[Primer] Dos Rakis

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

shpedoinkle
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby shpedoinkle » Sat May 18, 2013 5:15 pm

I also played tis for the second week and dropped after going 1-2, got crushed by Naya midrange (huntsmater, thragtusk and resto were too much, I still had outs though) and Gruul agro (he just god-handed g1 and then I couldn't draw any of the removal after a mul to 6) The top 8 was from what I could tell, 2 Jund, 1 Gruul, 2 RDW and 3 Naya blitz, so pretty much an aggro craps-shoot. I think control and reanimator got blow out by all the aggro. What I found was, I need some luck to win, and the second huntsmaster of the game really puts me behind.

Still like the deck, might need to adjust to the meta

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Massachusetts TCG State Champs tomorrow, going reppin Rakdos!!!

Probably going to run 4 reckoner 3 pillar and see how it goes.
Burn baby burn!

RDW

Postby RDW » Sat May 18, 2013 7:21 pm

I also played tis for the second week and dropped after going 1-2, got crushed by Naya midrange (huntsmater, thragtusk and resto were too much, I still had outs though) and Gruul agro (he just god-handed g1 and then I couldn't draw any of the removal after a mul to 6) The top 8 was from what I could tell, 2 Jund, 1 Gruul, 2 RDW and 3 Naya blitz, so pretty much an aggro craps-shoot. I think control and reanimator got blow out by all the aggro. What I found was, I need some luck to win, and the second huntsmaster of the game really puts me behind.

Still like the deck, might need to adjust to the meta
What was your exact list? Because this deck preys on midrange strategies. I didn't think twice when a Dark Naya player played Rhox Faithmender -&
gt; Thragtusk -> Huntmaster. It just doesn't do anything to us with Boros Reckoners on the ground and Thundermaw Hellkites in the air... Anyway, here's my report.

[deck]Dos Rakis[/deck]

I ran Tribute to Hunger because my Olivia Voldaren were out on loan and because of the rise of Bant Hexproof and American Auras.

Round 1: Boros Aggro (2-0)

G1: Stalled with Boros Reckoner and then hit him four times with Thundermaw Hellkite.
G2: Removed everything, stalled with Boros Reckoner and Ash Zealot, then hit him five times with Falkenrath Aristocrat.

Round 2: Jund Midrange (1-2)

G1:
Curved 1-2-3-5 and got there.
G2: I kept a removal-heavy hand and never drew into the threats. Had 2 Dreadbore and 1 Mizzium Mortars at one time and was greedy (he had Rhox Faithmender and 2 Avacyn's Pilgrims) so I could have removed the Rhox Faithmender and a Pilgrim but was trying to wait on the sixth land to overload Mizzium Mortars, so I ran out a Falkenrath Aristocrat for some damage. I blanked land draw steps twice so just went for the Dreadbore on the Rhox Faithmender, but he Undying Evil'd it and I had to Dreadbore again. He whittled me down with Kessig Wolf Run'd Avacyn's Pilgrims and I just lost.
G3: Mulled to 5 (2 land, all 4-5 drops -> 1 land -> 3 land, Boros Reckoner, Thundermaw Hellkite). He just had more cards than I, so I lost.

Round 3: Junk Tokens (2-0)

Just won twice; nothing memorable. I didn't realize how much I missed killing things with Searing Spear + Ash Zealot, and Advent of the Wurm tokens are a new prey.

Round 4: BUG Control (2-0)

G1: 1-2-3, win.
G2: 1-2-2-...Supreme Verdict...-4-5, win. Control's too easy.

Round 5: Dos Rakis (2-0)

G1: I saw 2 Pillar of Flame, an Ash Zealot, and 2 Boros Reckoner, so I was able to win (I was on the play).
G2: I saw a bunch of removal, then I stalled out on 3 lands for a while (but had Boros Reckoner to stall her). She Thundermaw Hellkite'd me, which I removed with Searing Spear and Pillar of Flame. Then she Falkenrath Aristocrat'd me, which I Thundermaw Hellkite'd in return, then Falkenrath Aristocrat'd her and won. I'm glad I had the extra card here.

Round 6: Turbo Gruul w/ Ash Zealots and no Rancors (0-2)

Our weakness really is these hyperaggressive strategies, but the sideboard really showed its worth here.

