[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri May 09, 2014 3:16 am

Hard to say. I think you might be able to use harness when your opponent taps out for massive profit.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri May 09, 2014 3:17 am

Even without strive, if you spend 3 to attack with their demon on your turn 5 and cast a burn spell that's potentially 10+ damage.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri May 09, 2014 3:28 am

Your going to have to be really lucky for your Opp. too tap out.... this is one of those consistency vs random blowout type cards where one FNM its amazing.

Against Bx the best timing would be he taps out for Demon on T4 (assuming no other creatures are in play on his board) and you cast Threaten for 6 damage.... any turns after that he'll have something to sac or kill it (in which case a simple removal would of been better since you will at least be able to make sure the demon dies) against Gx the walls and dorks make threat seem rather bad.

If we were running 16+ creatures however (like in PyroWhite or RDW) I can see threaten representing much more damage consistently.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

BiddingMaster

Postby BiddingMaster » Fri May 09, 2014 3:54 am

First of all can we nake a seperate thread for how we beat matchups that are a bye for us?.... im looking at you dredge.

Second of all, i dont think zem has to breast feed us nor should be obligated to do so. Play the deck, give insights on how you would play the cards and the forum members will be more than willing to help. Z is not the only one here who knows a thing or two.

Third of all, harness is a 2 of so we are not looking to draw it every single game. There will be mumerous times where we can dome them for 6 with their own demon and we can steal dragons....it flies people. Also stealing a xenagos and a dragon would be hilarious.

Last of all. The reason we are running banishing light was to reduce the situanional cards so why would we add back more of them? We have chained and mortars to make sure we have the cards on the turns we need them. We are not a quote, unquote burn deck nor are we an aggro deck. We
are a tempo deck and the more we have to work to make our cards useful the more we dilute our strategy. Not to look like an ass kisser but i think zems sideboard has what the deck needs. Also he has posted a bajillion videos where he discusses one drops so our previous experience with them should tell when and why we need them.

Ok I forgot one thing. I have completed 5 hours of testing with eidolon of the great revel. That cards is the real deal folks. It reinforces our mainboard strategy against everything by allowing us to point spells at our opponents critters and bash for damage. It has over performed in my opinion. I tested it vs 2 different creature decks. Black red humans and mono green aggro and i shit stomped the hell out if them and the only times where my low life total lost me the game were when i did not draw well enough to win without eidolon. I cut 4 shocks from my 75 to support it and i was never wanting for spells to use with him. I feel like eidolon of the great revel adds the extra
redundancy that yp gives us and works better than satyr firedancer because of his 2 power which has been the last few points i needed to seal games away. Im 100% taking my new build to the scg open this weekend and no one is talking me out of it. Ill post a tourney report when i get back on sunday. Im also not 100% on what the sideboard should consist of but i have a good idea and im going to do some more testing on friday.
Last edited by BiddingMaster on Fri May 09, 2014 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Fri May 09, 2014 4:11 am

I agree that no one should be "breast feeding", but I think its reasonable to expect someone to explain their variation of a deck if they post a list. Why one card over another? Explain your reasoning and it opens up a dialogue to move us all forward. If you just want decklists without any talking about them, then head over to tappedout or something. Thats just my 2 cents. I've been lurking here for a while and I want to stress that I appreciate everyone who contributes to the thread! You are all great!

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri May 09, 2014 4:19 am

The fact there there is a wide disparity in experiences between playing BGdrege leads me to conclude that there is some technique or deep background knowledge that some of us are missing.
I lose against dredge but I lose lots of matches because I am not very good and the deck is pretty difficult to pilot (very low margin for error).

I am not even sure if we are the beatdown in that deck ... but I have to to think not. Possibly it's simply getting in their head -- not only have I never played BGdredge -- I've never REALLY played any similar deck. I mean, I get the concept (fill gravyyard, profit) but it's certainly not as straight forward as the MBC matchup (burn rat, dodge demon, hope they use underworld connections, keep pinging away).

Anyone have
videos of a good game/match against BG dredge? I.,e not one where either side nut draws or gets mana screwed?
This might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLl8FPMWOak

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri May 09, 2014 4:23 am

@ BM: You cut your best card, for a win more card...

