains or a +1 Boros Guildgate.

Another variance thing, last night, I only drew dragons when I sided in my foil dragon post board. All night I only drew that dragon except for the
last game where I drew all 3 and they met their untimely ends to Hero's Downfall and Doom Blade.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:31 am

just realized how painfully bad the video quality was on these videos... sorry for spamming the forum with that :( . Won't be making more.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Johnny_Spike & Zooligan, how is the 25 land variant with Boros Charm against MonoU, Esper, BG and Gr devotion? I don't understand how the deck wins with such limited spot removal and token swarms, even the weenies MU looks kinda scary.

The "PRO" red players are winning with the list, I just kinda dismissed it at glace, what I'm I missing here?

referring to this list:

[deck]LANDS 25
13 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

CREATURES 23
4 Ash Zealot
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Boros Reckoner

INSTANTS and SORCERIES 10
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
2 Mizzium Mortars

OTHER SPELLS 2
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

SIDEBOARD
1 Boros Reckoner
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Assemble the Legion
4 Chained to the Rocks
1 Chandra's Outrage
4 Shock
1 Wear / Tear[/deck]

I may have to man up
and fork out $20 to test it.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:29 pm

I like them, and seem to do well with them.

VS Esper / UW Control, you just beat them.

B/g is rough.

Gr seems about even.

VS weenie decks G1 you basically want to clog up the ground with Zealots on D and reckoners, then go over the top. G2 you go full control and pivot the deck that way.

Mono U you play control too.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:27 pm

I only play paper on one or two nights a week -FNM and a free Saturday tournie for store cred. The FNM is heavily mono black and Esper, while the Saturday thing is the same 15 players generally from FNM plus a bunch of aggro.

When I run 25 land, Boros charm, Reckoner in the side on Friday, I do ok against black and Esper (this last Friday I took out the charms and couldn't close against Esper, the Boros charm is versatile in that mu, if only to bait out their counters.). On Saturday tho, I lose to all-in red. Too fast.

That list MDU posted does seem to me too have too little burn/removal. I run 4 charm, 4 strike, 4 jet , 2 CttR main / 3 Skullcrack, 2 CttR, 2 mortars side.
Last edited by Zooligan on Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:28 pm

I tried Boros Aggro (both version, lazer tweak by mistake and the version in question) I won both games, here is the Boros Aggro I'm currently testing:

[deck=73/75 Stolen]LANDS 25
13 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

CREATURES 23
4 Ash Zealot
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Boros Reckoner

4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
2 Mizzium Mortars

OTHER SPELLS 2
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

SIDEBOARD
1 Boros Reckoner
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Assemble the Legion
4 Chained to the Rocks
1 Hammer of Purphoros
4 Shock
1 Rod of Ruin[/deck]

I'm at 401 tixs, so I won't be-able to test anymore games unless I find away to unload my boosters without putting myself in a lost.

My thoughts on the list:
1) It Mulls great (its been a very long time since I played with 25 lands)
2) It can
beat small aggro solely because Boros Reckoner MD is boss
3) It can beat control because Boros Charm MD is boss

The Achilles heel is the Bx MU, I'm hoping Assemble the Legion and Hammer of Purphoros is enough to hold them back, if I do get to sell my boosters and test against more Control list - I'll try and workout if I can cut hammer for another Assemble the Legion.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:34 pm

I tried Boros Aggro (both version, lazer tweak by mistake and the version in question) I won both games, here is the Boros Aggro I'm currently testing:

[deck=73/75 Stolen]LANDS 25
13 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

CREATURES 23
4 Ash Zealot
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Boros Reckoner

4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
2 Mizzium Mortars

OTHER SPELLS 2
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

SIDEBOARD
1 Boros Reckoner
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Assemble the Legion
4 Chained to the Rocks
1 Hammer of Purphoros
4 Shock
1 Rod of Ruin[/deck]

I'm at 401 tixs, so I won't be-able to test anymore games unless I
find away to unload my boosters without putting myself in a lost.

