[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby windstrider » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:31 am

I need to stop reading the comments in the preview threads on Mtgs. They just make me angry.
Are you reading it for the wrong reason? :D

Endymion has one of the best opening lines of any book. It is very much different than the first two books in the series.
Lol I was when I started (In hopes of discovering more about the pilgrims).
You will. I need to reread all four of the books in order. A lot of the events in the later books influence things in the earlier
books, which makes sense since time doesn't mean much to several characters.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:37 am

[quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=55915#p55915:3syk565a]windstrider » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:31 pm[/url:3syk565a]":3syk565a][quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=55914#p55914:3syk565a]Helios » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:15 pm[/url:3syk565a]":3syk565a]I need to stop reading the comments in the preview threads on Mtgs. They just make me angry.

[quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=55909#p55909:3syk565a]windstrider » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:01 pm[/url:3syk565a]":3syk565a]
Are you reading it for the wrong reason? :D

[i:3syk565a]Endymion[/i:3syk565a] has one of the best opening lines of any book. It is very much different than the first two books in the series.[/quote:3syk565a]

Lol I was when I started (In hopes of discovering more about the
pilgrims).[/quote:3syk565a]

You will. I need to reread all four of the books in order. A lot of the events in the later books influence things in the earlier books, which makes sense since time doesn't mean much to several characters.[/quote:3syk565a]

Response below; wrapped in spoilers since that's exactly what it contains.
:3syk565a
Well that's good to know; other than Martin & presumably the Keats persona, I didn't expect anyone else to show up. There's been a fair bit of hinting that the Consul went to live with the Ousters, so I'm assuming he might also make an appearance.[/spoiler:3syk565a]

I'm also pretty close to finished with [i:3syk565a]Endymion[/i:3syk565a], they're currently on the ice world. Just after de Soya's mission has been further 'explained' to him (I liked how he basically received no further explanation :P ).

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:33 am

Response below; wrapped in spoilers since that's exactly what it contains.

Well that's good to know; other than Martin & presumably the Keats persona, I didn't expect anyone else to show up. There's been a fair bit of hinting that the Consul went to live with the Ousters, so I'm assuming he might also make an appearance.
I'm also pretty close to finished with Endymion, they're currently on the ice world. Just after de Soya's mission has been further 'explained' to him (I liked how he basically received no further explanation :P ).
Yeah, the Church screws around with de Soya quite
a bit. That's kinda to be expected, though.

I really can't say anything else.

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:44 am

It's an interesting series, but I think I was expecting more philosophical weight. Some of the characters deal with pretty big issues (Gladstone especially; and I loved Ummon), but much of the time is spent describing the worlds; and because Simmons frequently uses implicit descriptions to reveal the more intriguing facts, the explicit ones often come across as bland. He does love to tell you exactly which way a character placed a given appendage when doing any given action.

Thus far, Ummon, de Soya, Kassahd, A. Bettik, the Consul, and Father Dure have made it all worth it. They're all very deep and/or interesting characters. Sol's musings on Abraham's dilemma are also fairly interesting.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:33 am

Well, that's an odd set of cards.

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:19 am

Just finished watching Game of Thrones. Great episode in a great series. Danny being awesome.

In other news, won the GPT with Junk Rites. We thought it was going to be 4 rounds instead of 5 so in round 4, me and my opponent are ready to draw, then here all sorts of conflicting information and just play. The match was fine till about 20 minutes into game one when it devolved into all the things that are bad about Thragtusk and Angel of serenity. Long story short, he won 1-0 as game one lasted 45 minutes and there were multiple Angel of Serenity's played back and forth in the game. Round 5(the last round), I get paired down and win finishing in second place. The store owner left it up to us whether we wanted to play top 4 are leave it at standings(which is stupid since the guy in 1st place will obviously want to take his 3 byes and 80 bucks in store credit and run) but later he finds out that we have to play top 4.

In my
first match, I play one of my teammates and poker buddies who I had played earlier in the tourney and again crushed him. He was playing a janky undying BUG build that was capable of making some sick plays with bad cards. Turn 1 young wolf, turn to rapid hybridization my own wolf. Now I have a 2/2 and a 3/3? Seems good. The guy who finished in the top of the swiss as the only 5-0 playing Prime Speaker Bant lost his match so I got another easy matchup in the form of RUG flash. Game 1, I attack with angel of Serenity and Craterhoof Behemoth on turn 4, game two, he concedes as he was feeling sick and since he's 15ish, he didn't think he was going to be able to go to GP Vegas.

Overall the tourney went well minus being very tired and not eating until top 4. The one tilting thing that happened was in my first game, I reanimate craterhoof, attack for a tone of damage and my opponent ALMOST scoops. He says something, I start to scoop my cards, then he recognizes that he can block and go to 2. He untaps, and
plays some Dimir mill card for 11 that mills your deck until you hit X lands and it killed me. I wasn't mad per se, but the feeling was similar to being slowrolled. So in games two and three, I naturally acidic slimed all of his lands because he didn't deserve to play magic.

