Uberteam Blather Force 5

*memories*

Moderators: Col. Khaddafi, ( G_R )

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Stardust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:30 pm

Btw, I've never said this to date, but I'm nominating Stardust and Rai for the "I was not afraid to walk into Mordor" award at the end of the year.
Oh, I was afraid. Terrified even. Standing at that black gate of registration was like facing down a cave troll. But I carried on. I needed to. An important act rested squarely on my shoulders that was sure to change the course of DTR history - perhaps even the course of the entire internet! I had to let you all know just how mad I was that kpaca was unbanned on MTGS. If I had left my panties bunched, left my jimmies rustled in quiet contemplation, DTR never could have moved on as a site to become the bastion of free speech and strategic advice that it has become!

nNow if only you had a front page...
҉

Sir Sapphire the 3rd
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sir Sapphire the 3rd » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:34 pm

I just shit post and get blocked on the twatters

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:35 pm

My latest Russian bot heads up:

There is a real opportunity to make money on war. It`s right time to realize your plans!!! As soon as the military attack Syria, oil prices will rise as well as [redacted]) share price!!! Begin earning profits on September 09, grab [redacted] shares.

:no:
That explains why people keep coming over for chicken nuggets

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:42 pm

There is a real opportunity to make money on war.
҉

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:43 pm

Russian bots: The new military drones.
҉

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Btw, I've never said this to date, but I'm nominating Stardust and Rai for the "I was not afraid to walk into Mordor" award at the end of the year.
Oh, I was afraid. Terrified even. Standing at that black gate of registration was like facing down a cave troll. But I carried on. I needed to. An important act rested squarely on my shoulders that was sure to change the course of DTR history - perhaps even the course of the entire internet! I had to let you all know just how mad I was that kpaca was unbanned on MTGS. If I had left my panties bunched, left my
jimmies rustled in quiet contemplation, DTR never could have moved on as a site to become the bastion of free speech and strategic advice that it has become!

Now if only you had a front page...
But I thought you weren't mad! Didn't you said so?
Originally posted by Galspanic on MTGS
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:48 pm

I always assumed you had come here just for teaching us some delicious sandwich recipes, as a gesture of reconciliation. :shrug:
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:49 pm

I don't think I've shared any of my recipes, aside of that one off-the-cuff scarab sandwich. Did you ever try that, by the way? Sadly it won't make it into my book since it's already on the way to the printers, but maybe I could add it to the second edition.
҉

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Oh, I was afraid. Terrified even. Standing at that black gate of registration was like facing down a cave troll. But I carried on. I needed to. An important act rested squarely on my shoulders that was sure to change the course of DTR history -
perhaps even the course of the entire internet! I had to let you all know just how mad I was that kpaca was unbanned on MTGS. If I had left my panties bunched, left my jimmies rustled in quiet contemplation, DTR never could have moved on as a site to become the bastion of free speech and strategic advice that it has become!

Now if only you had a front page...
But I thought you weren't mad! Didn't you said so?
At least three things in that response were untrue. Probably more.
҉

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:54 pm

But yeah, I actually advocated for kpaca's unban, after a time. The appeal thread was stagnating and no real consensus looked ready to happen, so I kinda championed that one towards the end and made it happen. I remember something about riding in on a white horse too and sweeping several attractive moderators off their feet, but my memory's a little fuzzy on that one.
҉

Sir Sapphire the 3rd
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sir Sapphire the 3rd » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:57 pm

and now look..

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:59 pm

I quit and they start banning everyone!

