[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

NotARobot
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby NotARobot » Sun May 11, 2014 8:17 am

Curious how you mean that. Like the decks represented there? Skill of the players? Presentation of the event?

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun May 11, 2014 8:42 am

The decks are poory built and the players are awful. Also the commentary is terrible and insulting. I guess the graphics are nice and they were good enough to git rid of Reuben Bresler (sp?).
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:57 am

not gonna lie i do kind of like the dictate vs u/w/x decks. seems fine to eot flash then blast the dome.
Last edited by warwizard87 on Sun May 11, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

DXI-Edge

Postby DXI-Edge » Sun May 11, 2014 10:23 am

ok so its not just me looking at these going "wait this is winning?"

jesus :(

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Sun May 11, 2014 10:34 am

Well at least they are showing how powerful B/G devotion is now :)

I also think Butler's list is pretty stock

[deck]Creatures (7)
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Satyr Firedancer

Lands (24)
8 Mountain
2 Mana Confluence
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

Spells (29)
2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Searing Blood
3 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix

Sideboard
4 Firedrinker Satyr
1 Burning Earth
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Satyr Firedancer
1 Wear
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Mizzium Mortars
4 Toil // Trouble[/deck]

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:31 am

test with dictate some, wasnt as impressed as i thought i would be. When it landed it had to be killed right there or game was over in a turn, but i was often winning that game anyway. the card that overpreformed was the 2 wear/tears chewing up rams/spheres/lights and making a 1/1 while doing it, that card is great.
I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Sun May 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Yeah if enchantment creatures become more popular wear // tear becomes an extremely efficient removal spell

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

JohnnyfnB

Postby JohnnyfnB » Sun May 11, 2014 12:42 pm

@ Tyrael they will and it will.
There is nothing greater than standing over the smoking corpse of your opponent.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun May 11, 2014 12:50 pm

One thing I noticed is the fact that noone is running banishing light in RWburn (no one means noone in scg).
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun May 11, 2014 12:54 pm

I won't say its incorrect because I for one found it really clunky in testing (at least with Flames your 2-for-1'ing, its a real shame as well because pretesting I figure BL would of be the GREATEST card ever printed for RW burn :P ok maybe not that good) but online Ux devotion make ups are rather large part of the metagame so I'm happy to run extra answers.

People are also running a huge number of enchantment hate so that doesn't help either :tears:

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Longtoe
Newcomer

Postby Longtoe » Sun May 11, 2014 1:25 pm

Cadillac Michigan 1k GPT write up for great victory and justice.
[deck]Zemanjaski's post journey burn with Longtoe's minor tweaks
The Fuel
[cards]4 Sacred Foundry 4 Temple of Triumph 9 Mountain 3 Mutavault 2 Mana Confluence 1 Temple of Silence[/cards]
The Firestokers
[cards]4 young pyromancers 4 Chandra's Phoenix[/cards]
The Furnace
[cards]4 warleader's Helix 4 magma jet 4 lightning strike 4 skull crack 4 boros charm 3 shock 2 searing blood 2 chained to the rocks 1 banishing light 1 flames of the firebrand[/cards]
The backup
[cards]3 fire drinker satyr 3 mizzium mortar 2 chained to the rocks 2 harness by force 1 wear/tear 1 reprisal 1 banishing light 2 chandra, pyromaster[/cards]
[/deck]
The tournament wasn't huge only 5 rounds then cut. As I was registering and chatting, I notice something that made me laugh, 60% of the field was
UW control. A few mono black decks, another red player, and a few homebrews. I felt fairly good with the deck choice, but I hadn't been posting amazing results on MODO with it lately. I have been running more of a RDW style on MODO. On to the matchups:
Round 1 Naya midrange (home brew with cute combos like Aurelia + prophetic flame speaker and xenagod) 2-0
There isn't much to say on how this went. I took care of his early creatures. Young pyro did work against his bigger creatures. Continued to point burn to face. Game 1 went so quickly I didn't know exactly what he was doing so my boarding was probably an abortion. I brought in the mortars, the harness by forces and the chained to the rocks. Game 2 was more of the same burn a few early guys and the point the rest at the face.
Round 2 UW Control 2-1
The first Island matchup of the day. The first round had over half the field going to time so I had plenty of time to rest. Game 1 was a joke. I had an unanswered young pyro who continued to put
pressure on the opponent forcing him to try to rev his way out of the situation and that was stifled with a skullcrack.
Game 2 He resolved two Rams turn 2, turn 3 against me. I had him near dead on board if I had topdecked any burn spell, but I drew lands for a few turns. I may have been too aggressive skullcracking the ram triggers. I may have had bad karma as well when the opponent drew and tried to get his Ram triggers after drawing which I did not allow.
Game 3 He resolves another Ram on turn 2 against. Another unanswered young pyro, which I would attack with each turn with mana up to sell a lightning strike. I got through unmolested two times with walter. I resolved a Chandra later and that was gg. She is amazing against ram and puts a scary clock on the UW player. Boarding for this m/U was firedrinkers, banshing light, chandra's, and wear/tear.
Round 3 UW Control 2-0
The opponent was an older player like me, US coast guardsmen, who had come out magic retirement of two years. There isn't much
to say about this M/U. I had great draws and he wasn't sure which spells are critical to counter. I am convinced if they can counter and early magma jet they should. Jet had set me up for success all day.
Round 4 Mono Black local ringer and top 8 at star city occasionally Christopher Morgan 1-2
Game 1: Was very tough, I killed his early packrat with searing blood. We battled back forth until we came to the game deciding moment. He was attacking for 10, I was at 11. I had lethal burn in my hand however I had a mana confluence as the land to be able to cast both spells. I was conservative and killed a rat to protect my life total. What do I topdeck, a mutavault. I guess I should have been more ballsy.
Game 2: he is on the I am going to rape your hand with discard. He sees the harness by force reads it cause no one knows what it does, leaves it in hand. This ends up killing him despite knowledge of the card. It is the real deal. I get him down to four and chained his demon after using the harness.
He has no creatures a bunch of lands and mutavault untapped. I have a elemental token. my hand is lightning strike. I hesitate before the attack to bluff the searing blood. He doesn't block LS for the win.
Game 3: Unremarkable. He double garys, no skullcrack for me. those are the breaks.
Boarding: harness x 2, mortars, chained, reprisal.
Round 5 ID
Top 8 including Junk, mono black, the rest UWx control variants, and me.
I got the matchup I didn't want and deserved. Junk 2-1
Game 1- This deck has an insane amount of tap lands. I took advantage of that with running out a young pyro early. Controlling the board. His version played voice which I think is really good right now. burned him out without any significant worries, made me feel better.
Game 2- I worked him down to 7 and then he ended up getting courser plus archangel online, GG. you cannot beat that.
Game 3- We battle back and forth and ended up having to give him a few tokens on his voice, but I ignored his early creatures
continuing to burn his face. He was down to four I had one phoenix on board, one in hand, and a skullcrack. his board is enarmous with 5-6 creatures. He resolves an archangel thinking GG. I drew a warleader's helix showed it to him and he said did you just draw that. I said yes, he was pissed, I also showed him he was dead on board with the double phoenix attack with crack in hand. That was a great amount of butthurt. Boarding: I wasn't sure his creature list so it was WRONG, reprisal chained wear and harness. The reprisal was worthless it is getting cut for states.
Top 4 UWr appeared to be Saito's list Keranos and firemind foresight nonsense. The player who was really nice stated it was homebrew. 2-0 This was dominance. He didn't know what to counter, I sculpted a beautiful hand and proceeded to burn him out twice. Of note, he was running 2 magma spray main so I didn't board in the satyrs. He was pretty excited to top 4 anyway. He had a game loss going into the top 8 against christopher morgan
and ended up winning his top 8 match.
Finals UW control 2-0 Complete obliteration. At this point, I was extremely confidant. I surgically destroyed him. He had to walk into skullcrack. When he tried to resolve a rev in game one he said, "main deck skullcrack?" and I responded," it is burn deck."
Game 2 was a thing of beauty. He resolved an early blind obedience(this is still a real card). He was gaining a few life here and there. He tapped out for a jace with the exort trigger, I cracked in response bringing him down to near lethal range. I untapped drew and passed the turn. He passed again I LS him down to 4 and then he tried to rev which I thought I telegraphed having 2 cracks with my other play. He was sad that I had two and extended the hand.
We split the higher cash prize, I now have VIP reg and 2 byes for GP Chicago. At this point, I am definitely on this list. I want to thank the diestoremoval.com forum especially MDU and Zemanjaski as great inspiration and teachers.
Standard: Red whatever variant is most meta appropriate
Modern: RB burn, infect, Twin, Bots
Legacy: UR delver, belcher

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Sun May 11, 2014 2:06 pm

Congrats longtoe, btw have to ask how were the firedrinkers in the u/w match up??

Longtoe
Newcomer

Postby Longtoe » Sun May 11, 2014 2:08 pm

I didn't get to them a ton. When I did get them they were great are eating removal so I could f/u with a young pyro. I just figure more pressure to force your opponent to waste resources and that is always good.

JohnnyfnB

Postby JohnnyfnB » Sun May 11, 2014 2:09 pm

Undefeated burn for the win in Knoxville!!
There is nothing greater than standing over the smoking corpse of your opponent.

JohnnyfnB

Postby JohnnyfnB » Sun May 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Congrats Longtoe, great job!

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Sun May 11, 2014 2:39 pm

How do people feel about Assemble the Legion nowadays? Against MB it was game over, but with BG more popular, has Assemble weakened enough to not warrant inclusion in the 75?

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun May 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Sealed PTQ. Open Brimaz, Purphoros, Iroas, and Mana Confluence. Had to pass it. Proceed to get a horrible pool. 1-3-0 drop.

Played in the standard side event, the Canadian Magic Tour Championship.