BiddingMaster

Postby BiddingMaster » Fri May 09, 2014 4:28 am

Thats why you need to post your thoughts first. That gets the ball rolling better than trying to gain the benefit of someone else's testing with no effort on your part. I am guilty of this as well but I have tried not to.

BiddingMaster

Postby BiddingMaster » Fri May 09, 2014 4:42 am

@ BM: You cut your best card, for a win more card...
Ive always felt like shock was a lackluster card in our deck.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri May 09, 2014 4:47 am

First of all can we make a separate thread for how we beat matchups that are a bye for us?.... im looking at you dredge.
If someone would pass control of the first page too YP$ (our collected username, because I don't really want to work on this on my own) I'll be happy to edit the first page to included the updated Z (the most recognizable red player on this forum) and MDU (the most successful (in terms of QPs) red player on MTGO on this forum) list + anything which takes large events (it may stop all the annoying repeated questions) + video and strategy links.

The thing is when it comes to MUs its more then just SB'ing theory its also play-style (ever wonder why some people perform better with the same 75 then others?) so something like
that could consume many words or videos.
Third of all, harness is a 2 of so we are not looking to draw it every single game. There will be numerous times where we can dome them for 6 with their own demon and we can steal dragons....it flies people. Also stealing a xenagos and a dragon would be hilarious.
What are your boarding out for threaten:
Against Monster? You plan on bringing 2x Chains, 4x MM, 2x Threatens? what are you cutting? Shock, Flames/blood, Skull and/or Boros Charm? what is the best target against Monsters? is threaten REALLY better then these cards??

Shock (I personally like shock in this MU) and Flames/blood are your early manadork killers, combine with Lightning Strike or MM usually results in dead things - that said Chains and MM (I personally don't like 4x MM but killing also 2/4 lifegaining walls is rather important) are usually better so they make the easy cut - so that means the only cards you have left are Skull and/or Boros Charm, the ONLY REAL target against monster is SBD (Jund Monster doesn't even run these and Jund monster IS the better deck) so basically your subbing instant speed guaranteed damage for a spell which can sometimes deal 4 damage.

Against Bx Devotion? Your prime target is Demon which you need to hit before they have mana-open or a creature in play which they can just sac too it (that said you have more semi-dead spells in this MU so its not horrible).
Ok I forgot one thing. I have completed 5 hours of testing with eidolon of the great revel. That cards is the real deal folks. It
reinforces our mainboard strategy against everything by allowing us to point spells at our opponents critters and bash for damage. It has over performed in my opinion. I tested it vs 2 different creature decks. Black red humans and mono green aggro and i shit stomped the hell out if them and the only times where my low life total lost me the game were when i did not draw well enough to win without eidolon. I cut 4 shocks from my 75 to support it and i was never wanting for spells to use with him. I feel like eidolon of the great revel adds the extra redundancy that yp gives us and works better than satyr firedancer because of his 2 power which has been the last few points i needed to seal games away. Im 100% taking my new build to the scg open this weekend and no one is talking me out of it. Ill post a tourney report when i get back on sunday. Im also not 100% on what the sideboard should consist of but i have a good idea and im going to do some more testing on friday.
Good luck with your
event, from my understanding you took my 75 and did well in your last event but for some reason decided too sub Shock for Revel - I don't really see what MU Revel will improve yet and I don't think aggro is going to be favorable without Shocks or Blood but I do hope it works out.....

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri May 09, 2014 5:09 am

Shock is the best card in the deck vs small aggro, especially in conjunction with YP$. You were testing against the matches where you get the most out of shock, but cut shock for EotGR. I don't mean to discount your five hours of testing, but it seems incorrect to me.

