[Primer] RDW

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:21 am

I ran red splash white and won a GPT with it during gatecrash standard. I found 10 white sources to be the minimum.

That said, you're probably better off straight red. Maybe replace the chained to the rocks with Mizzium Mortars?

Wrathberry2
Newcomer

Postby Wrathberry2 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:01 pm

im running this list currently, but its more an big red than a rdw i think: works pretty well, im 10:0 currently on cockatrice.

[cards]4 Ash zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Boros Reckoner
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Fanatic of Mogis
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
3 Stormbreath Dragon

2 Dragon Mantle (not sure about them, but untill now they worked fine :))
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock
2 Mizzium Mortars

20 Mountain
4 Mutavault

2 Chandra, Pyromaster[/cards]

the only problem i got sometimes was, that i couldnt plant a boros reckoner cause i placed a mutavault in turn 1-3. but that didnt hit my untill now, since i just placed a phoenix or something then.

the red god is just awesome, especialy with all these 2-3 red mana symbols.

its just awesome if you play turn 2 ash
zealot, turn 3 boros recokner/phoenix/hammer and turn 4 purphoros, especialy if you placed the hammer before and he gets haste. and even in lategame he can be awesome. i had the situation when i only had him on the field but 2 phoenixes on hand. opponent was on 13 life. next turn he was dead ;) he didnt expect that.
chandra did an awesome job untill now, mb im going up to 3.

the dragon mantle worked fine untill now. always replaces itself. and a firebreathing ash zealot or phoenix is just nice. but not sure if i really want it, or if i should just add 2 more shocks or something.

Fanatic of Mogis: He is just hillariously good. just vs control i guess i would board him out, since i normaly dont have a huge boardstate there. but there was a game where i dealed 5 and 6 damage with 2 fanatics. just from the trigger^^.

stormbreath dragon: 4/4 flying haste with a protection which can be of use sometimes and with 24 lands you
sometimes can even use his monstrosity abbility. he is not as good as thundermaw hellkite. but still good enough i guess.

hammer: he is just awesome. enables some nice shenigans with his god. gives fanatic of mogis and boros reckoner haste. and the 3/3 tokens can be very very awesome when the game goes longer or to finish off your opponent.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:46 am

im running this list currently, but its more an big red than a rdw i think: works pretty well, im 10:0 currently on cockatrice.

[cards]4 Ash zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Boros Reckoner
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Fanatic of Mogis
3 Stormbreath Dragon

4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock
2 Mizzium Mortars

20 Mountain
4 Mutavault

the only problem i got sometimes was, that i couldnt plant a boros reckoner cause i placed a mutavault in turn 1-3. but that didnt hit my untill now,
since i just placed a phoenix or something then.

its just awesome if you play turn 2 ash zealot, turn 3 boros recokner/phoenix/hammer and turn 4 purphoros, especialy if you placed the hammer before and he gets haste. and even in lategame he can be awesome. i had the situation when i only had him on the field but 2 phoenixes on hand. opponent was on 13 life. next turn he was dead ;) he didnt expect that.

the dragon mantle worked fine untill now. always replaces itself. and a firebreathing ash zealot or phoenix is just nice. but not sure if i really want it, or if i should just add 2 more shocks or something.

Fanatic of Mogis: He is just hillariously good. just vs control i guess i would board him out, since i normaly dont have a huge boardstate there. but there was a game where i
dealed 5 and 6 damage with 2 fanatics. just from the trigger^^.

stormbreath dragon: 4/4 flying haste with a protection which can be of use sometimes and with 24 lands you sometimes can even use his monstrosity abbility. he is not as good as thundermaw hellkite. but still good enough i guess.

hammer: he is just awesome. enables some nice shenigans with his god. gives fanatic of mogis and boros reckoner haste. and the 3/3 tokens can be very very awesome when the game goes longer or to finish off your opponent.
I would remove the Dragon Mantles. They won't replace themselves if the creature gets killed in response. Probably better to shave a mutavault than to cut reckoners.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:11 am

Thanks for your hard work JS!
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Wrathberry2
Newcomer

Postby Wrathberry2 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:28 pm

[cards]4 Ash zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Boros Reckoner
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Fanatic of Mogis
3 Stormbreath Dragon

4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock
2 Mizzium Mortars

20 Mountain
4 Mutavault

2 Chandra, Pyromaster[/
cards]

the only problem i got sometimes was, that i couldnt plant a boros reckoner cause i placed a mutavault in turn 1-3. but that didnt hit my untill now, since i just placed a phoenix or something then.

its just awesome if you play turn 2 ash zealot, turn 3 boros recokner/phoenix/hammer and turn 4 purphoros, especialy if you placed the hammer before and he gets haste. and even in lategame he can be awesome. i had the situation when i only had him on the field but 2 phoenixes on hand. opponent was on 13 life. next turn he was dead ;) he didnt expect that.

