[Primer] PyroRed

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Jack
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Jack » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:09 am

I'm guessing for R/w Devotion I'd go -2 Satyr -3 Shock -4 Magma Jet +4 Reckoner +2 Mortars...damn. Maybe Satyr stays in? Or do we keep Shock? After all, they do have a ton of x/2s. However, we can't be slower than them. We also can't go under them, so we have to either go over or through them, and I guess that means we want another dragon.
Sig by NBW.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:15 am

You're guess is as good as mine, I can only speak from what I've seen on coverage for this matchup.

RedEyesBlackGamer
Newcomer

Postby RedEyesBlackGamer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:02 pm

I'm guessing for R/w Devotion I'd go -2 Satyr -3 Shock -4 Magma Jet +4 Reckoner +2 Mortars...damn. Maybe Satyr stays in? Or do we keep Shock? After all, they do have a ton of x/2s. However, we can't be slower than them. We also can't go under them, so we have to either go over or through them, and I guess that means we want another dragon.
Going under them is hard as they have Zealot, Weird, Reckoner, Anger, and Mortars post board. I just side out one drops and side in removal+Reckoner. Playing the control game isn't ideal, at least from my testing. I'm often found both of us without cards in hand and it turns into a topdeck war, which we are going to lose a majority of the time. Out of the two strategies, I like going the control route
more. This matchup is just really rough. :slant:
Last edited by RedEyesBlackGamer on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jabberwocky
Newcomer

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:24 pm

I tried RW devotion for a bit but I found I liked this deck a lot more. One of the major weak points to me about the deck was the consistency. I felt it was "explosive" rather than consistent. Some draws were beastly and I managed to win in spite of playing (yeah, I'm a bad player sometimes) but other times it was like having all the condiments but no main course. If there is no Purpo, Nythoks, or FoM, you basically have to flounder a bit (especially no Nykthos).

I think the early removal is very necessary and it's good to load up into that. One thing I tried was siding out the dragons, a chandra, and (just now trying this) another land for more SB material and keeping in some of the burn and early drops while lowering the curve. The burn is relevant since you want to win topdeck wars and keep the phoenix online and YP to keep the beats going. I just lower the overall curve of the deck and put in things to go
faster instead to disrupt their synergy. They are a combo deck and the most important thing is removing the combo, so I even put in the last breath since they sometimes just go "off" even when there is just a weird on the board (BTE, Nykthos, then drop a reckoner all come turn 3). Therefore I get hesitant to let any double mana items stay on the floor. The 4 life isn't bad if it keeps the RR off the board and prevents putting 5 more devotion on the floor the next turn.

Wear // Tear was suggested but I think it's not superbly helpful here. Yeah they have a hammer and have CttR but I think we need to just overrun them instead. I think having 6-8 1 drops, having your removal in there along with YP and Phoenix, additional scrying with MJ and scry lands, and some additional removal from the board, you can win the game as long as you keep them running low on gas. I save the mortars for a dragon when possible and chain everything else.

Maybe my approach isn't the best, but perhaps worth
considering more? Haven't played a BUNCH of RW decks but this approach has helped me a bit.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:58 pm

Everything that follows is based on the MTGO meta - adjust as required :)

Getting the 75 'correct' so the MB and SB are aligned is currently the biggest challenge with the deck for me, largely because Mono U is running Domestication which makes boarding in Reckoner a questionable idea - dropping the number of FDS is partly a reaction to this as it makes SBing easier. Less 1 drops does mean you're slightly worse against B Control (both Devo - which is MUCH harder than it used to be - 4 MD Pack Rats and MD Pharika's Cure) and BW) and Control but both match ups are still favourable with 6 1 drops and Ashley. The wonderful thing is that we currently have so many options and such a great card pool that we can fine tune for every match up, just not for all of them at the same time sadly

2 Charm and 3 Reckoner's seems fine to me :) If you want another creature against Control/slower decks I agree FDS is your man and I also agree with Helios that Reckoner is excellent against RW Devo.

