[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Purp
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Purp » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:31 pm

I don't understand what matchups you think it would be good against compared to the other options listed in the most recent posts

edit: if that sounds snarky, that is not my intention.

yurp yurp

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:32 pm

Perhaps just nostagia, bit he was crazy good for me vs control. I felt like I couldn't lose if I had him on turn 3. UW control is the only match up I'm losing, so I'm trying to come up with something to break through.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:42 pm

why don't you like eidolon versus uw
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Honestly if you are playing 4 FDS and 4 Eidolon, its pretty hard to lose that matchup.

I can't help but think its spell sequencing errors. Maybe you keeping slow hand? I tend to aggresively mull for that matchup

yurp yurp

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:06 pm

I'm not playing any of those cards lol.

I was at one point and it still wasn't working out.

I know I'm going deep, but I'm even considering Possibility Storm.

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:14 pm

Too deep!

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:16 pm

caj
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:24 pm

@Elricity
Most of the time you have cards that deal with the other threats. Reprisal deals with things that the deck otherwise can't. Personally, I'm running them because I expect a lot of monsters with the possibility of BW Midrange decks at the tournament I'm attending this weekend. It's the perfect card against Ghor-Clan Rampager which can be a real headache, and it also handles most of the other most problematic fatties.

@Purp
I wouldn't jam YP$ T2 against control if I could jam something else. I wouldn't jam a burn spell on T2 if I could jam a creature.
I've wondered for a while if it's correct to mull hands that contain no two drops, as those games can be pretty difficult to win against control.

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:35 pm

Just watched MDU's latest videos, 2 rounds of burn vs Bx devotion. Are you guys not bringing in eidolon for those matchups? I've felt like it performs fairly well against all bx decks.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:46 pm

I do

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:53 pm

Also, about keening apparition - whats your SB plan for those? I can see bringing them in vs hexproof but idk about most other decks.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:55 pm

You bring them in against Hexproof, Control, Mono-Black Aggro, and certain builds of Naya.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:00 pm

And probably dredge

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:41 pm

I think I'm just going to play MDUs list.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:09 am

@Elricity
Most of the time you have cards that deal with the other threats. Reprisal deals with things that the deck otherwise can't. Personally, I'm running them because I expect a lot of monsters with the possibility of BW Midrange decks at the tournament I'm attending this weekend. It's the perfect card against Ghor-Clan Rampager which can be a real headache, and it also handles most of the other most problematic fatties.

@Purp
I wouldn't jam YP$ T2 against control if I could jam something else. I wouldn't jam a burn spell on T2 if I could jam a creature.
I've wondered for a while if it's correct to mull hands that contain no two drops, as those games can be pretty difficult to win against control.
You have YP$ and
Keening in your hand with the ability to cast both....What are you playing on turn two? You are on the play.

yurp yurp

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:37 am

I want to bring up the topic of Mutavault.

I notice that its mostly Zem and MDU running 3 while most everyone else on DTR is running 4 and 100% of people outside of DTR are running 4.

Mutavault is one of the best cards in standard and great in this deck where repeated sources of damage are very powerful.

Sure it does suck when you have too many but it does come into play untapped which is nice too.

Isn't the power level of Mutavault worth the risk of getting 2 early ???
Burn baby burn!

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:40 am

@Elricity

@Purp
I've wondered for a while if its correct to mull hands that contain no two drops, as those games can be pretty difficult to win against control.
You have YP$ and Keening in your hand with the ability to cast both....What are you playing on turn two? You are on the play.
Depends on the contents of my hand and whether they're UW vs Esper vs Bant etc.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:40 am

Just watched MDU's latest videos, 2 rounds of burn vs Bx devotion. Are you guys not bringing in eidolon for those matchups? I've felt like it performs fairly well against all bx decks.
People sometimes really forget how aggressive Bx Devotion can really be, if for example you kept a removal light hand (this happens because mulling vs Bx devotion is REALLY bad) you drop a Revel and they proceed to follow up with DD and Gary or even more DDs - if you can't deal with the cards they can just easily race you and leave the revel alone.

Revel also doesn't beat Pack Rat either so you can't play a game like this.

Also can someone explain too me why people think Revel is
good vs Dredge? They have some really big and nasty creatures. . .
Mutavault is one of the best cards in standard and great in this deck where repeated sources of damage are very powerful.

Sure it does suck when you have too many but it does come into play untapped which is nice too.