Fanatic
of Mogis: He is just hillariously good. just vs control i guess i would board him out, since i normaly dont have a huge boardstate there. but there was a game where i dealed 5 and 6 damage with 2 fanatics. just from the trigger^^.

stormbreath dragon: 4/4 flying haste with a protection which can be of use sometimes and with 24 lands you sometimes can even use his monstrosity abbility. he is not as good as thundermaw hellkite. but still good enough i guess.

I would remove the Dragon Mantles. They won't replace themselves if the creature gets killed in response. Probably better to shave a mutavault than to cut reckoners.
yeah, you are probably right about the mantles. Mb I remove them and put 2 more recliners mainboard.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:19 am

[cards]4 Ash zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Boros Reckoner
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Fanatic of Mogis
3 Stormbreath Dragon

2 Dragon Mantle (not sure about them, but untill now they worked fine )
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock
2 Mizzium Mortars

20 Mountain
4 Mutavault

the dragon mantle worked fine untill now. always
replaces itself. and a firebreathing ash zealot or phoenix is just nice. but not sure if i really want it, or if i should just add 2 more shocks or something.

Fanatic of Mogis: He is just hillariously good. just vs control i guess i would board him out, since i normaly dont have a huge boardstate there. but there was a game where i dealed 5 and 6 damage with 2 fanatics. just from the trigger^^.

I would remove the Dragon Mantles. They won't replace themselves if the creature gets killed in response. Probably better to shave a mutavault
than to cut reckoners.
yeah, you are probably right about the mantles. Mb I remove them and put 2 more recliners mainboard.
I assume that's auto correct for Reckoners. Good call. Just make sure you have 21 red sources for them (-1 mutavault) and you should be ok.

Wrathberry2
Newcomer

Postby Wrathberry2 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:37 am

yeah, that was autocorrect, wrote that yesterday evening while laying in bed already^^.

ill work on the decklist a little more today, still didnt lose a single bo3 with this deck :)

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:18 pm

Well, just finished the first FNM of the season. Didn't drop a single game all night, but ended up second on breakers. Played Jund, Dimir Aggro-control and Mono-Black Aggro.

Initial thoughts:

Hammer of Purphoros is STUPID. Don't leave home with less than two.

Flames of the Firebrand is probably maindeckable. Lots of X/1's.

Firedrinker Satyr is everything I thought he'd be <3 I don't care that it cost me 6 life to trade with your dragon, my one drop just traded with your dragon!

Fanatic of Mogis hit for 3-5, but was kind of blah if it didn't gain haste. Also blah after a sweeper. Might drop for 2x Chandra / 2x Flames.

Anger of the Gods isn't so bad. I think I ate three vs Jund.

Gore-House Chainwalker was
solid.

Hexproof Plant is no big deal.

Magma Jet was quite good.

I would like more burn.
Last edited by Lightning_Dolt on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:22 pm

I like when I'm right about stuff. Well done!

List and notes on anything else when you get a chance.

Seriously well ducking done, you're starting to put up good numbers regularly now :)
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:33 pm

Current list:

[deck]Creatures(28)
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firefist Striker
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis

Spells (10)
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Hammer of Purphoros

Land (22)
3 Mutavault
19 Mountains

Sideboard (15)
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Burning Earth
4 Mizzium Mortars
2 Flames of the Firebrand
4 Boros Reckoner[/deck]
Last edited by Lightning_Dolt on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:35 pm

Might try:

[deck]Creatures(24)
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firefist Striker
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Spells (14)
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Hammer of Purphoros
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Land (22)
3 Mutavault
19 Mountains

Sideboard (15)
3 Burning Earth
4 Mizzium Mortars
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Act of Treason
2 Flames of the Firebrand[/deck]
Last edited by Lightning_Dolt on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:38 pm

Probably going to play tomorrow. Winner gets a box!