I don't personally think you need it but running FDS in the SB is perfectly ok - Helios is right and a lot of RW Devo (including the list that LP is running) decks run 4 MD Cackler with 4 FDS in the SB. Depending on your meta you could run another FDS over FotF in the MD. FotF was originally introduced as a 5th Strike for NVS against MonoU and MonoB but you have 2 Mortars MB now to fill this role. I keep it in for Pack Rats and the Esper Mid Range match up.
I'm guessing for R/w Devotion I'd go -2 Satyr -3 Shock -4 Magma Jet +4 Reckoner
+2 Mortars...damn. Maybe Satyr stays in? Or do we keep Shock? After all, they do have a ton of x/2s. However, we can't be slower than them. We also can't go under them, so we have to either go over or through them, and I guess that means we want another dragon.
With your current SB I'd take out 4 Cackler 2 FDS and 1 FotF against RW Devo and bring in 2 Mortars, 1 Chains and 4 Reckoner. I like my Jets - kills BTE and Ash, allow Ash tricks against Weird, dig for whatever you need, recur Phoenix etc :) Your 1 drops aren't good against a deck with 4 Weirds and 4 Reckoner's and Mortars and possibly Anger so they come out. Your plan is to keep them off Devotion and grind the game out. If they get a nuts draw you'll most likely lose. Another Dragon is good :) Makes SBing easier against a lot of other decks too If you do this then run the 4th Vault in the SB which you can also bring in against Control. Over the last few pages you'll see MDU talking about this strategy - it's much better than bringing in Fanatic Of Mogis :) If you do go for the Dragon option then I'd bring this in Vs RW Devo too and drop a Shocks (as you will only be bringing in 3 Reckoners) Makes O/L Mortars more likely too which is great against Devo :) It's worth mentioning that the increase in RW Devo was one of the main reasons that MDU moved to a Big Boros list as that has a better match up against Devo. I switched as well but I'm back running Pyro as aggro (Esper Mid and RDW) is all over MTGO.

Hope this helps :) I'm delighted to
be able to offer you some thoughts Freedom as your contributions to the deck were incredibly helpful to me when I started playing the deck :)

EDIT - Jabberwocky's analysis of RW Devo is exactly the same as mine but I personally favour REBG's strategy here. The top deck war situation Jabberwocky mentions is common - Phoenix is your key here :) Big Boros gives you Assemble The Legions for exactly this scenario :)
Last edited by LaZerBurn on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

amcfvieira

Postby amcfvieira » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:58 pm

Your plays didn't look bad to me. I think your opponent just out-drew you.

One thing I am curious about is then he had two frostburn weird, you faltered with Chandra and attacked with Zealot and Cackler and not Satyr. You had no mana up, so you couldn't bluff a burn spell. I don't think I would have attacked at all (since it meant trading AZ for the ability to force through 2 damage) or attacked with everything, because then you trade ash for 4 damage.

Of those two lines, I prefer not attacking. He couldn't really attack into you, and you cound just tick up Chandra.
That it's one of my mistakes. Sincerely I miss they have a mana open, and attack for the same play that I had done before to go with 2 damage and it cost me one of the
best cards I can get in that match. In game 2 I missed 2 damage from Young Pyromancer when they kill my Cacklers. I think I always have to have at least 2 Mizzium Mortars and one Chained or the reverse to win this matchup. But when I face almost only Weird and Master in that matchup it's always very difficult to deal with. Why the guy don't missed some turns with a Thassa or Spectre? It's not my hour...
Legacy: IZZET DELVER ; BURN
Modern: TEMPO TWINS ; UR STORM ; BURN
Standard: Work in Progress

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:04 pm

Good work all! Glad everything is going well :) I finally acquired the other 3 Stormbreaths I needed, as well as another Muta, so I think I'm going to get back to playing Standard! Expect reports in the coming weeks.

Is there anything specific that ya'll feel needs to be added to the Primer?
The Primer is in great shape thanks Helios - the BEST maintained Primer I've ever read :) Looking forward to your reports :) What's your current 75?

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Your plays didn't look bad to me. I think your opponent just out-drew you.