Isn't the power level of Mutavault worth the risk of getting 2 early ???
I've just been testing manabases these last two weeks (I did the try the 4 vaults version as well), I came to the conclusion I prefer running this:

[deck=MDU's Ideal land Base]8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
2 Boros Guildgate
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence[/deck]

More scry equals more decisions which equals more chance too improve the situation.
Last edited by magicdownunder on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:53 am

Drawing two Mutavaults early is SO BAD.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:00 am

Also can someone explain too me why people think Revel is good vs Dredge? They have some really big and nasty creatures. . .
Against dredge you want to shorten the length of the game as much as possible. The more turns they get the more likely their engine will come online and they start churning out fatties we can't deal with and (depending on their life total) can't race. When you slam a T2 Eidolon, it's not going to die because they have zero removal, and all of their Grisly Salvages, Satyr Wayfinders, etc. that they need to play for their deck to do anything start killing them. By the time they play something fat a chained to the rocks will usually buy you enough time to kill them if they're not already dead.

EDIT: That
being said, I don't board Eidolon as dredge hate, it's just incidental. The matchup is pretty easy.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:32 am

Last Time Including Tuesday and Thursday games
[deck=MDU's Rw Burn]Lands 23
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
2 Boros Guildgate
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Exile 03
3 Chained to the Rocks

Burn 26
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Searing Blood

Sideboard 15
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
3 Toil // Trouble
3 Mizzium Mortars
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Banishing Light
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Fated Conflagration
1 Reprisal[/deck]
Link to Basic SB plan

SE Report 7151672
G1 R1 Mirror SE 7151672
[
url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3yNZDXVfo]G1 R2 Mirror SE 7151672[/url]

G2 R1 Bw Devotion vs Rw Burn SE 7151672
G2 R2 Bw Devotion vs Rw Burn SE 7151672

G3 R1 AiR vs Rw Burn SE 7151672
G3 R2 AiR vs Rw Burn SE 7151672

SE Report 7152565
G1 R1 UW Control vs Rw Burn SE 7152565
G1 R2 UW Control vs Rw Burn SE 7152565
G1 R3 UW Control vs Rw Burn SE 7152565[/url:
1azrztqa]

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY8cUgX2o3M]G1 R1 Uw Devotion vs Rw Burn SE 7152565

G1 R2 Uw Devotion vs Rw Burn SE 7152565
G1 R3 Uw Devotion vs Rw Burn SE 7152565

G3 R1 U Devotion vs Rw Burn SE 7152565
G3 R2 U Devotion vs Rw Burn SE 7152565

SE Report 7156299
G1 R1 Jund Monster vs Rw Burn SE 7156299
G1 R2 Jund Monster vs Rw Burn SE 7156299
G1 R3 Jund Monster vs Rw Burn SE 7156299

G1 R1 Naya Monster vs Rw Burn SE 7156299
G1 R2 Naya Monster vs Rw Burn SE 7156299
G1 R3 Naya Monster vs Rw Burn SE 7156299

G3 R1 Mirror HK1997 vs MDU SE 7156299
[url=https://www.youtube.
com/watch?v=sxuwAsn4-nI&list=PLBO2Co_8Gb6zIxGs3g-nnYDy6m7Azu4Ma&index=3]G3 R2 Mirror HK1997 vs MDU SE 7156299[/url]
G3 R3 Mirror HK1997 vs MDU SE 7156299

@HK1997: When you get the chance can you review G3 R2 (from the 5 minute mark mainly)? I feel that I should have lost that game.

SE Split 7155610
G1 R1 Junk vs Rw Burn SE 7155610
G1 R2 Junk vs Rw Burn SE 7155610

G2 R1 BUG Control vs Rw Burn SE 7155610
G2 R2 BUG Control vs Rw Burn SE 7155610[/url:
1azrztqa]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QGHJet_uKI]G2 R3 BUG Control vs Rw Burn SE 7155610

G3 Split

[deck=MDU's Rw Burn for MODOs Monster and Junk Land]Lands 23
9 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
3 Boros Guildgate

Creatures 08
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Exile 03
3 Chained to the Rocks

Burn 26
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Searing Blood

Sideboard 15
3 Eidolon of the Great Revel
3 Toil // Trouble
3 Mizzium Mortars
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Banishing Light
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Fated Conflagration[/deck]

SE Report 7159073
G1 R1 Bx Devotion vs Rw Burn SE 7159073

G2 R1 Bx Devotion vs Rw Burn SE 7159073
G2 R2 Bx Devotion vs Rw Burn SE 7159073

G3 R1 Naya Friends vs Rw Burn SE 7159073
G3 R2 Naya Friends vs Rw Burn SE 7159073
G3 R3 Naya Friends vs Rw Burn SE 7159073 <-- I really like the song here.

