[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Kaitscralt » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:27 pm

I would be surprised if chain veil sees play anyway.
it's shit
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

mutantcrock
Newcomer

Postby mutantcrock » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:29 pm

I would leave them in. It is another durable threat. Also, what would you be bringing in? In my list, the only thing that would come in would be Chandra and maybe Wear/Tear if they are still on an Eidolon plan.
I was trying -4YP$, -1 Mortars, -1 Shock, +3 Flamespeaker, +2 Chandra, +1 Wear.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 pm

I would rather have YP$ than chandras pheonix.

yurp yurp

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:37 pm

-4 Phoenix -1 MM +3 Flamspeaker +2 Chandra, and pray.

yurp yurp

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Oh right, you guys are still on Flamespeaker. That makes more sense now.
DCI Rules Advisor
MTGO/Cockatrice: BlakLanner
My YouTube Channel
BlakLanner is the boogeyman created to scare the little Standard players.
Currently Playing
Standard: [mana]RWU[/mana]Jeskai
Modern: [mana]RWG[/mana]Burn, [mana]GRWUR[/mana]Slivers
Legacy: [mana]R[/mana]Burn
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)
Current decklists are posted here

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:15 pm

Is it correct to drop YP$ in the mirror? My thoughts are he basically reads 1/1 for 2 mana in the mirror, I still see a lot searing blood, and he and his tokens are weak to Chandra. At the same time, he is a must deal with threat that will divert burn from the face. I like Phoenix because it forces them to have the chained but it does seem like somewhat of a tempo loss to cast him sometimes.

What are you guys doing in the mirror?
He's a 1/1 + discard a card for 2 mana in the mirror. That's fine. If you play him on T5 or later, he's literally game-ending.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:59 pm

Unless the burn mirror is on searing blood, YP is better than phoenix. It's too easy to force your opponent to sorcery speed durdle if he's trying to hit you with phoenixes that can be answered at cheaper cost. Plus having an actual mana curve by having flamespeaker into YP plus skullcrack.

This is one of those matchups where Trouble on the play is amazing.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 pm

I like YP with Boros Charm for indestructible, that ends most games instantly.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:51 am

I like YP with Boros Charm for indestructible, that ends most games instantly.
This is pretty much my favorite play against any agro deck, they never seem to see it coming. I'm always a little worried I'll get blown out, but like 90% of the time its fine and works great

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:12 am

Then they pick up all their cards and put them in the GY.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

rage_jl
Newcomer

Postby rage_jl » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:19 pm

You guys were talking about MDU's playstyle, if you notice in his videos there is usually a point where he starts to count the damage in his hand and he more or less ignores his opponent's board state. This is really dependent on where the game is at that point and what he is playing against but that is something that is important to focus upon when playing this deck, even in the control role. I try to find this pivot point every game I play and most games I lose because of me is because I did this wrong.

There are several decks you really have no option but to try to kill them before they come on line with a little disruption here and there and that includes most decks with multiple planeswalkers and I haven't played against it yet but green devotion would fall under this category as well (theorycrafting). They have a good chance of out topdecking us and then we are left cursing our decks for not giving us a chains
or B-Light when needed.

Wear//Tear kills Coursers as well, if they are on a Naya plan with B-Lights or Chains this isn't a horrible card to bring in.

I like Gryff against UW control, it doesn't blank anything for them but since most sideboards are light on effective cards against control I like dropping creatures at the end of their turn. It isn't completely castrated by Jace either. I've only done this in one match but it worked well in that case, I think it needs more theorycrafting/testing.

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:28 pm

None of our cards are "castrated" by Jace. We usually have one 2-power card on the battlefield at a time, so if Hushwing isn't castrated, then nothing is.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:31 pm

There are several decks you really have no option but to try to kill them before they come on line with a little disruption here and there and that includes most decks with multiple planeswalkers and I haven't played against it yet but green devotion would fall under this category as well (theorycrafting). They have a good chance of out topdecking us and then we are left cursing our decks for not giving us a chains or B-Light when needed.
You most definitely can and should be controlling green devotion. We have way too many answers and enough card draw to care about their topdecks. Against the planeswalker decks, landing a reckoner or two lets you play an aggro control type game and sometimes YP lets you do the same if you're lucky.

I'm not
paying 3 for a 1/1 against UW that doesn't interact with either our deck or theirs.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:29 pm

Fuck Naya Hexproof.

That is all.
Burn baby burn!

