[Primer] PyroRed

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Helios
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Helios » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:15 am

Awe shit, well sorry to hear you won't be able to play tomorrow :(

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:15 am

What's keeping you from playing tomorrow? That's an unfortunate turn of events.

InflatablePie

Postby InflatablePie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:50 pm

(And by always I mean in the only other competitive REL event I've played in years, which was a IQ in Tampa.)
You play in Tampa, or just nearby?
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know if you're being lied to?

The answer? Use a gun. And if that don't work... use more gun.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:47 pm

Congrats on top 4 :)

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:52 pm

If you do end up writing about the deck on another site, we'd appreciate it if you would credit it appropriately, preferably with a link to this site. :)
Will do! I've always used the deck designer box on normal deck registration sheets to credit James 'Zemanjaski" Fazzolari, magicdownunder, and Collin "purp" Schwartz on
the regular WOTC deck sheets. (And by always I mean in the only other competitive REL event I've played in years, which was a IQ in Tampa.) SCG doesn't have a deck designer box on their sheet though.

I really view the work that you all do here as say something like building a ocean liner, Z is the architect with all the theory who lays down the plans, MDU is the foreman who really builds the ship and gets it's engine humming, and then there are the pilots, like purp, who take it out to sea and ride it into the waves.

@Khaos: if my name sounds familiar to you, it may be, I'd been playing magic in Tampa Bay for about 14 years now, which is a long time, but also I'm pretty much an FNM/prerelease/commander player. I think the last time I went to a competitive REL event before this winter, was an extended PTQ back when Invasion was still legal in extended. I know I ask dumb questions, but I do get great answers; like opt for Gatorade instead of water, that was a fantastic suggestion; also bringing a
note pad was a great idea.

I'm not really the best note taker in the world of magic, but I still have my score pad from the day and I'll try and write up my recollections of the matches here.

Sorry I can't bring home the cup for you guys.
Let's hope he gives credit tomorrow if he wins it. Seriously. That list is straight up taken from here, but his teammates tried to tell me it was a completely original design by him, made just the other day. Seriously. Nobody just comes up with Pyrewild, 3/1 split on Shock and Flames, sideboard Fanatics, and sideboard Rod of Ruin.
I don't know who said they were my teammate, not really on a team; other then team Red, which is the best team ever. I've also been playing this deck for over 2 months with no changes, so it's not new by any means. I'd even
argue that mine and purps list is quite outdated at this point.
James, do you play at Shortstops? I noticed that we actually have a mutual friend on Facebook, and I think that I may have seen you there the couple of times I went to Shortstops.

I admit I overreacted when I saw the list and then remembered what some of these guys were saying in Orlando. Whether or not these dudes know you, they definitely gave the impression that they knew you and your deck. I guess it doesn't matter at this point.

Anyways, major congratulations, bro! You played really well. And you proved that PyroRed was better than my Big Fucking Dragon deck. :D
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

amcfvieira

Postby amcfvieira » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:19 am

@Guttler

Congrats :)

I need some help guys to make some changes in my deck untill Born of Gods be released. The store I play change very much the meta and now Red deck are everywhere... Saturday it's about 50% of the meta and all Big Boros, Boros Tokens and Red/Boros devotion. I feel that Firedrinker Satyr is so bad there now. Control reduce a lot their numbers and only see one or two Esper or UW. I'm thinking in two paths:
1st swap Firedrinker to sideboard and replace it by Reckoner or Chain to the rocks and more burn, maybe changing my sideboard with some number of Peak Eruption or other hate card.
2nd Change my 75 significantly, maybe go to Pyrodragons or Tokens myself.
I'm thinking in the first because I really like the deck and it seems that feet me like a glove. Maybe go to a mix include some Dragons (maybe 2). I really don't
have much problems with other match. Saturday made 4-1: lose 0-2 to Rw Devotion, winning 2-0 against Mono U, 2-0 against RG Devotion, 2-1 against Winnie splash red (screwed in first game in 2 lands until the end), and 2-1 against Rw Tokens (lossing first and made a crazy sideboarding in games 2 and 3).
Give me your experience to make it more meta call.

