[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:44 pm

I may have attacked for 24 on turn 5 with stoke the flames in hand yesterday.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:59 pm

Against the UW DSphere builds, I'm bringing in 2 Wear//Tear in addition to Banishing LIght, so I'm not super worried about sheep. If they have FSP, oh well. Hopefully I have a Game 3, because I'm not going to plan on facing such a narrow card.

Against the Cleansing builds I'm leaving in 2 Chains or bringing in a Pillar for one of them if I have it (in addition to the BLight). Pillar hits Archangel and Sheep, and they don't get to rebuy them with Planar Cleansing.

Overall, I don't feel it's completely necessary to have cards like FDS or Rakdos Cackler against control. If you make sure to board out some Helices instead of Shocks, you can just out-tempo your opponent like it's your job. I'm done with Flamespeaker because I don't enjoy the playstyle he's suited to.

A matchup I really want to talk about is Jund Planeswalkers. I had an opportunity to test against Ichikawa's list today, and I still don'
t know exactly who's favored in the matchup. Here are the ways I found most of the games played out:

1. I have an insane amount of burn in hand and I murder my opponent right as he's about to do relevant things.
2. My opponent powers out mana dorks and Mind Twists me with Rakdos's Return.
3. I kill everything relevant my opponent plays and apply beats that end with burn.
4. I get overwhelmed by Satyrs and 4/4 trampling elementals, unable to either race with burn or keep relevant permanents off the board.

Boarding against Jund Walkers has been difficult. They run almost no creatures, but Courser is their best card against us, which creates an awkward tension. There are also almost no cards in the SB that you want against this deck. Banishing Light is obvious, but outside of that there's nothing obvious or insane. It also doesn't help that it feels like you want to be playing r/spikes burn, because it leads to easy and oppressive wins. The trouble is I don't think that plan is reliable,
but you still want access to it, which makes it difficult to figure out exactly what you want to do when boarding. However, after testing, and after giving things some thought, I think I know what I want to do. I really just want to deal with their opening hand and force them to stumble long enough to get them in burn range and close out the game.

When the pieces come together for Walkers, it shits out synergy and value and can always find what it needs, but when you take out their beloved Courser, they start praying to the top of their deck. Courser is not their best card against us just because of the lifegain, but because it lets them do away with dead draws and find the cards they need to turn up the pressure. Therefore, I think I want at least 3 Chained to the Rocks post-board so that I will almost always have an answer for Courser the turn it comes down, while still being able to generate tempo.

I also think I want Chandra, as YP$ is absolutely abysmal in the matchup. It can almost never
swing cleanly, getting walled by Caryatid, Elvish Mystic, leftover dudes from Walkers, and Courser. It also just gets embarassed by Golgari Charm. Bringing Chandra in gives me more permanent threats.

In fact, not having many creatures can be a real problem in this matchup, and it makes me wonder if I want Boros Reckoner (which is currently in my SB). It will at worst eat Caryatids and most of the time be 3/3 unblockable. The only reason I didn't board it in during testing was because of the high density of removal in the Jund Walkers deck. However, lots of that gets removed in post-board games so Reckoner might be pretty stellar.

Overall I think we're mildly favored, but it's close. We have some draws they almost just can't beat, but Rakdos's Return trumps everything. They can and will eat your entire hand on Turn 4 or 5. Sometimes I just draw a mediocre hand and I can't keep up with the huge value generated by their Planeswalkers. It's crucial that we maintain tempo, because letting a
Planeswalker generate value for one turn too many can be game over.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:34 pm

That sounds about right although I think I prefer mortars over chain if you're trying to deal with courser because it has a better upside with overload and can't be counterspelled with charm/decay/Vraska.

I like to be in a position where I can ignore any planeswalker other than Xenagos and yes, this is the one deck where I definitely want to point as much upward as possible. I particularly want to ignore enemy Chandra's.

Magma spray and ooze are the most scary from the sideboard.

I was a bit concerned about bringing in Chandra myself due to the haste effects and dreadbore that they have but you might be right. I tried running as little permanents as possible.