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:36 pm

If I do another SCG tournament, I will probably have to board a playset of reckoner for that match. There were 4 out of 50 at the last and the decks were silly enough that they didn't hate out hexproof.

rage_jl
Newcomer

Postby rage_jl » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:43 pm

I was theorycrafting with G devotion, I think you pivot to kill mode in that matchup earlier than others (like you do against R/G or Jund Monsters); I don't have experience with the new build so I can't say definitely one way or another. I do know with the older version running Garruk at the top it was easy to run out of options to exile or kill the big guys once they started coming out past turn 6 or so; I didn't consider it a particularly dangerous match but I did think I had to kill them before they started dropping 5+ toughness creatures quicker than I could draw exile effects. "Disruption here and there" would include slowing them down at the beginning of the game and chaining the first fatty or two.

Tokens and Flamespeaker are both minimized (or castrated) by Jace. I personally like dropping a threat at the end of their turn, allows more forcing them to play on your terms rather than theirs.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:08 am

I was theorycrafting with G devotion
I understand, you stated that before. However, I'm not theorycrafting because I played at least 20 matches against it. You should not race this deck if your sideboard can control it. It's not jund monsters. They don't run enough lands to cast their big spells on time if you delay their ramp and Garruk is their only card advantage.

Normally, I don't hardline this sort of thing but I'm doing it here. You have as much a chance of racing G devotion as you do racing Boss Red.
Tokens and Flamespeaker are both minimized (or castrated) by Jace. I personally like dropping a threat at the end of their turn, allows more forcing them to play on your terms rather than theirs.
nHaving played the control end, playing a 1/1 isn't forcing them to do anything. I assure you, they'll just look at it as you discarding a card.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:11 pm

I got my ass handed to me last night by some filthy mono blue Ensoul Artifact deck. :gonk:
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:22 pm

I got my ass handed to me last night by some filthy mono blue Ensoul Artifact deck. :gonk:
:whoptc: is a Mono Blue Ensoul Artifact deck?

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:30 pm

Finally people are catching on that Ensoul is the most powerful part of those shitty Scuttling Doom Engine decks and the Shrapnel Blast/Doom Engine should be scrapped.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:33 pm

Ornithopters, Springleaf Drums, some crazy 3 cost 4/4 flier, Citadels, Doom Engine, and Ensoul Artifact. Turn 2 5/5s are tough. Another one on Turn 3 is tougher....
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Yeah, I got blown out. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:45 pm

Rage, tokens are not cards! Remember, Jace doesn't make YP$ bad, it's the other way around.

Jolly Roger
Newcomer

Postby Jolly Roger » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:00 pm

[deck]Lands 23
8 Mountain
3 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Mutavault
3 Battlefield Forge
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence
1 Boros Guildgate

Creatures 08
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Burn and Other 29
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
4 Shock
1 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard
2 Assemble the Legion
2 Banishing Light
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Hushwing Gryff
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Pillar of Light
1 Stoke the Flames
2 Toil // Trouble
[/deck]

Went to FNM at LGS, went 2-3.
Match 1: vs RB Minotaur Tribal deck
Lost game 1, got wrapped up into minimizing the threat vs burning his face. SB: -4 skullcrack; +2 Banishing Light, +1 Hushwing Gryff, +1 Stoke the Flames. Won next 2.

Match 2: vs MBC (I think) all I saw was PackRat.
Won game 1 with ease. SB: -4 skullcrack, -1 Chandra's Pheonix, -1 Boros Charm, -1 Stoke
the Flames, +2 Chandra, +2 Assemble the Legion, +2 Banishing Light, +1 Pillar of Light. Won game 2

Match 3: vs MUD
Lost game 1 to Master and a Hall of Triumph. SB: -4 skullcrack, +1 Hushwing Gryff, +1 Pillar of Light, +2 Banishing Light. Hushwing was great but stalled out at end of game needed 1 burn topdeck, wasn't there. Lost Game 2.

Match 4: vs Superfriends (or whatever a deck with Ajani, Elspeth, and Liliana)
I have to completely admit, I screwed up big time in this match-up. I was so worried about Ajani getting +100 life and every turn he dropped another Planeswalker. (Liliana first to make me discard, then Elspeth to drop tokens) I wasted most of my burn against them that by the time I had them where I felt they wouldn't ultimate, it was too late. SB: -4 skullcrack, -1 shock, +2 Chandra, +2 Banishing Light, +1 Stoke the Flames. Game 2 got screwed by mana. Had 3 land for most of game(mutavault, Battlefield Forge, and Temple of Triumph), ended with 2 chained to
the rocks and 2 warleaders helix in hand. No Mountains.

Match 5: vs GW Lifegain
Game 1 was controlled by trostani. SB: -4 shock, -1 Stoke the Flames, +1 Hushwing Gryff, +2 Pillar of Light, +2 Banishing Light. Game 2 started with a Chained and Hushwing Gryff in hand. then got another chained before trostani hit the table. Game 3 he played a bow early, and my Gryff was no help. He had a bubbling cauldron, trading post, and a angelic accord at the end with trostani. Never saw Pillar or Banishing Light.

