Primer: R/w/x Aggro

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Yarpus » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:13 pm

You all know nothing about the true art.
Get on my level.

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yarpus » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:15 pm

I'd actually turn this image into Primer's Logo and rename it to "Big Boros & Big Dicks"
Or just Massive, Throbbing Boros.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:19 pm

I went 5-1 with the deck tonight :)

This is what I ran

[deck]Land

12 Mountain
1 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple Of Triumph
4 Mutavault

Creatures
4 Firedrinker
4 Cackler
4 Zealot
4 Phoenix
4 Dragon

Thighs
3 Chandra, BCIS

Spells
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
2 Chained To The Rocks
2 Boros Charm

S/B
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Chained To The Rocks
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Peak Eruption
2 Assemble The Legions
1 Wear/Tear
[/deck]
Match 1 BG 2-0 I'm not sure if my opp kept poor hands or was just a very poor player as G1 I only see 2 Reaper Of The Wilds and run him over and G2 I see a T1 Thoughtseize and a Doom Blade and proceed to run him over again.

Match
2 Esper 2-0 I run him over both games.

Match 3 G/R 2-0 G/R Slivers as above

Match 4 Dega 2-1 G1 He wins comfortably.
I take out 4 Firedrinker and 4 Lightning Strike and put in 2 Chained, 2 Mortars and 4 Peak Eruption
G2 I Chain his T3 Reckoner and play around his removal.
G3 He floods and I see my first Dragon which flyes over Elspeth for the win :)

Match 5 B/R 0-2 This was just one of those games :)
G1 is not pretty - T1 Thoughtseize, take my Satyr, T2 Thoughtseize something else followed up by removal, a Whip and 2 Merchants :(
G2 I mulligan 4 mountains, a Phoenix, Chandra and a Dragon, thinking it too slow. Thoughts anyone? I then keep 6 with one land, a one drop, a Zealot, a Chained, my single Wear/Tear and 2 Magma Jets which proves to be a fatal
mistake as I die on T10 having still not drawn a land :)

Match 6 B/R/G 2-1
G1 I win after Chaining his Hydra to a rock :)
I take out my 1 drops and Lightning Strikes and put in 2 Mortars, 2 Chains, 4 Reckoners and 4 Peak Eruption. I'm not 100% sure this was right.
G2 I keep 3 land, 3 Reckoners and Chandra but somehow manage to lose as my opp kills all 4 Reckoners and beats me up with a Reaper and a 5/5 Ooze.
G3 I get off to a great start with T2 Zealot T3 Peak Eruption T4 Zealot with mana open for Boros Charm and he can't come back from this :)

Best cards of the night - Mutavault and Peak Eruption - thanks to Zemanjaski for the tech :) I might drop an Assemble for another Wear/
Tear in the board.

As far as names go I'm of the belief that all Red decks should have 'Wins' tagged on the end of the name in homage to the mighty RDW - AIR should have been AIRW for example :) With that in mind how about BAW (Boros Aggro Wins) or BDW (Boros Dragon Wins) or BLSW (Boros Lighting Storm Wins) :D
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:44 pm

I was just sayin JS I have been playing Big Boros the past few weeks and it runs like 4 Weird, 4 Reckoner, 4 Dragon and 4 Pheonix.

Great write up and read bro, very very well done!
Burn baby burn!

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:11 am

Since it's only slightly big and only slightly white how about...

wait for it...

Biggish Borosish

Deck Wins

:D
Last edited by Zooligan on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

salmonman78
Newcomer

Postby salmonman78 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:12 am

Well I think the Boros we all are heading towards is a "Big" variety, just we each are finding our own ways of getting there.

I did LOL at the name pasting comment.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:53 am

Decent article by AS on the deck on SCG Premium.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:38 am

Yo nerdboy I love the new banner. Looks sweet. What font did you use?
Sig by NBW.

Wrathberry2
Newcomer

Postby Wrathberry2 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:02 am

I went 5-1 with the deck tonight :)

This is what I ran

[deck]Land

12 Mountain
1 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple Of Triumph
4 Mutavault

Creatures
4 Firedrinker
4 Cackler
4 Zealot
4 Phoenix
4 Dragon

Thighs
3 Chandra, BCIS

Spells
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
2 Chained To The Rocks
2 Boros Charm

S/B
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Chained To The Rocks
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Peak Eruption
2 Assemble The Legions
1 Wear/Tear
[/deck]