My 75:
[deck]Lands 23
12 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 20
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Ash Zealot

Enchantments 02
2 Chained to the Rocks

Instants 10
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock

Sorcery 02
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers 03
3 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Skullcrack
2 Boros Charm
2 Act of Treason[/deck]
Legacy: IZZET DELVER ; BURN
Modern: TEMPO TWINS ; UR STORM ; BURN
Standard: Work in Progress

Guttler
Newcomer

Postby Guttler » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:42 am

@Khaos Shortstops is my home store. I'm always there for FNM. You should come play some magic with us. Shortstops plays host to some well known players in Tampa Bay regularly. Steven Mann and Logan Mize always show up for our Monday night magics, and the famous Melissa DelTora even comes to our FNMs now since she started dating TCG writer Frank Lepore.

I believe you're Justin Aldermann right? We are both in the florida Gathering for Magic facebook group, which is where you may know my name from also.

@InflatablePie I have made the commute over to Learn 2 Play games in Tampa before, but I usually play in Pinellas County.

Thanks to everyone for all the congratulations.

Top8ing the open earned me an invite to one of the SCG Invitationals, I'd love to take on one of those with a DTR red deck. :)

@RaidaTheBlade Can you congratulate
Tyler Wilkerson for me. I tried to find him on facebook to send it myself, but couldn't locate him.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:18 am

Congratulations again james! Love to get a write up from you whenever you can!

Everyone Tweet @CedricAPhillips asking for James to be featured in this weeks "Industry standard" artcile

yurp yurp

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:59 am

Do we really want Cedric "Stonewright and Hellrider are unplayable" Phillips to touch anything even relating to one of our decks again?

I know he's the head editor and all, but the guy doesn't know shit. :shrug:

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:03 am

James would write the article, not cedric.

yurp yurp

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:09 am

Ced would go behind him and edit in bad/irrelevant information, he always does.

I would rather, as an SCG employee, have the article on CFB. :scared:

Kyarie
Newcomer

Postby Kyarie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:16 am

Little late but congrats, Guttler/James - sorry you couldn't try for the win.

vundo
Newcomer

Postby vundo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:32 am

quick report of my CQ
R1: win
2-0 BW midrange - just killed him

R2: win
2-0 BW midrange - just killed him

R3: loss :(
1-2 esper midrange - blood baron + obzedat/demon + whip all 3 games; i flooded hard g1 and g3

R4: win
2-0 esper midrange - drew my non land cards, killed a lot of his stuff, and even got to glare a dsphere holding 2 of my chains

R5: win
2-0 naya midrange - killed him with a flood of zealots/phoenix in g1, phoenixes+chandra in g2.

Not much detail because for my wins, they just died. Aside from 1 exactsies win, i had more than enough burn+creatures+cards in hand for the rest of my wins

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:03 am

Well done Vundo_ we have have 5 DtR members in the finals :smileup: did you go with Lazerburn list?

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:17 am

So, RB got Dark Confidant.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:21 am

Not even close to Bob, it need three turns in play (unless you give it haste) to draw 1 card assuming it gets past the attack phase.
Last edited by magicdownunder on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:17 am

@ Guttler - Well done! :)

@ vundo - Well done! :)

@ amcfvieira - If you want to stick with YP then Reckoners main over FDS is a good change for that meta (Pedros did this with great success at GP Vienna, his list is in the Primer) as is adding Dragons (Longtoe won a PE with my latest take on MDU's PyroDragons build, the list is a page or so back). I'd check out the Big Boros thread too though as the current 75 over there is posting solid results and the general opinion seems to be that it is better poised in the current meta.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Keftenk

Postby Keftenk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:41 am

Not even close to Bob, it need T3 turns in play (unless you give it haste) to draw 1 card assuming it gets past the attack phase.
It's probably too much, at least for an aggro deck, but we could always Springleaf Drum it.

