[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:20 pm

How did that happen?

Standings, here are all the mocs11 list I'm not sure why they didn't show the 2nd half but he was having a tough time beating GBx.

EDIT: The list which won in the end was Arise! Phoenix, Arise! by Anssi A
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant he got past other people with more points than him to top 8, like a glitch or something. I imagined it to be a much larger event.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:24 pm

I played around with the MOCS list a bunch tonight, and I'm not really a fan. I think Walter White and Big Boros are both better suited to me as a player.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Sometimes I know you guys don't actually think before asking questions.
It helps balance out the fact that I never think before answering questions.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:26 pm

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo on mutavaults.

You're playing 21 lands and you need all of them to be colored sources. The CIPT isn't that big of a liability since you have lots of 1 and 2 mana plays and scry makes your deck playable.

Trooper is good for the mirror(the burn mirror, and maybe white and/or green agro mirror, not the RDW mirror) and control.

I will say from watching MJ play, satyr did work every time it was cast.
That makes sense. I just don't do well with such a low creature count I guess.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:34 pm

It's similar to legacy burn in that you have to know when to value creatures and board presence, vs. just hitting the other guys face. It's also non-trivial to handle all the scrying you do correctly.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Sometimes I know you guys don't actually think before asking questions.
Was gonna make a "why aren't you playing firedrinker satyr joke", then realized you weren't playing satyr.

Awkward.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:47 pm

It's similar to legacy burn in that you have to know when to value creatures and board presence, vs. just hitting the other guys face. It's also non-trivial to handle all the scrying you do correctly.
Could just be that I've not put in the time to learn the lines. I don't know.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Glad to hear things are going well in your life, Photo.

Best of luck kicking the habit, LP.

DarthStabber's new avatar is pleasing.

Penis.

Kay, I'm caught up now.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:04 pm

FYI, MODO card prices seem to be rebounding and trending back up...
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:11 pm

Price of shocks has actually peaked above what it was before the DEs were cancelled. I imagine they are/were being speculated on quite heavily and a lot of people bought them in bulk and perhaps dried up the market a bit.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Mogilicious.

That is all.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:25 pm

I was just about to get off my ass and start on mtgo before they cancelled the daily events. Is there enough competitive play and ways to earn tickets right now or is it best to hold off?

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:29 pm

You can play in 8mans and still get value if your deck is good, but it's nowhere near a DE in terms of EV.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:28 pm

I just made a totally off-the-wall Modern Zoo deck. Also posted in my AIR Modern thread, though I would no longer classify this as all-in.

[deck]
4 Tattermunge Maniac
4 Dryad Militant
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Naya Hushblade
4 Jund Hackblade

Spells (12)
4 Civic Saber
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Boros Charm

Lands (20)
4 Stomping Ground
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Copperline Gorge
4 Karplusan Forest
4 Battlefield Forge
[/deck]

Not sure what the most optimal land base actually is, I just threw it together. Godless Shrine could very well be correct to cast Cackler, Figure, Militant, Hushblade, Hackblade, and Boros Charm.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:29 pm

needs more good cards
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:55 pm

I already said some of this in the AIR thread, but for the mana base, it's better to run City of Brass than any other pain land, since you'd pretty much never tap them for colorless. Since you don't give a fuck about curving out past 3 and don't play any fetches, the fastlands seem like your best lands, so Razerverge Thicket is definitely better than Godless Shrine. It's probably better than Karplusan Forest as well, since the only cards that won't accept white or mana in place of red are bolt, cackler and hackblade. You shouldn't have problems finding enough red with 16 sources.
Sig by NBW.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:11 pm

Actually, nope, fuck Razorvege Thicket. I goldfished the deck on cockatrice and found that you need every one of your lands to make red for you.
Sig by NBW.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:12 pm

I just made a totally off-the-wall Modern Zoo deck. Also posted in my AIR Modern thread, though I would no longer classify this as all-in.

[deck]
4 Tattermunge Maniac
4 Dryad Militant
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Naya Hushblade
4 Jund Hackblade

Spells (12)
4 Civic Saber
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Boros Charm

Lands (20)
4 Stomping Ground
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Copperline Gorge
4 Karplusan Forest
4 Battlefield Forge
[/deck]

Not sure what the most optimal land base actually is, I just threw it together. Godless Shrine could very well be correct to cast Cackler, Figure, Militant, Hushblade, Hackblade, and Boros Charm.
Did you basically just look at your collection, and say to yourself "i've got a
million Civic Sabers from RTR limited, let's build a modern deck around them"? Loving it.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:31 pm

Damn, this one is fun to goldfish. Double BTE + Jund Hackblade allows for 20 damage by turn 3 with most hands.
Sig by NBW.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:40 pm

I laughed when I saw Civic Saber, but it's certainly a good piece of equipment for the price. 3 is probably the right number.