One thing I am curious about is then he had two frostburn weird, you faltered with Chandra and attacked with Zealot and Cackler and not Satyr. You had no mana up, so you couldn't bluff a burn spell. I don't think I would have attacked at all (since it meant trading AZ for the ability to force through 2 damage) or attacked with everything, because then you trade ash for 4 damage.

Of those two lines, I prefer not attacking. He couldn't really attack into you, and you cound just tick up Chandra.
That its one of my mistakes. Sincerely I miss they have a mana open, and attack for the same play that I had done before to go with 2 damage and it cost me one of the best cards I can get in that match. In game 2 I missed 2 damage from Young Pyromancer when they kill my Cacklers. I think I always have to have at least 2 Mizzium Mortars and one Chained or the reverse to win this matchup. But when I face almost only Weird and Master in that matchup it's always very difficult to deal with. Why the guy don't missed some turns with a Thassa or Spectre? It's not my hour...
Yep, agree with Johnny here. I wouldn't attack though at this point, though you had no chance in this game - he simply outdrew you :(

Surprised to see you keeping in Cackler for G2 - what was your SB plan?

I think Chaining the FBW was questionable as you aren't going to attack with Vault in play anyway. If he has MOW he'll hold it now as hes not under great pressure and his long game is better than yours. All of this is academic as his does outdraw you, again :(

EDIT - Just checked your list so I can see why you kept Cackler in.

amcfvieira

Postby amcfvieira » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:04 pm

For Mono U like I said page #78 (I think) my sideboard plan is only: - 4x one drop (in that game I remove FS) for +2 Chained + Mizzium. I didn't particularly draw well entire tournament. My removal spell didn't come to me. Maybe I chained it bad in game 2. I go view it again and think what was my idea in that time.
Legacy: IZZET DELVER ; BURN
Modern: TEMPO TWINS ; UR STORM ; BURN
Standard: Work in Progress

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks for the replies. 1 AM SB plans rarely look good the next morning xD
Cackler is just a worse shock be them . Removal seems like the way to go, and while they have the same removal as us (basically), they have a bit less, and we have Pyro, so we might actually have a slight advantage postboard.
Sig by NBW.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:33 pm

LaZer - I'm not sure yet, when I have a 75 I'll post it here. Tempted to try LP's devotion deck, because it looks hysterically fun. (is that even a word?)

Longtoe
Newcomer

Postby Longtoe » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:43 am

I just wanted to say thank you for this site and info. I just ended up winning a standard premier on MTGO with this deck. Thanks again, hopefully I can contribute some in the future.
Standard: Red whatever variant is most meta appropriate
Modern: RB burn, infect, Twin, Bots
Legacy: UR delver, belcher

xbento
Newcomer

Postby xbento » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:11 am

You can contribute your list. :)

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:13 am

Yep - list and report please :) Winning a PE is a great achievement, well done :)

EDIT - Watching your games :)
EDIT - Watched your games - very well played, that was a delight to behold :) I guess you feel pretty confident facing Bx decks now :)
Last edited by LaZerBurn on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

xbento
Newcomer

Postby xbento » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:36 am

I don't know how to watch games :/

Longtoe
Newcomer

Postby Longtoe » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:36 am

List is verbatim from here.
The matches were somewhat interesting:
Round 1: UWR control- rogue. Lost due to too much point removal + elspeth
Round 2: GW beatdown- got a few lucky top decks.
Round 3-7: I think ALL black/x. This is a favorable matchup not much needs to be said
Top 8 qf: Mono black again, easy enough win
Top 4 SF: Chris Pikula playing mono blue. Very tough matchup, probably the only time I am going to beat a pro. killed him with a flames of the firebrand in G3. My game 2 I should have won, but I got straight up outplayed.
Finals: Was GW, opponent scooped for pack split.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:28 am

I don't know how to watch games :/
Go to the event on MTGO - finished events are at the bottom of the list and are up for about a day. Double click on it and a 'Go To' button appears at the top of the page. Click it :)

Click the 'View Round' button. Choose the Round you want to watch. Find the player - clicking on the Player 1 and Player 2 button will reorder them making it easy to find who you want to see.