Rhyno

Postby Rhyno » Fri May 09, 2014 6:01 am

Ok I forgot one thing. I have completed 5 hours of testing with eidolon of the great revel. That cards is the real deal folks. It reinforces our mainboard strategy against everything by allowing us to point spells at our opponents critters and bash for damage. It has over performed in my opinion. I tested it vs 2 different creature decks. Black red humans and mono green aggro and i shit stomped the hell out if them and the only times where my low life total lost me the game were when i did not draw well enough to win without eidolon. I cut 4 shocks from my 75 to support it and i was never wanting for spells to use with him. I feel like eidolon of the great revel adds the extra redundancy that yp gives us and works better than satyr firedancer because of his 2 power which has been the last few points i needed to seal games away. Im 100% taking my new build to the scg open this weekend and no one is talking me
out of it. Ill post a tourney report when i get back on sunday. Im also not 100% on what the sideboard should consist of but i have a good idea and im going to do some more testing on friday.
Wouldn't it be more realistic to test new cards against Tier 1 decks that you'll actually see with some frequency at a major event?
Good luck at the open, I do mean that genuinely even though I am skeptical.

PirateKingAtomsk

Postby PirateKingAtomsk » Fri May 09, 2014 11:54 am

Ok I forgot one thing. I have completed 5 hours of testing with eidolon of the great revel. That cards is the real deal folks. It reinforces our mainboard strategy against everything by allowing us to point spells at our opponents critters and bash for damage. It has over performed in my opinion. I tested it vs 2 different creature decks. Black red humans and mono green aggro and i shit stomped the hell out if them and the only times where my low life total lost me the game were when i did not draw well enough to win without eidolon. I cut 4 shocks from my 75 to support it and i was never wanting for spells to use with him. I feel like eidolon of the great revel adds the extra redundancy that yp gives us and works better than satyr firedancer because of his 2
power which has been the last few points i needed to seal games away. Im 100% taking my new build to the scg open this weekend and no one is talking me out of it. Ill post a tourney report when i get back on sunday. Im also not 100% on what the sideboard should consist of but i have a good idea and im going to do some more testing on friday.
I may have missed something here, but I'm pretty sure eidolon of the great revel is terrible to use in a burn deck where all but 4 of our spells trigger it.
" :symtap: : Destroy target orifice."

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:06 pm

okay just finished a 40 game set vs Bg devotion list that won scgs.com last open vs

[deck]Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments
2 Banishing Light
2 Chained to the Rocks

Instants
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
1 Flames of the FireBrand
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix

Lands
1 Mana Confluence
3 Mutavault
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Temple of Malice

Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
3 Toil//Trouble
2 Chandra,Pyromaster
2 Assemble the Legion
2 Chained to the Rocks
1 Mutavault
1 Wear/Tear[/deck]

went 13-7 main board 14-6 post board

couple things I noticed, we still get draws they just can not do ANYTHING about. demon/decay/charm dosnt matter they just die before doing anything relevant. In the 20 sided games only had assemble hit with charm once!! More often they would have to unlock
their demon early with charm if they didn't have the decay.

Toil/trouble always hit for at lest 4 most of the time 5-6. twice drawing me cards, one time got me the 3 damage spell I needed to win(they had 1 card in hand and I only had 5 mana) and the other I was just digging for a answer to a demon and didn't find it.

I am kind of worried about playing firedrinkers since they bring in cures once more and that is a bit scary to be honest.

I really liked 1 mana confluence....I cant imagine having 2 I think I never ever ever ever want to draw more then one and often I don't want to actually draw even one unless I need it. Giving me 3 black sources let me fuse a couple of times when I normally wouldn't of been able to.

Post board is mostly back and forth you actually are racing each other pretty aggressively.

I kept 3 charms in didn't hit for 4 a lot with them, most of the time they prevented them from unlocking a demon.

ALL in all I am liking this configuration, I need to do some
testing vs mono black aggro and see if I need to change anything for that match up.
I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

Longtoe
Newcomer

Postby Longtoe » Fri May 09, 2014 1:24 pm

I am not particularly terrified about the B/g mu. I am much more concerned about the Junk list with the all the lifegain. Is this winnable?
Standard: Red whatever variant is most meta appropriate
Modern: RB burn, infect, Twin, Bots
Legacy: UR delver, belcher

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri May 09, 2014 1:55 pm

I am not particularly terrified about the B/g mu. I am much more concerned about the Junk list with the all the lifegain. Is this winnable?
The MU actually improved with JOU so yeah its winnable I suggest watching:

Vs: JUNK

I had to change my playstyle to increase my win-rate against them but once you do it get much easier.....

