Rx Burn

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:05 am

I'm bringing this to the Modern side events at GP Orlando:

[deck]
Creatures 14
4 Goblin Guide
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Vexing Devil
2 Grim Lavamancer

Spells 26
2 Forked Bolt
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
1 Shard Volley
3 Searing Blaze
4 Skullcrack
4 Flames of the Blood Hand

Land 20
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Wooded Foothills
10 Mountain

Sideboard 15
2 Molten Rain
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Searing Blood
2 Satyr Firedancer
2 Combust
2 Dragon's Claw
3 Smash to Smithereens
[/deck]

It's really leaning hard on the creature decks like Merfolk, Pod, and Affinity, which is where I really struggle online with. Feel free to talk some sense into me.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

vieko
Newcomer

Postby vieko » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Looks great! I'm running a similar deck tonight but replacing the Goblin Guides with Monastery Swiftspears (sick of giving away land), 8 fetchlands, 1 Stomping Ground and a sideboard that matches my local metagame better. Good luck in Orlando!
"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."
—Jaya Ballard, task mage

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:29 pm

Is Vexing Devil really that bad? Is it not the auto-4-damage it was when standard legal in with Innistrad block?

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:30 pm

Devil is fine in Modern. It isn't automatically 4 damage but it serves its purpose.
DCI Rules Advisor
MTGO/Cockatrice: BlakLanner
My YouTube Channel
BlakLanner is the boogeyman created to scare the little Standard players.
Currently Playing
Standard: [mana]RWU[/mana]Jeskai
Modern: [mana]RWG[/mana]Burn, [mana]GRWUR[/mana]Slivers
Legacy: [mana]R[/mana]Burn
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)
Current decklists are posted here

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:00 pm

I had a turn 3 kill last night thanks to the devil
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

vieko
Newcomer

Postby vieko » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:46 pm

Won all my games but one: Ad Nauseam + Angel's Grace deck... boarded Blood Moon and artifact hate for the second game but drew horribly :) How do you deal with deck?
"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."
—Jaya Ballard, task mage

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:58 pm

You just have to draw your SB hate against that deck, or be faster.

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:45 pm

Tomorrow i have a decent sized tournament and i won to play burn this time rather than goblins or red skred, because now i can play my old fetches .... i'm a lot undecided about which colors to play ..... white, black, or green for revelry or even blue for treasure cruise !

Any suggestions ? i would also be happy to pilot a list some of you plays and feels comfortable with. The only thing i know is that affinity is a decent part of my metagame, and probably there will be also some jund and merfolk.... everything else is unknown.

EDIT: in the end i spent all night brewing the deck, and i settled on mono red with green splash just for destructive revelry. My choice ended up being poor for the metagame because there were a lot of burn decks (would have been better just to be mono red), and only a couple people played leyline/circle of protection. Poor for the metagame, but good enough to win the whole event (25 people), beating U/R delver, Jund, Burn, then drawing twice into top 8 and beating U/R delver again, burn again, and rug delver in the final match.
I walked away with a future sight tarmogoyf, i don't know what to do with him, i can play him as a one of in today's deck XD more seriously i think i will try to trade for 4 snapcasters and jump on the boat of U/R delver (i really like that deck, though it has a pretty bad matchup against burn).
I had real fun today, and was very happy that top 4 was 3 burn decks + the rug guy. I also noticed that the new jeskai ascendancy combo is a good matchup for burn.... their manabase is painful, we can shoot all their mana dorks easily besides caryatid, and eidolon buy us a turn in wich they must glittering wish for an answer taking damage.... in the meanwhile they usually are just dead. Beware that they have swan song that can counter eidolon, and if you have it side in anger of the gods that is brutal.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:43 am

Won all my games but one: Ad Nauseam + Angel's Grace deck... boarded Blood Moon and artifact hate for the second game but drew horribly :) How do you deal with deck?
You just have to accept it as one of your bad matchups. Sad, but true.

On a side note, I'd much rather be playing Molten Rain over Blood Moon since it actually deals damage. Blood Moon also has diminishing returns, as drawing doubles does not further your gameplan, where Molten actually gets better in multiples.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:11 am

I played my previously posted list extensively Friday and Saturday at GP Orlando and then today I played this version:

[deck]
Creatures 14
4 Goblin Guide
4 Vexing Devil
2 Grim Lavamancer

Spells 26
2 Forked Bolt
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
1 Shard Volley
3 Searing Blaze
4 Skullcrack
2 Molten Rain
2 Flames of the Blood Hand

Land 20
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Wooded Foothills
10 Mountain

Sideboard 15
2 Molten Rain
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Searing Blood
2 Satyr Firedancer
2 Combust
2 Dragon's Claw
3 Smash to Smithereens
[/deck]

The only difference is that I took out 2 Flames of the Blood Hand for 2 more Molten so that I had a total of 4 in my 75. I sometimes missed the additional 2 damage in Game 1's, as well as it being practically dead against Mono Red, but the Moltens Rains did help immensely in a few key games versus Affinity and Twin. It's going to stay this way for the time being.