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:44 pm

The point is that Chains doesn't care whether they bring Sheep, Fiendslayer or Archangel or Dirty Swine The Ever Blocking Wall. It just gets rid of WHATEVER creature they bring in. And yes there are still control players that have no creatures SB but they are few and far between.
MTGO handle: Clemens268

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:45 pm

I think I agree with the mortars being better. Being able to stabilize through Nissa tramplers is a big deal as is dodging enchantment hate.

Magma Spray is certainly a beating, which makes me like Reckoner more. They cut their terror effects for magma sprays and things that are less dead, which leaves them in an awkward place against Reckoner.

I'm also worried about Chandra for the same reasons, but I think it's probably better than a YP$.

On ignoring planeswalkers, yes I would love to do that, but I think it's probably correct to fight the first wave and ignore the rest once you have a significant advantage. Otherwise it's just too close and draws lining up poorly can mean their early planeswalkers that have been generating value from 3/4 onward become unmanageable. Chandra also falls into this category, and she might even be the scariest walker of them all. She draws the opponent into action and is
another reason why YP$ sucks here. On top of that she starts at 5 loyalty, although she almost never ticks up after the turn she's playerd.
Last edited by BrainsickHater on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:48 pm

I have actually started cutting YP against Jund Walkers. Seems to be the way to go.
DCI Rules Advisor
MTGO/Cockatrice: BlakLanner
My YouTube Channel
BlakLanner is the boogeyman created to scare the little Standard players.
Currently Playing
Standard: [mana]RWU[/mana]Jeskai
Modern: [mana]RWG[/mana]Burn, [mana]GRWUR[/mana]Slivers
Legacy: [mana]R[/mana]Burn
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)
Current decklists are posted here

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:52 pm

I have actually started cutting YP against Jund Walkers. Seems to be the way to go.
I agree. My only issue is finding enough cards to put back in. There are so many cards I don't want.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:04 pm

Last Time:3g846l1c
[b:3g846l1c]Quick update about my videos:[/b:3g846l1c]

As some may know I recently lost all my data (including 1.5 weeks worth of footage) so all those DEs I ran with HK (4 of them 3-1, 4-0x3 are gone) and my Modern games (it maybe a hidden blessing since I just ran the [url=viewtopic.php?p=247031#p247031:3g846l1c]same list[/url:3g846l1c] in every MU).

Anyhow since these next three weeks are rather busy I won't be able too play too much magic (though I'll still be online trying too sell slightly overpriced but convenient boosters) I'll be only running 8-Mans with standard whenever I have time.

Here is the first set running a slightly edited version of [url=http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdat ... 6:3g846l1c]William Yowell list[/url:3g846l1c]

[b:3g846l1c][uc]SE Report 7343716[/u:3g846l1c][/b:3g846l1c]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHsuh_c ... g:3g846l1c]G1 Mirror SE 7343716[/url:3g846l1c]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJYlKl1 ... g:3g846l1c]G2 Bg Devo vs YOLO SE 7343716[/url:3g846l1c]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iInQW ... g:3g846l1c]G3 Mirror SE 7343716[/url:3g846l1c] <-- DtR Lurker

I didn't run the list for long since I really dislike [card:3g846l1c]Eidolon of the Great Revel[/card:3g846l1c] in this metagame and not running Shock just feels so very wrong.

[b:3g846l1c]Rw Burn SE Report 7347431 [/b:3g846l1c]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy5piDR ... g:3g846l1c]G1 Jund Walkers vs Rw Burn SE 7347431[/url:3g846l1c]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mr50rI ... g:3g846l1c]G2 Ensoul Blue
vs Rw Burn SE 7347431[/url:3g846l1c]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpqv08W ... g:3g846l1c]G3 BW Midrange vs Rw Burn SE 7347431[/url:3g846l1c]

Playing:

[deck=MDU's Greedy Rw Burn]Lands 22
2 Battlefield Forge
8 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Temple of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments 04
4 Chained to the Rocks

Burns 26
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
4 Satyr Firedancer
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Searing Blood
2 Wear // Tear
1 Banishing Light
1 Pillar of Light [/deck]

The cards which I count as flex are:
4 Firedrinker Satyr
1 Wear // Tear

The deck itself is just being greedy via Scry, with the Dancer + Blood plan in the SB for the annoying G and U heavy online metagame.