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Fri May 09, 2014 3:30 pm

The junk matchup is winnable, we can grind them out pretty easily.

Longtoe
Newcomer

Postby Longtoe » Fri May 09, 2014 3:45 pm

fair enough. I will just be patient and grind away.
Standard: Red whatever variant is most meta appropriate
Modern: RB burn, infect, Twin, Bots
Legacy: UR delver, belcher

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Fri May 09, 2014 3:46 pm

Yeah I played at a SCG IQ and I went on the Assemble/Chandra Plan. As soon as I dropped Assemble my opponent moaned.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri May 09, 2014 3:50 pm

I actually think its really hard to grind them out.... discards, whips, vampires, enchantment hate and ghostdads means long drawn out games = death.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Fri May 09, 2014 4:25 pm

So is everyone else using 1-2 mana confluence? I wasn't sure the mana base needed it.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri May 09, 2014 4:27 pm

Deck for SCG Knoxville. Leh go.

[deck]3 YP$
1 SFD
4 CP

4 Magma Jet
4 Lighting Strike
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Searing Blood

2 Chain
1 Banishing Light

2 Mana Confluence
7 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Temple of Silence
1 Temple of Malice

SB
2 Chain
1 Banishing Light
2 Chandra, Pyrosex
1 Wear//Tear
4 Toill//Trouble
1 Mutavault
2 Mizium Mortars
1 Reprisal (might cut this for another mortars)
1 Harness or Font of Ire or Mizzium or Dictate of the Twin Gods (who knows I might YOLO it for a blowout card)[/deck]

yurp yurp

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Fri May 09, 2014 4:29 pm

I actually think its really hard to grind them out.... discards, whips, vampires, enchantment hate and ghostdads means long drawn out games = death.
The last time I played the matchup was pre-Jou, so I might be out of date.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri May 09, 2014 4:34 pm

It's really hard if they have a whip...

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri May 09, 2014 4:49 pm

So is everyone else using 1-2 mana confluence? I wasn't sure the mana base needed it.
Well.... if your on the 1cc and/or Blood + Ash plan having more untapped lands is better, if your on the T//T and YP$ plan the current base would work just as well (I'm still on T//T and YP :P).

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri May 09, 2014 5:31 pm

I am running two because it increases my chances of being able to cast spells up until turn 4, after that it doesn't matter.

yurp yurp

zenbitz

Postby zenbitz » Fri May 09, 2014 5:40 pm

okay just finished a 40 game set vs Bg devotion list that won scgs.com last open vs

[deck]Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments
2 Banishing Light
2 Chained to the Rocks

Instants
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix

Lands
1 Mana Confluence
3 Mutavault
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Temple of Malice

Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
3 Toil//Trouble
2 Chandra,Pyromaster
2 Assemble the Legion
2 Chained to the Rocks
1 Mutavault
1 Wear/Tear[/deck]
Toil/trouble always hit for at lest 4 most of the time 5-6. ....
I
haven't been using T/T vs. Black. So you are +2 Assemble +2 Chandra +3 T/T +1 Vault -4 shock -1 Flames.... -1 Charm -2 Skullcrack?? (no Gary?) Or take out Helix? Or maybe no chandras to blank downfall? Or switch it up G2/G3?