Match 5 B/R 0-2 This was just one of those games
G1 is not pretty - T1 Thoughtseize, take my Satyr, T2 Thoughtseize something else followed up by removal, a Whip and 2 Merchants :(
G2 I mulligan 4 mountains, a Phoenix, Chandra and a Dragon, thinking it too slow. Thoughts anyone? I then keep 6 with one land, a one drop, a Zealot, a Chained, my single Wear/Tear and 2 Magma Jets which proves to be a fatal mistake as I die on T10 having still not drawn a land :)
u should have kept the first hand. sure its not perfect, but at least it lets you play magic. mb you draw a 2-drop in turn 2. i made the expirience that its only worth to take a muligan, if you are really fuked with your hand.. like 1 land 4 dragons, 2 chandras whatever.
but it can get so much worse if you muligan a playable hand.. i just went away from
the strategy to somehow get the perfect hand.. i had too many times where i took a muligan with a playable hand, just to get a much worse one or unplayable one...

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:54 am

@ Wrathberry2 - Agreed. I learnt my lesson here :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Lots of videos added today.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:09 pm

As for BTE in Dev decks I have seen more people want it just because it's a "free" spell to pump devotion.
Ah, see, it's only free if you do cast something you would have cast anyway with the RG mana. Like Lightning Strike or Magma Jet. Can't cast Zealot off it, can't cast Frostburn Wierd. And you may not want to cast burn then because you should hold that to recur your birds should they get nuked.

salmonman78
Newcomer

Postby salmonman78 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:15 pm

As for BTE in Dev decks I have seen more people want it just because it's a "free" spell to pump devotion.
Ah, see, it's only free if you do cast something you would have cast anyway with the RG mana. Like Lightning Strike or Magma Jet. Can't cast Zealot off it, can't cast Frostburn Wierd. And you may not want to cast burn then because you should hold that to recur your birds should they get nuked.
EXACTLY!! But I have seen people who will boast about it being that way, then have a "oh, I guess I can't" when you mention you
can't get back the GG or RR from it landing.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:34 pm

It's a font called Existence. I think I found it on fontsquirrel.com

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:48 pm

Ah, see, it's only free if you do cast something you would have cast anyway with the RG mana. Like Lightning Strike or Magma Jet. Can't cast Zealot off it, can't cast Frostburn Wierd. And you may not want to cast burn then because you should hold that to recur your birds should they get nuked.[
/quote]

EXACTLY!! But I have seen people who will boast about it being that way, then have a "oh, I guess I can't" when you mention you can't get back the GG or RR from it landing.
See, I was right!

Wait, what was my point?

Oh, yes. That just because something is in a pro list (or not in a pro list, in the case of Magma Jet in Sullivan/Jensen) doesn't necessarily mean it should(n't) be...

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:52 pm

It's a font called Existence. I think I found it on fontsquirrel.com
Serious Nerdly, make playmats. I'd buy one!

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Ah, see, it's only free if you do cast something you would have cast anyway with the RG mana. Like Lightning Strike or Magma
Jet. Can't cast Zealot off it, can't cast Frostburn Wierd. And you may not want to cast burn then because you should hold that to recur your birds should they get nuked.
EXACTLY!! But I have seen people who will boast about it being that way, then have a "oh, I guess I can't" when you mention you can't get back the GG or RR from it landing.
See, I was right!

Wait, what was my point?

Oh, yes. That just because something is in a pro list (or not in a pro list, in the case of Magma Jet in Sullivan/Jensen) doesn't necessarily mean it should(n't) be...
While I agree that pro-lists are not the be all and end all, I would pose the question to you, what cards in their list are worse than magma jets? I think the scry is nice, but two damage doesn't do very much.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Well yeah, that's the big question isn't it?

Two damage doesn't do much, but having the ability to cast your Chandra or Skinny Lizard wait for two turns because of mana availability sucks too.

I don't have a ready answer, but I do think the conundrum is worth exploring. It feels to me like the bigger the deck goes, the more important that scry becomes to fix your mana and your threat sequencing.

We do have the scry 1 on the GG (glorified guildgates), and that may be enough. Maybe. I don't know, and I don't have enough experience to really evaluate the situation competently. I'm just going off gut feeling here and trying to stir up some analytical discussion.

salmonman78
Newcomer

Postby salmonman78 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:18 pm

I think keeping them in for Game 1 of a match to see what you're facing isn't a bad idea. The scry 2 is great, there are still a few good targets for them as well.

I went 3-1 in regular last FNM and then 1-1 in Top 8 losing in the Top 4. Magma Jet was a great card in most of the match ups but was quickly sided out when the opponent was playing creatures that had a native 3 toughness they couldn't touch. It's a very meta decision as to how you want to use it.

