Primer: R/w/x Aggro

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Elspeth is like, ¥3000 ($30) here. I'm broke.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:29 pm

You could treat yourself to her for Xmas :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:36 pm

Lmao all I can do is laugh.

Brought this to Ptq and went 1-2 drop.

Played 8 games of magic, saw ONE DRAGON. The entire time.
Burn baby burn!

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Is anybody feeling the lack of a 4-drop in these builds? For those wanting to play Chandra, I guess that fits the bill. But otherwise, going Phoenix t3, then t4 playing an assortment of whatever 1, 2, 3 cmc cards are in your hand, and waiting to drop dragon t5 seems like a slow curve to me. The lists are also sitting at 20 creatures but aren't as "control" as some of the pyro lists. There's no added advantage to the spells you're slinging the way YP$ gives you. I also think lists with 2 or more LI between main and side want at least 24 creatures.

Some relevant 4-drops:
Chandra, Pyromaster - I think we all know the power of the card, but she isn't necessarily for every build. This list seems set somewhere between spell-based and permanent-based, so she's probably mediocre here, though she can shine with her Phoenix.

Firemane Avenger - Everybody's &
quot;I wish this was good" card. It probably isn't. It's slow with no protection. With LI it's obviously a 4/4 flyer with that great helix battalion ability, but how often are we turning on battalion?

Fanatic of Mogis - A card we all expect in devotion builds but not necessarily in builds splitting space with creatures and spells. This probably depends on your number of Reckoner mainboard.

Tajic, Blade of the Legion - This one's interesting. He doesn't do anything the turn he comes down, but he is Indestructible so he's more likely to stick around. This is similar to Firemane where we need to question how often Battalion will trigger, but it's worth noting that he's a 3/3 Indestructible with LI on the field.

Ogre Battledriver - blech.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:12 am

Dude I agree 100%. I was thinking back to Dos Rakis and was like man....I really miss Falkenwrath at 4.

I was thinking about splashing black. You would lose the scry land but is it really the end of the world?

Then we could have Excava as a 4-drop and run Dreadbore, Doom Blade/Ultimate Price and Thoughtseize. Though mana might not support Thoughtseize if you need it early.
Burn baby burn!

vundo
Newcomer

Postby vundo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:18 am

Hmm my testing went alright. I tested Chandra and Assemble but didn't have time to try Elspeth. I ran horribly versus Esper and Mono Black (1-4 and 0-5). Most of my testing when to Mono U where we ended with like a 55% winrate. Watching MDU's videos and reading lazerburns reports, I'm inclined to think last night was a freak accident. I think I mulled all 10 games against Esper/Mono Black and flooded a ton versus U/x. One problem I had with blue was just an inability to close out games. SBD kills them fast but often I just had to hold it back to not die to non-MoW creatures. U/x has more creatures than removal. Most of my wins from balanced games (neither player getting flooded or screwed) came from high value overloaded Mizzium Mortars or an aggressive curve (Ash Zealot/Phoenix + removal). A lot of the times I just had a lot of removal and a dragon or lots of creatures and not enough removal. Just watched a little bit of
GP and Open coverage and White Weenie seems prevalent. I might switch back to Pyrodragons depending on the final results and more testing throughout this week.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:33 am

Shame about the results guys, dpaine88 did you get heaps of testing in prior PTQ or did you just play that single FNM? I usually play a number of games with any given deck list on MODO to reduce the variance factor when testing, sometime I find that a particular play style doesn't work me for example: Big Boros, Br Aggro and Rb Aggro.

I know usually when someone else pull tons of results with one list we assume we can do the same, but that is not the case - we all have our own incline sequencing habits and trigger points in using removal or burns - if those habits/play style doesn't suit the deck your testing you won't win.

@vundo try the 18 creatures Pyrodragon list with tons of removal, its quite strong - I like lands so I'll still be pushing towards this direction.
Last edited by magicdownunder on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:45 am

Dude I agree 100%. I was thinking back to Dos Rakis and was like man....I really miss Falkenwrath at 4.

I was thinking about splashing black. You would lose the scry land but is it really the end of the world?

Then we could have Excava as a 4-drop and run Dreadbore, Doom Blade/Ultimate Price and Thoughtseize. Though mana might not support Thoughtseize if you need it early.
re: losing the scry land. The old Dos Rakis lists that ran Reckoner in the board played X number of Godless Shrine. You could sub in Temple of Silence in that spot instead.