BiddingMaster

Postby BiddingMaster » Fri May 09, 2014 7:02 pm

Ok I forgot one thing. I have completed 5 hours of testing with eidolon of the great revel. That cards is the real deal folks. It reinforces our mainboard strategy against everything by allowing us to point spells at our opponents critters and bash for damage. It has over performed in my opinion. I tested it vs 2 different creature decks. Black red humans and mono green aggro and i shit stomped the hell out if them and the only times where my low life total lost me the game were when i did not draw well enough to win without eidolon. I cut 4 shocks from my 75 to support it and i was never wanting for spells to use with him. I feel like eidolon of the great revel adds the extra redundancy that yp gives us and works better than satyr firedancer because of
his 2 power which has been the last few points i needed to seal games away. Im 100% taking my new build to the scg open this weekend and no one is talking me out of it. Ill post a tourney report when i get back on sunday. Im also not 100% on what the sideboard should consist of but i have a good idea and im going to do some more testing on friday.
Wouldn't it be more realistic to test new cards against Tier 1 decks that you'll actually see with some frequency at a major event?
Good luck at the open, I do mean that genuinely even though I am skeptical.
For eidolon to be as good as I think it is it had to be good against small aggro. also I did play some games vs mono black. Against mono black going t2 eidolon into burn spell into yp and a burn spell is really good. If we are using shock vs small aggro then why not eidolon? Not having shock allows us to kill dudes while being able to attack for a significant amount of damage and still deal damage to their face. Mono
black has to choose between eidolon/skullcrack/helix/yp with a thoughtseize. So if they take skullcrack they are essentially getting skullcracked by eidolon. if they take yp they are giving me two skullcracks. if they take helix they are giving me two yps or two skullcracks. It makes thoughtseizes into a buffet of crappy choices. Either of those are fine to me. It may just be a me thing but there are alot of times where my openers against and unknown oppoenent are just really bad or really good depending on what deck my opponenet is playing. eidolon also solves this problem. Our deck becomes more consistent vs everything from what I have seen and tested against. Even in the mirror it is good. I tested the mirror and more mono black today and I am still pushing for it. Even though all of our spells trigger eidolon he is bashing for two and they are taking 2 for almost all of their spells as well. We have helix and if we didnt have helix I would not be running eidolon. Games usually come down to both of us
being at low life totals and then we burn them at a critical point and we go to a small life total and then we swing with everyting including mutas eidolon yp and elemental tokens for the last few points of damage. the only deck that can really punish us is rdw and how often do we see rdw these days at major events? I have played against 0 rdw decks at the major events ive played. I also dont expect to see alot of small aggro decks. I expect so face a wave of midrange decks and eidolon puts a choke hold on each of them.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Fri May 09, 2014 7:14 pm

Well.... if your on the 1cc and/or Blood + Ash plan having more untapped lands is better, if your on the T//T and YP$ plan the current base would work just as well (I'm still on T//T and YP :P).
Yeah, I guess that's why I was confused because everyone else was jamming in Confluence and they're still on that plan. It was obvious why it was in Z's build which I do want to test but I have similar
concerns to yours except I'm less of a fan of Trouble lately.

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Fri May 09, 2014 8:35 pm

[deck]Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments
2 Banishing Light
2 Chained to the Rocks

Instants
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix

Lands
1 Mana Confluence
3 Mutavault
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Temple of Malice

Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
3 Toil//Trouble
2 Chandra,Pyromaster
2 Assemble the Legion
2 Chained to the Rocks
1 Mutavault
1 Wear/Tear[/deck]

couple things I noticed, we still get draws they just can not do ANYTHING about. demon/decay/
charm dosnt matter they just die before doing anything relevant. In the 20 sided games only had assemble hit with charm once!! More often they would have to unlock their demon early with charm if they didn't have the decay.

Toil/trouble always hit for at lest 4 most of the time 5-6. twice drawing me cards, one time got me the 3 damage spell I needed to win(they had 1 card in hand and I only had 5 mana) and the other I was just digging for a answer to a demon and didn't find it.

I am kind of worried about playing firedrinkers since they bring in cures once more and that is a bit scary to be honest.

I really liked 1 mana confluence....I cant imagine having 2 I think I never ever ever ever want to draw more then one and often I don't want to actually draw even one unless I need it. Giving me 3 black sources let me fuse a couple of times when I normally wouldn't of been able to.

Post board is mostly back and forth you actually are racing each other pretty aggressively.

I kept 3 charms in
didn't hit for 4 a lot with them, most of the time they prevented them from unlocking a demon.

ALL in all I am liking this configuration, I need to do some testing vs mono black aggro and see if I need to change anything for that match up.
I love this list, its what I'm going to play tonight. My only tweak is -1 mortars for a second wear/tear. I find wear and tear to be invaluable almost every single time I board it in, just so many targets. I think I'd also run a second confluence or a scryland over the guildgate, but thats just me.