Winner won an all inclusive trip to Cuba to play in an invitational, the first sanctioned MTG tournament in the country. Finished second.

[img]http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q775/Keith_Ambrose/freddie-so-close_zpsbade4a52.png[/img:
2ilmsfy5]

Will post my three feature matches when they are published.

I played agains B/w Devotion (2-0), W/b Aggro (2-1) and UW control (0-2) on camera.

After this event, I'll be trying two stormbreath dragons in the board as a work aroung for the UW menace (my only loses that day).

Board will be:

[deck]
Sideboard (15)
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Stormbreath Dragon
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Chained to the Rocks
1 Harness by Force
4 Toil // Trouble
1 Banishing Light
[/deck]

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun May 11, 2014 3:51 pm

I think Stormbreath > Dictate, no?

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Sun May 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Possibly. Most likely.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun May 11, 2014 3:57 pm

We'll need to test it.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun May 11, 2014 4:01 pm

Did Dicate do anything on camera? I feel like Dragon is just better against everything but Esper.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun May 11, 2014 4:05 pm

Also... Toil // Trouble VS Firedrinker Satyr?

I think Satyr gets embarrassed by Ram... Satry seems pretty bad after T1... toil just seems better to me.

Thoughts?

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun May 11, 2014 4:07 pm

I agree Toil > FDS
Last edited by LaZerBurn on Sun May 11, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun May 11, 2014 4:12 pm

Then again, we need to consider if Toil is any good vs Black, because Firedrinker is.

I was boarding -4 shock, +1 Banishing Light, +2 Chained to the Rocks, +1 Harness By Force for mono black.

Not sure...

Give me some feedback gents.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun May 11, 2014 4:14 pm

I could see Harness by Force just being Dictatate.

Harness did win me a game though. Stole two Loxodon Smiters.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun May 11, 2014 4:25 pm

Yep, just be warned the meta hasn't settled between UW and Esper yet - so it would be horrible if you run SBD into Doom Blades T_T

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

JohnnyfnB

Postby JohnnyfnB » Sun May 11, 2014 4:27 pm

Toil is good vs MBC on the play, not so good on the draw, especially after game 1. I still like it better than FDS.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun May 11, 2014 4:28 pm

What would you side out for Toil vs Mono Black?

Do we have an official plan VS them?

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sun May 11, 2014 4:36 pm

Assuming you're not still trying to sneak in assemble, you're boarding quite a bit less in. My plan is 3 exiles, 1 reprisal, and board out 4 shocks. FDS isn't great against mono black because of golgari charm making you putting up a board presence risky.

Trouble is still pretty bleh, even on the play. The first might hit for 5 if you're lucky and then the rest are dead unless you're banking on using the toil end.
Last edited by Elricity on Sun May 11, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JohnnyfnB

Postby JohnnyfnB » Sun May 11, 2014 4:37 pm

I run reprisal sb as well as Banishing Light. With green being splashed in MBC, Banishing Light gets weaker, and Reprisal gains weight. I know it only hits Demon, but it does hit an out of hand Pack Rat too. It works! I went 3-1 at FNM and I took out a DD and a Master of Feasts (after I drew the free card thank you) I got third because of tie breakers. First place had the first round bye.

FYI my only loss was to Junk Aura Life deck. I mulled to 5 first game and second I flooded out. I should have won, oh well.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Sun May 11, 2014 4:38 pm

Banishing Light is not good (i would be weary playing more than 1, no need to waste a SB slot), the worst card for me all day at the Open. The decks you want it against, also have ways to kill it or banishing light it themselves.

yurp yurp

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun May 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Banishing Light is not good (i would be weary playing more than 1, no need to waste a SB slot), the worst card for me all day at the Open. The decks you want it against, also have ways to kill it or banishing light it themselves.
I think two is the correct number if your on the YP$ plan, its much worst if your racing though (Ash plan).

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sun May 11, 2014 5:02 pm

Curious that Eidolon was working out. Would be funny if we were all wrong at once.

MDU, that was a lot of game 1 exiles. Not surprised it was feeling odd.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Sun May 11, 2014 5:11 pm

YP$ is terrible vs junk midrange, firedancer is infinitely better.

yurp yurp

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun May 11, 2014 5:11 pm

The scg list was bad.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun May 11, 2014 5:12 pm

YP$ is terrible vs junk midrange, firedancer is infinitely better.
Stream of chumps isn't bad.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun May 11, 2014 5:12 pm

why wasn't firedancer a 2/1? :(

Longtoe
Newcomer

Postby Longtoe » Sun May 11, 2014 5:17 pm

I probably am going to test the eidolon out. I am really curious to see if it total garbage on MTGO.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Sun May 11, 2014 5:23 pm

"SCG list is bad."

Only went undefeated in a tournament full of stacked players.

yurp yurp

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sun May 11, 2014 5:29 pm

Going to stream the premier event. Let's see if I embarrass myself =p

Or not, forgot it has to actually fire.
Last edited by Elricity on Sun May 11, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Archives”