I also played with Taylor Swiftspear in place of Vexing Devil for several Win-A-Box tournaments today and I am now decidedly not a Swiftie fan right now for Burn. I actually think she's better in a U/R Delver deck, but I digress. Here's why:

- Vexing Devil actively contributes to your nutdraw. Being able to drop Goblin Guide into either more Guides and Devil (or 2 Devils) followed by some Bolts will win you the game on turn 3-4. Swiftspear does not. There are times where she's underwhelming and there's also times where she requires too many resources and/or different sequencing to be turned into Vexing Devel levels of damage.

- Vexing Devil is able to attack into Exarchs and Spellskites (and can threaten to block/kill a small Tarmogoyf). This is a big deal.

I know that only 2 bullet points may not be enough to convince some, but it's the best I can summarize right now (I'm just now getting home from my weekend). My opinion? Devil is still the champ in this fight.

Other notes:

As I suspected, creature decks are still my worse matchups - Pod, Affinity, and Merfolk. However, I'm absolutely in love with Satyr Firedancer and for right now, I wouldn't change a thing about my sideboard. If your opponent lets you untap with the Dancer, odds are they'll lose.

For Pod and Delver variants: -4 Eidolon, -4 Devil, +2 Searing Blood, +2 Firedancer, + Molten Rain, +2 Relic (or Combust, depending)

For Merfolk: -4 Eidolon, -4 Devil, +2 Searing Blood, +2 Firedancer, +2 Molten Rain, +2 Combust

For Affinity: -4 Eidolon, -4 Devil, -1 Shard Volley, +2 Searing Blood, +2 Firedancer, +3 Smash to Smithereens, +2 Molten Rain

For Twin: -4 Eidolon, -1 Devil, -1 Shard Volley, +2 Searing Blood, +2 Molten Rain, +2 Combust

For Jund/Junk/Rock: -2 Grim Lavamancer, -4 Devil, +2 Searing Blood, +2 Molten Rain, +2 Relic of Progenitus

For Mono Red Burn: -4 Eidolon, -2 Molten Rain, +2 Dragon's Claw, +2 Relic of Progenitus ( or Firedancer depending on the build) , +2 Searing Blood

For Tron variants: -3 Searing Blaze, -2 Grim Lavamancer, +2 Molten Rain, +3 Smash to Smithereens

*note: for those wondering about the matches where Shard Volley is boarded out, it's because in these games you're more likely to run into Spellskites disrupting your plays and you DO NOT want to have your Shard Volley screwed with.

These were my common matches for the weekend, and at this point the motions became automatic for me so I thought I'd share them. Keep in mind that this is merely a guide. I also faced some weird decks and a lot of easy matchups, like Infect and subpar Pod decks too, so just remember to become the control deck vs creature decks and to streamline your speed against slower decks.

vieko
Newcomer

Postby vieko » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:08 pm

You just have to accept it as one of your bad matchups. Sad, but true.
Fair enough. I splashed black to get Slaughter Games in there which led me to the deck I'm currently working on... Should I post about it here or on the R/B Burn forum? Cheers!
—Jaya Ballard, task mage

tmac
Newcomer

Postby tmac » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:35 pm

Board in Molten Rains and artifact hate against Ad Nauseam. Hope they don't play a T0 Leyline.

Blood Moon does next to nothing, they've got their Lotuses and Prisms.

tmac
Newcomer

Postby tmac » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:28 pm

Took a fetchless list for a spin today. Two maindeck Rains are a perfectly good choice.

Khaos, why do you side out all the Eidolons vs creature decks? I keep at least two and stick them when my opponent’s at <10 life and out of guys.

Also, Guttural Response is amazing versus anything blue. It works like an uncounterable Bolt. No one plays around it. Try two in the sideboard.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:09 pm

Anybody see that burn list with Treasure Cruise in it on SSG today?

EDIT: You are correct, I meant SCG. Fat-fingered the keyboard...
Last edited by Zooligan on Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calamity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Calamity » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:08 pm

I assume you mean SCG?

And funny you bring that up, I was just brainstorming a burn deck powered by cruise and swiftspear.
Official Firebat of FoS

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:33 pm

[deck]Ru Burn[/deck]

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:44 pm

[deck]Ru Burn[/deck]
Looking good, I had the same idea that Cruise would let you jam a ton of Volleys. 16 bolts amirite?

Run 12(+?) fetches like Legacy Burn?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:11 pm

[deck]Ru Burn[/deck]
Looking good, I had the same idea that Cruise would let you jam a ton of Volleys. 16 bolts amirite?

