[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Valdarith » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Bro, do you even Purge?
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:48 pm

soooooo

Both Hammer of Purphoros and Xenegos, God of Revels can give Rubblebelt Raiders haste, and Raiders seems like a decent Devotion enabler.

Might this thing actually be somewhat playable? PLEASE?!?
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

toddulent
Newcomer

Postby toddulent » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:59 pm

soooooo

Both Hammer of Purphoros and Xenegos, God of Revels can give Rubblebelt Raiders haste, and Raiders seems like a decent Devotion enabler.

Might this thing actually be somewhat playable? PLEASE?!?
I certainly hope so. I am all-in on RG and I have a set itching to get to play.

Also, I want ALL the Xenagos.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:02 pm

I have a friend playing that deck right now. It's a Burning-Tree deck, though, which is going to fold to Infest like crazy.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:05 pm

Next thing you know he'll be jamming four Firemane Avenger in his list.
I bought so many of those.

"Dude, they're totally going to skyrocket after rotation, trust me."

:sweat: :frown: :gonk:

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:06 pm

all of this "folds to infest" and "no aggro anymore because infest" talk is kinda getting to me.

Hasn't aggro always had to deal with sweepers? And this doesn't even get all our stuff, just X/2 or less.

It's not like you'll always face a deck with Infest, and even when you do they still have to draw it. It'll likely be a sideboard card, so you can sneak in game 1 and then not many people put 4x's in their board.

I think the reaction to this being printed is a bit overblown, and is likely just because it's a card going into the current most popular deck.
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:13 pm

Hasn't aggro always had to deal with sweepers?
No. Not on turn 3 in the best deck in the format, anyway, which also happens to have perfect mana. :sherlock:
It's not like you'll always face a deck with Infest, and even when you do they still have to draw it.
It would be retarded for the deck to play anything less than 4. The odds of seeing it in your opening 7 at that point is very good. Not to mention any deck playing 4-of x/3s is going to have a rough time since the
deck also gains Bile Blight too.

Any deck that doesn't go bigger is not going to survive in the meta which will inevitably be mostly mono B.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:15 pm

Hasn't aggro always had to deal with sweepers? And this doesn't even get all our stuff, just X/2 or less.
"This doesn't fuck up our whole deck, only the cards shaped like rectangles."

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:17 pm

The scry Infest is fine, I doubt anyone will be crying about it. We survived a Standard with Supreme Verdict + Terminus, we'll survive this too. Just don't overextend vs. the control deck and collect prize packs.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:18 pm

The scry Infest is fine, I doubt anyone will be crying about it. We survived a Standard with Supreme Verdict + Terminus, we'll survive this too. Just don't overextend vs. the control deck and collect prize packs.
We also don't have Shrine of Burning Rage or really good quality burn like Brimestone Volley. It's not the same. :shrug:

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:24 pm

We didn't have Shrine last Standard season either :( Wizards you're ruining Magic! I demand Lightning Bolt in all formats.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:28 pm

We didn't have Shrine last Standard season either :( Wizards you're ruining Magic! I demand Lightning Bolt in all formats.
We also had better 1drops and one of the best 5drop dragons in a long time, paired with higher quality burn. Magma Jet is great and all but it will never be Brimstone Volley or Bonfire of the Damned.

Before that it was pretty much 100% Shrine winning games.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:30 pm

Reprint Bolt, take off the 4-of limit. Let me play my forty Bolt deck.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:32 pm

We also had better 1drops and one of the best 5drop dragons in a long time, paired with higher quality burn. Magma Jet is great and all but it will never be Brimstone Volley or Bonfire of the Damned.

Before that it was pretty much 100% Shrine winning games.
Agreed, I've been winning obscene amounts of Modern games with Shrine, Koth and 24 burn spells.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:32 pm

"This doesn't fuck up our whole deck, only the cards shaped like rectangles."
This is inaccurate, but fucking hilarious.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:38 pm

No. Not on turn 3 in the best deck in the format, anyway, which also happens to have perfect mana. :sherlock:
It's not like you'll always face a deck with Infest, and even when you do they still have to draw it.
It would be retarded for the deck to play anything less
than 4. The odds of seeing it in your opening 7 at that point is very good. Not to mention any deck playing 4-of x/3s is going to have a rough time since the deck also gains Bile Blight too.

Any deck that doesn't go bigger is not going to survive in the meta which will inevitably be mostly mono B.
One of the reasons mono-black does so well is because they can maindeck a myriad of answers to various things, draw it all via underworld connections, and discard anything not relevant to the matchup at hand to Pack Rat. Drown in Sorrow fucks with Pack Rat BIG TIME. Do you see them both being 4x in the mainboard?

I also would imagine U/W and Esper control would get a huge uptick if everybody else is going mono-black. In a rock/paper/scissors game, wouldn't that make aggro a strong choice?

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:09 pm

It's not like you'
ll always face a deck with Infest, and even when you do they still have to draw it.
It would be retarded for the deck to play anything less than 4. The odds of seeing it in your opening 7 at that point is very good. Not to mention any deck playing 4-of x/3s is going to have a rough time since the deck also gains Bile Blight too.