That's a different thread, though.

EDIT: Worked out a brew. Check your PMs, DPaine.
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:36 am

Shame about the results guys, dpaine88 did you get heaps of testing in prior PTQ or did you just play that single FNM? I usually play a number of games with any given deck list on MODO to reduce the variance factor when testing, sometime I find that a particular play style doesn't work me for example: Big Boros, Br Aggro and Rb Aggro.

I know usually when we someone else pull tons of results with one list we assume we can do the same, but that is not the case - we all have our own incline sequencing habits and trigger points in using removal or burns - if those habits/play style doesn't suit the deck your testing you won't win.

@vundo try the 18 creatures Pyrodragon list with tons of removal, its quite strong - I like lands so I'll still be
pushing towards this direction.
I saw you were experiencing a little bit of what I was talking about with the no lands, draw dragons / stick on three, draw dragons in spite of 25 lands.

Maybe 25 land decks with a high curve and no draw are just like that? I don't know.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:46 am

Yep, that happen quite a bit (sadly) heck if you watch that last 8-Man I posted I casted ZERO dragons.

In the following 8-man I proceed to cast 2-Dragons (variance for ya), overall I don't mind drawing lands since I prefer to cast multiple spells each turn and if I'm going to lose due to land I prefer to lose to manaflood rather then manasrew.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:52 am

That's why I pointed the need of mana sink in this deck, especially with 25 lands.

Can you think of something other than Sunhome Guildmage?

BTW I played 5 8 mans today, won 2, 2-1 3rd and lost 2 in g1 (however I think was just unlucky. Vs mono blue I missed him on 1 life for multipple turns, then missplayed with LI blink (need to blink before combat), vs BRW had assemble AND elspeth while on 6 life, he cast rconer, clear the board and attacked with keyrune. Done this while topdecking read the bones ...)
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Keftenk

Postby Keftenk » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:14 am

That's why I pointed the need of mana sink in this deck, especially with 25 lands.

BTW I played 5 8 mans today, won 2, 2-1 3rd and lost 2 in g1 (however I think was just unlucky. Vs mono blue I missed him on 1 life for multipple turns, then missplayed with LI blink (need to blink before combat), vs BRW had assemble AND elspeth while on 6 life, he cast rconer, clear the board and attacked with keyrune. Done this while topdecking read the bones ...)
What about the Hammer?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:03 am

We don't need anymore manasinks, SBD, Elspeth and Mortars vaults are more then enough.

Current data (matches undefeated) four 8-Mans (not the biggest pool esp. since I took 1 split):

Bx Devotion (WIN: 4 matches)
Ux Devotion (WIN: 4 matches)
Esper (WIN: 1 match)
RW Devotion (WIN: 1 match)
W Control (WIN: 1 match)

Thoughts:
  • I'm not sure if I like Elspeth, every time I cast her she ends up dying right after (I've yet to see her survive for two turns).
  • I'm thinking about replacing the RoR for 3rd Last Breath like how Lazerburn suggested earlier, I find that I lose more rounds to thassa then to MoW so with LB I can at least deal with walls.
Last Time
[deck=MDU's Boros Sun Legions]Lands 25
11 Mountains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Mutavault
2 Boros Guildgate

Creatures 19
Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
3 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Boros Reckoner
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells 10
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
2 Mizzium Mortars

Enchantments 5
4 Chained to the Rocks
1 Legion's Initiative

Planeswalker 1
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Sideboard 15
2 Boros Reckoner
2 Last Breath
1 Flames of the Firebrand
1 Rod of Ruin
3 Boros Charm
3 Skullcrack
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Mizzium Mortars[/deck]
Standard Elimination G1: Boros Sun Legion vs Bx Devotion (Event 6430815)
Standard Elimination G2: Boros Sun Legion vs Esper (Event 6430815)
Standard Elimination G3: Boros Sun Legion vs Bx Devotion (Event 6430815
Here is the next set running the same list (I have 2 more after this one):

[url=https://www.
youtube.com/watch?v=Hs7GDcyHgOU&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLBO2Co_8Gb6yuAVJnU1IvIVH71wqDYODu]Standard Elimination G1: Boros Sun Legion vs Bx Devotion (Event 6432208)[/url]
Standard Elimination G2: Boros Sun Legion vs RW Devotion (Event 6432208)
Standard Elimination G3: Boros Sun Legion vs Ux Devotion (Event 6432208)

I'll try swapping RoR for the 3rd LB tomorrow.