I'm uncomfortable with running more fetches then fetch-able lands in a format with PtE but yes I believe Treasure Cruise just makes cards like Shard Volley better, hell with TC you could even support this lazy SB:

4 Dragon's Claw
4 Destructive Revelry
4 Tormod's Crypt
2 Searing Blood
1 Stomping Ground

Note: Tormod's Crypt is really good right now since it hurts other Snappy, goyf, reanimate and Delve plans without effecting you + its fun with swift :yes:
Last edited by magicdownunder on Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:18 pm

Cruise > Dig here??

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Cruise > Dig here??
If you are going to Dig for 2 bolts, why not Cruise for 3 bolts :sherlock:

In all seriousness, Dig is twice as expensive, and thus harder to splash. Just because you can get double blue easy, doesn't mean it won't cost 2/3 life for the privilege. It's not quite as enticing when it draws them a shock/bolt and casts it on you.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:44 pm

Dig is better when you need selection. Cruise is better when your cards all do the same thing and you want more of them. Therefore, Cruise is much better for decks like this.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)

vieko
Newcomer

Postby vieko » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:55 pm

I did some nasty things to people with this deck last night:

[deck]One-Eyed Swift Kiln Burn[/deck]
20 Land
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Arid Mesa
2 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
7 Mountain

12 Sorcery
4 Treasure Cruise
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt

16 Instant
4 Searing Blaze
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Shard Volley
4 Skullcrack

12 Creature
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Nivix Cyclops
4 Kiln Fiend

Sideboard
4 Destructive Revelry
3 Tormod’s Crypt
2 Dragon’s Claw
2 Searing Blood

[/deck]

Hope it helps and thanks for the thoughts / ideas / notes everyone!
—Jaya Ballard, task mage

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:18 am

I'm not a huge fan of Kiln/clop in Modern (aka the removal format) but if you really want to run it I highly recommend cutting SC for pillar of flame since it will deal with annoying blockers and I also suggest running cheap counters somewhere in your 75, I honestly believe Kiln/Clop is better in a Delver Shell rather then a burn shell but if it works in your meta keep with it.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:58 pm

Khaos, why do you side out all the Eidolons vs creature decks? I keep at least two and stick them when my opponent’s at <10 life and out of guys.
It's because that most opponents can and will wall up with critters to keep your Eidolon from attacking. When that happens, you're hurting yourself trying to keep your opponent from achieving a critical mass of guys to kill you. Maybe it's just the way I approach the creature matchup, but I firmly believe that against creature decks YOU are the control player. The 3 creature matchups that you must fear are Merfolk, Pod, and Affinity. All of them are capable of embarrassing you with your Eidolon, so you must adapt in Games 2 and 3 by switching roles. Take the Eidolons out and bring in cards that can take care of their creatures or else you'll be overrun if you don't get your 7-Bolt-draw.

This also applies to the Burn mirror on the draw.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:18 pm

I went 3-1 in the Modern DE with the for mention Rug list.

Here are my changes:

I've decided to cut Monastery Swiftspear for Vexing Devil because the mirror was a NIGHTMARE (I prefer Swiftspear on the defense and against spot removals.decks, but I'll take the hit for mirrors) and I'm going to run the 21st land over the 4th Treasure Cruise since I found casting the 2nd and 3rd TC rather difficult/pointless - I'll still keep the 4th TC in the SB though when I take up the control role thus here is the current list:

[deck=MDU's Burn on a Boat]Land 21
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Bloodstained Mire
2 Steam Vents
8 Mountain
1 Stomping Ground

Creatures 12
4 Goblin Guide
4 Vexing Devil

Spells 27
3 Treasure Cruise
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
4 Shard Volley
4 Searing Blaze
4 Skullcrack

Sideboard 15
4 Destructive Revelry
4 Dragon's Claw
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Searing Blood
2 Tormod's Crypt
1 Treasure Cruise[/deck]

In regards with Revel vs Creature decks, I generally agree with Khaos except I like revel in the mirror and delver MUs.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:46 pm

Revel is good in the mirror, but I just don't like it when I'm on the draw. And as for Delver, I probably should've noted an exception there. I love Revel in that MU since he'll always trade with one of their guys and almost every spell in the deck will trigger the shock ability.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:57 pm

[deck]Ru Burn[/deck]

Thinking it over, if the burn deck hitting 5+ lands something is going really wrong - thus what is stopping us from running 12+ fetches?

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:02 pm

[deck]Ru Burn[/deck]

Thinking it over, if the burn deck hitting 5+ lands something is going really wrong - thus what is stopping us from running 12+ fetches?
If you're running 21 land, then you should definitely be running 12 fetches.