If you're already on the Hackblade train, consider some Bloodhall Ooze for a dash of janky hilarity.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:51 pm

Needs Goblin guide.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:58 pm

ALWAYS PLAY TO YOUR OUTS.

In tournament practice room and faced a pretty typical mono black devotion list. I was running a mono-red pyromancer deck that doesn't have Chandras yet, so 2 Ash Zealots in its place. Other than that a stock PyroRed list. The guy had 2 demons on board and had been removing almost everything I stuck. I ended the game with just a Firedrinker Satyr on board, but won it because, on 3 land, Magma Jet in hand, and him at 4 life I Magma Jetted in the upkeep, scry'ed away 2 land, and top-decked a Shock. Almost everybody I know would have scooped WAY earlier in that game. We were at like turn 12 or something, and I hadn't even seen any Phoenixes that game for sac/recursion.
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:09 pm

In tournament practice room and faced a pretty typical mono black devotion list. I was running a mono-red pyromancer deck that doesn't have Chandras yet, so 2 Ash Zealots in its place. Other than that a stock PyroRed list. The guy had 2 demons on board and had been removing almost everything I stuck. I ended the game with just a Firedrinker Satyr on board, but won it because, on 3 land, Magma Jet in hand, and him at 4 life I Magma Jetted in the upkeep, scry'ed away 2 land, and top-decked a Shock. Almost everybody I know would have scooped WAY earlier in that game. We were at like turn 12 or something, and I hadn't even seen any Phoenixes that game for sac/recursion.
There are so many players that need to
learn this. In fact, I just don't always play to my outs.

Wanna know my secret?

I keep playing since my opponents are still able to hand me the game thanks to one crucial mistake, like when a Green player should attack me with everything for lethal and doesn't. Or when a Combo player says he's gonna "go off." Sure, I'll wait, Mr. Johnny-Combo. Oh, you failed? Too bad, I guess I win.

I've never told anybody this, but I played poker for years. I paid my rent on it for more than 6 months until I was pretty much banned from every home game I could find. I learned so much from poker that when I finally came back to Magic after a 4 year hiatus, I still felt like I should be shuffling my chips on the side. The skills you learn are tremendous. That's why when I play Red, I feel like I'm playing my opponent more than I am my own cards.

Also, it's how I learned to drink and keep playing.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:31 pm

Just won a 2-man against some B/W list. You know that grin players probably get when they drop Soldier of the Pantheon against your Cackler and BTE? Not as big as my grin when I see a 3rd land in my hand along with a YP$ and Shock! :)

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:37 pm

This advice can be applied to many things outside of Magic. If you're into Pokemon battling, don't be afraid to use Protect twice in a row if that speed boost or leftovers effect is what you need to win. It works 50% of the time, but most people treat it like it's single use. I was on the wrestling team for two years in middle school, and I learned that it's very easy for a match to turn around, even if you're in a pretty bad position. Nothing's going to happen if you both just stand there in a struggle. One guy has to make a move to put the other guy on his back, and if you let up pressure for even half a second, the last 30 seconds that you spent holding the other guy in a half nelson mean nothing, because he just got up. Conversely, it doesn't matter if you were on the bottom for three quarters of the match if you can find a way to get up and turn it around. I guess this becomes a lesson for both being on top
and behind on a seemingly one-sided game. Just because it seems like you have him beat doesn't mean that he actually is. And "when you've got nothing, you might as well trade if for something else."
Sig by NBW.

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:43 pm

Stardust's latest corruption report is, as usual, very entertaining. Suga better look out. He's being watched.
SM, you complete me. :love:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:44 pm

This advice can be applied to many things outside of Magic. If you're into Pokemon battling, don't be afraid to use Protect twice in a row if that speed boost or leftovers effect is what you need to win. It works 50% of the time, but most people treat it like it's single use. I was on the wrestling team for two years in middle school, and I learned that it's very easy for a match to turn around, even if you're in a pretty bad position. Nothing's going to happen if you both just stand there in a struggle. One guy has to make a move to put the other guy on his back, and if you let up pressure for even half a second, the last 30 seconds that you spent holding the other guy in a half nelson mean nothing, because he just got up. Conversely, it doesn't
matter if you were on the bottom for three quarters of the match if you can find a way to get up and turn it around. I guess this becomes a lesson for both being on top and behind on a seemingly one-sided game. Just because it seems like you have him beat doesn't mean that he actually is. And "when you've got nothing, you might as well trade if for something else."
I don't have a fucking clue what you just said right now.