EDIT: I was corrected the first three are not manasinks
Last edited by magicdownunder on Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:46 am

Top 8'd a GPT with MDU's deck today. More than a bit pissed with how it ended up. Report later on tonight.

On Elspeth: I think she is win more, but she is decent. I think maybe Elspeth and Legion's Initiative are a bit too cute and should be replaced.

vundo
Newcomer

Postby vundo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:01 am

I really liked Chandra because she provided a different angle of a threat. In this deck though, her falter isn't as impressive when our phoenixes and dragons get in regardless. Similarly, Elspeth provides that same planeswalker angle and is just a bit better at killing people and closing out games. The mana difference is pretty big but its probably worth it for her raw power. Chandra usually gets a few more activations in than Elspeth but I think 3~6 soldiers or a timely fatty remover outweighs 2~3 goblin shortcutters.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:27 am

Top 8'd a GPT with MDU's deck today. More than a bit pissed with how it ended up. Report later on tonight.

On Elspeth: I think she is win more, but she is decent. I think maybe Elspeth and Legion's Initiative are a bit too cute and should be replaced.
First things first, WELCOME BACK to Big Boros!

Could you update the primer with the list and the report once you type it up :smileup:.

Also I think LI has proven itself, its just like Shaman except its gives all your cards protection to Last breath and can dodge sweepers.

Elspeth on the other hand.... man she isn't doing what I want her to do....
I was thinking about replacing her for Assemble the Legions or Chandra but I feel weird running only 1 Chandra... thoughts? (gah I forked out $10 for her I'm going run her for a few more games till I'm absolutely sure she is horrible)

EDIT: Maybe LI really is too cute... back to 2x Chandra plan? (vundo, I know you tested the 2x Chandra list - you said the Bx and Esper MU was bad, but in theory 2x Chandra should of made those MU better then the LI + Elsepth version - how did they beat you so much?)
Last edited by magicdownunder on Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:52 am

Will do. Thank you very much for the list by the way. If it's cool with you, I'm just going to play your deck lists for the foreseeable future. In exchange, I'll try to write testing notes and like / comment your videos. Is it cool with you if I add some (or all?) of your videos to the primer too?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:59 am

Will do. Thank you very much for the list by the way. If it's cool with you, I'm just going to play your deck lists for the foreseeable future. In exchange, I'll try to write testing notes and like / comment your videos. Is it cool with you if I add some (or all?) of your videos to the primer too?
The more PR I get the more extra cash I get so I should be thanking you for doing all that :).

I think it will much too much hassle to add all the videos so just do some (or all if ya bothered), what are your thoughts on that Elspeth problem we have? (I for one will keep trying, I only played four 8-Mans with her so far so the pool isn't deep enough, but I'm not
impressed so far)

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:40 pm

What about the Hammer?
I like this idea,
going to try it :)

Keftenk

Postby Keftenk » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:23 pm

Or...Aurelia's Fury? But...that card can be so ehhhh...

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:39 pm

I know usually when someone else pull tons of results with one list we assume we can do the same, but that is not the case - we all have our own incline sequencing habits and trigger points in using removal or burns - if those habits/play style doesn't suit the deck your testing you won't win.

@vundo try the 18 creatures Pyrodragon list with tons of removal, its quite strong - I like lands so I'll still be pushing
towards this direction.
Did not get in "heaps" of testing. I guess I felt pretty comfortable since I top16'd a 5k with Adrian's original list in October and it isn't THAT different from these lists. Just 3-4 more creatures.

I wish I had more practice vs Mono Blue as I played a pretty well known dude Ross Merriam round 2 and he got me good. I just didn't have any threats at all. Tons of removal but his Thassa scry got him what he needed while I just flooded out without seeing a single creature.

Then played this weird Bant list and once again I just didn't have enough threats to get through until he got his Rev. Went like Plant into Voice, Into Smiter into Wurm into Rev both games I lost.

It kills me to say this but maybe I am not on the skill level JUST YET for this deck. I really thrive with more creatures and post Board this deck is very threat-light.

Maybe I am wrong but I always feel like I get so much more value with removal when I have a threat out.
In lots of the games I had answers but I would just answer their threat and not have any threats to take advantage of an open board.

Its possibly something more aggresive would be the right call for me personally, but I just felt like since I did so good with the very similar deck, but maybe those extra threats made the difference.