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:39 am

I quite like the 1RRR instant burn 5 + scry 2. Deals with end of your turn worm token, Polukranos, BBoV and any planeswalker in the format. Advent of the Worm is such a beating at the moment, especially if turn 4 they flash it in and turn 5 slap a boon satyr or unflinching courage on it.

amcfvieira

Postby amcfvieira » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:57 am

@ amcfvieira - If you want to stick with YP then Reckoners main over FDS is a good change for that meta (Pedros did this with great success at GP Vienna, his list is in the Primer) as is adding Dragons (Longtoe won a PE with my latest take on MDU's PyroDragons build, the list is a page or so back). I'd check out the Big Boros thread too though as the current 75 over there is posting solid results and the general opinion seems to be that it is better poised in the current meta.
Thanks, LaZerBurn! I go check all this decks and take some ideas.

MattT

Postby MattT » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:33 am

Not even close to Bob, it need three turns in play (unless you give it haste) to draw 1 card assuming it gets past the attack phase.
Indeed not. Pity.

EDIT: T1 Thoughtseize into Pain Seer could actually be a good thing. PyroBlack might have something here.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:44 pm

@Khaos Shortstops is my home store. I'm always there for FNM. You should come play some magic with us. Shortstops plays host to some well known players in Tampa Bay regularly. Steven Mann and Logan Mize always show up for our Monday night magics, and the famous Melissa DelTora even comes to our FNMs now since she started dating TCG writer Frank Lepore.

I believe you're Justin Aldermann right? We are both in the florida Gathering for Magic facebook group, which is where you may know my name from also.

@InflatablePie I have made the commute over to Learn 2 Play games in Tampa before, but I usually play in Pinellas County.

Thanks to everyone for all the congratulations.

Top8ing the open earned me an invite to one of the SCG Invitationals, I'd love to take on
one of those with a DTR red deck. :)

@RaidaTheBlade Can you congratulate Tyler Wilkerson for me. I tried to find him on facebook to send it myself, but couldn't locate him.
If I can ever manage to get another Saturday off, I'd love to come play again over there for FNM. The drive is what kills me- Shortstops is about a solid half hour from my house and I usually work early Saturday mornings. Though I have been to a few win a box tournaments on Monday. I'll try to make it up there next week if I can.

And yes, you are correct - I'm the same Justin in the Gathering group. That's why you're name was so familiar to me, lol.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:21 pm

What Z was elluding to was that Seer is as close to a Dark Confidant effect as we could possibly have imagined getting in Standard. That's good enough for me.

I am going to play the hell out of this card. It's definitely a build-around card, but he fits quite well in UB Tempo or RB aggro. You just want combat tricks and cheap removal to go with him.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:30 pm

How does it fit in RB aggro at all? Comes down on turn 2, attacks on turn 3 (2/2 with no FS, will probably die), then on t4 you get the reward... how is this ever better than dropping YP$, Ashley, SPike Jester or Rat?

yurp yurp

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Dammit, Owen Turtenwald is telling people to maindeck 2x Pharika's Cure in MBD:
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles ... n-indywin/
Pharika's Cure is the single best black card in Standard for fighting fast aggro decks
Hopefully no-one listens to him

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Purp, I will appease you when I have the time.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Dammit, Owen Turtenwald is telling people to maindeck 2x Pharika's Cure in MBD:
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles ... n-indywin/
Pharika's Cure is the single best black card in Standard for fighting fast aggro decks
Hopefully no-one listens to him
Doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Yes, it "effectively" 2for1s you (kills your dude, undoes a Magma Jet/Shock) but it probably doesn't fix the matchup for them that much. The matchup is pretty heavily favored against them.

DriftingLifted
Newcomer

Postby DriftingLifted » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:45 pm

Jon Stern voiced the same thing about Mono B in his version on Mana Deprived. All my testing assumes 2 cures main now and a one-of of lifebane zombie. Which sucks when it's followed up by demon. YP still seems decent in the matchup for me for that reason.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:05 pm

I battled through 4/10 rounds the other day against Mono Black. They have 2 main and 2 board. It's not that backbreaking, honestly. It's the multiple Merchants that can be devastating.