(EDITED THE LIST - Cheers Blak)[/spoiler:3g846l1c]

[b:3g846l1c]Standard
SE Report 7348004[/b:3g846l1c]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H5wCbg ... g:3g846l1c]G1 AiR vs Rw Burn SE 7348004[/url:3g846l1c]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWph9fU ... g:3g846l1c]G2 Jund Walkers vs Rw Burn SE 7348004[/url:3g846l1c]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLGWd1o ... g:3g846l1c]G3 BW Control vs Rw Burn SE 7348004[/url:3g846l1c]

You shouldn't be having any issues with Jund Walkers if you identify them (just play online you face them at least once every event) - I even fought a version with 4x RR :sweat:

The thing is - Jund Walkers run so many dead cards against us that its rather realistic too burn over the top esp. if your topping 4 damage spells (which is likely if your running 10-12 of them).

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:09 pm

I agree. My only issue is finding enough cards to put back in. There are so many cards I don't want.
-4 YP, -1 Chain, -1 Shock, +4 Toil/Trouble, +2 Chandra
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:10 pm

Yeah, that's a deck that sends susceptible to player removal. Just kill them.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:19 pm

@BrainsickHater: I recommend the 4th Mutavault since that card is solid vs UW control which I expect will be out in force, I also wanted to say BW (control or midrange) are actually rather well tuned in delaying us since they tend too run 8 or more discards spells which is quite brutal against 4cc spells.
Hey MDU, you posted this a while ago, and I didn't think about it much. Now I'm trying to understand it, and I don't quite get why mutavault is good against BW.

Hitting land drops lets us use all the cards in our hand and make their discard worse?

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:26 pm

My exact board plan was -4 chain/yp for 3 mortar, 2 chandra, 2 banish, and 1 pillar. Should have been a second pillar and 2 mortar in hindsight because he was on reaper and I'm sure Ichikawa's brings in some number of Mistcutter.

If you run Trouble, you should put it in here. You can use that to cut either removal, going full hostile, or cut the phoenixes and fully next level them so almost all of their cards does durdly nothing goodness, allowing you to ignore Chandra even easier.

For reference, here's the game I played. This is why I feel you can ignore Chandra but not Xenagos.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:30 pm

I don't like cutting shock in this matchup any more than I do vs UW. [mana]R[/mana]: Counter target phoenix removal is way too powerful when you already know all your other burn is going upstairs.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:35 pm

@BrainsickHater: I recommend the 4th Mutavault since that card is solid vs UW control which I expect will be out in force, I also wanted to say BW (control or midrange) are actually rather well tuned in delaying us since they tend too run 8 or more discards spells which is quite brutal against 4cc spells.
Hey MDU, you posted this a while ago, and I didn't think about it much. Now I'm trying to understand it, and I don't quite get why mutavault is good against BW.

Hitting land drops lets us use all the cards in our hand and make their discard worse?
nThat is my literacy skills failing me again :/ I just wanted to say Mutavault is good vs UW control, that part about BW was just me refuting your argument that BW can't stop us from racing a win from them (which is why depending on the opening few turns, you'll sometimes need to kill creatures and grindout).

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:22 am

Searing blood is actually really pretty good against walkers. About the only deck where you want to both stall and race at the same time. Or it removes two permanents at the same time which is really really good.

I don't think you need it though with a traditional sideboard.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:28 am

Searing blood is actually really pretty good against walkers. About the only deck where you want to both stall and race at the same time.
Yep :) I've been boarding them in, its hilarious.

The "new archetypes" Rabble Red and Junk Walkers are great MUs for us so it increases our free-win rates :yes: - I personally also enjoy the 6+ sweepers control as well, shame its not as common online (I imagine its harder to multi-queue with).

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:40 am

Yeah SB is sweet against them.

@Elricity
After seeing the game where you decided to ignore Chandra, I agree you can ignore Chandra when you're plan is to send everything at the face, while you can't ignore Xenagos because he kills you too fast. But if my plan is to keep him off anything relevant while applying beats then I want to kill Chandra to keep him from drawing into gas. I think that both plans are viable and which one is applied is dictated by your draw.