G1: I almost stabilized at 6 life, but he found a Ghor-clan Rampager to Bloodrush.
G2: I drew tons of removal and 1-for-1'd for a loooong time. I was happy hitting land 5 because a Thundermaw Hellkite
would've been able to race any of his creatures, but then I drew land 6, an Ash Zealot (which reduced him down to 4 life along with Boros Reckoner triggers and a lone Falkenrath Aristocrat getting through in the middle), but... then I drew land 7, land 8, and land 9, and lost to his Stromkirk Noble -> Flinthoof Boar over those 3 turns. My next four draws were lands too. Variance got me here, but I am very happy that my sideboard is capable of taking these games home. I wish there was more 1-mana removal spells.

4-2 in a 50-person FNM's not terrible, esp. after playing burn for a few weeks and only misplaying once in creature-based battles. Not quite sure where this deck should head moving forward, but it seems very powerful and well-positioned.
Last edited by RDW on Mon May 20, 2013 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

shpedoinkle
Newcomer

Postby shpedoinkle » Sat May 18, 2013 7:43 pm

What was your exact list? Because this deck preys on midrange strategies. I didn't think twice when a Dark Naya player played Rhox Faithmender -> Thragtusk -> Huntmaster. It just doesn't do anything to us with Boros Reckoners on the ground and Thundermaw Hellkites in the air... Anyway, here's my report.

This week I have the exact list from the primer, last week a little slower version, one of the things the naya midrange had going for it was that it was not Dark Naya but a version of straight naya that just ramps into Thragtusk/Huntsmaster/Thundermaw with a few Dragon's Maze cards thrown in. You are correct about Reckoners and Thundermaw, He was also aware of that, he concentrated on removing my reckoners, ran more removal than I'm used to in Naya, and held back charm g2 for my thundermaw. Aristocrat was nice, but it wasn't enough. Still I was in both games with
some outs. Sometimes luck favors the other guy even in a good matchup
Does anyone run Blasphemous Act? With so many BTE decks in my meta I am thinking of it

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Sun May 19, 2013 3:43 pm

If you're looking for an earlier sweeper than Act, then Rolling Temblor should work well. Act is good for a combo-kill with Reckoner.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

shpedoinkle
Newcomer

Postby shpedoinkle » Sun May 19, 2013 7:56 pm

If you're looking for an earlier sweeper than Act, then <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Rolling Temblor">Rolling Temblor</a> should work well. Act is good for a combo-kill with Reckoner.
I think I was just on tilt after he had 5 creatures on board after his turn 2 (triple BTE). I'm still convinced that we have a good matchup against aggro with the 15 removal cards +Olivia after SB. I might just go to having 4 Reckoners MB until the amount of aggro goes down rather than mess with an already tight SB. I can't mistake variance for bad card choices.

RDW

Postby RDW » Mon May 20, 2013 3:33 am

What was your exact list? Because this deck preys on midrange strategies. I didn't think twice when a Dark Naya player played Rhox Faithmender -> Thragtusk -> Huntmaster. It just doesn't do anything to us with Boros Reckoners on the ground and Thundermaw Hellkites in the air... Anyway, here's my report.

This week I have the exact list from the primer, last week a little slower version, one of the things the naya midrange had going for it was that it was not Dark Naya but a version of straight naya that just ramps into Thragtusk/Huntsmaster/Thundermaw with a few Dragon's Maze cards thrown in. You are correct about Reckoners and Thundermaw, He was also aware of that, he concentrated on removing my
reckoners, ran more removal than I'm used to in Naya, and held back charm g2 for my thundermaw. Aristocrat was nice, but it wasn't enough. Still I was in both games with some outs. Sometimes luck favors the other guy even in a good matchup
Does anyone run Blasphemous Act? With so many BTE decks in my meta I am thinking of it
I've been running burn lately and Boros Reckoner + Blasphemous Act is so good that I had 6 slots for the combo. Taking this into consideration, I don't think anyone could fault you for incorporating the Blasphemous Acts into your build to further combat aggressive strategies. The combo also has utility in the non-Jund midrange match-ups, so the 2 Blasphemous Acts could take Olivia Voldaren's place in the sideboard if you wanted to take that route... I too got owned by a BTE deck even with 12 slots for the match-up. Not sure what else's we can do--if anything--to gain some footing with these kinds of decks. I really wanted Rhox
Faithmender this week, if only for the troll factor in the mirror. Not sure what I want to do with deck, but I'll be playing Tuesday (either this deck or burn), and I'll report appropriately.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon May 20, 2013 2:22 pm

Was going to take the deck to States but a monsoon hit about 30 minutes into the trip so the guy I was riding with and I decided to hit a local GPT instead.