What's funny is that it seemed like whenever I had Chandra out, they'd try to Cure my Phoenix. So I'd just Shock my bird so they wouldn't gain life and then recur it with Chandra.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:10 pm

I chuckle every single time a Mono B player kills a Phoenix.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 pm

It'll be back. They always come back.

Guttler
Newcomer

Report from Orlando.

Postby Guttler » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:42 pm

Hello, going over my little notepad to recount the matches I played Saturday.

Round 1 vs Jund played by Logan
2-0 Win
I actually didn't see it was Jund until game 2, in the first game he kept a hand with only green and red lands and played a turn 4 Xenegos, which was way too late. In game 2 his only interaction with my creatures was a dreadbore, which didn't take off enough pressure to save him.

Round 2 vs Mono Black Devotion played by Clint.
2-0 Win
In game one he cast 2 grey merchant on back to back turns, but it wasn't enough. He was tilting pretty hard, sighing after every single play I made. In game 2 he opened with a thoughtseize to show my 7 card hand of Mountain, Sacred Foundry, Mutavualt, Firedrinker Satyr, Rakdos Cackler, Pyrewild Shaman, and Strombreath Dragon. I believe he took one of the 1 drops, but the rest of the hand got me the inevitable win.

Lesson learned from this
match: Don't let your opponent use your pen to sign the slip. I came with 3 pens and I was down to 2 by the next round.

Round 3 vs G/R Monsters played by Steven.
2-1 Win
I sit down for the start of this match and my opponent asks for my record. I told him I was 2-0, he responded that he was 1-1, both tables on our left and right had matches between 2-0 players facing off. He called a Judge and they brought him and I up to the scorekeeper where it was discovered that my opponent for the round had wrote the wrong score on his slip in round 2. The judges did what they called a table break, so that I was reseated vs the actual 2-0 player and the 1-1 players were also repaired.

In game 1 I got a very fast start vs his deck. He was playing the G/R version that runs Ghorclan Rampagers and Flesh//Blood, but I was able to keep his fatties off the board and that's all she wrote.

In game 2, he got an great start with an early Ghorclan and used the fight mechanics from Flesh//Blood to keep my creatures off
the table while he swept me with a Stormbreath Dragon.

Game 3, I used early burn on his 2 Elvish mystics, which slowed him down, but he plopped down a Sylvan Caryatid and next turn landed a Scavenging Ooze with 2 mana open. Luckily, I had a Mizzium Mortars to make it so that the Ooze would only be good for 2 life. My creatures and burn spells continued to ding him down, I'm pretty certain I used my own SBD to secure the win.

Round 4 vs Naya Aggro played by Mike Reilly, who also top 8ed. Decklist here: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdat ... ckID=62532
2-1 Win.
This was an interesting deck to play against. Game 1, I got a very fast start that let me burn him out. Game 2, I ended up losing when I was at 9 and he was at 5, sometimes Stormbreath Dragon can carry a game.

Game 3 was extremely memorable so I'll go through that one in detail. I keep a hand with a plethora of
haste creatures. Open with turn 1 mountain go, he plays a tap land, then I play Ash Zealot, swing fro 2. He plays a land and Chains my Ash Zealot to the rocks. Next turn I play a Chandra's Phoenix and swing for 2. On his turn he CttR's my phoenix. Turn 4, my 2nd Phoenix comes into play and swings for 2. On his turn he plays his 3rd CttR. Ashley and both phoenixs are all chained to the same Stomping Ground. I've been holding a Magma Jet and a Stormbreath, but I had to cast Magma Jet on something and the scry 2 revelaed Mountain and Mizzium Mortars. I leave them both on top in that order, but then he plays his own SBD and attacks me and my Mortars is now 2 turns away. I draw my 5th land off the top and slam my SDB and crash on in for 4 to bring him to 10. He untaps and is sitting at 7 mana. Mike takes a long time to decide and opts to play Polokranos and pass without attacking. I draw my top card, which I know is Mizzium Mortars and send his SBD to the graveyard. Another swing from my SBD brings him to only
6. I have a shock at EoT to bring him 4 and my top card is Chandra's Phoenix anyway. A very close game. I don't think I could of won if his SBD went monstrous the one turn he had the opportunity to do it on. I was very pleased that I was able to fight back from triple Chained to the Rocks also.