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:26 am

Another article about the PT decks... don't agree with what they said about the burn deck at all.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=11968

"Boros Burn is also relatively straightforward compared to most decks in Standard, and while it can change roles between control and aggro, it's most often a combo deck assembling burn spells. By having a clear proactive plan that was easy to execute, Matt ensured he had less decisions per game..."

:/

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:12 am

Yeah SB is sweet against them.

@Elricity
After seeing the game where you decided to ignore Chandra, I agree you can ignore Chandra when you're plan is to send everything at the face, while you can't ignore Xenagos because he kills you too fast. But if my plan is to keep him off anything relevant while applying beats then I want to kill Chandra to keep him from drawing into gas. I think that both plans are viable and which one is applied is dictated by your draw.
Fully agreed. It depends entirely on the contents of your hand. I watched one of MDU's games where he was forced to grind through a Xenagos, Chandra, and Vraska because of the the two chains in his hand.

Rhyno

Postby Rhyno » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:31 am

Another article about the PT decks... don't agree with what they said about the burn deck at all.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=11968

"Boros Burn is also relatively straightforward compared to most decks in Standard, and while it can change roles between control and aggro, it's most often a combo deck assembling burn spells. By having a clear proactive plan that was easy to execute, Matt ensured he had less decisions per game..."

:/
AKA "I don't know what to say about this deck so I'm going to use a bunch of vague
adjectives"

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:33 am

Wow... what happened? Look at the current online metagame its crazy :)

Anyhow first game online in ages and bang Aggro (G1 GW), Aggro (G2 Rabble Red), Aggro (G3 Rabble Red) which is just wonderful for free-wins :yes:

Here is the deck update:

2 Battlefield Forge
8 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Temple of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments 04
4 Chained to the Rocks

Burns 26
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
4 Satyr Firedancer
3 Toil // Trouble
Searing Blood
1 Temple of Malice
1 Glare of Heresy
1 Wear // Tear
1 Banishing Light
1 Pillar of Light[/deck]

Metagame shifted back into small aggro so I shifted my SB back into spells (so I don't get blown out via Drown or maybe Anger) - I picked Temple of Malice over Mutavault because the draws can get rather awkward postboard when I take on the control role so knowing my options really helps (also provide protection from PE :D).

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:42 am

a vision too removed to mention
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:53 pm

Based on that, looks like it's time to pull out hushwing. It's still great against blue but probably not necessary (and I never play against it), medicore and really too slow against any of the BTE/denizen or BTE/Fanatic decks where I don't need help, and meh vs BW with a downside of possibly being stripped by LBZ.

Probably time to put a couple trouble back in the sideboard as extra assistance vs UW and Jund Walkers (which doesn't need it). Or glare, I suppose, since it's hitting a lot of the matchups right now.

Whole

Postby Whole » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:45 pm

MDU why are you running Firedancer over something like Mizzium Mortars? I don't see the benefit asides from interaction with Searing Blood, but I don't think those matchups need that much help.

@Elricity, yea I've never been super impressed with Hushwing. It's a good option to have if the meta calls for it, but I don't think it's worth it as a 1 of right now. I was most excited because it had upside versus Gary/Obzedat/Master while acting like a Phoenix during combat (2 power flier). But after playing it a few times versus black decks, I realize how relevant the buyback clause on Phoenix is. If I EOT the Gryff just to get some action on board and they kill it, I actually feel behind even though they just 1-for-1'd me. And any random flier from Mono Blue just trades with it. It's pretty good versus Green Devotion on Nylea's Disciple, but that's narrow.
excerpt from my t8 profile:

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:50 pm

Hushwing still shits all over mono blue and green devotion since it turns off around 12 cards after they sideboard with little hope of removing it. Against mono blue, I'm ok just considering it a global enchantment while I faceroll through the rest of the match. The problem is that neither are a serious part of any metagame at this point for it to matter.