toddulent
Newcomer

Postby toddulent » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:11 pm

So, I came back from a MtG hiatus, lost internet at home (due to my roommate brother not paying internet bill), and then being sick for 3 weeks. I've been helping my other roommate get back into playing. He played a Maze's End Turbo Fog last week and went 2-2. I played RDW and went 3-1. I stumbled game 1 vs GW Humans and missed winning game 3 by 2 points. I met my roommate in round 4 and beat him 2-0 very quickly (we played 6 total games and he only won the last game when he proxied Supreme Verdict). He also lost round 2 to the mirror and variance. We've been tweaking that deck for him so it can have a good chance to keep up with RDW.

I am upgrading the list I was running. Here is what I am taking tonight:

[deck]Creatures (32)
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firefist Striker
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Spells (10)
4 Shock
Lightning Strike
2 Hammer of Purphoros

Lands (18)
18 Mountains

Sideboard (15)
2 Dynacharge
3 Madcap Skills
3 Mizzium Mortars
4 Skullcrack
3 Rubblebelt Maaka[/deck]
The SB is sort of a mishmash. Not sure if Skullcrack will still be needed. I do need to fit Magma Jet in the main, but I'm fine with Shock for now.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:40 pm

^I'd drop two Legion Loyalists for two more Mountains (or Mutavaults if you have access to any). SB...consider Burning Earth and Act of Treason instead of Rubblebelt Maaka, and add one more Mizzium Mortars (maybe drop one Skullcrack, or consider dropping them completely).
Sig by NBW

toddulent
Newcomer

Postby toddulent » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:20 pm

^I'd drop two Legion Loyalists for two more Mountains (or Mutavaults if you have access to any). SB...consider Burning Earth and Act of Treason instead of Rubblebelt Maaka, and add one more Mizzium Mortars (maybe drop one Skullcrack, or consider dropping them completely).
I don't have Mutavaults, but I can see two more Mountains being useful now. Before I was getting too many lands, but with Hammer the extra lands are good. I really want Burning Earth, but I haven't been able to find any locally. I'm hoping maybe someone wants to trade for some for this foil Swan Song I pulled last week. And I like Act of Treason to replace Rubblebelt Maaka. I have another Mizzium Mortars, but I left it at home and won't have time to get it before tonight. I'
ll make that change this weekend. I don't imagine Skullcrack will be relevent. Once I get Magma Jets, I'll main those and put Shock in the side to replace Skullcrack. Thanks for the suggestions.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Here's my list. I have everything but the Gauntlets. Looks like I'm going to have to order them.

[deck]
Creatures (14)
4 Ash Zealot
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Ember Swallower

Spells (22)
2 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Mizzium Mortars
1 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Flames of the Firebrand
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Pyromancer's Gauntlet

Lands (24)
4 Mutavault
20 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
2 Pithing Needle
2 Shock
2 Ratchet Bomb
1 Mizzium Mortars
3 Skullcrack
2 Act of Treason
3 Burning Earth
[/deck]

Pretty diverse sideboard. Let me explain:

vs UWx control: they're probably on the Aetherling plan, so -2 Shock, -3 Mizzium Mortars, -3 Flames of the Firebrand, +2 Pithing Needle, +3 Skullcrack, +3 Burning Earth. Could also bring in Ratchet Bomb to blow up their Pithing Needle or Assemble the Legion if they're splashing red, in which case we wouldn't bring our own Needle in on
game three since they'd likely have some number of Wear/Tear. Our Needle obviously names Aetherling. If on two colors only, it's possible that we should keep in FotF instead of bringing in Burning Earth.

vs GW and Bx midrange: -3 Flames of the Firebrand, +2 Act of Treason, +1 Mizzium Mortars. If running tokens, bring in Ratchet Bomb.

vs Rx aggro: -2 Pyromancer's Gauntlet, +2 Shock.

vs 3-color goodstuff decks like Dega midrange: -2 Shock, -2 Flames of the Firebrand, +3 Burning Earth, +1 Mizzium Mortars.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:42 pm

So, is Pyromancer's Gauntlet a thing? I thought that one would be too costly...
Sig by NBW

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:43 pm

It's definitely a thing. I tried it expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised. I was happy every time I saw it.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:46 pm

Is the format really slow enough to get to 5?