3 Scalding Tarn
3 Arid Mesa
3 Wooded Foothills
3 Bloodstained Mire
9 Mountain

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:10 pm

MDU, you posting any YouTube vids with this deck?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:18 pm

None, though I'll be less busy after next Friday so hopefully I'll do so then.

I think Burn is T1 now with Eidolon and Treasure Cruise, I hope Delver keeps up since they can keep Aura in check (I think both decks fold to Soul Sisters??).

@Khaos:
I'll recommend this for the budget fellers:
4 Arid Mesa
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Bloodstained Mire

No point in buying Scalding Tarn for burn since you'll most likely NEVER fetch pure island, I'm on Scalding Tarns simply because I've own them since way-back.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:50 am

Back to my RWU Burn deck, I am having to make a few decisions about changes. With the massive surge in Ascendency, I am wondering if it is appropriate for me to remove the YPs and add in Eidolons. Eidolon crushes that match up and YP is either awesome or horrible based on how my opponent reacts.

The second question is Treasure Cruise. Should I even consider it since I run Snapcasters? Do I shave Snaps or Serums for it? Do I add one or two or even more?

Also, please talk me out of playing a single Isochron Scepter (Eye of Sauron version, of course) in my main deck. People whose opinion I actually pay attention to keep telling me to add one to my main as a gotcha card that I can simply side out if my opponent ever sees it. It would likely take the place of a Serum Visions. If I actually get to use it, it takes over games but it is so easy to disrupt. I love the damn card but knock some sense into me about it not being good enough (or not).
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:55 am

Is Pod, Quick Combo or Jund/Junk big in your format Blaklanner? If so don't run the Eye of Sauron.

Treasure Cruise is fine with Snappy but I wouldn't run 4x in a list without Shard Volley.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:58 am

One player, maybe two max of: Pod, Storm, GBx, Affinity. It is a pet card of mine so I need negative reinforcement from time to time, especially when people start suggesting it. I did the same thing with Izzet Charm and Predator Ooze the last few Standard seasons. I am doing it now with Mindswipe, Deflecting Palm, and Ride Down.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:08 am

This is where I would be with Eidolon, one Cruise, and Scepter

[deck]
Creatures
4 Goblin Guide
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Geist of Saint Traft

Spells
3 Serum Visions
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Isochron Scepter
4 Searing Blaze
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Helix
2 Electrolyze
1 Treasure Cruise

Lands
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Island
2 Mountain
1 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Steam Vents

Sideboard
2 Wear // Tear
3 Path to Exile
2 Spellskite
3 Stony Silence
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Molten Rain
[/deck]
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:08 pm

Do most 3-color decks play 8 shocks and 8 fetches?
Sig by NBW.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:04 pm

Quite often but the numbers are tweaked a bit based on color requirements and total land count. My Dega Burn deck ran 8 Fetches and 4 Shocks.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:25 pm

I guess Jund, Pod, UWR control and Junk can get away with playing less shocks because they have duals more suited to the deck, like fastlands or Future Sight lands or manlands (only friendly color), but you can't because you really need to hit red mana early on.
Sig by NBW.

MattT

Postby MattT » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:18 pm

/.../ I believe Treasure Cruise just makes cards like Shard Volley better, /.../
Sorry for cutting your quote there MDU, but for emphazising the message. I find it hard to argue against the synergy between Fetches-Shard-TC. It´s just so very good when a penalty like Shards turn into a gain.

tmac
Newcomer

Postby tmac » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:59 pm

Japanese God of Modern tournament had two Cruise Burn decks in the finals. Game 1, Game 2.

Hajime Nakamura
[deck]
Creatures
4 Goblin Guide
4 Monastery Swiftspear
1 Vexing Devil

Spells
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Shard Volley
4 Skullcrack
3 Searing Blaze
4 Rift Bolt
4 Treasure Cruise

Lands
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Wooded Foothills
6 Mountain
3 Steam Vents
1 Sacred Foundry

Sideboard
4 Searing Blood
4 Dragon’s Claw
3 Wear // Tear
2 Flames of the Blood Hand
2 Stony Silence
[/deck]
Shougo Sunada
[deck]
Creatures
4 Goblin Guide
4 Monastery Swiftspear

Spells
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Shard Volley
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
4 Skullcrack
4 Searing Blaze
4 Boros Charm
3 Treasure Cruise

Lands
3 Arid Mesa
3 Scalding Tarn
3 Wooded Foothills
2 Bloodstained Mire
3 Mountain
3 Sacred Foundry
3 Steam Vents

Sideboard
3 Kor Firewalker
3 Wear // Tear
3 Leyline of Sanctity
2 Combust
2 Molten Rain
2 Geist of Saint Traft
[/deck]
Last edited by tmac on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:01 pm

I kinda like Shougo's deck. Geist, Leyline and Firewalker in the side? That just sounds hilarious.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

Return to “Aggro”