One of the reasons mono-black does so well is because they can maindeck a myriad of answers to various things, draw it all via underworld connections, and discard anything not relevant to the matchup at hand to Pack Rat. Drown in Sorrow fucks with Pack Rat BIG TIME. Do you see them both being 4x in the mainboard?

I also would imagine U/W and Esper control would get a huge uptick if everybody else is going mono-black. In a rock/paper/scissors game, wouldn't that make aggro a strong choice?
Mono black devotion can/
probably will drop Pack Rats out of the list and play Drown in Sorrow. Rats will move to the sideboard where it can beat UW. It would be foolish not to do so. Desecration Demon still survives DiS, and they could comfortably pick up Erebos and beat down with it. (Especially considering how good he is against UW as well.)

It won't be mono black devotion anymore, it will be mono black control, in which case no, you would be rock where they are paper. UW would be scissors, but only until sideboard.

toddulent
Newcomer

Postby toddulent » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:32 pm

I just want Rubblebelt Raiders to be good.

It probably won't ever be.

Stupid Rubblebelt Raiders.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:33 pm

unfortunately that makes sense :(

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:51 pm

Fate, what we thinkin?

[deck]Creatures: 34
4 Experiment One
4 Dryad Militant
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Gyre Sage
4 Scavenging Ooze
4 Fanatic of Xenagos
3 Boon Satyr
1 Pyrewild Shaman
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
2 Xenagos, God of Revels

Planeswalkers: 4
4 Domri Rade

Lands: 22
22 Land
[/deck]
sadly don't think god is playable in low curve decks, he's more of a ragehammer kinda guy.

[deck]Ragehammer[/deck][/quote]

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:36 pm

It would be retarded for the deck to play anything less than 4. The odds of seeing it in your opening 7 at that point is very good. Not to mention any deck playing 4-of x/3s is going to have a rough time since the deck also gains Bile Blight too.

I also would imagine U/W and Esper control would get a huge uptick if
everybody else is going mono-black. In a rock/paper/scissors game, wouldn't that make aggro a strong choice?
Mono black devotion can/probably will drop Pack Rats out of the list and play Drown in Sorrow. Rats will move to the sideboard where it can beat UW. It would be foolish not to do so. Desecration Demon still survives DiS, and they could comfortably pick up Erebos and beat down with it. (Especially considering how good he is against UW as well.)

It won't be mono black devotion anymore, it will be mono black control, in which case no, you would be rock where they are paper. UW would be scissors, but only until sideboard.
I'm not exactly sure if I am reading all of your ideas correctly, but Pack Rat is not good versus UW control. You would never side it in for that match, though I also don't think you should move Pack Rat from the main at all. -2/-2 sweeper doesn't need to clog the maindeck.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:40 pm

No. Not on turn 3 in the best deck in the format, anyway, which also happens to have
perfect mana. :sherlock:

One of the reasons mono-black does so well is because they can maindeck a myriad of answers to various things, draw it all via underworld connections, and discard anything not relevant to the matchup at hand to Pack Rat. Drown in
Sorrow fucks with Pack Rat BIG TIME. Do you see them both being 4x in the mainboard?

Mono black devotion can/probably will drop Pack Rats out of the list and play Drown in Sorrow. Rats will move to the sideboard where it can beat UW. It would be foolish not to do so. Desecration Demon still survives DiS, and they could comfortably pick up Erebos and beat down with it. (Especially considering how good he is against UW as well.)

I'm not exactly sure if I am reading all of your ideas correctly, but Pack Rat is not good versus UW control. You would never side it in for that match, though I also don't think
you should move Pack Rat from the main at all. -2/-2 sweeper doesn't need to clog the maindeck.
It's good against uw out of the board. They play against control with an indestructible win condition in game 1 and they board out Verdicts, you bring in Pack Rats.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:44 pm

Eh, in general the deck still has too many answers to Pack Rat that are good against the rest of Mono Black. It has some merit out of the board I guess, not something I mind seeing as a UW player.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 pm

You just play it for the inevitability since Desecration Demon is likely to never resolve. They can't counter everything. :shrug:

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:12 pm

I think Pack Rat moving out of the main is a mistake, and mono B players will know better.

toddulent
Newcomer

Postby toddulent » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:53 pm

[sadly don't think god is playable in low curve decks, he's more of a ragehammer kinda guy.

[deck]Ragehammer[/deck]
I am really close to having this done, minus the BNG cards of course.

Are you seeing any Nykthos in the land base? I'm working up from Mono-G Monsters to this and had all the mana dorks except Caryatid. I knew immediately I would need to change them to Caryatid. I notice BTE is missing here. Is she definitely out?

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:59 pm

you're not really a devotion deck without burning-tree emissary, which is a REALLY hard card to play with drowned in sorrow

wdf how are our Mono R decks supposed to deal with that shit, hope they don't sb enough copies because cramped?

If you want to G/r devotion you lose stormbreaths but you play a deck that folds to drowned in sorrow/thoughtseize in general and thats just not what you want to be doing.

I'm pretty sure Fanatic of Xenagos can't go in that build either and that card looks insane.