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:52 pm

It's probably best in decks with Chandra in them (which is starting to be every red ones), since you can do 3 damage right away after you've cast it if you have her on the table.
Sig by NBW

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:19 pm

First off, good job, JS!

Second, this is pretty much the list I'm running tonight:

[deck]
Creatures 24
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Firefist Striker
4 Frostburn Weird
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Chandras 3
3 Chandra, Pyromaster

Hammer 1
1 Hammer of Purphoros

Burn 10
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike

Sideboard
2 Mutavault
2 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Mizzium Mortars
2 Act of Treason
2 Burning Earth
3 Skullcrack
[/deck]

Just a solid deck that I'm somewhat familiar with. Has that transformational vibe that I'm so fond of.

It actually seems like a decent foundation for Fanatic of Mogis with all the double-red cards, but after reading JS's report, I'm hesitant to go that route. Still, putting Mogis in main and moving Chandra to the board over the Skullcracks seems good enough.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:35 pm

Is the format really slow enough to get to 5?
I don't expect to cast it on curve but I have in RtR standard matches and that format is much faster. My deck is tuned for a long game though so ymmv.
Considering the fact that I'm clutching multiple burn spells every time I cast it, I have yet not to get value out of it. In games with a crowded board it's blown the game out for me.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:03 am

I like the idea of gauntlets, and even in RTR STD I was prepared for the long game, too. With RG around, it often didn't last long. Anything to make my baby girl Chandra more scary is good by me.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:57 am

Off to a bad start. Lost 1-2 to the U/B cipher deck from last night. G3 opened a hand of Mountain, Firedrinker, BTE, BTE, BTE, Mizzium Mortars, Lightning Strike then never drew another land. Tilting hard. You can't mull that hand, but you obviously lose if you don't draw land. I guess that's one reason to dislike BTE; she makes you keep bad hands.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:07 am

Off to a bad start. Lost 1-2 to the U/B cipher deck from last night. G3 opened a hand of Mountain, Firedrinker, BTE, BTE, BTE, Mizzium Mortars, Lightning Strike then never drew another land. Tilting hard. You can't mull that hand, but you obviously lose if you don't draw land. I guess that's one reason to dislike BTE; she makes you keep bad hands.
Tilting is a lie, keep your chin up! And don't keep risky hands if you don't want to get burned.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:32 am

I firmly believe it is correct to keep that habd. Had the same hand minus a BTE in the second round. Hit the lsnd on time and stomped. Beat Jund 2-0. He didn't do much to be fair, he was a punching bag. 1-1 on the day.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:50 am

1-2 on the day. Lost 1-2 to RDW mirror. Double mulligans in G1 + G2 are pretty cool.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:24 am

Won 4th round 2-0 vs Jund for 7th place (I think). Disappointing day. Will probably play Z's list next week. He's made some of the changes I thought it needed anyway. I do wonder how it deals with hexproof plants, and which decks Peak Eruption comes in against.

Edit: NM, finished 5th, with cut to Top 4... lol
Last edited by Lightning_Dolt on Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yarpus » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:47 am

I'd say Peak Eruption:
- is fine in RDW mirrors when you are on play
- is awesome against UWR, BWR and other 3-color lists sporting Red

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:50 pm

I went 5-0 at FNM tonight. There was suppose to be a win a box tournament, but only 6 people showed up and we needed 10. We were able to get an 8 man going for a free tournament. This was my deck

RDW

[deck]
Creatures (24)
Foundry Street Denizen x4
Rakdos Cackler x4
Burning-Tree Emissary x4
Firefist Striker x4
Gore-House Chainwalker x4
[card]Chandra's Phoenix[/card] x4

Spells (9)
Lightning Strike x4
Magma Jet x3
Mizzium Mortars x2

Enchantments (2)
Hammer of Purphoros x2

Planeswalkers (3)
Chandra, Pyromaster x3

Land (22&#
41;
Mutavault x2
Mountainx20

Sideboard (15)
Burning Earth x2
Boros Reckoner x3
Flames of the Firebrand x3
Act of Treason x3
Ember Swallower x2
[card]Pyromancer's Gauntlet[/card]x1
Mizzium Mortars x1
[/deck]
Foundry Street Denizen - My Firedrinker Satyrs hadn't arrived yet, so I had to sub these guys in. They were surprisingly effective, I'd say something like 1.75 damage a turn. I did get a 4 damage swing off on turn 2 once.