Enjoy :)
Last edited by LaZerBurn on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 am

List is verbatim from here.
Any chance you could be a little more specific ? No worries if not :) - it's just that there are 11 lists in the Primer alone and it is always interesting to see someone's exact 75 :)

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:24 am

And they haven't posted lists from a premiere since 12/29/2013...

Congrats Longtoe!
Last edited by Lightning_Dolt on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:40 am

I like that people have read my notes on tournament prep and nutrition; that shit is important yo.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:56 am

I like that people have read my notes on tournament prep and nutrition; that shit is important yo.
I agree, more important than I gave it credit for.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:03 am

I like that you assume we got them from you ;)

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:05 am

Everything you have is from me. I am the alpha and the omega, the destroyer of worlds.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:11 am

I have no rebuttal.

d1sh0ng
Newcomer

Postby d1sh0ng » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:15 am

So my PTQ experience was not the greatest. I did run into Purp as he noticed my deck while I was registering it before the tournament. It was nice to meet you Purp!

I only played 3 games total so this will be quite brief.

Round 1 Jerome - Mono U Devotion

To be honest the whole day is a blur because I was so tense and full of anxiety. The only thing that sticks out to me is the he landed a Thassa and Bident both games and rode them to victory. I couldn't grab a footing at any point of either game.

Round 2 Megan - White Weenie with Red

Game 1 - This game was a complete race. The only reason I won was because she missed a lethal attack while I was at 9, she noticed it after she passed the turn and I proceeded to win.

Now this is where everything went wrong, I was sideboarding and couldn't find my 3rd Firedrinker Satyr. I had dropped some cards Round 1 on the floor while shuffling. I had been moving cards
between piles and when I couldn't find my 3rd Satyr, I panicked. I counted my deck and counted 58 cards. I checked my sideboard and no 3rd Satyr. I told my opponent I only had 58 cards in my deck and I was going to call a judge. I called the judge and he gave me a game loss. He said I could replace the cards in my deck with the appropriate missing card or basic lands. I couldn't figure out the other missing card due to the fact that I was having a panic attack I was so stressed out. Finally I made the decision to scoop to my opponent and drop from the tournament as it just was not worth trying to play the rest of the tournament in the mental state I was in.

In hindsight, I should have just taken a deep breath and tried to calm down. I eventually found my missing cards (Firedrinker Satyr and Stormbreath Dragon) in my deckbox when I got home and I believe I just panicked. I am a very tense player when I play especially at more competitive events. Even in Round 1, my head felt heavy and I could barely
hear. I'm going to use this PTQ season to try and conquer whatever anxiety I have during these tournaments. It's very frustrating when outside factors affect my game.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:00 am

I get like that in big events too. I'm diabetic and my blood sugars are through the roof from stress all the time. It should get easier with practice.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:15 am

LaZer - I'm not sure yet, when I have a 75 I'll post it here. Tempted to try LP's devotion deck, because it looks hysterically fun. (is that even a word?)
Winning tournaments semi-large tournies makes everything look fun.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Pyreheart Bezerra

Postby Pyreheart Bezerra » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:43 am

@Those playing the black variant. Have you been using scrylands? If so just black temples or also using temple of triumph as well.
I have been using two temple of triumph as the 2 "swamps" for the deck, and I am almost always glad they are not just basics. (Strange for a tapland, huh?) I have thought of going to 3 guildgates and adding 1 temple of triumph for 6 taplands in the deck.

Thoughts?

Tier 2 Member of Fires of Salvation.

Mountain Mage since 7/12

Check out my Limited Articles @ CardAgain!

Longtoe
Newcomer

Postby Longtoe » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:35 pm

Lazerburn, your latest list card for card. :)

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:29 pm

Lazerburn, your latest list card for card. :)
:D :D :D

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:26 pm

So my PTQ experience was not the greatest. I did run into Purp as he noticed my deck while I was registering it before the tournament. It was nice to meet you Purp!

I only played 3 games total so this will be quite brief.