I will also say prop to MDU for making your plays that seem correct so fuckin fast and rarely mess up. I see now why you win so much. You are very good.
Burn baby burn!

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:07 pm

So this is where I'm at - it's untested, RL has been most needy of my time this weekend :) Cliffes Notes for the lazy ones - I brought back Chandra :)
Latest list
[deck=MDU's Boros Legion tweaked by LaZer]Lands 25
12 Mountains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Mutavault
1 Boros Guildgate

Creatures 19
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Boros Reckoner
3 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells 10
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
2 Mizzium Mortars

Enchantments 5
4 Chained to the Rocks

Thighs 2
2 Chandra

Sideboard 15
2 Boros Reckoner
3 Last Breath
3 Skullcrack
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Charm
1 Flames Of The Firebrand
1 Assemble The Legion
[/deck]

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Dont think we need 25 lands with 3 dragons only.

Also LI solves Last Breat issue - it is very hot card in gp right now, 12 in mb right now in GP
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:58 pm

OK, 1 land out, 1 LI in :)

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:24 am

Do we need flames in sb when we have chandra mb?

I tested singleton Glare of heresy and it was good. Maybe safe option in wear/tear? Or 2nd assemble vs black?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:40 am

I've actually got the 2nd Assemble in there over the FotF at the moment. Trying a 2nd LI over the 3rd Charm too. I'm favouring the second LI and Assemble cos while I like Wear/Tear and Glare I don't like singletons. I'm actually pretty happy against the big 3 (Esper, Ux, Bx) now :)

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:48 am

In recent two GPS and SCG there is no esper anymore, just UW. We need sb plan for UW, as it isnt the best matchup.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:07 am

I'm starting with this Pedros - 4 Chains - 2 Mizz - 2 Reckoner + 3 Crack + 2 Charm + 2 Assemble + 1 LI - thoughts?

EDIT Glare could be very strong here too

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:36 am

Just wanted to point out that UW is easier then Esper for the 4x Dragon variant.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:47 am

Just wanted to point out that UW is easier then Esper for the 4x Dragon variant.
I think it's significantly harder thar Esper. Esper has to draw perfectly, or you are taking chunks out of their life total until you can grind them out.

Uw actually plays spells.

Azorious Charm fucks up your tempo and denies you land draws, so you won't hit five lands on time.

Supreme Verdict makes sure your dragon (when he arrives late to the party) will attack alone.

Celestial Flare. Rage Tears.

Also, Elspeth -3.

The are playing azorious charms instead of cipt lands. I hate hate hate that card / deck.

Keftenk

Postby Keftenk » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:57 am

I always Jet/Strike my Phoenix's/Zealots (depends on the situation actually), and Cacklers when they charm my shit. Assuming I have at least another threat card in hand or on the field.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:05 am

I always Jet/Strike my Phoenix's/Zealots (depends on the situation actually), and Cacklers when they charm my shit. Assuming I have at least another threat card in hand or on the field.
I've considered that, but I think it's a poor use of resources.

Keftenk

Postby Keftenk » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:12 am

It has back fired, for sure. Though the more you can properly analyze the situation it can pay off. Doing it more times in practice only helps for when its the real deal. Knowing the deck inside and out helps too, heh.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:28 am

@Johnny_Spike

I've been having a better time against UW then Esper, your cards require more unique answers (they need to fill conditions) rather then Esper all-in-one doom blades or HDF.

Either way, if I recall your previous post you'll agree that control is still in our favor - I'm still more concern about Bx then control.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:32 am

@Johnny_Spike

I've been having a better time against UW then Esper, your cards require more unique answers (they need to fill conditions) rather then Esper all-in-one doom blades or HDF.

Either way, if I recall your previous post you'll agree that control is still in our favor - I'm still more concern about Bx then control.
Depends on opponents / draws. More on this later.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:45 am

I've considered that, but I think it's a poor use of resources.
It is a VERY corner-case situation. I've only done it a few times, and only in situations where almost any non-land top-deck OTHER than the one they Azo Charm there or the Shock used to kill the Cackler/Satyr would win me the game.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:48 am

Dont think we need 25 lands with 3 dragons only.

Also LI solves Last Breat issue - it is very hot card in gp right now, 12 in mb right now in GP
That is a great observation.

@Jonny, GOod job today mate
Burn baby burn!