It was small: 5 rounds and then cut to top 8.

Round 1 - UW Control: Ran over the guy 2-0. Basically goldfished two wins.

Round 2 - Jund Varolz Aggro: Hey played VDs and I took the damage and then killed him 2-0. Cool guy, though - he'd only been playing for a few months since his family moved from California to South Carolina (he felt the need to clarify that he wasn't gay :rofl: ) and he asked for help with his deck. By the end of the tournament he came up to me and was like "You were right, VD is really bad without Varolz in play."
:smileup:

Round 3 - Esper
Tokens: Well, she sure played a lot of tokens... 2-0. Both games I saw 3 Lingering Souls - First game, Ash Zealot was my MVP, second game Olivia just took over the board.

At this point I was told that 3-0-2 should be good enough to squeek into the top 8.

Round 4 - ?: Got dinner ID. Noms BBQ

Round 5 - Naya Blitz: ID into top 8 but played for fun anyway and won 2-1. First game was real close and we just kept beating on each other - it came down to me needing to topdeck any burn spell, Haste creature, or Reckoner to win or any creature at all to block and give me another turn... got Mountain instead. Games 2-3, he boarded for the Aggro MU (VS and Pillar) and I became a removal heavy Midrange deck - those games weren't close.

Top 8: It was 12:30 at night when top 8 was announced. My buddy and I discussed it for a minute, then dropped, took our 5-8th prize and headed back to get some sleep. He opened a Ral Zarek out of his packs; I think the best I got was a Renounce the Guilds.

I was happy with the deck's performance.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:13 pm

How happy have you guys been so far with Spike Jester vs Knight of Infamy? There is a decent amount of white around

Also, Dreadbore vs Spear/Pillar?
Burn baby burn!

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Tue May 21, 2013 7:34 pm

I strongly prefer Spike Jester to KoI.

I play Pillar but would consider switching to Dreadbore because it's good in every MU.
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

I love the D...

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Tue May 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Was going to take the deck to States but a monsoon hit about 30 minutes into the trip so the guy I was riding with and I decided to hit a local GPT instead.

It was small: 5 rounds and then cut to top 8.

Round 1 - UW Control: Ran over the guy 2-0. Basically goldfished two wins.

Round 2 - Jund Varolz Aggro: Hey played VDs and I took the damage and then killed him 2-0. Cool guy, though - he'd only been playing for a few months since his family moved from California to South Carolina (he felt the need to clarify that he wasn't gay :rofl: ) and he asked for help with his deck. By the end of the tournament he came up to me and was like "You were right, VD is really bad
without Varolz in play."
:smileup:

Round 3 - Esper Tokens: Well, she sure played a lot of tokens... 2-0. Both games I saw 3 Lingering Souls - First game, Ash Zealot was my MVP, second game Olivia just took over the board.

At this point I was told that 3-0-2 should be good enough to squeek into the top 8.

Round 4 - ?: Got dinner ID. Noms BBQ

Round 5 - Naya Blitz: ID into top 8 but played for fun anyway and won 2-1. First game was real close and we just kept beating on each other - it came down to me needing to topdeck any burn spell, Haste creature, or Reckoner to win or any creature at all to block and give me another turn... got Mountain instead. Games 2-3, he boarded for the Aggro MU (VS and Pillar) and I became a removal heavy Midrange deck - those games weren't close.

Top 8: It was 12:30 at night when top 8 was announced. My buddy and I discussed it for a minute, then dropped,
took our 5-8th prize and headed back to get some sleep. He opened a Ral Zarek out of his packs; I think the best I got was a Renounce the Guilds. :rolleyes:

I was happy with the deck's performance.
Sounds like a kickass night, dude. Congrats on beating some faces in.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:01 pm

I play Pillar but would consider switching to Dreadbore because it's good in every MU.
I know we play 7 flyers, but I still find Boros Reckoner to be a problem if we get an aggro-hand without any top end. Hate getting 2 for 1. KoI did swing past him which was nice.