Round 5 vs G/W played by Aadil.
0-2 Loss
This was my first round at the feature match tables. We got seated on the back up camera match, so we'd only get to be on the stream if the other match finished before ours, which it didn't. I guess SCG still has footage of this match; do they upload matches with just video and no commentary anywhere?

He is playing a very interesting version of the deck. He played evolve creatures like Gyre Sage and a 1GW 3/3 from Theros that when it comes into play you draw a card if you control a creature with a +1/+1 counter on it. In game 1, I'm chipping him down with a pair of Firedrinker Satyrs and using burn to clear the way and get him to 11, but now he's gotten bigger
creatures the me. I have a Chandra, Pyromaster in play that brings him down to 10 and I decide that since I can't attack profitably, I'll just use my creatures to defend Chandra. He attacks Chandra and despite my blocks, he uses Selesnya Charm to kill her with trample damage. He plays an Ajani the next turn and I can't recover from there and he takes game 1. In game 2, I'm off to a good start. He only has a single Fleecemane Lion in play that can't block because of my Chandra, so it look like I'll be able to win off that. He top decks his 5th land and monstrouses the Lion. I can still attack and bring him to 8. Next turn he slams Unflinching Courage on the Lion and attacks my Chandra, bbringing him up to 14. However, I've got more then 6 power in play so I can theoretically race him. I crack him back to knock him to 6. He cracks me with the Lion to go to 12. I attempt to get him into burn range with my 8 power of creatures, but he has an Advent of the Wurm to blunt my assault. I manage to get him as
low as 4, but I can't get lethal in. After our match Ruben Bresler asked Aadil to do a deck tech video, but he declined. He still got his deck on the website though:

So now I'm 4-1, that's okay, let's keep going.

Round 6 vs U/W Control played by AJ.
2-0 Win
Not much of note in this match, in game 1 keeps a hand with bad mana that doesn't allow him to cast Verdict, so I overextend really far and he never gets the other white online. In game 2, I see four 1-drop creatures and run him over with them and burn.

Round 7 vs U/W Control played by Michael
2-0 Win
I know I win, but I don't write anything down on my notepad except for life totals and his deck archetype. It looks like he gave me some trouble game 1 with multiple sphinx revs, but PyroDragon is such a good deck because it can actually win on turn 12. In game 2, he last breathed one of my creatures, but that couldn't stop the aggro plan. I think I burned him out with 2 Lightning Strikes.

Round 8 vs U/W Control played by Greg.
2-1
Win
I'm involved in another table break, pretty much the same thing that happened in round 3. This time instead of a player writing the slip wrong, the slips were correct but the scorekeeper entered the result wrong. My opponent Michael from round 7 noticed it for me and th two of us went up to the judges table and it was soon rectified.

Now sitting against my 3rd U/W deck in a row. I take game 1 easily without anything of note happening. In game 2, he lands turn 3 Fiendslayer Paladin, that puts a real damper on my aggro plans. He lands a 2nd FSP on turn 4 and a 3rd one a turn or two later, I was completely stonewalled by them. In the 3rd game. I get him low and I'm holding 5+ spells, but I only have 3 lands, I'm sandbagging a skullcrack to stop a Sphinx Rev, so I have to just hold the Skullcrack and hope to draw the 4th land. I eventually get it and am able to EoT Magma Jet him and Lightning Strike him down to 1 life while holding 2 mana up for Skull Crack. The match ends in a somewhat humorous way,
Greg has 11 lands and he taps 6 of them to Sphinx for 3. I respond with Skullcrack, he taps the rest of his lands to cast a second Shinx Rev for 2, which gains him 2 life and puts him at 3, then he dies to the Skullcrack.