I was really thinking of going to the GP, but one of my teammates is from Vegas and has family out there; plus it's fucking modern masters. LIMITED MODERN MASTERS. That's going to be amazing despite having 3000 people or whatever ridiculous number of people decide to show up.

So far I've won 3/4 tourney's so I'm feeling good and I think I've convinced my sponser to let me play agro decks now(cause I'm bored with junk). I'm looking forward to either playing Jund Aggro or maybe Khaos Deck wins, possibly tweaked by adding Burning-Tree Emissary. Should be fun.

Hope everyone had an amazing weekend.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:14 am

Thanks everyone for your Bday wishes and a special thanks to whomever PMed zem about VD - I couldn't have asked for a better laugh.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:27 am

Happy anniversary of the day of your birth, thirst. I wish you another year of burnin' bitches.

And hello everyone else.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:27 am

Now that it is official in US territories:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, REDTHIRST!!

Note that the font size chosen above is "Huge"...I leave it to you to draw all relevant connections. :p

May you enjoy a fine day of burning and wenching, oh riotous Red Leader!
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

RedNihilist
Tire Aficionado

Postby RedNihilist » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:08 am

Happy bday Master!

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:09 am

Redthirst birthday is now official? What do you get a man who has everything? Guess I'll burn some Thragtusks.

Patrick chapin

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:13 am

Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:21 am

So...spoils are over. Red aggro didn't get any constructed-useful burn, and black didn't get terror or other impactful monocolored removal. Crap.
Righteous sig by NBW

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:48 am

So...spoils are over. Red aggro didn't get any constructed-useful burn, and black didn't get terror or other impactful monocolored removal. Crap.
Yep...I kinda called that one. Fortunately for us, the majority of the world is full of bad magic players. Looks like they'll get to play with new toys and we get to beat them with our awesome Red Mage skills.

Also, congrats on the win, LP. You mentioned that BUG deck and it's funny that I watched a deck tech on a similar deck on SCG. It actually looks....fun. It was called Evolve Aggro (this version was Bant) and it kind of reminds me of Delver 2.0.And as for your next deck, I support your decision to play KDW.

Also, while going over the SCG results, I watched Cedric Philips deck tech
on his Jund Aggro (which was basically a "Gruulhammer" deck splashing black for Aristocrat). My jaw hit the floor when he said that Hellrider is a bad card because it can get blocked by Restoration Angel. Now, I do agree with his choice of Aristocrat for his deck (his deck is not made to swarm, and hence does not need Hellrider), but saying Hellrider sucks? Shame, shame, Mr. Philips. That guy has a penchant for insulting cards that have worked for him in the past.

And now that it's official, Happy Birthday, redthirst! Many years ago, amidst the moans of a thousand virgins, the ground opened up and a great, fiery claw delivered the infant redthirst to the human family that would raise him. His destiny was set and his future was promising. He would one day lead the Red Mages to the promised land with his tactical genius, tell-it-like-it-is attitude, and his large, American penis. Today we have recognized his rise to greatness, but the future holds much more for this god amongst men. Long live
the king!
Last edited by Khaospawn on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:48 am

Right. But gruul aggro got a wolf-cap wearing goblin back! Yay!

Seriously, in a deck that have both Rancor and Ghor-Clan Rampager, or possibly that new Armadillo Cloak? Oh my...
Sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:52 am

For anyone relatively close to Kansas City (or looking for a unique travel weekend), there's an awesome art show coming up in just under a month. Spectrum Fastastic Art Live 2 will take place the weekend of May 17-19, 2013. Approximately 60 artists will be in attendance selling their wares, doing commissioned work, signing cards/books/comics/? and generally hanging out with attendees. Here's the event blurb:

Spectrum Fantastic Art Live is a three-day celebration of the art and artists that bring to life the fantastic worlds of our favorite science fiction, fantasy, and horror books, movies, and comics. SFAL allows fans and artists to mingle, shop, learn and be inspired through exhibits of original works of art, panel discussions and workshops hosted by some of the most notable members of this artistic community. They can get their personal portfolios critiqued by leading industry Art Directors and revel in the
vast creative energy that permeates every facet of the experience. Our goal is to honor our industry, celebrate the creators and mentor new talent.

Special guests for the event include Jon Foster, Peter de Sève, Tara McPherson, Charles Vess, Michael Whelan and Terryl Whitlatch. At least the following MtG artists will be there:

Steve Argyle
Drew Baker
Steve Belledin
Jason Engle
Jason Felix
Jon Foster
Randy Gallegos
Gary Gianni
Tyler Jacobsen
David Palumbo
RK Post
Wayne Reynonds
Dan Scott
John Stanko
Frank Vohwinkel

No affiliation or anything on my part...I'm just stoked because the first one last year was a huge success. I want to get a print of Argyle's alt art Liliana to have signed...as well as my playset, of course! I also have all sorts of Whelan odds and ends that I'd like personalized...