I think Dreadbore would be a nice addition since we are not one of these hyper-aggro deck where the game is over by turn 5. Those games, Pillar/Spear will kill just about anything your opponent plays but our games go longer and we run into creatures we need Dreadbore for.

Additionally, I consider Aristocrat and Thundermaw pretty good reach for getting damage in, I don't think in this deck the Pilllar/Spear are totally necessary.

Loxodon
Smiter is getting pretty popular too, and he can also be a PITA.

The question for me is, with the rise of Voice of Resurgance, and our vulnerability to hyper-aggro, do we take out Pillar or Spear for Dreadbore? I am actually leaning taking Spear out since its slower and doesn't deal with Voice well.
Burn baby burn!

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue May 21, 2013 10:34 pm

Those are very good points. Since I find myself playing mortars main in mono-red, I'm definitely on the dreadbore wagon. I personally do 2 pillars, 2 bore as I want a cheap answer to mana dorks/voice etc. but leave the rest in the board. Cutting spear is actually very reasonable though since we don't need to kill things at instant speed since we're just going over the top half of the time. Depending on your meta, I like 5-8 removal spells generally. It's really a function of how many creatures do you want to run.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Tue May 21, 2013 10:45 pm

I know we play 7 flyers, but I still find Boros Reckoner to be a problem if we get an aggro-hand without any top end. Hate getting 2 for 1. KoI did swing past him which was nice.

I think Dreadbore would be a nice addition since we are not one of these hyper-aggro deck where the game is over by turn 5. Those games, Pillar/Spear will kill just about anything your opponent plays but our games go longer and we run into creatures we need Dreadbore for.

Additionally,
I consider Aristocrat and Thundermaw pretty good reach for getting damage in, I don't think in this deck the Pilllar/Spear are totally necessary.

Loxodon Smiter is getting pretty popular too, and he can also be a PITA.

The question for me is, with the rise of Voice of Resurgance, and our vulnerability to hyper-aggro, do we take out Pillar or Spear for Dreadbore? I am actually leaning taking Spear out since its slower and doesn't deal with Voice well.
Great points!

I'm headed to the TCG $5k in Worcester this Saturday and am debating which to play - this or R/g BTE aggro. It looks like Mass states, also a TCG event and hosted by the same LGS just last weekend, was dominated by Jund. Both the traditional version and more of an aggro midrange with Strangleroot and Zhur-Taa Druid. Thoughts on this matchup vs. Jund?
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:13 pm

I think Dreadbore would be a nice addition since we are not one of these hyper-aggro deck where the game is over by turn 5. Those
games, Pillar/Spear will kill just about anything your opponent plays but our games go longer and we run into creatures we need Dreadbore for.

Additionally, I consider Aristocrat and Thundermaw pretty good reach for getting damage in, I don't think in this deck the Pilllar/Spear are totally necessary.

Great points!

I'm headed to the TCG $5k in Worcester this Saturday and am debating which to play - this or R/g BTE aggro. It looks like Mass states, also a TCG event and hosted by the same LGS just last weekend, was dominated by Jund. Both the traditional version and more of an aggro midrange with Strangleroot and Zhur-Taa Druid. Thoughts on
this matchup vs. Jund?
Badass dude!! I'm going to the 5k in Worcester too! We should meet up n say hi so we can see how we are doing.

Too funny, I am also debating on the exact same deck choice as you.

I actually went to the States at TJ collectables and there was a bunch of jund and midrange in general. I expect there to be a good amount of midrange, and Dos Raki's seems perfect for that.

I'm not too worried about Jund personally, pretty good matchup for us.

Also, B/R Zombies has been popping up a lot in top8's and our deck is very similar so thats a good sign.
Burn baby burn!

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Tue May 21, 2013 11:21 pm

I know we play 7 flyers, but I still find Boros Reckoner to be a problem if we get an aggro-hand without any top end. Hate getting 2 for 1. KoI did swing
past him which was nice.