Mizzium Mortars - I went against a lot of control and this is basically a dead card. I'd almost be tempted to run 3 Hammer of Purphoros mainboard. That card is fucking awesome. I'
m almost always happy to see one.

Ember Swallower - This was sideboard tech against my friend's mono-green that stomped the fuck out of me last night during testing. I didn't go against him.

[card]Pyromancer's Gauntlet[/card] - Valdarith's right, this card is surprisingly good. This and Chandra will completely take over a game. 2Lightning Strikes a turn? Yes, mother fucking please. I can definitely see this as a 1 or 2 of in a burn heavy list.

Odd Numbers of Cards: I still need x1 Magma Jet, x2 Mutavault, so I had to make due with what I had.

Tournament:

I won the tournament, going 5-0. I think most games were 2-1 splits.

Match 1 vs U/G guy didn't have a standard deck so he borrowed the intro deck the store made and it really sucked

So, he got mana screwed both games.
I got to gold fish my deck. Turn 4 and 5 kills are pretty good I think.
Match 2 vs Jund Midrange

Game 1:
Close matches. Desecration Demon is fucking scary, but the mana is shakey. I lost one game by playing it safe and playing around a Lightning Strike he didn't have. If I had gone to 3 and kept my creature I could have won game 1.

Game 2:
I mull to 5, but curve out well enough. The game is sealed when I get double Burning Earth on the field. Yes, play a 3 color deck. You will be punished.

Game 3:
He misplays and lets get a few turns of Chandra, Pyromaster and [card]Pyromancer's Gauntlet[/card] on the field. I'm able to kill 2 scavenging oozes and deal like... 10 points of burn damage before he decides
to get rid of it, but it was too late.
Match 3 vs U/W Control

When the match started this guy was happy and singing songs to himself. I don't remember these too well, but I'm pretty sure I took them 2-0. In game 1, he almost mills me out with Jace, Memory Adept, but a well timed burn spell returns 4 [card]Chandra's Phoenix[/card]. He wasn't happy
Match 4 vs Grixis Control

This guy is an ass. I enjoyed beating him more than anyone else.

Game 1:
He mulls to 3. I mulled to 6. He draws as well as perfectly as he could want, but I was able to take it home.

Game 2:
This is a close game. He's able to stabilize at 3 and I have the Lightning Strike in hand to win it, but he's got 3 mana open at all times. I'm not able to get the [card]
Lightning Strike[/card] off and so he wins by Rakdos Keyrune beat down.

Game 3:

I play around Anger of the Gods effectively. I never have more than 3 creatures out at a time (I aim for 5-6 power on board). Even though I had a double Emily in my opening hand with 2 drops to follow up with, I only play one at a time. After a board wipe I instantly have damage on board again.

The games goes on, your opponent is at 6 life. You have Hammer of Purphoros on the field with a 3/3 token and 3 mountains. You have Magma Jet, Flames of the Firebrand, and a Mountainin hand. Your opponent casts [card]Rakdos's Return[/card] for 2. What card do you keep?

If you're a man, you keep the mountainbecause [card]mountain[/card:
s4sghpe6]s are the most overpowered card in the game. Drop the mountain, make it a golem, my opponent scoops.

After the Match:
I tell my opponent good game and offer my hand. He refuses and answer, "No. Fuck that. I'm getting sick of this shit." He continues, "I'm sick of all these people playing crappy decks because no one wants to spend any money."

He rants on a little further. I forgot how it got to this point, but we had this exchange.

"I play douchey decks."
"So do I."
"No you don't."
"You play decks that stop people from playing cards. I play decks that stop people from playing the game."

He leaves after that.

Re-Match 5 vs U/W Control

Rematch against the guy in match 3. I win it 2-0 again. I was going to give him game 1 because I left a card in my sideboard, but he tells me to throw it out
and draw another card like it never happened. I like this guy. A little bothered that I basically ruined his night. In game 2 he uses supreme verdict 3 times in a single game on me, but it does nothing to stop me.
---
The room after I finished was sour as fuck. The Jund midrange and the 2 control players were pissed off. They were so happy and laughing at the beginning of the night. I don't think any of them are going to trade the last 2 mutavaults I need to me...

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:58 pm

I ran into a problem last night - Bant Enchantments running Gladecover Scout dressed up with Unflinching Courage, and Fiendslayer Paladin which can do anything it wants against mono-red.