Round 9 vs Esper Control played by Jeff Johnson. He was on camera for round 8.
2-1 Win
From this point on I have FOOWM written at the top of my notes for each game. I'm sure someone will remember what that is. I found that when I was playing in these later rounds I'd be extremely focused during the match, but as soon as it was over I felt like a balloon with all the air let out of it. I felt I had to work myself back into focus in-between each round. This was another match that was on the back up camera, but didn't make it to the live coverage.

In game 1, He lands 3 Detention Spheres against me, 2 of which are both on Phoenixes. He uses 2 Sphinx Revs to stabilize and eventually lands a Blood Baron, which I concede too. In game 2, he stumbles at the start and tires to play
defensive with a Jace, but I'm able to combine creatures and burn to crack it. He Sphinx Revs for only a single life, but I'm able to finish him off. In game 3, he is getting beat down by my early creatures, he Sphinx Revs for 4 to get his health back to 18; He tried to Last Breath my Chandra's Phoenix, but I shocked it in response; that ended up being the play of the game. I'm able to crack another Jace and I believe I win this game with SBD. Jeff was a bit sore about that he'd drawn so many lands in game 3, when you looked at his graveyard it was multiple verdicts, last breaths, Jace, etc. I was really happy that deck managed to bat it's way back from there.

After I won this match, it made my record 8-1 which would put me in a good chance to draw round 10 into top 8. One of the other regulars from Shortstops in attendance was John Rodriguez, he watched me win round 9 and actually screamed "WHOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOO KERRRRRRRRRRRRRR" after I won. The judge ended up giving him a warning for
unsporting conduct, due to excessive celebration.

Round 10.
Unfortunately I couldn't draw round 10 and had to play our the final round.
I also made it onto the live camera for this round. You can watch the match here http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/b/494419346 My match starts at 19:00:50

Swiss record was 9-1 finishing in 2nd place overall via standings at the end of round 10.

Top 8 vs Mono Black Devotion played by John.
2-1 Win.
We use the modified play or draw rule so that puts me on the play for game 1. John opens with some removal for my early aggressive creatures and plays 2 Underworld Connections, which he uses to draw lots of cards. He lands a Grey Merchant for 6 to stabilize. I deal with the first merchant and he plays a 2nd merchant to bring him up to 15. I can't fight back from that I we go to game 2. Now, he's going to get at least one post board game on the play. In game 2 I make a terrible
mistake. I mulligan to 6, but accidentally draw 7 cards. John also mulliganed to 6. We call the Judge over and he uses a dice to select 2 cards at random from my hand and they both go back on top of my deck, so I basically have to keep a 5 card hand. The thing about the ruling is that it let's me know that I can keep my 5 card hand of mountain, 2 lightning strike, ash zealot, and chained to the rocks; because my top 2 cards are lands. He thoughseizes me and takes 1 of the strikes. I am able to play turn 2 Zealot and start the beatdown plan. He plays a nightveil on defense, right into my 2nd strike. I'm able to top deck a phoenix and keep on the beat down plan. He removes my phoenix. I get another phoenix and keep chipping him down. I get him down to 5 and he removed my last creature. I'm holding a Skullcrack, so I can EoT take him to 2 and get back a Chandra's Phoenix for the win. In game 3, I open with Ash Zealot, to which he Parika's Cures. I start to chip him down with creatures and he stumbles of
lands and plays a Pack Rat with just 2 mana open. Since he can't make a 2nd rat, I'm able to play Chandra, Pyromaster and hit the 1/1 rat. He plays a Gray Mercant for just 2, but I'm able to hit SBD and finish the match going into top 4.