But game 2 if you opponent had nothing they could touch, side out for mortars or such. In fact depending on how the first game went it could be swapped ideally for Mortars, Skullcrack, whatever we needed.

And speaking of Sideboards I got the 4th Reckoner and Dragon I needed, I have no idea what I am going to side out for games now at times.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:24 pm

@ Tyreal: You could play:Scourge of Vraskas, Warleader's Helix and Boros Guildgates as budget options until you can afford the good stuff.
I don't know, I still have my devotion red deck that I might use until I can afford 'the good stuff'... Decisions!

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:56 pm

@ Tyreal: You could play:Scourge of Vraskas, Warleader's Helix and Boros Guildgates as budget options until you can afford the good stuff.
I don't know, I still have my devotion red deck that I might use until I can afford 'the good stuff'... Decisions!
I'd stick with your strongest deck, which would be your completed Devotion deck. There's no sense in abandoning a decent deck in favor of a new Budget Build. Grind out some wins with Mogis and then upgrade to Big Boros.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:30 pm

I'd stick with your strongest deck, which would be your completed Devotion deck. There's no sense in abandoning a decent deck
in favor of a new Budget Build. Grind out some wins with Mogis and then upgrade to Big Boros.
KS is wise.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:34 am

Will have an FNM report and then a gameday report to follow this weekend.

Quick notes testing against Esper Preboard.
- need to hit the ground running with a one drop. Won majority of my matches with a turn one play.
- try to keep 4 power on board.
- Boros Charm is the bees knees.
- deck has a better top deck game than Esper. Last match I played both of us were in top deck mode. He ripped a sphinx. I ripped a Dragon. I won.
- Chandra can steal games. Ashiok stole an exiled Stormbreath Dragon. Chandra said "LOLuNoBlock!" For the game.
- don't ignore ashiok completely. Lost a couple rounds because it went ultimate. Deal with it enough but it is not priority like Elspeth and Jace.

Really loving this deck over Devotion Red. I am using the hammer even though it is suggested not to. Either get dragons or get hammers. If I get both not a problem. Turning monstrocity on in the esper match up wasn'
t too common. On Friday i'll play against other decks to see if it does conflict.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:45 pm

Do you really need hammer with 4 Mutavaults?
Burn baby burn!

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:43 pm

I don't know, I still have my devotion red deck that I might use until I can afford 'the good
stuff'... Decisions!
I'd stick with your strongest deck, which would be your completed Devotion deck. There's no sense in abandoning a decent deck in favor of a new Budget Build. Grind out some wins with Mogis and then upgrade to Big Boros.
KS is wise.
Thanks guys! What would you suggest to get first? Dragon or Chandra? (just noticed Dragon dropped to 19.99, might drop even further, fingers crossed!)

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:50 pm

just noticed Dragon dropped to 19.99, might drop even further, fingers crossed!
19.99?!?

USD?

salmonman78
Newcomer

Postby salmonman78 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:14 pm

Wow! If that's the actual price where you are snag the Dragon. Just for the cost savings vs what his price is because looking on TCG he's sitting still $25+.

Chandra though, trade your butt off and get you a couple for sure when you can. She is a great asset to the deck and a lot of people still write her off as nothing so she gets ignored some games for least a few turns. I don't regret the $20 I spent on her at all(bought pre rotation and I'm a cheapass).

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:44 pm

Do you really need hammer with 4 Mutavaults?
Not running 4 mutavaults. Mostly because all copies owned are sleeved up elsewhere. Why 4 copies of mutavault though. Isn't it a bit excessive? I understand statisticly we have enough lands to cast our creatures on curve but is it that much part of the core threat density we need 4 of?

I'm always cautious of jamming colorless lands in excess in multicolor decks.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:53 pm

I'm actually only rocking 3 Mutavaults. The deck still wants a Reckoner on turn 3.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm actually only rocking 3 Mutavaults. The deck still wants a Reckoner on turn 3.
I'd use 3 at the most if anything because of the double to triple casting cost of all the cards on top of the CITP Lands.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:12 pm

Sup RedBros.

Back from FNM with a report. Went 3-0 tonight for second place (Someday I'll win on breakers :flame: ). Theros Standard Record improves to 16-3-0. 84% win ratio... sweet.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a 4th dragon before fnm. My list was:

List:

[deck]Creatures (23)
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
3 Stormbreath Dragon

Planeswalkers (2)
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Spells (10)
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
2 Mizzium Mortars

Lands (25)
13 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard (15)
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Burning Earth
4 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Shock
1 Warleader's Helix
2 Wear // Tear[/deck]

Round 1
VS Chapin W/b Midrange (2-0)

G1: Game 1 I just rofl stomp while he floods / tops Soldier of the Pantheons. Boros Charm keeps Hero's Downfall from hurting my dragon, and I ride it for the win.