Great points!

I'm headed to the TCG $5k in Worcester this Saturday and am debating which to play - this or R/g BTE aggro. It looks like Mass states, also a TCG event and hosted by the same LGS just last weekend,
was dominated by Jund. Both the traditional version and more of an aggro midrange with Strangleroot and Zhur-Taa Druid. Thoughts on this matchup vs. Jund?
Badass dude!! I'm going to the 5k in Worcester too! We should meet up n say hi so we can see how we are doing.

Too funny, I am also debating on the exact same deck choice as you.

I actually went to the States at TJ collectables and there was a bunch of jund and midrange in general. I expect there to be a good amount of midrange, and Dos Raki's seems perfect for that.

I'm not too worried about Jund personally, pretty good matchup for us.

Also, B/R Zombies has been popping up a lot in top8's and our deck is very similar so thats a good sign.
Very cool! We'll have to figure out a way to recognize eachother. Or maybe we'll meet in a mirror match of the only 2 Dos Rakis players :jam:

nThanks for the inside knowledge on how the meta is shaping up. Time to sleeve this up and sling it around as much as possible before Saturday.
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:34 pm

Also, the other HUGE benefit to maindeck Dreadbore, is 4 more sideboard slots since we aren't going to be swapping it with Searing spear we get a lot more room to play with.

This opens it up for say, 3 Tribute to Hunger and maybe 4th Mizzium or something along those lines. Maybe Appetitite for Brains.
Burn baby burn!

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Tue May 21, 2013 11:43 pm

Also, the other HUGE benefit to maindeck Dreadbore, is 4 more sideboard slots since we aren't going to be swapping it with Searing spear we get a lot more room to play with.

This opens it up for say, 3 Tribute to Hunger and maybe 4th Mizzium or something along those lines. Maybe Appetitite for Brains.
I was actually going to ask that question. If we swap 4 Searing Spear MB for 4 Dreadbore, do we swap it evenly in SB as well?

It looks like you're answering no. So no Searing Spear at all in the 75.

In Redthirst's sideboarding write-up I don't think Searing Spear left the main 60 in a single matchup. Especially for aggro we're moving to a larger creature/more control state. That plan was initially 4 pillar/4 spear/4 dreadbore all in the
60 after game 1. What do we replace Searing Spear with to keep the control / burn density? Tribute seems really good against Bant Auras but it's not ideal against Aggro. It'll just hit their least impactful dude.

Maybe 2 Tribute to Hunger and 2 Bonfire of the Damned? EDIT: Flames of the Firebrand?

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:12 am

I was actually going to ask that question. If we swap 4 Searing Spear MB for 4 Dreadbore, do we swap it evenly in SB as well?

It looks like you're answering no. So no Searing Spear at all in the 75.

In Redthirst's sideboarding write-up I don't think Searing Spear left the main 60 in a
single matchup. Especially for aggro we're moving to a larger creature/more control state. That plan was initially 4 pillar/4 spear/4 dreadbore all in the 60 after game 1. What do we replace Searing Spear with to keep the control / burn density? Tribute seems really good against Bant Auras but it's not ideal against Aggro. It'll just hit their least impactful dude.

Maybe 2 Tribute to Hunger and 2 Bonfire of the Damned? EDIT: Flames of the Firebrand?

Yea, I just don't see Searing Spear as a sideboard kind of card.

I have a lot of Bant Enchants around here and respect the deck enough to give it 3 sideboard slots in the 3 Tribute to Hunger(Devour Flesh?).

The other extra spot could be a 3rd Olivia... or a 1-of Blasphemous Act for hyper-aggro/midrange if we are way deep in the game.

Or possibly a 1-of Bonfire to bring in against midrange and aggro.
Burn baby burn!

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Wed May 22, 2013 12:14 am

that slot also may finally be a home for Rolling Temblor if we're taking out all our low drops and bringing in a 4th Reckoner.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:23 am

that slot also may finally be a home for Rolling Temblor if we're taking out all our low drops and bringing in a 4th Reckoner.

I personally am running 4 Reckoner, he is too good not too IMO. Great against aggro and midrange and this is a control-light meta which is the only matchup where he sucks.

YGPM btw
Burn baby burn!