That makes my total record 10-1, with my only loss being to G/W aggro. I also didn't play against MonoU Devotion once the whole tournament so Rod of Ruin was very lonely in my sideboard. I don't think I could of baeten Tyler Wilkerson even had I played the match. He was just so on fire with MonoU that he even cruised though the finals which was very unfavorable match for him. Overall, I'm really happy I went to Orlando and I've extremely please with PyroDragons after perviosuly doubting it. Before this weekend, I could say that since I switched to this deck in October; I only failed to op 8 in two tournaments, 1 FNM and 1 an SCG IQ. I'm really happy to say that after a 10 round tournament that has 540+ people, it's still just those 2 tournaments that I didn't
top 8. :)

Let's see some good red cards in Born of the Gods!

Mr. Metronome

Postby Mr. Metronome » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Sweet report, thanks for writing that up!

How did Ash Zealot perform throughout the day? The list I'm on right now still has 4 Pyromancers and 2 Dragons main, and I'm not sure how badly I want ol' Ashley. What matchups do you miss her in?

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:26 pm

Sweet report, thanks for writing that up!

How did Ash Zealot perform throughout the day? The list I'm on right now still has 4 Pyromancers and 2 Dragons main, and I'm not sure how badly I want ol' Ashley. What matchups do you miss her in?
Shes amazing in every matchup IMO. Speaking without hearing from James, I think it is safe to say he beat UW control 3 times in a row with I'm sure help from Ashley. She makes our aggro matchup better, mono b matchup better, control matchup better.

What list are you running that has 4 YP$? What other 3 cards are you putting in?

Welcome to DtR!

yurp yurp

Mr. Metronome

Postby Mr. Metronome » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:46 pm

Thanks for the welcome! :) Been lurking for a while, bouncing between decks, this one is still some of the most fun I've had this Standard.

Right now I've got this sleeved up in front of me:
[deck]
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix
1 Pyrewild Shaman
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Shock
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
11 Mountain

Sideboard:
1 Mountain
1 Stormbreath Dragon
3 Boros Reckoner
3 more of Mizzium Mortars/CttR, not sure on the split.
3 Skullcrack
2 Last Breath
2 Boros Charm
[/deck]

I was testing a list with Ash Zealot that cut 2 Firedrinkers, a Shock, and a Pyromancer for her and it wasn't bad, but it didn't jump out as being better than YP$.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:57 pm

I just about always want to play Ash Zealot on turn 2.

Guttler
Newcomer

Postby Guttler » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:58 pm

@ Mr. Metronome

Ashley is amazing. I really recommend you try and fit her into your main deck, especially if you're going to play Pyrewild Shaman as a singleton. She can swing into an x/5 and take them out with the help of PWS bloodrush or a burn spell. Additionally, if you have PWS in the graveyard, you can use the first strike damage to recur him and bloodrush him onto another creature before regular damage resolves. I've had that second interaction been crucial in a victory over a G/r Devotion deck in an FNM several weeks ago.

Mr. Metronome

Postby Mr. Metronome » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:16 am

I'm sold. I cut 1 Young Pyromancer, 2 Firedrinker, and 1 Shock from my above list to add in 4 Ashley.

amcfvieira

Postby amcfvieira » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:45 am

@Guttler

I see your replay and great job. You survive a lot in the second game. Cedric call all the time "Firedrinker Crusader" to Satyr, lol

Guttler
Newcomer

Postby Guttler » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:26 pm

What's keeping you from playing tomorrow? That's an unfortunate turn of events.
My reason for dropping was that I had to go to church on Sunday morning. It was due to special circumstances though.

I go to church probably more then most people and often going to church on Saturday evenings keeps me away from large Saturday tournaments. However, for this one week only the regular priest at my parish was traveling to Uganda for the dedication of a medical clinic that our church had slowly been building over 2 years; thus the regular Saturday service was downgraded to a point where I could justify skipping it to go to the Orlando open.

However, our Sunday morning service was still scheduled. We had a monk coming to fill in. I've been an altar
server in my church for over 20 years so it was important for me to be there to help the monk do his job in an environment he wasn't familiar with.

I'm hoping I can attend one of the SCG invitationals. I'd love to play in one of those, even with my zero legacy experience.

Return to “Archives”