G2: OUT: 4 Lightning Strike, 4 Boros Reckoner
IN: 4 Chained to the Rocks, 2 Mizzium Mortars, 2 [card]Wear // Tear[/card].

He has double Blind Obedience and tonnes of removal. I have tonnes of Mutavaults and two dragons. They make short work of him.

Round 2 VS U/W/r Control (2-1)

G1: Game 1 I keep a questionable hand that never develops. He plays three Elspeths and beats me to death with little tokens.

G2: OUT: 2 Mizzium Mortars, 4 [card]Boros
Reckoner[/card], 2 Lightning Strike.
IN: 1 Assemble the Legion, 2 Burning Earth, 1 [card]Warleader's Helix[/card], 4 Chained to the Rocks.

We both mulligan to 6. He keeps a completely unplayable hand, with double mountain and some colourless land and boros reckoner rather than double mulligan. Boros Reckoner gets Chained on T3, Burning Earth T4 for the concession.

G3: No changes.

I beat down while he plays all the scry lands. My T4 Boros Charm answers his T4 Supreme Verdict. He tries to [card]Warleader's Helix[/card] my Firedrinker Satyr, and I Lightning Strike Satyr in response for the concession.

Round 3 VS Master of Waves (2-0)

G1
Curve Cackler > Zealot > Reckoner > Chandra > Dragon > Charm + Lightning Strike. Your 2x Master of Waves are irrelevant.

G2 OUT: 4 Firedrinker Satyr
IN: 4 Chained to the Rocks

Well timed Mizzium Mortars on the Tidebinder Mage + Chained to the Rocks on the Master of Waves makes this unwinnable for him.

Bonus: Since we finished so quickly, we played about 7 games pre-board. I was 4-3, so I think the match is pretty even pre-board. Post board it's quite favourable.

Thoughts

Deck feels really good. Not much room to improve.

Chandra, Pyromaster: was great as usual.

Temple of Triumph: was much better than I gave
it credit for. Putting late game Cackler on the bottom is win.

Stormbreath Dragon: is really good. Goes monstrous more than I thought it would. Maybe better than Thundermaw.

Boros Charm: is the stone cold nuts.

Ash Zealot: = Best non-green two drop in standard.

Chained to the Rocks: A little bit too good for standard.

Shock: Never came in. Maybe it should VS MoW?

White Sources: Always had one.

Mutavault: No issues.

Moving Forward

The deck feels really good. I used my credit to buy a fat pack and cracked a Dragon.

Therefore:

+1 Dragon in the MB, -1 Charm. +1 Charm in the SB, -1 Warleader's Helix.

Looks forward to playing in Game Day. Playmat... GET!

Lets see some good FNM results boys!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:33 pm

Alright JS, you and Zeman win. I'm going balls-deep with Boros Dragons.

Using Sullivan's list -1xMutavault, +1xMountain because more Mountains = bigger penis.

Unsure of what my board will look like. Probably an amalgamation of Sullivan's Anti-aggro shell + some Peak Eruption/Burning Earth, only because I know that Dega and Boros builds of all kinds will be present tonight. How do I know this? Because I've lent out all my Blood Crypts, extra Foundries, Shocks, Helices, Blood Barons, and Mortars to 3 people.

It's like, "Sure, guys! take what you need. I'm more than happy to help!"

And then I cackle maniacally while I shove Peak Eruptions into my board. :evillol:

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:37 pm

Glad to have you :)

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:39 pm

Aww yeah, dragon stompy team assemble!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:46 pm

We'll be like the art from Ersatz Gnomes! M:TG's first Power Rangers card. Ooh, ooh! I want to be the Red one!

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:02 pm

He's the one puking, seems appropriate

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:15 pm

He's the one puking, seems appropriate
Dude, I know. Isn't it awesome?

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:21 pm

He's a-firin' up his lazer. Shoop da whoop!

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Good Job at FNM JS!

I must ask, why do you bring in Chained to the Rocks vs U/W/r control? You said yoo chain his Reckoner but thats only good if he gets Reckoner. If you keep Reckoner in instead, its good regardless if he has Reckoner or not.

Maybe I'm missing something, could you fill me in?

I am gonna run this tonight at FNM and tomorrow at a TCG 5k in Providence, RI.
Burn baby burn!

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:17 pm

Thoughts on swapping 1 Mountain for 1 Plains?
Burn baby burn!

Return to “Archives”