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:36 pm

[deck]Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments
2 Banishing Light
2 Chained to the Rocks

Instants
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix

Lands
1 Mana Confluence
3 Mutavault
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Temple of Malice

Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
3 Toil//Trouble
2 Chandra,Pyromaster
2 Assemble the Legion
Chained to the Rocks
1 Mutavault
1 Wear/Tear[/deck]
Toil/trouble always hit for at lest 4 most of the time 5-6. ....
I haven't been using T/T vs. Black. So you are +2 Assemble +2 Chandra +3 T/T +1 Vault -4 shock -1 Flames.... -1 Charm -2 Skullcrack?? (no Gary?) Or take out Helix? Or maybe no chandras to blank downfall? Or switch it up G2/G3?
-4 shock -1 flames -2 magma jet -1 charm I found I liked jet lest in the match up. Charm was really good because of all the enchantment hate not to mention when it hit for four.

Like the t/t because it forces them to interact it kind of pushes the envelope making then use resources before they may be ready to do so. Making it more likely that the assemble will stick. At lest based ony results.
I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

BiddingMaster

Postby BiddingMaster » Fri May 09, 2014 8:42 pm

[deck] creatures
4 eidolon of the great revel
4 chandra's phoenix
4 young pyromancer

instant/sorcery
4 skullcrack
4 boros charm
4 warleader's helix
2 flames of the firebrand
4 magma jet
4 lightning strike

enchantments
2 chained to the rocks
1 banishing light

lands
2 mana confluence
4 temple of triumph
4 sacred foundry
1 temple of malice
1 temple of silence
8 mountain
3 mutavault

sideboard
4 firedrinker satyr
2 chandra, pyromaster
2 chained to the rocks
1 banishing light
2 harness by force
4 mizzium mortars[/deck]

Im not sure if this will be my new 75 or not but this is what im leaning towards piloting for this weekend. I really do want to fit a third chandra though.

vs monsters
-2 flames
-4 skullcrack
-1 banishing light
-1 magma jet
+2 chained
+4 mortars
+2 harness
there are quite a few times where their mana forces them to use their mana guys to play their spells on time
and thats when i want to get the most value out of my harness. I want to play a guy on turn two then turn three steal bash if they dont play courser that is. Turn 4 double burn them. t5 phoenix+ spell can make for an awful game.

Vs mono black
-2 flames
-4 boros charm
-2 magma jet
-1 banishing light
+2 chained
+3 mortars
+2 chandra
+2 harness

Im dumping flames because we have a lower mana cost spell that we can play on t4 with yp to make tokens. Im really just trying to be as aggressive as I can. I think going to a more sligh plan is better for us and I really dont expect anyone to see it coming either. I want to be able to force them to deal with everyting that I play and then drop a demon and hopefully we will have enough mana to steal it and remove it or steal it and then have skullcrack mana open.

vs mono blue/small aggro decks
-4 skullcrack
-4 boros charm
-1 magma jet
+1 banishing light
+4 mizzium mortars
+2 chandra
+2 chained
The reason for the banishing lights is for hall of
heroes. I have seen players running it and its pretty good aganst our chained to the rocks when they get to keep their tokens from master of waves. Just like the small aggro decks we just want to remove every creature they play and force them to commit more to the board taking more damage and then burn their face and alpha strike for lethal. Our life total will go low somtimes but still we have helix and the alpha strike plan.

vs esper
-2 flames
-4 magma jet
-1 warleaders helix
+2 chandra
+1 banishing light
+4 firedrinker satyr

When I first started playing this deck with the channel fireball list I was running 7 extra creatures on top of our mainboard creatures and esper has not changed at all really. I think this plan will serve us well enough. I think my plan here is really self explanatory. Aggressive guys then burn+ chandra.

vs midrange junk/bw
-2 flames
-4 boros charm
-1 magma jet
-1 banishing light
+4 mizzium mortars
+2 chandra
+2 chained to the rocks
A few of the other people on
the forum have said that we can grind out the junk and bw midrange decks hit the nail on the head. We cant fight then on aggro and we cant burn then out so what do we do? We play the kind of durdle plan. Pheonix alone allows us to do so and expecially with eidolon in play. Eidolon act like another 4 copies of chandras phoenix being a repeatable source of damage even though we might not be able to attack with it. It ticks away at their small points of lifegain every turn and our phoenixes are hitting for damage or we are getting yp tokens and if they decide to deal with the eidolon that frees up our phoenixes and yp for maximun effect.