In the end, my experience with Hushwing Gryff was good but 1 toughness makes it easy prey so need a few more to be really useful. I also found that more often than not I cast Stoke the Flames for 3 (tapped YP$) instead of 4. It might have been I always had a Warleaders Helix in my hand as well.

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:47 pm

So last night this scenario popped up in the top table on round 4 at FNM:

Control player:
6 cards in hand, 8 lands all tapped out. Played D-Sphere on a Phoenix and then a Jace, Memory Adept ( :confused2: ) to mill 10. Life is at 7.

Burn player:
2 cards in hand (one land, one Magma Jet). Five lands, three tapped. No Phoenixes in the graveyard. One 1/1 Elemental token on the field.

It is the control player's turn. And the D-sphere and Jace just happened.

Now the question is, would you go after the Jace or ignore it? It's a rough 4 turn clock now, and the control player has six cards in hand that could be holding tons of counters and a Sphinx or two. What would you risk?

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:18 pm

Sounds like its pretty much already over for the burn player... I would probably ignore the Jace though.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Jet the phoenix, see if you scry up a boros charm, win that turn.

Reason you don't burn him with it is because if you scry up a 3 point burn spell, you're still very in the game with him at 1 and 2 lethal creatures on board instead of just one that can be blanked by a variety of things.

That's assuming you have [mana]RRRW1[/mana]

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:12 pm

Agree w/ Elricity, though the Jet might have gotten countered as he played D-Sphere first, so it's also not risk free. In any case you can still MJ him and win instantly if you scry up a Boros Charm, so the game is certainly not lost for the Burn Player.

EDIT: Elricity, assuming your line of play and assuming you scry up a Skullcrack (for simplicity let's assume the other card is a land that u scry to the bottom) would you actually cast it and put him to 1? I would probably hold it back to disallow Lifegain from revelation and to potentially buy back Phoenix another time.
MTGO handle: Clemens268

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:19 am

Initial testing: I adore Stoke the Flames, having that 9th and 10th four damage spell is huge in those "racing" MUs - I'll need more games but I :love: it so far, didn't really test Hush yet.

I also played against Whole in the first ever SE event which fired for me since v4 happen :/

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Whole

Postby Whole » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:55 am

im still confused as to why i thought i could just race the young pyromancer game 1

edit: just beat uw control from fusing toil//trouble (1 black source in deck, get there)...i also got chandra to 8 and then ulted that game lol. very interesting
excerpt from my t8 profile:

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:55 pm

im still confused as to why i thought i could just race the young pyromancer game 1

edit: just beat uw control from fusing toil//trouble (1 black source in deck, get there)...i also got chandra to 8 and then ulted that game lol. very interesting
Nice attack vs control :smileup:, I found it funny when you LS my face since it gave me a shot at creating 3 tokens.

I ended up 3-1'ing my DE, my only loss was vs control because I punted the M3 (really really hard).

I still think Stoke is amazing, undecided about Hush - I didn't really get any great MUs to test him in (beside Jund - in which case I didn't draw him).

Rhyno

Postby Rhyno » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Playing STD win-a-box events at the GP for funsies. Beat a T1 Cackler T2 3xBTE + Satyr opening thanks to YP and Indestructibility.

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:34 pm

Why do they ALWAYS have 2 or 3 BTE every time...

zenbitz

Postby zenbitz » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:17 pm

No way, the flying men deck? Is it running any interaction at all?
(note that this deck runs 18 lands and no doom engine)

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:35 pm

Played at LGS today and had Hornet Queen welcome me to the real world. Depending on SCG and Pro Tour results I might end up jamming Anger of the Gods in the sideboard.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:36 pm

Nah, just slam the Gryff.
DCI Rules Advisor
MTGO/Cockatrice: BlakLanner
My YouTube Channel
BlakLanner is the boogeyman created to scare the little Standard players.
Currently Playing
Standard: [mana]RWU[/mana]Jeskai
Modern: [mana]RWG[/mana]Burn, [mana]GRWUR[/mana]Slivers
Legacy: [mana]R[/mana]Burn
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)
Current decklists are posted here

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:43 pm

Turns out drawing Gryff when he's relevant is near impossible for me.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:43 pm

And having Anger for the Green Devotion deck would be fine with me (provided I actually expected to see the deck) since the extra help in the matchup is certainly welcome.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:46 pm

Hush hush hush....

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:47 pm

Hush, 'lil Green deck, don't you cry. Boros Burn is gonna make sure fry....

Return to “Archives”