Also wondering, is Hammer of Purphoros as a 2x enough to get it out consistently in BTE decks?

JWarson88
Newcomer

Postby JWarson88 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:27 pm

I went 5-0 at FNM tonight. There was suppose to be a win a box tournament, but only 6 people showed up and we needed 10. We were able to get an 8 man going for a free tournament. This was my deck

RDW

[deck]
Creatures (24)
Foundry Street Denizen x4
Rakdos Cackler x4
Burning-Tree Emissary x4
Firefist Striker x4
Gore-House Chainwalker x4
[card]Chandra's Phoenix[/card] x4

Spells (9)
Lightning Strike x4
Magma Jet x3
Mizzium Mortars x2

Enchantments (2&#
41;
Hammer of Purphoros x2

Planeswalkers (3)
Chandra, Pyromaster x3

Land (22)
Mutavault x2
Mountainx20

Sideboard (15)
Burning Earth x2
Boros Reckoner x3
Flames of the Firebrand x3
Act of Treason x3
Ember Swallower x2
[card]Pyromancer's Gauntlet[/card]x1
Mizzium Mortars x1
[/deck]
Foundry Street Denizen - My Firedrinker Satyrs hadn't arrived yet, so I had to sub these guys in. They were surprisingly effective, I'd say something like 1.75 damage a turn. I did get a 4 damage swing off on turn 2 once.

Mizzium Mortars - I
went against a lot of control and this is basically a dead card. I'd almost be tempted to run 3 Hammer of Purphoros mainboard. That card is fucking awesome. I'm almost always happy to see one.

Ember Swallower - This was sideboard tech against my friend's mono-green that stomped the fuck out of me last night during testing. I didn't go against him.

[card]Pyromancer's Gauntlet[/card] - Valdarith's right, this card is surprisingly good. This and Chandra will completely take over a game. 2Lightning Strikes a turn? Yes, mother fucking please. I can definitely see this as a 1 or 2 of in a burn heavy list.

Odd Numbers of Cards: I still need x1 Magma Jet, x2 Mutavault, so I had to make due with what I had.

Tournament:

I won the tournament, going 5-0. I think most games were 2-1 splits.

Match 1 vs U/G guy didn'
t have a standard deck so he borrowed the intro deck the store made and it really sucked

So, he got mana screwed both games. I got to gold fish my deck. Turn 4 and 5 kills are pretty good I think.
Match 2 vs Jund Midrange

Game 1:
Close matches. Desecration Demon is fucking scary, but the mana is shakey. I lost one game by playing it safe and playing around a Lightning Strike he didn't have. If I had gone to 3 and kept my creature I could have won game 1.

Game 2:
I mull to 5, but curve out well enough. The game is sealed when I get double Burning Earth on the field. Yes, play a 3 color deck. You will be punished.

Game 3:
He misplays and lets get a few turns of Chandra, Pyromaster and [card:
cgyjk1w8]Pyromancer's Gauntlet[/card] on the field. I'm able to kill 2 scavenging oozes and deal like... 10 points of burn damage before he decides to get rid of it, but it was too late.
Match 3 vs U/W Control

When the match started this guy was happy and singing songs to himself. I don't remember these too well, but I'm pretty sure I took them 2-0. In game 1, he almost mills me out with Jace, Memory Adept, but a well timed burn spell returns 4 [card]Chandra's Phoenix[/card]. He wasn't happy
Match 4 vs Grixis Control

This guy is an ass. I enjoyed beating him more than anyone else.

Game 1:
He mulls to 3. I mulled to 6. He draws as well as perfectly as he could want, but I was able to take it home.

Game 2:
This is a close game. He's
able to stabilize at 3 and I have the Lightning Strike in hand to win it, but he's got 3 mana open at all times. I'm not able to get the Lightning Strike off and so he wins by Rakdos Keyrune beat down.

Game 3:

I play around Anger of the Gods effectively. I never have more than 3 creatures out at a time (I aim for 5-6 power on board). Even though I had a double Emily in my opening hand with 2 drops to follow up with, I only play one at a time. After a board wipe I instantly have damage on board again.

The games goes on, your opponent is at 6 life. You have Hammer of Purphoros on the field with a 3/3 token and 3 mountains. You have Magma Jet, Flames of the Firebrand, and a Mountainin hand. Your opponent casts [card]Rakdos's Return[/
card] for 2. What card do you keep?