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:04 am

GPT Shizuoka Report 12/ 8/ 2013

Last GPT before GP: Shizuoka. I finished 8th, which is my second consecutive GPT top 8 this season. I'm feeling relatively confident going into the GP on the 21st. Unfortunately I'll only have one BYE, but such is life. My goal for this GP is to have a better record than my last two (5-4) and I'd be totally stoked if I could make Day 2.

Here's what I played yesterday:

[deck]MagicDownUnder's Big Boros

Lands 25
11 Mountains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Mutavault
2 Boros Guildgate

Creatures 20
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Boros Reckoner
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells 9
3 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
2 Mizzium Mortars

Enchantments 5
4 Chained to the Rocks
1 Legion's Initiative

Planeswalker 1
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Sideboard 15
2 Boros
Reckoner
2 Last Breath
1 Rod of Ruin
3 Boros Charm
3 Skullcrack
2 Assemble the Legion
2 Mizzium Mortars[/deck]

There were 44 players for the day. Three of my friends attended too, including forum member solemn10.

Round 1: VS UWR Control (guy from my LGS, I'm about 60% against him)

Game 1: I'm on the play and keeps a reasonable 7, but he just has every card including Azorious Charm (my least favorite card in standard) and 2x [card]Warleader's Helix[/card]. He ultimates [card]Elspeth, Sun's Champion[/card] with 9 tokens on the board and I concede.

Sideboard: +3 Boros Charm, +3 Skullcrack, -2 Boros Reckoner, -2 Mizzium Mortars, -2 [card:
1an5hz5q]Chained to the Rocks[/card] (left two in because he plays reckoner post SB)

Game 2: Keep 7 on the play. I flood out with five lands in a row, no dragons. He has perfect draws again, and shows me 4x [card]Sphinx's Revelation[/card] in hand with both walkers and Aetherling on the board for the concession.
0-1-0

Round 2: VS MUD

Game 1: He's on the play and we both keep 7. I get him to 4, stuck on 4 land with the dragon in hand, but I draw Cacklers and Satyrs rather than drawing something useful, he lands a huge master of waves (which was a mistake, he should have just made his guys unblockable to win a turn earlier) but I draw nothing and he gets me.

Sideboard: +3 [card]Boros Charm[/
card], +2 Last Breath, +1 Rod of Ruin, +2 Mizzium Mortars -2 Boros Reckoner, -2 Firedrinker Satyr, -4 Rakdos Cackler

Game 2: I play the beatdown, hit my dragon on time, but he cracks back with Nightveil Spectre and flips a Mizzium Mortars. This guy was actually playing Unknown Shores (tech?) so he could cast the Mortars and kill my dragon. Even though I was on the recieving end, it was too exciting of a play to be angry about. I top another dragon FTW.

Game 3 Play the control. Kill everything. Get there.
1-1-0

Round 3: VS Jund
:
Game 1: I'm on the play. I play satyr, he plays thoughtseize. I smack him, he plays overgrown tomb (shock in) > Hexproof plant. I beat down while he whifs on lands.

Sideboard: +3 Boros Charm, +3 Skullcrack, +2 Assemble the Legion, -2 Boros Reckoner, -4 Stormbreath Dragon, -1 Magma Jet, -1 Boros Guildgate (I misidentified this as B/g Devotion).

Game 2: My sideboarding was completely incorrect because I thought he was on B/g. T4 Dragon > T5 Dragon is gross.

Sideboard:+3 Boros Charm, +2 Skullcrack, +2 Assemble the Legion +2 [card]Boros
Reckoner[/card], +2 Mizzium Mortars, -4 Rakdos Cackler, - 4 Ash Zealot, -3 Magma Jet

Game 3 Aggro start with 2x Satyr into Phoenix into reckoner into T5 Double Charm for the concession (him on 1 life).
2-1-0

Round 4: VS RW Devotion (deck check)

Game 1: He's on the play. I mull to 6, he mulls to 5. My draws are terrible, and he has BTE chain into early dragon.

Sideboard: +2 Boros Reckoner, +2 Mizzium Mortars, +2 Boros Charm, -2 Firedrinker Satyr, -4 Rakdos Cackler

Game 2: He sticks on
two lands, I just get him.

Game 3 I'm on a mull to 6 on the draw.We Chain each other's reckoners, but I have two dragons and he has none.