My thoughts on the list:
1) It Mulls great (its been a very long time since I played with 25 lands)
2) It can beat small aggro solely because Boros Reckoner MD is boss
3) It can beat control because Boros Charm MD is boss

The Achilles heel is the Bx MU, I'm hoping Assemble the Legion and Hammer of Purphoros is enough to hold them back, if I do get to sell my boosters and test against more Control list - I'll try and workout if I can cut hammer for another Assemble the Legion.
Don't like hammers in this style of list. You don't want to be saccing lands really.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:34 pm

Any thoughts on switching Reckoner for Frostburn as more flexible tech? It's not quite as good vs aggro, but better vs control (4 damage vs 3 when un opposed and comes down a turn earlier) and gives you a way to convert mana to damage without using your limited direct-damage burn.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Any thoughts on switching Reckoner for Frostburn as more flexible tech? It's not quite as good vs aggro, but better vs control (4 damage vs 3 when un opposed and comes down a turn earlier) and gives you a way to convert mana to damage without using your limited direct-damage burn.
Hate frostburn weird. I believe it is a trap card.

Also, preliminary testing has indicated that blind obedience is tech. I'm not sure which other decks you want it against, but it was really good vs control. Their blood barons / aetherlings entering tapped and not being able to block, and extort triggers doing 4 damage + the lethal ping felt good.

Anyone else willing to try it out?

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:46 pm

What makes it a trap card? Mono blue uses it well.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:09 pm

What makes it a trap card? Mono blue uses it well.
And if we were a devotion deck without access to shred freak, BTE and ash zealot I might consider it too. We're a mana hungry aggro deck.

It's a 1/4. I't requires open mana to make it even remotely aggressive. Everytime I change the p/t it eats shock. I'm just not a fan at all.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:34 am

The deck is only mana hungry for the first 6 turns, since you have 0 deck fixing your also bound to draw many worthless spells and lands.

Against Control (when it goes the distance) Hammer is your best friend (you don't need to sac a land every turn to gain value just giving your 1cc spells haste is enough).

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:41 am

The deck is only mana hungry for the first 6 turns, since you have 0 deck fixing your also bound to draw many worthless spells and lands.

Against Control (when it goes the distance) Hammer is your best friend (you don't need to sac a land every turn to gain value just giving your 1cc spells haste is enough).
Feel free to test them (hammer and weird) but they didn't work for me.

I'll be testing every night this week in all likelihood. Will try to post what I learn. Two GPTs this weekend.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:11 am

Feel free to test them (hammer and weird) but they didn't work for me.

I'll be testing every night this week in all likelihood. Will try to post what I learn. Two GPTs this weekend.
Had a chance to test multiple games against a reputable
player running MonoU with the list I posted above, he crushed me and my $6 :cry: (yeah... I didn't learn my lesson and faced him 3 times during two mans... till I switched to rage tears).

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:43 am

I am most sympathetic MDU, I still have bad memories of losing to 4 MonoU decks in a row in the 2 mans 'shudder' :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:46 am

@MDU

Would two maindeck chains have made a difference?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:03 am

@MDU

Would two maindeck chains have made a difference?
He just had the nuts everytime and crushed me, 2 chains MD would have a huge diff. MonoU, Bx and Gx devotion.

I think with the lack of shocks and jets, you have >50% chance of wining against MonoU game 1 because Tidebinder Mage, Cloudfin Raptor, Nightveil Specter and Frostburn Weird is enough to halt you let alone the god and MoW.

G2+3 is better with shocks but its not favorable... which is bad because your almost bound to lose G1.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:10 am

Ok don't know where to post so will post here.

We have seen 3 big event this weekend:

Grand Prix Albuquerque Top 16:

6 Mono Black
4 Mono U
1 Naya Agro
1 Boros Burn
1 Esper Control
1 Gr Devotion
1 Rw Red Agro
1 Wr White Weenie Agro

StarCityGames.com Standard Open Top 16

5 Mono Blue Devotion
2 Mono Black Devotion
1 Jund Midrange
1 Wr White Weenie Agro
1 Wb White Weenie Agro
2 BG Agro
1 Rw Red Agro
1 Boros Big Agro
1 Mono Red
1 Junk Midrange

StarCityGames.com Classic Top 8

3 Mono Blue Devotion
1 Mono Black Devotion
1 Gr Devotion
1 Esper Control
1 UW Control
1 Wr White Weenie Agro

To sumarize:

12/40 Mono Blue
9/40 Mono Black
4/40 Red Based Agro
4/40 Wx White Weenie
3/40 UW based Control
2/40 Gr Ramp Devotion
2/40 BG Agro
1/40 Naya Agro
1/40 Jund Mirange
1/40 Junk Midrange
1/40 Boros Burn

How to attack meta like that ? Which version we are talking right now?