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Wed May 22, 2013 11:16 am

I don't like the idea of taking Spears out. It's not an exciting spell, but it is useful for killing things and going to the face for those last points of damage. If anything, I'd take out the Pillars for 3 Dreadbores and the fourth Reckoner, which would help against Aggro matchups while giving us outs against bigger threats. Reduce Pillar by two in the Side for two Tributes against hexproof decks.

Main
-4 Pillars, +3 Dreadbore, +1 Reckoner

Side
-2 Pillar, +2 Tribute

Thoughts?

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Wed May 22, 2013 2:05 pm

I don't like the idea of taking Spears out. It's not an exciting spell, but it is useful for killing things and going to the face for those last points of damage. If anything, I'd take out the Pillars for 3 Dreadbores and the fourth Reckoner, which would help against Aggro matchups while giving us outs against bigger threats. Reduce Pillar by two in the Side for two Tributes against hexproof decks.

Main
-4 Pillars, +3 Dreadbore, +1 Reckoner

Side
-2 Pillar, +2 Tribute

Thoughts?
It's a very interesting question to me, actually. Here are some thoughts:

1. Pillar is cheaper, and T1 or T2 can help deal with a Champion. Quickly and efficiently takes out mana dorks.

2. Dreadbore and Spear share the same CMC of 2. Dreadbore is
certainly more color intensive, but this deck wants BR T2 for Spike Jester anyway.

3. Anything Spear can kill, Dreadbore can kill.

4. Dreadbore can kill more things than either Spear or Pillar.

5. For reach, we have 7 flyers and Stonewright. Pillar hits to the face also, and only for 1 point less than Spear.

6. Pillar is the cleanest answer to Voice of Resurgence.

7. With control on the decline we're seeing zombies crop up again - Pillar wins here too.

I'm not saying that I'm completely sold on Pillar/Dreadbore main, no Spear in the 75, but it's an interesting idea and I'm going to toy around with it.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed May 22, 2013 3:38 pm

I like the Pillars and Spears over Dreadbore MD even though I SB Dreadbore in every MU because:

1. They're Reach
2. They're Aggressive

Which are both important to the deck's Game 1 Plan: be Aggro and steal wins.

I like DB in the SB because it's important to the deck's Game 2-3 Plan: be Midrange against a post SB anti-Aggro deck and steal wins.

I love the D...

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Wed May 22, 2013 3:53 pm

I like the Pillars and Spears over Dreadbore MD even though I SB Dreadbore in every MU because:

1. They're Reach
2. They're Aggressive

I like DB in the SB because it's important to the deck's Game 2-3 Plan: be Midrange against a post SB anti-Aggro deck and steal wins.
Another very good point. Basically, don't dilute the deck for answers when you don't know the opponent game 1. Stick to the G1 gameplan. Games 2 and 3 are for specific answers. It's the whole point of sideboards, but sometimes needs to be repeated. Thanks!

finn62
Newcomer

Postby finn62 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:53 pm

I took out pillars in favor of main deck dreadbore about a month ago. I felt like I needed more answers to big creatures especially Reckoner. I now play the pillars and spears md and dreadbore SB and have had much better results with that set up. Pillars pick off so many things early while you set up your big creatures. If they have no creatures to pick off, you can always go to the face with them, or save them for late game burn. I guess if this deck stops winning for me I will look to make changes, but right now it seems to work almost perfectly.

RDW

Postby RDW » Wed May 22, 2013 6:46 pm

The deck, as-is, really is a piece of art. IMO, it's just underrepresented and the results are lost because of this. Unless I get two consecutive 5-x's at FNMs with my burn deck, I'd absolutely pilot this with 3 PoF and 4 BR to a big event.

shpedoinkle
Newcomer

Postby shpedoinkle » Thu May 23, 2013 12:17 am

How happy have you guys been so far with Spike Jester vs Knight of Infamy? There is a decent amount of white around
At first I liked him and then I was iffy but, I can't believe I ever doubted Spike Jester over KOI. It is so much faster racing mid range and control. If you can go Cackler T1 then Jester T2 while they play a land T2 and Farseek T2 you have 5 free damage on the draw and 10 free damage on the play before you even have to worry about what they are dropping and not including your T3 play on the play. With KOI that ends up being 3 on the draw and 7 on the play. Also Jester trades with things like Flinthoof and Augur as a bonus.