Except for kpaca. He's still unbanned.
҉

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:00 pm

Condoms are important, etc.
҉

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:00 pm

Its because he barely even posts. Same for Cole

Sir Sapphire the 3rd
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sir Sapphire the 3rd » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:01 pm

need protection when screawing everyone

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:02 pm

But yeah, I actually advocated for kpaca's unban, after a time. The appeal thread was stagnating and no real consensus looked ready to happen, so I kinda championed that one towards the end and made it happen. I remember something about riding in on a white horse too and sweeping several attractive moderators off their feet, but my memory's a little fuzzy on that one.
Well, good then. It means you still sport a conscience, which is not too shabby in times like these.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:02 pm

So is this set just commander.set or what
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
it's not cheating if you hand her the jizz afterwards
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Wait. This is the wrong thread
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
it's not cheating if you hand her the jizz afterwards
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

Sir Sapphire the 3rd
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sir Sapphire the 3rd » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:06 pm

Still as I sit and think on things. Am I happy that shit happened there... no. I am actually disappointed in the site cause its wasn't like that when I first signed up. It became so anti social, dry, and backstabbing.

But then again its failure birthed this place

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Well, good then. It means you still sport a conscience, which is not too shabby in times like these.
You know, I still believe that basically all the moderators have their hearts in the right place. No one is out to screw anyone over, and no one ever has been. All the bad stuff that's happened over the years basically boils down to misunderstanding and misguided application of force. We (now they) have made plenty of mistakes, but that's what they are. Mistakes. They think they're doing the right thing, and sometimes it's the wrong thing, but it's never an intentional abuse of power or anything like that. All it is is a bunch of young adults trying to run a website effectively and screwing up a few times along the way.

Like, complain about
ER not responding to user complaints or the WTC guys' word-of-god style all you want. There are plenty of ways in which all the moderators could improve, no doubt. Maybe some of them aren't fit for their jobs. But calling them corrupt or implying that they don't have a conscience is just ridiculous and always has been.
҉

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:21 pm

:iridium:

ExarionUniverse1
Tire Aficionado

Postby ExarionUniverse1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Also unrelated, how much prison time do you guys think Tom Servo got this time? He vanished again.
probably related :

The NSA Can Read Some Encrypted Tor Traffic
John Biggs
Saturday, September 7th, 2013

Security expert Robert Graham has done a bit of research and posts that the encryption standard used by earlier versions of the “secure” Tor protocol is most probably insecure and readable by the NSA. The vast majority of Tor servers run version 2.2 of the software which uses 1024 bit RSA/DH encryption. This is the same encryption standard that has been publicly cracked by the NSA and can be subverted in a few hours using very expensive custom chips.

What does this mean for you? Not much unless you value
anonymity. Tor offers anonymous browsing, a feature important to activists, reporters, freedom fighters , and other folks who need to browse out of the limelight. That said, the fact that, in its most popular incarnation, its encryption can be (fairly) easily broken is bad. Couple this with the fact that this same standard is used in many SSL “secure” Internet interactions and things get worse. In short, writes Cory Doctorow, if the NSA can pull this off then we can be certain that other, less savory groups, have the same technology.

These tools are open source and can be salvaged. The current cipher used for Tor version 2.4 is far worse for the NSA than any 1024 bit key and it’s easier to encrypt methodically, Tor-style, than use brute force solutions to crack haphazardly, NSA style. We’re still winning, but it takes a village to keep encryption strong.
Tags: NSA, crunchgov, tor

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:23 pm

I think Tor moved to 2048 bit RSA keys a while ago anyway.

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:24 pm

The moral corruption lies in admitting they were wrong but STILL not amending (or stop committing) wrongdoings.

Aaand there's offtopic posts in the middle.

ExarionUniverse1
Tire Aficionado

Postby ExarionUniverse1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:27 pm

You know, I still believe that basically all the moderators have their hearts in the right place. No one is out to screw anyone over, and no one ever has been. All the bad stuff that's happened over the years basically boils down to misunderstanding and misguided application of force. We (now they) have made plenty of mistakes, but that's what they are. Mistakes. They think they're doing the right thing, and sometimes it's the wrong thing, but it's never an intentional abuse of
power or anything like that. All it is is a bunch of young adults trying to run a website effectively and screwing up a few times along the way.

Like, complain about ER not responding to user complaints or the WTC guys' word-of-god style all you want. There are plenty of ways in which all the moderators could improve, no doubt. Maybe some of them aren't fit for their jobs. But calling them corrupt or implying that they don't have a conscience is just ridiculous and always has been.

correct fellow Crafter . I know Koopa for example literally tries to keep Standard up to date at all costs. Visereque is good example. To get to the bottom MTGs has professionals and non professionals.