Where
should I post that kind of post?

Dunno about YP$ vs Black, as they incorporated Shrivel to their SB which is serious business right now.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:31 am

Thanks for the info, only 3 UWx decks :frown: I needed them to keep checks and balances.

I would opt for Boros Aggro, Boros Burn or Rwb Burn in the current meta, monored doesn't cut it anymore.

Looking at your sources one would think the Rwb burn deck with 10 control spells MD looks prime (I wouldn't run it on MODO but if you expect the meta to stay the same it looks darn solid).

On a side note: How do you guys rate SCG events? I recall, someone telling me its like a huge FNM

Quoted from our local Grim Lavamancer:
Thoughts on SCG and Pros
What do you think of 'pro' players?

My views on pro players are quite controversial, but I assure you that they are based on both talking to and playing against them. I firmly believe there are two types of Pros ~ Good and Bad. Examples of Good Pros: Most
Japanese players, LSV, Michael Jacob, Jon Finkel, Brian Kibler. Examples of Bad Pros: the entirety of SCG Blue and Mike Flores (especially Mike Flores). This isn't necessarily two polar extremes, most players fit somewhere on the spectrum between those two points. My issue with the Bad Pros is exactly, that, they're bad. Most of these players are just known players on the SCG circuit, which if you have not played in it, is like a big FNM ~ the skill level is many levels lower than a GP or even MTGO. Success at an SCG event means very little in the scheme of things.

My greater concern is that it is very much the bad Pros that actively court cults of personality and force their opinions into the public, for less experienced and knowledgeable players to eat up and spout like gospel. Why do they do this? Because they don't win a lot of money playing and they desperately need to supplement their income. A lot of the very best players in the world, like Finkel, Martell and Vidugiris work 50
hour weeks and still frequently Top 32 on the PT. Compare that level of achievement to the SCG Blue team who play magic full time and do....basically nothing? LSV and MJ might be full time players as well, but that is only made possible by the huge amount of success they have had.

The other common misconception is that these Pros are unbeatably good at the game. Kibler went 0-3 (after his byes) drop at the last modern GP, and 1-3 drop at the one before that ~ and he is a top level, dual PT winning player. They can be beaten, especially the lesser ones. I have won matches against most name players online (except MJ, I have never beaten MJ in a match), and have a crushing record against Todd Anderson, which is fine, because he publicly admitted to bullying his wife to let him become a pro player ~ oh, that's the other thing, the lifestyle is not all its cracked up to be either, unless you're one of the Good Pros.

It is fine and good to respect these people, who educate and
entertain us. But when it verges on hero worship, it not only doesn't help your own game develop, but it sets you back greatly ~ how can you beat someone if even in your imagination, they always have the answers?

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:08 am

Thanks for the info, only 3 UWx decks :frown: I needed them to keep checks and balances.

I would opt for Boros Aggro, Boros Burn or Rwb Burn in the current meta, monored doesn't cut it anymore.

Looking at your sources one would think the Rwb burn deck with 10 control spells MD looks prime (I wouldn't run it on MODO but if you expect the meta to stay the same it looks darn solid).

On a side note: How do you guys rate SCG events? I recall, someone telling me its like a huge FNM

Quoted from our local Grim Lavamancer:
Thoughts on SCG and Pros
What do you think of 'pro' players?