It's ok as skullcrack 5-6 against black but I'm personally taking the control route and not using it. I'm currently undefeated with that strategy so I'm sticking with it. It stops sin collector, lifebane, and obzedat from BW and its interaction with lifebane ranges from "meh, you can't look at my hand" to "I got zom-boned". I'd rather go flamespeaker here since they are a lot more prone to durdle than mono black. Also, pillar is hilarious here.

Glare seems pretty solid with all this GW and creature from UW talk I keep hearing. And I guess it
hits reckoner if that's ever an issue.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:17 am

If I go to an SCG Open I would certainly expect green and blue devotion.

I have lost a lot of games playing the control role against MB and have lost less than 5 since I switched back to beats. I seriously don't understand how it works for anyone.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:19 am

How are you playing the control role? I've got 3 matches recorded where I'm doing it.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:24 am

If I go to an SCG Open I would certainly expect green and blue devotion.

I have lost a lot of games playing the control role against MB and have lost less than 5 since I switched back to beats. I seriously don't understand how it works for anyone.
I'm a more powerful wizard, obviously.

Seriously, I find it very easy, it's probably just a preference and a difference situational analysis.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:55 am

MDU why are you running Firedancer over something like Mizzium Mortars? I don't see the benefit asides from interaction with Searing Blood, but I don't think those matchups need that much help.
MM is better then Dancer in more MUs (Red, Monster, BW, ETC... ETC...), I'm just running them because I'm having problems beating some G and U devotion hands so its meta-thing.

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:35 am

Do you guys think flames of the firebrand is too slow vs these rabble decks? I'm considering bringing it back in because I'm seeing more NVS from mbd and it seems pretty sweet vs agro...

pikachufan2164
Newcomer

Postby pikachufan2164 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:47 am

Do you guys think flames of the firebrand is too slow vs these rabble decks? I'm considering bringing it back in because I'm seeing more NVS from mbd and it seems pretty sweet vs agro...
Since Rabblemaster Red runs more X/1's, Flames of the Firebrand nets you even more potential value than before. Even on the draw, if you can curve into a 2-for-1 on turn 3, that puts you at a huge advantage when you're in the control role. Yes, you might have to take a few damage early, but the card advantage gained from playing Flames in this matchup is well worth it.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:59 am

I think the card is too slow and too narrow. I don't ever want to be casting it against MB, and it doesn't really do THAT much for you against RabbleRed. It doesn't really keep you from getting overwhelmed by triple one-drop openers and tapping out just lets them go full ham with pump effects to end you.

Rhyno

Postby Rhyno » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:01 am

If you want Flames in, what are you cutting that is significantly worse?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:52 am

I love FotF so I say go for it (I ran it myself until RDW disappeared) - your best cuts would be 1x Shock and MM/Stoke or 1x Chains and MM/Stoke, since Aggro is back we should see NVS return so it does make sense :yes:.
Last Time
Quick update about my videos:

As some may know I recently lost all my data (including 1.5 weeks worth of footage) so all those DEs I ran with HK (4 of them 3-1, 4-0x3 are gone) and my
Modern games (it maybe a hidden blessing since I just ran the same list in every MU).

Anyhow since these next three weeks are rather busy I won't be able too play too much magic (though I'll still be online trying too sell slightly overpriced but convenient boosters) I'll be only running 8-Mans with standard whenever I have time.

Here is the first set running a slightly edited version of William Yowell list

SE Report 7343716
G1 Mirror SE 7343716
G2 Bg Devo vs YOLO SE 7343716

G3 Mirror SE 7343716 <-- DtR Lurker

I didn't run the list for long since I really dislike Eidolon of the Great Revel in this metagame and not running Shock just feels so very wrong.

Rw Burn SE Report 7347431
G1 Jund Walkers vs Rw Burn SE 7347431
G2 Ensoul Blue vs Rw Burn SE 7347431
G3 BW Midrange vs Rw Burn SE 7347431

Playing:

2 Battlefield Forge
8 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Temple
of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments 04
4 Chained to the Rocks

Burns 26
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
4 Satyr Firedancer
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Searing Blood
2 Wear // Tear
1 Banishing Light
1 Pillar of Light [/deck]

The cards which I count as flex are:
4 Firedrinker Satyr
1 Wear // Tear

The deck itself is just being greedy via Scry, with the Dancer + Blood plan in the SB for the annoying G and U heavy online metagame.