But yeah Iknow japanese playesr put 2 mutavaults in on 23 lands but thats just been so greedy in my experience. this deck has powerful shit it just needs to cast them, not dick aruond with man lands/nykthos.

DarthStabber
Tire Aficionado

Postby DarthStabber » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:08 am

So I just got a letter from the VA, and apparently I am crazier than I thought. 70% crazy in fact.
thanks to nbw for the sig.
You do need to try to gay it up a little more.

You're like the least gay member of this clan.

And that's counting the fact that you voluntarily have sex with men.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:30 am

So I just got a letter from the VA, and apparently I am crazier than I thought. 70% crazy in fact.
By that do you mean that we gave you 70% Service Connection? If so, good for you...getting assigned >50% is max benefits (good for you now, that is...bro hugs for whatever you went through that resulted in the SC).

And I imagine you were joking, but to clarify, Service Connection has absolutely nothing to do with severity of disease, but rather formulas they run to determine how much at fault the government is for your conditions. You can be totally batshit crazy and be 0% Service Connected--it would just mean that none of your craziness was attributable to government service.
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:44 am

Sooooo...someone is undoubtedly going to try GW or Bant Heroic. Blech. Impressive card, though...I'm glad Wizards is at least doing something with the mechanic.
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:55 am

hey cunto, make news and rumor threads so I don't have to

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:01 am

I did it.

DarthStabber
Tire Aficionado

Postby DarthStabber » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:51 am

By that do you mean that we gave you 70% Service Connection? If so, good for you...getting assigned >50% is max benefits (good for you now, that is...bro hugs for whatever you went through that resulted in the SC).

And I imagine you were joking, but to clarify, Service Connection has absolutely nothing to do with severity of disease, but rather formulas they run to determine how much at fault the government is for your conditions. You can be totally batshit crazy and be 0%
Service Connected--it would just mean that none of your craziness was attributable to government service.
I was definitely joking, but severity is a factor in the formula alongside responsibility. And actually I got 80% total because the VA can somehow add 70, 20 (knee problems), and 10 (other knee problems) and get 80. I know there's more to the formula than just addition, but it looks weird. If you ever see me in person you'll recognize me as the tall twitchy ball of nerves talking about 10 decibels louder than situation merits.
thanks to nbw for the sig.
You do need to try to gay it up a little more.

You're like the least gay member of this clan.

And that's counting the fact that you voluntarily have sex with men.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:50 am

Can we has Blightning reprint plz?

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:00 am

I'd imagine not while Rakdos' Return is in the format.

I wonder if there's an RB Devotion deck making enormous Returns.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:09 am

Good ole Rakdos Return

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:18 am

Eh, in general the deck still has too many answers to Pack Rat that are good against the rest of Mono Black. It has some merit out of the board I guess, not something I mind seeing as a UW player.
If you control UW and they miss land drops; Rats are good. I prefer Lifebain Zombie as it gets through to kill Elspeths or Jaces. Also getting to look at their hand sets up my plays for me. There are points for and against for running them or not. Detention Sphere is the main Reason.
Author of Gunning for Tactical/Practical - http://diestoremoval.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2103
Current Decks
Commander- Kaalia (Dega) and Nekusar (Grixis)
Modern- UB Faeries and Splinter Twin
Standard- Mono-black Devotion
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:06 am

Been doing some thinking about UB Tempo. Cards I like:

Creatures
Agent of Fates
Artisan of Forms
Nightveil Spectre
Nighthowler
Pain Seer
Triton Fortune Hunter

Enablers
Boon of Erobos
Fate Foretold
Gift of Orzhova (Sideboard)
Ordeal of Thassa
Triton Tactics

Other Spells
Syncopate
Thoughtseize
Ultimate Price
Warped Physique
Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
Jace, Architect of Thought
Hero's Downfall

Will need to ponder it further and try and see if I can deduce a curve ans structure that I like. The lack of Turn 1 and 2 plays is my main concern, as you're not really a tempo deck if you're not committing something to the board on those turns; Judge's Familiar or Cloudfin Raptor aren't very appealing without the MonoU synergies; Tormented Hero and Rakdos Cackler just aren't very good in this archetype.

The Blue enchantments
seem pretty nice; they trigger heroic and draw you cards at a reasonable price. Putting +1/+1 counters on Pain Seer helps a lot too. Triton Tactics is amazing in creature matchups. I imagine it is pretty easy to build this deck to romp over creature / midrange / ramp decks; and been UB you *should* be able to construct a viable sideboard plan for Control post-board.

Can you make the mana work, needing UU and BB? I don't know.

More to come.

No one can fight the tide forever.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:07 am

I don't want to play in a world where Blightning is around. Ugh.

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yarpus » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:12 am

Toughtseize is important T1 play for tempo which is why I'd go for black-oriented route with Tormented Hero.

Creatures (14):
4 Tormented Hero
4 Pain Seer
4 Nightveil Specter
2 Nighthowler

Other Spells (18)
2 Toughtseize
4 Fate Foretold
4 Ultimate Price
4 Syncopate
4 Far // Away
Last edited by Yarpus on Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”