I should note that the current list I'm running looks slightly different now, I'm back on my old manabase (the one I posted a page back with 6 scry lands)
, I've cut Eidolon of the Great Revel and reduced the number of Fated Conflagration in favor for 1x Threaten (harness) <-- testing it, the 4th T//T and 2x Keening Apparition <-- these would of been W//T except I wanted something for control.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Whole

Postby Whole » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:48 am

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums, but I've been lurking this thread heavily after upping my game in standard and switching to a competitive deck (used to play G/W aggro). I've been doing really well with Boros Burn online until just recently with the resurgence of Jund Monsters. Here is my list:

[deck]Boros Burn[/deck]

I
recently swapped a Keening Apparition and a Flames of the Firebrand for two Harness by Force. But the matchup is still always 3 damage away from a kill. I'm thinking of perhaps some maindeck tech to combat Jund Monsters. Searing Blood is always getting side boarded out, so I'm thinking of dropping those for something that is just better against Jund (but not dead in other matchups). Currently, Spark Trooper and Fated Conflagartion is on my mind, but would the addition of two 4 drops raise the curve too much? I was also thinking of dropping a Shock and mainboarding Mutavault #4 to compensate. Fated is probably the best option for specifically Jund, but it might be too underwhelming in other matchups, but a maindeck Spark Trooper could catch a lot of decks off guard after they tap out. Those are my thoughts right now...I'm a little frustrated after running into 5 Jund Monsters today (all really close games), so I'm not sure if these are good ideas, but I think I want to make tweaks before I fire up MTGO
again.

edit: Also, my sideboarding plan against them is typically: -4 Boros Charms, -4 Shocks, -1 Young P$, -2 Searing Blood, +2 Harness, +4 Mizzium, +2 Chained, +1 Banishing Light, +2 Keening. Is there anything that can be improved with that?
excerpt from my t8 profile:

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:21 am

Why are you siding out shock, yp$ and searing blood?

-4 boros charm, -4 skullcrack +4 mizzium +1 muta +2 chain +1 BL (-2 searing blood if you want harness)

yurp yurp

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:30 am

I find your sideboarding plans really unique Purp, I'm not saying its wrong because its working for you but its not how I'll approach the MU.

I read really unique ideas like:
W//T vs Mirror and Black <-- (assumed reasoning) hits staff, connection, revel and chains
+1 Vaults vs a green deck which will have walls <-- (assumed reasoning) helps you get 6 lands for overloading which is nice
Cutting of Skullcrack vs disciple, in favor for a more controlling route. <-- (assumed reasoning) not all monster decks are on disciple

@Whole: I should mention that BW now makes up 7% of the winning metagame online ;-) fated is looking extra amazing again.

rage_jl
Newcomer

Postby rage_jl » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:16 am

@Whole I have been trying removing the 2 searing blood for 1 mortar and a 3rd chained main (keeping the 1 banishing there as well) for the monsters match ups. I consider the 9 slots for shock, searing blood, and chained/banishing in the main to be awfully fluid depending upon the current meta. Without toil or eidolon in the sideboard you can probably get away with a 2nd guidgate and go down to 1 mana confluence though that is based on seeing the other lists on here I'm not 100% sure on this by any means; I tend to switch them up every third or fourth event after a set up screws me.

Nezeru
Newcomer

Postby Nezeru » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:02 am

Eidolon maindeck is very, very good (read: game-winning) vs Dredge, postboard they have more annoying creatures (Mistcutter) so with the typical DtR configuration you probably bring them in but they aren't gamebreaking.

Longtoe
Newcomer

Postby Longtoe » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:02 pm

Did well with the shouta list again. 4-0 daily yesterday. I did cut a reprisal and added an addition mizzium mortar. MU included: Junk constellation 2-0, Red white devotion 2-1 (he had the nuts one game that deck is awesome sometimes), Jund Monsters 2-0, and Finals was RW burn mirror 2-0, I got more helix and he didn't play very well. boros reckoner did work for me. Perhaps he isn't as insane as we all thought.
Standard: Red whatever variant is most meta appropriate
Modern: RB burn, infect, Twin, Bots
Legacy: UR delver, belcher

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:16 pm

I find your sideboarding plans really unique Purp, I'm not saying its wrong because its working for you but its not how I'll approach the MU.

I read really unique ideas like:
W//T vs Mirror and Black <-- (assumed reasoning) hits staff, connection, revel and chains
+1 Vaults vs a green deck which will have walls <-- (assumed reasoning) helps you get 6 lands for overloading which is nice
Cutting of Skullcrack vs disciple, in favor for a more controlling route. <-- (assumed reasoning) not all monster decks are on disciple
W//T vs Mirror (Kills eidolon, chained and blind obediance) - I pretty much only brought them in when I knew my opponent was playing Blind Obediance (which I found out a few rounds earlier)
W//T vs Mirror-
Everyone black deck Ran at least 3 Staffs during this event because they knew Burn would be popular. I went 5-1 vs Bx decks at this event.