Round 1 Jerome - Mono U Devotion

To be honest the whole day is a blur because I was so tense and full of anxiety. The only thing that sticks out to me is the he landed a Thassa and Bident both games and rode them to victory. I couldn't grab a footing at any point of either game.

Round 2 Megan - White Weenie with Red

Game 1 - This game was a complete race. The only reason I won was because she missed a lethal attack while I was at 9, she noticed it after she passed the turn and I proceeded to win.

Now this
is where everything went wrong, I was sideboarding and couldn't find my 3rd Firedrinker Satyr. I had dropped some cards Round 1 on the floor while shuffling. I had been moving cards between piles and when I couldn't find my 3rd Satyr, I panicked. I counted my deck and counted 58 cards. I checked my sideboard and no 3rd Satyr. I told my opponent I only had 58 cards in my deck and I was going to call a judge. I called the judge and he gave me a game loss. He said I could replace the cards in my deck with the appropriate missing card or basic lands. I couldn't figure out the other missing card due to the fact that I was having a panic attack I was so stressed out. Finally I made the decision to scoop to my opponent and drop from the tournament as it just was not worth trying to play the rest of the tournament in the mental state I was in.

In hindsight, I should have just taken a deep breath and tried to calm down. I eventually found my missing cards (Firedrinker Satyr and Stormbreath Dragon&#
41; in my deckbox when I got home and I believe I just panicked. I am a very tense player when I play especially at more competitive events. Even in Round 1, my head felt heavy and I could barely hear. I'm going to use this PTQ season to try and conquer whatever anxiety I have during these tournaments. It's very frustrating when outside factors affect my game.
i saw you sided in reckoner in round 3 verse a Mono Black player. :o

But I always think I lose cards, and they just get stuck together sometimes.

yurp yurp

d1sh0ng
Newcomer

Postby d1sh0ng » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:44 pm

i saw you sided in reckoner in round 3 verse a Mono Black player. :o

But I always think I lose cards, and they just get stuck together sometimes.
Purp, were you referring to me about the Reckoner sideboard choice? I wasn't playing in round 3 unfortunately, I had already dropped. Although given my state of mind that day, I probably would have sideboarded Reckoners in against Mono Black haha.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:52 pm

2 identical (or very nearly) PyroDragons lists 4-0'ed yesterday's Standard DE - https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/M ... rn/6569284. Sorry if that's old news...

ibejaemes
Newcomer

Postby ibejaemes » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:08 am

Would you guys take out all your one drops if you know your meta is packed with aggro (W/B, Esper Humans, WR Weenies, etc)?
I was thinking of taking out FDS' completely, switch the Reckoners to MD and Cacklers to SB. Fill the FDS' spot with more burn/removal?

So for example;
[deck]
Creatures: 16
3 Ash Zealot
3 Young Pyromancer
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells: 21
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Flames Of The Firebrand

Lands: 23
11 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard: 15
4 Rakdos Cackler
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Mountain (Or Boros Guildgate)
1 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Wear//Tear
2 Boros Charm
[/deck]

Sideboard planning would be like,
Aggro Ww/Wb/Rdw/Esper Humans/etc>
+1 Chained +1 Mountain +1 Dragon +1 Mortar
-
4 Phoenix

G/W (Keeping shocks for Ashley/Combat Tricks, killing early Experiment Ones, Soldier of Pantheon)
+1 Chained +1 Mountain +1 Dragon +2 Mortars +2 Glare of Heresy (Lots of targets) +2 Wear//Tear (Unflinching, Spear of Heliod) +2 Charm
-4 Jet -2 FotF -3 YP -2 Shock

Mid Range Naya, Dega>
(The Dega MU is against one of my good friends that runs Reckoners, Demons, BBoVs, Obzedat, Lifebanes, Sin Collectors, AoG; I'll try with -4 Reckoner +4 Cackler for some early pressure, his Lifebanes are sideboard so it'll be a good switcharoo on him)
(The Naya MU is against a friend at my lgs, runs VoR, Reckoners, Polukranos, Smiters, Boon so I'd +2 Glare of Heresy, -2 YP (3) If I see Unflinching Courage, should I also +2 Wear//Tear? -2 Jets (4))
+1 Chained +1 Mountain +1 Dragon +2 Mortars +2 Charm
-2 Shocks -2 FotF -2 Jets -1 YP (Maybe, -4 Jets instead of the -2/2)