I think that covers all the major archetypes. If I have missed a deck plz let me know and I am always open to comments and question about my deck so just drop reply and ill try and defend as best I can. This is the most comprehensive list of why I am running eidolon that I can make and I hope this sheds some more light on my choices. I am also still working on my sideboard
but this is what I am almost certain to be running.

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:44 pm

[deck]Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments
2 Banishing Light
2 Chained to the Rocks

Instants
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix

Lands
1 Mana Confluence
3 Mutavault
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Temple of Malice

Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
3 Toil//Trouble
2 Chandra,Pyromaster
2 Assemble the Legion
2 Chained to the Rocks
Mutavault
1 Wear/Tear[/deck]

couple things I noticed, we still get draws they just can not do ANYTHING about. demon/decay/charm dosnt matter they just die before doing anything relevant. In the 20 sided games only had assemble hit with charm once!! More often they would have to unlock their demon early with charm if they didn't have the decay.

I really liked 1 mana confluence....I cant imagine having 2 I think I never ever ever ever want to draw more then one and often I don't want to actually draw even one unless I need it. Giving me 3 black sources let me fuse a couple of
times when I normally wouldn't of been able to.

I kept 3 charms in didn't hit for 4 a lot with them, most of the time they prevented them from unlocking a demon.

ALL in all I am liking this configuration, I need to do some testing vs mono black aggro and see if I need to change anything for that match up.
I love this list, its what I'm going to play tonight. My only tweak is -1 mortars for a second wear/tear. I find wear and tear to be invaluable almost every single time I board it in, just so many targets. I think I'd also run a second confluence or a scryland over the guildgate, but thats just me.
I can't take most of the credit for the list it was based on one purp posted earlier. I'm not sure on running more then one confluence especially if you expect aggro. I like the gate since it makes both our main colors with put pain. It may be wrong but I'm
worried about comming off it unless I find out we have less aggro to face.

zenbitz

Postby zenbitz » Fri May 09, 2014 9:20 pm

Cutting magma jets? Is that even legal?

Rhyno

Postby Rhyno » Fri May 09, 2014 9:27 pm

So if they take skullcrack they are essentially getting skullcracked by eidolon.

Even in the mirror it is good.
Here's two points I couldn't disagree with more. How does Eidolon fill the role of a Skullcrack in terms of life prevention? Skullcrack turns Gray Merchant from +4 life to -3 life, Eidolon does... nothing there.

And how can Eidolon possibly be good in the mirror when you're paying 2 life for a symmetrical effect?

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:34 pm

On a unrelated note you ever see how much a man can rage when he knows he has a 4th onslaught shock and can't find it so he has to use a m14 on...yeah only magic players know that kind of angst....on a happy note just found it fabulous day!!!!!

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Fri May 09, 2014 9:50 pm

If you're not digging for specific cards such as assemble, 5th land, etc but instead have lots of redundant effects like 10 terrors, then yes, boarding out magma jet is viable since it becomes an expensive shock.

Rhyno

Postby Rhyno » Fri May 09, 2014 9:59 pm

If you're not digging for specific cards such as assemble, 5th land, etc but instead have lots of redundant effects like 10 terrors, then yes, boarding out magma jet is viable since it becomes an expensive shock.
it still helps filter lands vs. spells, and in the control matchup it can come down to 1 card pretty often. I vary rarely cut it.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Fri May 09, 2014 10:06 pm

it still helps filter lands vs. spells, and in the control matchup it can come down to 1 card pretty often. I vary rarely cut it.
I would be leery
as well but magma jet becomes less and less powerful the shorter you want the game to be and with satyr's, you're making it clear that going long isn't the longterm goal. Unlikely it will be my game plan but my point is, magma jet isn't sacred if your goal is to blaze fast.

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:14 pm

Your also running
six scry lands and chandra. Jet is the next card up on the weak damage chain after shock. The scry is nice but often times not worth the two mana your paying for it since jet often times dosnt help the damage race in any real sense. And if your raceing demon+Gary I don't like jet as much there. I always keep a couple in but getting more then one or two a game vs mbc always makes me feel behind unless they went turn two pack rat then it obviously feels unfair.

Return to “Archives”