(EDITED THE LIST - Cheers Blak)

Standard SE Report 7348004
G1 AiR vs Rw Burn SE 7348004
G2 Jund Walkers vs Rw Burn SE 7348004
[url=https://www&#
46;youtube.com/watch?v=gLGWd1oS6yY&list=UUOED7KvwLH_yozWSu-QWADg]G3 BW Control vs Rw Burn SE 7348004[/url]

You shouldn't be having any issues with Jund Walkers if you identify them (just play online you face them at least once every event) - I even fought a version with 4x RR :sweat:

The thing is - Jund Walkers run so many dead cards against us that its rather realistic too burn over the top esp. if your topping 4 damage spells (which is likely if your running 10-12 of them).

2 Battlefield Forge
8 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Temple of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments 04
4 Chained to the Rocks

Burns 26
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
n4 Satyr Firedancer
3 Toil // Trouble
3 Searing Blood
1 Temple of Malice
1 Glare of Heresy
1 Wear // Tear
1 Banishing Light
1 Pillar of Light[/deck]

Metagame shifted back into small aggro so I shifted my SB back into spells (so I don't get blown out via Drown or maybe Anger) - I picked Temple of Malice over Mutavault because the draws can get rather awkward postboard when I take on the control role so knowing my options really helps (also provide protection from PE :D).
Standard SE Report 7355357
G1 GW vs Rw Burn Standard SE 7355357
G2 Rabble Red vs Rw Burn Standard SE 7355357
[url=https://www.youtube.
com/watch?v=r5HgDULq_Tc&list=UUOED7KvwLH_yozWSu-QWADg]G3 Rabble Red vs Rw Burn Standard SE 7355357[/url]

Tomorrow videos with be G1 Naya token (he rages :rofl:), G2 BW Control and G3 BW Control (I finally drop a round in this MU so I got to test my YOLO plan).
Last edited by magicdownunder on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:02 am

How come you get to have all the fun and I'm all mono black and GBx all damn day?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:05 am

How come you get to have all the fun and I'm all mono black and GBx all damn day?
:rofl: while I admit I got many many byes - I'll much rather face B Devo and BG over BW (I'll rather play UW then BW T_T).

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:27 am

Are you really getting along that well with 22 lands? I have gone to 24 and cut the Magma Jets. I think I am going to shave to 23 since I am flooding out much more often.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:34 am

Its greedy not gonna lie, it has been working rather well for me so far and it comforting to know that RDW has been running 21-22 lands with 4cc creatures for months now with 4x Fanatic of Mogis and zero scry while still scoring well in premiums and DEs.

That said, moving the 4th chain to the SB and the Temple of Malice MD would just be peachy as well (actually think I will do that for my next video) ;-)

Nibiru
Newcomer

Postby Nibiru » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:19 pm

Hey guys, I think this is my first time posting.. Not sure. Anyways, I had an idea I wanted to share and get feedback on. I'm at work so I can't be super thorough. Im just wondering if this passes the idiot test.

How do you guys feel about splashing blue for Supreme Verdict? I'm thinking it would be a 3 of, taking the place of 1 of 4 Chains, stoke the flames ( which I run a 1 of) and shock. Perhaps doing this lets us run a more aggro variant Sideboard. The casting cost is UWW1, so the blue is easy to hit. We never use the spell until mid game, so we won't get "screwed" turns 1 - 5 if we don't have it. To fix the manabase, I propose going R/U scry in place of our R/B & W/B scry, and then 2x W/U scry lands in place of 2 mutavaults. If we are dumping all our mutavaults, we might add in another duel land, im not sure.

So, opinions? Improvements on what to side in and out? I know I should post a decklist
to clarify things but I just quickly typed this thing out while at work

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:23 pm

I would advise against adding blue to the deck. It makes us less consistent and Verdict can hurt us just as much as it can hurt our enemies. If you want to run a sweeper, look into using Anger of the Gods or Mizzium Mortars. That gives us some added protection against the swarm decks while keeping our mana base intact.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

Return to “Archives”