Spam : I apologize I got carried away

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:30 pm

You know, I still believe that basically all the moderators have their hearts in the right place. No one is out to screw anyone over, and no one ever has been. All the bad stuff that's happened over the years basically boils down to misunderstanding and misguided application of force. We (now they) have made plenty of mistakes, but that's what they are. Mistakes. They think they're doing the right thing, and sometimes it's the wrong thing, but it's never an intentional abuse of power or
anything like that. All it is is a bunch of young adults trying to run a website effectively and screwing up a few times along the way.

Like, complain about ER not responding to user complaints or the WTC guys' word-of-god style all you want. There are plenty of ways in which all the moderators could improve, no doubt. Maybe some of them aren't fit for their jobs. But calling them corrupt or implying that they don't have a conscience is just ridiculous and always has been.
something something path to hell paved with good intentions

I can't be bothered to look up the correct wording.

Second Harkius
Spam Yrself Clean

Postby Second Harkius » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:30 pm

ExarionUniverse1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:27 pm

Spam : I apologize I got carried away
That's ok. We all do sometimes.

:cheers:

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:30 pm

God damnit, Onar! Stop calling me that!
҉

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:32 pm

something something path to hell paved with good intentions

I can't be bothered to look up the correct wording.
Never something something that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
҉

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:33 pm

There are plenty of ways in which all the moderators could improve, no doubt. Maybe some of them aren't fit for their jobs. But calling them corrupt or implying that they don't have a conscience is just ridiculous and always has been.
Maybe you're right, this may not be in the realms of the impossible, but it shouldn't come as a surprise that those who got the bad end of the stick might still be a little skeptic about this.

It surely doesn't help when people like Boubs even slip up an basically confirm that sale negotiations were already going before viperesque/rianalnn even announced the closing of the gutter, contrary to all that has been said in all those incarnations of gutter-staff threads where people swore it was unrelated.

And I have
factual evidence that at least one staff member of MTGS lied with all his teeth about some particular events although I promised myself that I would not pursue the matters any longer (basically I don't see any point of it after all the water that went under the bridge).

I respect your post though, I think it is refreshing to have someone actually articulate championing different points of view about this debacle (I think we can agree that the crew that hung around her last time - Galspanic, Nai, Sene and Co. - weren't very good at presenting their own points of view).

ExarionUniverse1
Tire Aficionado

Postby ExarionUniverse1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:37 pm

The moral corruption lies in admitting they were wrong but STILL not amending (or stop committing) wrongdoings.

Aaand there's offtopic posts in the middle.

Well GR in thier defense , even if they commited wrongdoings , they still got bought by Curse making the people think they actually do the correct thing.

It will take time

ExarionUniverse1
Tire Aficionado

Postby ExarionUniverse1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:38 pm

God damnit, Onar! Stop calling me that!
Yes sir , I a was showing the clan pride

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Nothing will ever change.

ExarionUniverse1
Tire Aficionado

Postby ExarionUniverse1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:40 pm

Nothing will ever change.

can I have your views on why?

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Maybe you're right, this may not be in the realms of the impossible, but it shouldn't come as a surprise that those who got the bad end of the stick might still be a little skeptic about this.

It surely doesn't help when people like Boubs even slip up an basically confirm that sale negotiations were already going before viperesque/rianalnn even announced the closing of the gutter, contrary to all that has been said in all those incarnations of gutter-staff threads where people swore it was unrelated.

And I have factual evidence that at least one staff member of MTGS lied with all his teeth about some particular events although I promised myself that I would not pursue the matters any longer (basically I don't see any point of it after all the water that went under the bridge).

I respect your post though, I think it is refreshing to have someone actually articulate
championing different points of view about this debacle (I think we can agree that the crew that hung around her last time - Galspanic, Nai, Sene and Co. - weren't very good at presenting their own points of view).
They were here as ambassadors for the most part, yeah.