RDW

Postby RDW » Thu May 23, 2013 5:03 am

To be fair, Knight of Infamy actually eats Auger of Bolas and also trades with Flinthoof Boar when attacking. I, too, like Spike Jester more than Knight of Infamy, but it might be a new-toy effect more than anything. It seems like they're both good defenders against Naya Blitz and Turbo Gruul, both good aggressors against control, but I think Spike Jester is much better against Jund midrange, while Knight of Infamy's better against Naya Midrange...

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu May 23, 2013 5:06 am

KOI has some decent upside, but you cannot argue with a 9-10 damage done by 2 cards (any 1 drop into Jester) by turn 3; that's crazy. That you can follow up with another creature on turn 3, or keep up removal while braining them is ridiculous; Cackler into Jester is a Turn 5 kill with only two cards invested, so you can actually race Thragtusk with just that ~ which has the indirect effect of making your higher drops and cards like *shudder* Skull Crack more powerful (beause you're generating more pressure with less resources, you do not have to tap out as often). KOI doesn't do that ~ he is much more controlling and situational, and while he does excel in those situations, they are at least now, currently less prevelant. If GW Aggro or Bant re-emerges as a premier deck, it will be time to start looking at him again.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Thu May 23, 2013 2:03 pm

To be fair, Knight of Infamy actually eats Auger of Bolas and also trades with Flinthoof Boar when attacking.
So does Jester, but if you're on the play you landed him a turn earlier and already hit for 3 (plus your 1-drop) before the trade.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:26 pm

1. They're Reach
2. They're Aggressive

I agree here, but I do like to have an answer to reckoner maindeck but maybe he isn't played as much as he once was.

If any of you remember when this thread was big on MTGS, I was changing the deck every week and never ran the same list twice so I'm just a tweaker =D

1. They're Reach
2. They're Aggressive

Another very good point. Basically, don't dilute the deck for answers when you don't know the opponent game 1. Stick to the G1 gameplan. Games 2 and 3 are for specific answers. It's the whole point of sideboards, but sometimes needs to be repeated. Thanks!
I think sideboards can have different purpose than what you just stated. This deck is a prime example. For the most part, the sideboard is transformational, not for specific answers. Most of the cards are very versitile which is why we sideboard in so many cards.

[quote=&
quot;RDW"]The deck, as-is, really is a piece of art. IMO, it's just underrepresented and the results are lost because of this. Unless I get two consecutive 5-x's at FNMs with my burn deck, I'd absolutely pilot this with 3 PoF and 4 BR to a big event.[/quote][/quote]

You bet, me and rcwraspy are bringin this badboy to TCG 5k Massachusetts this weekend! :smileup:
Burn baby burn!

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Has anyone else been playing against junk tokens decks? giving me some trouble...
Burn baby burn!

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu May 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Has anyone else been playing against junk tokens decks? giving me some trouble...
-2 Frostburn Weird
-1 whatever you play in Boros Reckoner's SB spot
+3 Legion Loyalist

I love the D...

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Sat May 25, 2013 2:20 pm

I took a slightly modified list to FNM last night. I worried that Bant Enchant would be there, so I moved the 4th Reckoner main in place of a Pillar of Flame, and then put 3 Tributes to Hunger in place of Pillar and Frostburn Weird. I shouldn't have bothered with it. I saw only one Bant Enchant being played the whole night but never faced it. Not the greatest night with the list as I ended up at 2-3 with two games coming down to topdeck wins by the opponent.