Here's the website for anyone who wants more info;
hope to see some of you there!
Last edited by photodyer on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Righteous sig by NBW

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:00 am

Weapon Surge should be a good trick for All-in Mono-Red that acts like Dynacharge.

I am still liking the new toys from Gruul though.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:02 am

Seriously, in a deck that have both Rancor and Ghor-Clan Rampager, or possibly that new Armadillo Cloak? Oh my...
Resisting the urge to make a potentially offensive joke.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:13 am

nResisting the urge to make a potentially offensive joke.
HEY JAMES! When did you do the model sitting for this? The likeness is pretty remarkable... ;-)
Righteous sig by NBW

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:30 am

Seriously, in a deck that have both Rancor and Ghor-Clan Rampager, or possibly that new Armadillo Cloak? Oh my...[/
quote]
Resisting the urge to make a potentially offensive joke.
Resisting the urge to...WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU DO WITH KHAOS???!!!!

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 am

LP, I just don't want a kangaroo assassin sent my way!

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:40 am

As long as its directed at me, please continue and go as deep as you like :) this is too good an opportunity for me to deny!

Also, the new +1/+0 with first strike overload card probably replaces Dynacharge in AIR.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:43 am

Go as deep as you like....giggity

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:46 am

Heyo!
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:47 am

I actually really like the artwork on that goblin hahaha.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:02 am

Jund deck running Varolz, Vexing Devil, and Slumbering Dragon? 11 damage nut draw on turn 2 (T1 Experiment One, T2 2x Vexing Devil, swing). I hate to say it, but VD might have a home in this deck.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:04 am

I actually really like the artwork on that goblin hahaha.
Exactly...the art seriously reminded me of the pic of you from the night that a certain lady wandered in and stole your pelt. I can see you getting a look in your eye akin to that gob as you go in to put someone down to the mat. I think he's meant to be your avatar, Z...
Righteous sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:06 am

Jund deck running Varolz, Vexing Devil, and Slumbering Dragon? 11 damage nut draw on turn 2 (T1 Experiment One, T2 2x Vexing Devil, swing). I hate to say it, but VD might have a home in this deck.
Increasing Savagery?
Righteous sig by NBW

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:09 am

What I don't get is why the flavour text mentions a bear, but he is clearly wearing a wolf hat; but they might be bear claws?
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:10 am

Increasing Savagery?
You don't even need to.

[deck]
4 Experiment One
4 Vexing Devil
4 Slumbering Dragon
4 Spiked Jester
3 Lothleth Troll
3 Dreg Mangler
4 Varolz, the Scar-Striped
4 Falkenrath Aristocrat

3 Brimstone Volley
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Putrefy
[/deck]

Or maybe more burn in place of Abrupt Decay.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:11 am

He has the right to bear arms.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:14 am

*crickets chirping*
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:16 am

What I don't get is why the flavour text mentions a bear, but he is clearly wearing a wolf hat; but they might be bear claws?
You have the right of it...those claws are definitely modeled after a grizzly and that headdress is unquestionably vulpine.
Righteous sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:16 am

Looks like bear claws to me.

The new version has a worse picture (too bad I only have 3 copies of the Guildpact version), but perhaps better flavour text. There should be a way to combine the old picture with the new flavour text...

Last edited by Platypus on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sig by NBW

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:17 am

Agree, old art is better; new text is better.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:17 am

He has the right to bear arms.
You were just waiting for the chance to break with that one, weren't you? :yes:
Righteous sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:23 am

Increasing Savagery?
You don't even need to.

[deck]
4 Experiment One
4 Vexing Devil
4 Slumbering Dragon
4 Spiked Jester
3 Lotleth Troll
3 Dreg Mangler
4 Varolz, the Scar-Striped
Falkenrath Aristocrat

3 Brimstone Volley
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Putrefy
[/deck]

Or maybe more burn in place of Abrupt Decay.
Drop that or Putrefy for Liliana; you don't mind discarding, and if Dragon is on the field with Lili he's protecting her and demanding removal.
Righteous sig by NBW

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:25 am

Happy birthday (in America now) to our greatest member and his great member!
Still fucking pissed about the spoilers. Looks like Wizards is really pushing Turbo-Fog with Lavina and Riot Control, but just generally hates mono-red. Whatever, I guess that means I don't have to spend money on Standard updates.
Sig by NBW.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:48 am

I've been waiting my whole life for the right opportunity to use the bear arms shtick. My life is complete and I can die content now.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Happy Birthday to redthirst!

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Return to “Fires of Salvation”