My views on pro players are quite
controversial, but I assure you that they are based on both talking to and playing against them. I firmly believe there are two types of Pros ~ Good and Bad. Examples of Good Pros: Most Japanese players, LSV, Michael Jacob, Jon Finkel, Brian Kibler. Examples of Bad Pros: the entirety of SCG Blue and Mike Flores (especially Mike Flores). This isn't necessarily two polar extremes, most players fit somewhere on the spectrum between those two points. My issue with the Bad Pros is exactly, that, they're bad. Most of these players are just known players on the SCG circuit, which if you have not played in it, is like a big FNM ~ the skill level is many levels lower than a GP or even MTGO. Success at an SCG event means very little in the scheme of things.

My greater concern is that it is very much the bad Pros that actively court cults of personality and force their opinions into the public, for less experienced and knowledgeable players to eat up and spout like gospel. Why do they do this?
Because they don't win a lot of money playing and they desperately need to supplement their income. A lot of the very best players in the world, like Finkel, Martell and Vidugiris work 50 hour weeks and still frequently Top 32 on the PT. Compare that level of achievement to the SCG Blue team who play magic full time and do....basically nothing? LSV and MJ might be full time players as well, but that is only made possible by the huge amount of success they have had.

The other common misconception is that these Pros are unbeatably good at the game. Kibler went 0-3 (after his byes) drop at the last modern GP, and 1-3 drop at the one before that ~ and he is a top level, dual PT winning player. They can be beaten, especially the lesser ones. I have won matches against most name players online (except MJ, I have never beaten MJ in a match), and have a crushing record against Todd Anderson, which is fine, because he publicly admitted to bullying his wife to let him become a pro player ~ oh,
that's the other thing, the lifestyle is not all its cracked up to be either, unless you're one of the Good Pros.

It is fine and good to respect these people, who educate and entertain us. But when it verges on hero worship, it not only doesn't help your own game develop, but it sets you back greatly ~ how can you beat someone if even in your imagination, they always have the answers?
People on this forum don't really respect SCGOs at all. I on the other hand, think there has to be some talent that will rise to the top of a 500 person tournament.

With that meta breakdown, there are only two decks that matter, Mono U control, and Mono Black control.

We need to devise a build that is good vs those two, and decent vs random shit.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:50 am

If we want to focus on beating both those decks then starting with 4x Chains is good, Lightning Strike hits the 2/3 from both decks, while Fotfb does a number on MonoBlue while killing pack rats and 2/3 from the black side.

Chandra + Chandra's Phoenix is strong vs both so:

We have MD:
04x Chained to the Rocks
04x Lightning Strike
02x Flames of the firebrand
04x Chandra's Phoenix
02x Chandra, Pyromaster

From here we need a manabase, creature swarm is good vs black but poor vs blue thus we should use 4x vaults which good vs black and at least acts like land vs monoU

Lands MD:
(+)10x Mountain
4x Mutavault
4x Sacred Foundry
4x Temple of Triumph

From this point things get tricky, you need cheap burns to beat MonoU but cheap burns are weak vs black, you want cheap creatures for black but cheap creatures are bad vs blue.

Dragon's while not great vs Blue or Black look good here, since they'e at least
decent vs both thus based on your land count you may want to add 1-3, I personally like Magma jet for deck fixing (you need to find your chains on time or you will die) everything else is tough.

- - - - - - -

how does this look:

[deck]U and B hate[/deck]

....omg i kinda like the deck...

Sideboarding Plan:

Monoblack

Out:
03x Shock
02x Magma Jet

In:
03x Skullcrack
n02x Act of Treason

MonoU

Out:
4x Firedrinker Satyr
4x Rakdos Cackler

In:
03x Mizzium Mortars
03x Boros Reckoner
01x Rod of Ruin (eighth edition)
01x Shock

UWx Control

Out:
04x Chained to the Rocks
02x Flames of the Firebrand (vs esper)

In:
03x Skullcrack
01x Shock
02x Mizzium Mortars (vs esper)

(big/devo) RWx

Out:
4x Firedrinker Satyr
4x Rakdos Cackler
2x Flames of the Firebrand

In:
03x Mizzium Mortars
n03x Boros Reckoner
02x Act of Treason
02x Peak Eruption

If you guys win the next big event with this list make sure to mention me :jam:.
Last edited by magicdownunder on Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Archives”