3-1-0

Round 5: VS All Foil Esper

Game 1: We both keep 7, I'm on the play. It's a very back and forth game, but I have two chains rotting in my hand. His life total is low enough that he has to cast Aetherling without mana up. I hit my 6th land with [card]Elspeth, Sun's Champion[/card] and two chains in hand. I make the decision to play Elspeth and tick down, to permanently deal with his Aetherling and avoid Elspeth being countered (perhaps incorrect?). I was worried about Dsphere on Chain if I Chained and attacked with mutavault. He
plays a mix of Revs and Verdicts / Dspheres for the next 5 turns, but I eventually get him.

Sideboard: +3 Skullcrack, +3 Boros Charm, -2 Boros Reckoner, -4 Chained to the Rocks

Game 2: Azorious Charms T2 + 3 destroy my tempo enough for him to stabilize. I really hate that card.

Game 3 He stumbles on three land, I beat face with dragon, making it monstrous FTW.

4-1-0

Round 6: VS B/R Aggro (forum member Solemn10)

ID: I actually feel really bad about this. We did the math and determined we would both Top 8 if we ID'd, but there was one other player that could mathematically get to 13 points and then it would come down to breakers. Our breakers were much better than his, so we thought we were safe. Somehow he beat
both of us for 7th seed, I was knocked to 8th, Solemn10 was knocked to 9th. Sorry Bro.
4-1-1

Quarter Finals: VS Esper (eventual winner)

Game 1: I'm on the play, we both keep 7. This guy couldn't have better draws if he stacked his deck. Three Devour Flesh in a row, the doom blades, [card]hero's downfall[/card] etc.

Sideboard: +3 Skullcrack, +3 Boros Charm, -2 Boros Reckoner, -4 Chained to the Rocks

Game 2: Game 2 plays out the same, except he answers T5, T6, T7 dragons.

Guy was super nice / friendly and humble, and admitted he had god draws, so it's hard to be mad about it. I wished him luck in the next round and tried to be a good loser.

4-2-1

Then,
what happened next makes me monstrous.
Rant
They brought me 4 (4! :flame: ) prize packs. My response: "That's it?" (I realize this is rude / ungrateful, but srsly dafuq) The event charged Y1500 for entry and had 44 players for a gross income of Y66000 and pays out Y12800 (retail, we know they get pack cheaper than that) in prizes? Total rip off. The event I top 8'd last week had 50% less entry, 50% more prizes. I've never Top 8'd an event and lost money before. Absolute garbage. Prize packs had nothing but garbage to boot. I was the saltiest cracker in Japan, packed my things up and went home.
Thoughts on the Deck:

I think this deck is softer to control than we thought it would be. I think one of the resons is that we've lost cards like Chandra, Pyromaster and [
card]Firedrinker Satyr[/card]. I cast [card]Legion's Initiative[/card] twice, and it was useless. Getting in for a couple extra damage is nice, but I think we're diluting the deck too much. Elspeth was good when I cast her (once all day), but I think I could have won without her. Other games she rotted in my hand. I do like the additional white sources she forces us to play though.

Moving forward:

We need Chandra, Pyromaster. She is our only means of card advantage.

Boros Reckoner is not good in the MD. He is only good vs Hexproof Plant decks and small aggro.

[card]Legion's Initiative[/card] / [card]Elspeth, Sun's Champion[/card] are cute / win more respectively.

Recommended Updates:

[deck] Lands 25
11 Mountains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Mutavault
2 Boros Guildgate

nCreatures 20
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells 9
4 Lightning Strike
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Magma Jet

Enchantments 4
4 Chained to the Rocks

Planeswalker 2
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Flames of the Firebrand
2 Last Breath
4 Boros Charm
2 Assemble the Legion
1x Elspeth, Sun's Champion[/deck]

Feedback welcome and appreciated as always. Thanks for reading.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:25 am

Updated the Primer today too.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:40 am

Very good post Johnny_Spike, your suggested deck-list is solid except you HAVE to play 4x Magma Jet in a 25 land deck (we can make our own luck with MJ) I would cut one Firedrinker Satyr for it because he is a huge liability at times.

I'm a bit iffy on 0x SkullCrack with Black still in the meta game, but I do understand the love for non-condition burn spells.

In regards to the Packs, can you trade them in to the LGS for store credit? In MODO I think of each pack as $3.37.

(on other new, I won another 8-Man which qualified me for MOCS1 (2014) Prelim)

EDIT: No LI for anti-Last Breath Tech?

Return to “Archives”