Vaults vs Green deck - I want to to increase me chances of curving out post board, I also love the t3 play of chaining their courser(assuming I have another for Poly K), and swinging with a muta.

I don't care about Disciple if they don't have any Devotion :p

yurp yurp

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:17 pm

Did well with the shouta list again. 4-0 daily yesterday. I did cut a reprisal and added an addition mizzium mortar. MU included: Junk constellation 2-0, Red white devotion 2-1 (he had the nuts one game that deck is awesome sometimes), Jund Monsters 2-0, and Finals was RW burn mirror 2-0, I got more helix and he didn't play very well. boros reckoner did work for me. Perhaps he isn't as insane as we all thought.
How has flamespeaker been?

yurp yurp

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:51 pm

CVM advoates Nyleas Disciple vs Burn.

Brad Nelson advocates Miscutter Hydra vs Burn.

SB accordingly.

yurp yurp

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 pm

I do think its important to note that Jund Monsters (which online is the main monster deck) has been known too run 2-3x [card]Rakdos's Return[/card] which leads me too believe that racing them is usually better then controlling them (have you ever experience RR taking away all your Bloods, Chains and BL? its nasty).

Thus I like keeping in my damaging spells like Boros Charm and Skullcrack, though I'll admit that the fact that 78% off the Jund Monsters decks are on the Nylea's Disciple plan online (info from goldfish) really helps me justify cards like SkullCrack ;-).
Last edited by magicdownunder on Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:13 pm

Maybe Reckoner is a better choice right now than more mortars?

yurp yurp

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Maybe Reckoner is a better choice right now than more mortars?
Not online since BWx is on the raise :argh:

I'm not sure about the paper meta game, I think you should just keep doing whatever is working for you :smileup:

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:27 pm

MDU, why do you call a round "game" and a game "round"? It bothers me every time I read it, though of course it's trivial.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:35 pm

MDU, why do you call a round "game" and a game "round"? It bothers me every time I read it, though of course it's trivial.
It confuses me when you guys call a game "round" and a round "games" :D

Nah, its just something we all use to do as Kids back home - in fighting games like MK or SF before a game/fight begins the announcer always goes "Round 1 fight", then "Round 2 fight" and so on (we usually make our games best of 3) thus I've gotten accustomed into call a set of rounds a "game".

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:23 pm

Same reason he calls Bile Blight blight bile. It's just further evidence that my secret Australian supersoldier project that I started in the 80's may have had a few loveable side effects.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:03 pm

@MDU- THanks for the manabase update- will be running that at Scg OPEN this weekend.

@Purp/JS/anyone ---how has 4 Mutavaults been working for you??

I am coming onto the idea of 4 Chained maindeck and 1 Mizzium more and more....

Seems like it is mostly Sylvan/Courser decks and Mono Black for the most part. Control as well but Searing isn't THAT much better vs Control than CTTR is.

Also just feels like I am looking for CTTR a lot when scrying
Burn baby burn!

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:49 pm

Haven't posted anything of substance in quite a while (RL and all that...) but I'm still alive and I'm currently here :) This is for MTGO :)

[deck=LaZer's Latest]Lands 23
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
2 Boros Guildgate
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Exile 03
3 Chained to the Rocks

Burn 26
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Searing Blood

Sideboard 15
4 Toil // Trouble
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Harness By Force
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Banishing Light
1 Fated Conflagration[/deck]

Harness is performing much better than I expected and I'm finding Banishing Light as
good as I thought it was going to be before JiN was released hence 2 copies. Fated I'm not 100% on based on never having drawn it :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Longtoe
Newcomer

Postby Longtoe » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:54 pm

@purp: I can never resolve mr angry firepants when I need him. I don't think I even saw him in the daily. I boarded him against Burn only.
Standard: Red whatever variant is most meta appropriate
Modern: RB burn, infect, Twin, Bots
Legacy: UR delver, belcher

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:10 pm

It confuses me when you guys call a game "round" and a round "games" :D

Nah, its just something we all use to do as Kids back home - in fighting games like MK or SF before a game/fight begins the announcer always goes "Round 1 fight", then "Round 2 fight" and so on (we usually make our games best of 3) thus I've gotten
accustomed into call a set of rounds a "game".
Makes sense haha. Just curious.

Return to “Archives”