Control U/W, Esper (Haven't really seen too many of them playing recently)>
+4 Cackler +2 Glare of Heresy +2 Wear//Tear +2
Charm +1 Mountain +1 Dragon
-4 Reckoner -2 Mortars -2 FotF -4 Jets

U/x (I have only seen one person play Blue Devotion, a friend of mine who doesn't have any free time to attend any more standard events at my lgs any more :(>
+1 Chained +1 Mountain +1 Dragon +2 Charm +1 Mortar +1 Wear//Tear (Bident/Domestication)
-4 Jets -3 YP

B/x (Didn't see any black tonight at all, which is weird just a couple of weeks ago tons of Black Devotion)>
+4 Cackler +2 Mortar +1 Chain +2 Charm
-4 Reckoner -2 Jet -1 Shock -2 Dragon
I guess if I lose to UC, I'll -2 more Jets and add +2 Wear//Tear

I think this is how I should be sideboarding in/out with how my deck would look like, any advice on my 75?

EDIT: Yeah I forgot to switch out the Dragons for charms for the B/x
Last edited by ibejaemes on Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:53 am

sods law if you remove the one drops then you will play only U/w control for the next 4 matches

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:41 am

RE sideboarding plan:

Aggro/WW: I'd side out the phoenix (you are very much the control player here and should win pretty easily if you resolve a chandra or dragon)

Dega: I'd side out the reckoners if he is playing LBZ and BBoV

U/x: definitely side in mizzium (removal is key here as you don't want them building devotion). 2 Wear//Tear is possibly overkill here, 1 should be enough for the odd domestication or bident they may play

B/x: I'd consider siding in Wear//Tear to deal with Underworld Connections. I'd consider siding out dragon for boros charm, as the dragon tends to just get terrored, whereas boros charm is guaranteed 4 to the dome

I've been experimenting with Angelic Edict as a sideboard option on MODO and would consider running it over Boros Charm if you expect to face down a lot of midrange or devotion decks. It's too slow against aggro, but in a longer game it is invaluable for taking out
fatties and as a bonus it also deals with gods, enchantments and annoying dying effects like Voice.

RedEyesBlackGamer
Newcomer

Postby RedEyesBlackGamer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:28 am

RE sideboarding plan:

Aggro/WW: I'd side out the phoenix (you are very much the control player here and should win pretty easily if you resolve a chandra or dragon)

Dega: I'd side out the reckoners if he is playing LBZ and BBoV

U/x: definitely side in mizzium (removal is key here as you don't want them building devotion). 2 Wear//Tear is possibly overkill here, 1 should be enough for the odd domestication or bident they may play

B/x: I'd consider siding in Wear//Tear to deal with Underworld Connections. I'd consider siding out dragon for boros charm, as the dragon tends to just get terrored, whereas boros charm is guaranteed 4 to the dome

I've been experimenting with Angelic Edict as a sideboard option on MODO and would consider running it over
Boros Charm if you expect to face down a lot of midrange or devotion decks. It's too slow against aggro, but in a longer game it is invaluable for taking out fatties and as a bonus it also deals with gods, enchantments and annoying dying effects like Voice.
I would not ever side out Phoenix. He is the main win con when we are the control deck.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:31 am

If you need a guide in SB'ing I suggest reading the Primer on the first page.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:50 pm

Dat knowledge...

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:55 pm

I would not ever side out Phoenix. He is the main win con when we are the control deck.
In most cases I'd agree, but he's playing zero 1-drops already main, so what do you cut instead of the phoenixes to bring in your extra removal? Against White Weenie my game plan is to kill all their creatures and resolve a dragon or a chandra to win. I'd much rather have burn in my starting hand than phoenixes and Ash Zealot and reckoner are better on defence, so I can't see anything else to get rid of.

Return to “Archives”