First round was against Bant Control. Crushed him game 1 with double Thundermaws. Games two and three he rolled me after gaining ridiculous amounts of life. The first two games saw turn two Blind Obedience. Ouch. The third game he cast Centaur Healer followed by three(!) Thragtusks. 0-1

Second round was against a UG Evolve list by a guy who had been playing for about a month. Both games, I curved out perfectly with Cackler, Jester, Reckoner, Aristocrat. I felt
sorry for the guy, but he was good-natured about it, and we talked for a while. 1-1

Third round was against a Boros/Gruul Aggro deck. All three games were fun as we basically traded back and forth. The third game came down to us both at 4 life. I have a tapped Reckoner on the field and an Aristocrat in hand. He had BTE in hand and top decked a Mauler for the win. In retrospect, I realize I should have held the Reckoner back. 1-2

Fourth round was against Selesnya midrange(?). He had Smiters, Advent of the Wurm, Centaur Healers, Voice of Resurgence, and Trostani and that enchantment that lets him populate each upkeep. Game one and Wurm tokens run me over. Game two he gets an early Blind Obedience, but it doesn't save him since I had too much removal. Game three I killed him with an Ash Zealot, a Jester, and an Aristocrat, burning away everything he put on the field. Had a scary moment with Voice and the populate enchantment on the field. Thankfully, I was able to run him down and Dreadbored the Voice
and Speared his token. 2-2

Last game was Naya Midrange. This was battle of the Reckoners. Game one he stabilizes after I got stuck on four mana with a maw in my hand. He kills me with Boros Charm. Game two, I ran him over with Jesters, Reckoners, Aristocrats, and a Pillar of Flame followed by a top decked Searing Spear. The third game we hit a stalled board state where I have two Reckoners on the field and a fist full of win: Aristocrat, Thundermaw, Olivia, and Rakdos's Return. He can't attack profitably into the Reckoners without losing his field. He drew a Zealous Conscripts, stole a Reckoner, and swung for exactly lethal. 2-3

I took pity on a kid with a budget list and traded him my extra Stromkirk Noble for an Odric, knowing that was a bad trade for me. And then gave him two Pyreheart Wolves. He really needed to value his cards better since he had some good stuff amongst his limited collection.

So, not a great night for winning, but I had a great deal of fun. Most importantly, I never felt
outmatched in any of the games. When the deck hits, it is a thing of unrelenting power and beauty. How the heck did I ever doubt the Falkenrath Aristocrats? This deck is just so much fun to play.

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun May 26, 2013 10:17 am

-2 Frostburn Weird
-1 whatever you play in Boros Reckoner's SB spot
+3 Legion Loyalist
Loyalist is niche, but when he is good, he is devastating.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

shpedoinkle
Newcomer

Jund/Naya

Postby shpedoinkle » Mon May 27, 2013 3:09 am

I keep losing to Jund midrange variants. Land, ramp, huntmaster, thragtusk, thundermaw or another huntmaster or thragtusk. Wolfrun for the win. They midrange better than we midrange and the 8 spells that gain life and make multiple bodies make it hard to race. What is everyone else doing?

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Mon May 27, 2013 2:59 pm

I keep losing to Jund midrange variants. Land, ramp, huntmaster, thragtusk, thundermaw or another huntmaster or thragtusk. Wolfrun for the win. They midrange better than we midrange and the 8 spells that gain life and make multiple bodies make it hard to race. What is everyone else doing?
I've been following redthirst's guide to sideboarding, and it's been fairly successful when I remember to do it correctly.

Midrange: -4 Cackler, -4 Stromkirk, -4 Pillar; +4 Dreadbore, +3 Mortars, +2 Olivia, +2 Rakdos's Return, +1 Reckoner

If I remember correctly, you can take notes to use for sideboarding plans. Put those on a 3x5 card and put it with your deck for reference.

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

shpedoinkle
Newcomer

Postby shpedoinkle » Mon May 27, 2013 7:10 pm

I've been following redthirst's guide to sideboarding, and it's been fairly successful when I remember to do it correctly.

Midrange: -4 Cackler, -4 Stromkirk, -4 Pillar; +4 Dreadbore, +3 Mortars, +2 Olivia, +2 Rakdos's Return, +1 Reckoner

If I remember correctly, you can take notes to use for
sideboarding plans. Put those on a 3x5 card and put it with your deck for reference.
What that ends up doing is slowing me down, they have abrupt decay for the reckoners, dreadbore and searing sphere for everything else. Is it just my bad luck? T3 huntmaster and t4 thragtusk seem to happen a lot to me and one thin I forgot is they also have bonfire.

RDW

Postby RDW » Mon May 27, 2013 8:18 pm

Either you're getting screwed by variance, or you're letting results cloud your judgment. You should play against someone in this thread playing Jund and find where the problem is?

Return to “Archives”