DGM 4/19 Spoilers -- ARMADILLO CLOAK IS BACK!

Post about Magic Rumors here!

Moderator: rezombad

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

DGM 4/19 Spoilers -- ARMADILLO CLOAK IS BACK!

Postby Thrillho » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:06 am

Man, these previews are pretty cool.
I'm not sure AEtherling is going to warrant any of the hype its introductory article had for it, but it's a cool-ish card that does dodge Wrath and is unblockable sometimes.

The draw-3 is sweet but is 6 mana for Sift, so it's probably not a real boy in Constructed... but it's so cool!

Armadillo Cloak is back and I don't actually care if you cannot put it in a deck because Armadillo Cloak is back and that's all that really matters.
Attachments
vhlr9buvxs_EN.jpg
vhlr9buvxs_EN.jpg (256.91 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
9zvg9tfcm2_EN.jpg
9zvg9tfcm2_EN.jpg (276.99 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
nk2gldi7jl_EN.jpg
nk2gldi7jl_EN.jpg (275.85 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
tv875mr9q7_EN.jpg
tv875mr9q7_EN.jpg (266.34 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
spzkwz3www_EN.jpg
spzkwz3www_EN.jpg (259.32 KiB) Viewed 3635 times

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:14 am

Oh shit new Morphling

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:41 am

I don't even know if Morphling is good anymore... especially at 6cc. I mean, you're not going to want to just drop this guy on the table without a :symu: open to protect it - and I expect more out of my 7 drops than just big, unblockable, and hard to kill.

Rancor and Armadillo Cloak in Standard, huh? That's something.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Shalako
Je mourrai pour ceux que j'aime

Postby Shalako » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:48 pm

So, Burst of Strength, Ivy Lane Denizen, Evolve, Unleash, Scavenge, Grave Betrayal,Lotleth Troll,Rubblebelt raiders, Master Biomancer,Forced Adaptation ,Prime Speaker Zegana and Necropolis Regent for the Gorgon to interact with.

Hrm That's not a whole bunch to get passed to you during draft.

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:42 pm

8x armadillo cloak is too good. expect it to overrun modern and vintage :B

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:26 pm

YOU TRYING TO MAKE FUN OF ARMADILLO CLOAK PUNK? I'LL MESS YOU UP!

no but srsly Armadillo Cloak is one of the all time most casual favorite cards IIRC(?) and also I was a babby just starting to play in FNMs during Invasion and building really bad budget Fires decks using commons from Invasion draft and 6th edition and Prophecy that looked maybe similar to the cards I thought I saw other people playing in their decks (I had Kavu Chameleon and at least 2 Fires of Yavimaya, so I had to be playing the right deck), so seeing a flavor-reprint of Armadillo Cloak, especially at a time when people
are actually playing Enchantments, is a pretty cool thing.

Does this replace Gift of the Orzhova in Bant Auras?

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:42 pm

YOU TRYING TO MAKE FUN OF ARMADILLO CLOAK PUNK? I'LL MESS YOU UP!

no but srsly Armadillo Cloak is one of the all time most casual favorite cards IIRC(?) and also I was a babby just starting to play in FNMs during Invasion and building really bad budget Fires decks using commons from Invasion draft and 6th edition and Prophecy that looked maybe similar to the cards I thought I saw other people playing in their decks (I had Kavu
Chameleon and at least 2 Fires of Yavimaya, so I had to be playing the right deck), so seeing a flavor-reprint of Armadillo Cloak, especially at a time when people are actually playing Enchantments, is a pretty cool thing.

Does this replace Gift of the Orzhova in Bant Auras?
Cloak is a whole other level above Gift.
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

I love the D...

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:25 pm

I raise it as a question because trample is huge, but already granted through Rancor, and most ground creatures right now are flipping huge (Rampager, Thragtusk, Behemoth, Prime Speaker, Ravager of the Fells), meaning the only way you're fighting through them is with first strike via Ethereal Armor or Silverblade Paladin. It's something worth noting before immediately setting all of your Gift of the Orzhova on fire in celebration of the new Armadillo Cloak.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:37 pm

Well, +2/+2 is obviously better than +1/+1, but it actually more than twice as good.

Not only does an additional +1/+1 make the creature more aggressive and harder to kill (important since it's now a walking 2-for-1) it actually makes Lifelink better, too, because you're also gaining 1 additional life.

Trample is roughly as effective of an evasive ability as flying (except you can't be chumped by common cards like Lingering Souls) so that's a wash, but WG has the best creatures in the game to put something like this on so it that's a point for new Cloak.

Basically:

+2/+2 >>>>>>>> +1/+1
Cloak Lifelink > Gift Lifelink
Trample roughly = Flying
GW > W/B

I love the D...

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm

Dat Armadillo Cloak. <3

I'm pretty pumped.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:57 pm

We're talking about a deck where Wraths and, in the case of Geist of Saint Traft, blocking are the only effective ways to kill the more aggressive creatures at the core of the deck, though, so the issue of 2-for-1 is less relevant except in the case of blocking -- where 4/4s for 4, 5/3s on turn 4, and 6/6s + 6 cards on turn 5 are the baselines for ground creature combat.

Gift doesn't help against Restoration Angel, which new-Cloak does, but then Gift helps against all of these other creatures referenced above.

Saying "Trample approximates to flying" ignores some of the major weakness of not having a flying Geist of Saint Traft or losing your pairing mid-combat with Silverblade Paladin.

That said, double white SUCKS in a three-color deck that really wants an aggressive start, as is only getting +1/+1 out of your 3-mana card. I have also watched many streamers playing Bant Auras and complaining how miserable
Gift is but how necessary the things it provides are sometimes. Not sure if that critical "thing" is flying or the lifelink, but in the case of the latter, Cloak is so way super good.

I suspect you're right, but it's very important to keep in mind the rest of the meta before replacing a card that approximates but doesn't actually replace the effect of another card, especially since creatures have all taken a turn for the "is able to kill a cloaked Geist." This also may just signify that now is not the time for Bant Auras in Standard.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:41 pm

Blast of Genius is interesting. Seems like it was specifically designed for draft but I might play around with it if I do decide to build Junk Walkers; throwing a Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker at your opponent's face ftw would probably feel quite satisfying.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:26 pm

Blast of Genius is interesting. Seems like it was specifically designed for draft but I might play around with it if I do decide to build Junk Walkers; throwing a Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker at your opponent's face ftw would probably feel quite satisfying.
I feel like that's more true if you're literally throwing the card at their face.

Return to “News and Rumors”