But I'm feelin' it right now! :love:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:47 pm

Stardust's latest corruption report is, as usual, very entertaining. Suga better look out. He's being watched.
Dat Stardust. He's doing Purphoros's work.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:52 pm

Des anyone feel that this site should have 'tagging' capabilities?

Like, when I namedrop in a thread, I want the name-dropped person to know what I said. And then take it from there.

Anybody? Anybody? No? Yes? Eh.... :B

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:53 pm

Those reports are so much funnier if you read them aloud. This part had me laughing out loud:
It is simply not possible for a mod to speak to a user in this fashion without either having an agenda or outright mocking the user. Question of Suga's intelligence obviously eliminates the former.
Sig by NBW.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:58 pm

[deck]
4 Tattermunge Maniac
4 Dryad Militant
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Naya Hushblade
4 Jund Hackblade

Spells (12)
4 Civic Saber
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Boros Charm

Lands (20)
4 Stomping Ground
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Copperline Gorge
4 Karplusan Forest
4 Battlefield Forge
[/deck]

Not sure what the most optimal land base actually is, I just threw it together. Godless Shrine could very well be correct to cast Cackler,
Figure, Militant, Hushblade, Hackblade, and Boros Charm.
Did you basically just look at your collection, and say to yourself "i've got a million Civic Sabers from RTR limited, let's build a modern deck around them"? Loving it.
Yep!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:05 am

[deck]
4 Tattermunge Maniac
4 Dryad Militant
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Naya Hushblade
4 Jund Hackblade

Spells (12)
4 Civic Saber
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Boros Charm

Lands (20)
4 Stomping Ground
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Copperline Gorge
4 Karplusan Forest
Battlefield Forge
[/deck]

Did you basically just look at your collection, and say to yourself "i've got a million Civic Sabers from RTR limited, let's build a modern deck around them"? Loving it.
Yep!
My man-boner is throbbing for you, Val.

No homo.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:29 am

Sam Black's decklist from DC is basically exactly the same as my Bant list. Ugh.

F.I.A

Postby F.I.A » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:27 am

If there's possibility of you winning, then yes,
go for broke. There were games where my opponent was at 5 life and he turned all his creatures sideway, and the next wave would finish me off. I was only at 3 mana with a Mutavault, so not even a Lightning Strike could get me out of the pinch. Then I drew a [card]Titan's Strength[/card], activated Muta to make it a 5/3 and swung for lethal.

Conceding early on when it's a losing game (Low creature count against DD with him at 10+ life) will conceal some of the trumps you have in the deck. In fact, I think that's what most post-DE opponents have been doing these days in 2-mans. When they mulled to 4, they just draw-go and do not bother to even drop a land. Of course, this only works in Game 1.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:30 am

If there's possibility of you winning, then yes, go for broke. There were games where my opponent was at 5 life and he turned all his creatures sideway, and the next wave would finish me off. I was only at 3 mana with a Mutavault, so not even a Lightning Strike could get me out of the pinch. Then I drew a [card]Titan's Strength[/card], activated Muta to make it a 5/3 and swung for lethal.

Conceding early on when it's a losing game (Low creature count against DD with him at 10+ life) will conceal some of the trumps you
have in the deck. In fact, I think that's what most post-DE opponents have been doing these days in 2-mans. When they mulled to 4, they just draw-go and do not bother to even drop a land. Of course, this only works in Game 1.
Yep, that is the correct play - I did the same thing during DEs when they were still up.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:46 am

[deck]
4 Tattermunge Maniac
4 Dryad Militant
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Naya Hushblade
4 Jund
Hackblade

Spells (12)
4 Civic Saber
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Boros Charm

Lands (20)
4 Stomping Ground
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Copperline Gorge
4 Karplusan Forest
4 Battlefield Forge
[/deck]

Yep!
My man-boner is throbbing for you, Val.

No homo.
I thought I detected a disturbance in the Force.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:08 am

It twitched again?

Must be hungry. Feed it a redhead, or we're doomed.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:30 am

Are we still going to do the Cockatrice tournaments that Alex suggested a while back?

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:31 am

I haven't seen it discussed in the Staff forum since. Maybe I'll bring it back up and get TPTB to make an announcement.

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:57 am

was on mtg goldfish, looking at the modern meta, when I saw a tab that just said "R". the 3 cards listed under it were: Spellskite, Kargan Dragonlord, and Chandra's phonix...

I was thinking "no fucking way"

Guess what?

100% 4 Chandra's Phoenix 7.00
100% 4 Figure of Destiny 3.00
100% 4 Spellskite 31.88
100% 4 Kargan Dragonlord 5.32
100% 3 Grim Lavamancer 4.53
100% 2 Rakka Mar 0.14
Spells
100% 4 Lightning Bolt 0.32
100% 4 Flame Javelin 0.12
100% 3 Blood Moon 18.48