I don't remember the exact sequence of events, but the first closing of the Gutter had nothing to do with Curse. Whether or not they were already in negotiation, that was all just the admins. But remember, I'm not defending the fact that they (we) kept secrets or even that they lied (if indeed they did), just that they did so because they thought it was the best course of action for the site overall. It was a mistake, it was unfair to a lot of people, but it wasn't malice. It was stupidity.

But yeah, it sucks in a lot of ways and to a lot of people. I know for a fact that many in the mod lounge look at what's said here with sadness, wishing it could have gone differently.
҉

ExarionUniverse1
Tire Aficionado

Postby ExarionUniverse1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:46 pm

And I have factual evidence that at least one staff member of MTGS lied with all his teeth about some particular events although I promised myself that I would not pursue the matters any longer (basically I don't
see any point of it after all the water that went under the bridge).

I respect your post though, I think it is refreshing to have someone actually articulate championing different points of view about this debacle (I think we can agree that the crew that hung around her last time - Galspanic, Nai, Sene and Co. - weren't very good at presenting their own points of view).
They were here as ambassadors for the most part, yeah.

I don't remember the exact sequence of events, but the first closing of the Gutter had nothing to do with Curse. Whether or not they were already in negotiation, that was all just the admins. But remember, I'm not defending the fact that they (we) kept secrets or even that they lied (if indeed they did), just that they did so because they thought it was the best course of action for the site overall. It was a mistake, it was unfair to a lot of people, but it wasn't malice. It was stupidity.

But yeah, it sucks in a lot of ways and to a lot of people. I know
for a fact that many in the mod lounge look at what's said here with sadness, wishing it could have gone differently.
Stardust , can you please explain why when I offered Nai the opportunity to summit here and my site to resolve the rift back then , he didn't even answer?

Did he even mention it in the lounge?

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:49 pm

I absolutely refuse to answer specific questions like that. I'm willing to talk about my own experiences or how I felt about an issue, but I'm not going to give you anything on anyone else. Ask him yourself.
Last edited by Stardust on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
҉

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:50 pm

By the way, despite the running joke, summits aren't all their cracked up to be. ;)

Did you consider that maybe a middleman wasn't even necessary?
҉

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:52 pm

But yeah, it sucks in a lot of ways and to a lot of people. I know for a fact that many in the mod lounge look at what's said here with sadness, wishing it could have gone differently.
And yet not once they presented a proper apology. Always playing the misunderstanding card. Maybe things could have gone differently if they had the balls to apologise?

This site is a big dump in many senses, and we for sure don't have the manpower to do many things we would like in order to improve it. And although we made a bunch of new friends (like the FoS people) and met a lot of wacky/insane people, the fact is that as of today, I'd say only 1/3 of the gutter regulars who were posting at the time people announced the shutdown are still hanging around and posting
here. That's some real damage right there, and just because some random corporation didn't like nasty words posted in hidden subsections of the site.

For all the assassination of character that iridium threw on me over this year, one thing they got right: I always put the interests of the Gutter at the forefront of everything else. That was my duty as a guttermod. And I'm not even sure that the sale of the site to Curse, and specially they way it was handled, was in the best interests of the community at large (heck, just look at how many are being left behind with the next site change), so I'd say that "selfishly putting the interests of some specific group over the interests of the forum members at large" is a half-truth at best.

I said this more than once: If people had been honest and came forward with something like "Hey guys, bad news, the site is being sold to a larger corporation, and there is no way that something like the gutter is
going to be allowed to stay. What can we do to help you guys move on with the minimum of casualties?
" could things have gone more smoothly maybe?

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Stardust , can you please explain why when I offered Nai the opportunity to summit here and my site to resolve the rift back then , he didn't even answer?

Did he even mention it in the lounge?
Onar that's enough, you've made enough drama already for the whole week. This doesn't concern you or magectraft at all, so stay out of this or otherwise I'll be deleting your posts too.

Return to “Blathering Archives”