If you're a man, you keep the mountainbecause mountains are the most overpowered card in the game. Drop the mountain, make it a golem, my opponent scoops.

After the Match:
I tell my opponent good game and offer my hand. He refuses and answer, "No. Fuck that. I'm getting sick of this shit." He continues, "I'm sick of all these people playing crappy decks because no one wants to spend any money."

He rants on a little further. I forgot how it got to this point, but we had this exchange.

"I play douchey decks."
"So do I."
"No you don't."
"You play decks that stop people from playing cards. I play decks that stop people from playing the game."

He leaves after that.

Re-Match 5 vs U/W Control

Rematch against the guy in match 3. I win it 2-0 again. I was going to give him game 1 because I left a card in my sideboard, but he tells me to throw it out and draw another card like it never happened. I like this guy. A little bothered that I basically ruined his night. In game 2 he uses supreme verdict 3 times in a single game on me, but it does nothing to stop me.
---
The room after I finished was sour as fuck. The Jund midrange and the 2 control players were pissed off. They were so happy and laughing at the beginning of the night. I don't think any of them are going to trade the last 2 mutavaults I need to me...
Don't let those sour pusses get to you. They want to play greedy mana bases and spend lots of money, then they should expect to play against people who are going to counter that strategy. I was at a PTQ for the Theros PT and couldn't get a hold of all the cards I needed for Big Red. Instead, I played a janky lil
burn deck running Vexing Devil. I got crushed by aggro decks, but demolished both of the Jund players I played against. I beat one Jund Player in 20 mins. He literally just stood up and left the table without saying a word. Haters are gonna hate.

Den18
Newcomer

Postby Den18 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:03 pm

So do we have a consensus on Fanatic of Mogis? He seems amazing when he works but after some games I almost feel like he is a trap.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:09 pm

Seems like if you can keep things on the field he's profitable. But if you can keep things on the field you probably don't need him.

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:51 pm

@JWarson - I'm not too bothered by it. The only one I'm slightly bothered about is the U/W guy because he's a good guy and I ruined his night. The Jund guy is a bit arrogant. During game 1 he told me, "I can't tell you now because of the tournament, but I played aggro for a long time. I'll give you some advice after this." He never did. The Grixis guy had it coming though.

He spent most of the night trash talking to me and making fun of me. For example, during the game with the Jund guy, I played [card]Pyromancer's Gauntlet[/card]. They both picked it up to read and the Grixis guy commented, "DerWille! Have you gotten worse at this game?" During my match with him, he wouldn't shut up. "I'm going to blow you out with Anger of the Gods. I'm going to blow you out." He did played it. He killed 3 dudes. I immediately played 2 more for 5
power on the field and swung in. It's not hard to play around an obvious board wipe.

@Den18 - I haven't played Fanatic of Mogis at some sort of tournament yet, but comparing how he works against Chandra, Pyromaster, I'm thinking that Chandra is just better. At worst, Chandra deals 1 damage and removes a blocker. However, you'll usually use her to generate a stupid amount about of card advantage. With a hammer on the field, your land drops are basically better than most creatures in your deck. With 5 or 6 mana on the field that basically means you'll be casting two spells a turn: usually golem and a dude or golem and a spell. She won't finish the game as quickly as that Fanatic but she'll rock control match ups. They can board wipe all they want. You can immediately replace them with 5 to 6 more power on the field every time. They can't handle it.

I'm seriously tempted to play 3 hammers. They're that amazing.

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yarpus » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:23 pm

They are ok if people are squeezing janky cards like Amass the Components or that 2/4 Vigiliance Lifelink Angel for 4 into Control Decks. That's perfectly fine as it's a "meta-choice".
If suddenly Red starts to play cards that answer the meta (Stonewright, Burning Earth) they start to loose their shit.
Had similiar experience with guy at my LCS. He was in the semi-finals of FNM Championship, but didn't knew me as he started to play at my LCS in the exact moment when I left due to health issues. So when he saw me, he considered me as scrub. When he saw me playing T1 Cackler he started to insult me as he plays Bant Control. Well, I've didn't said a word and stomped his sorry ass by taking over his Jace ready to ult and getting his last Thragtusk and my Thundermaw. Hey, he thinks he's smart as he has 40 life (3 thragtusks blinked by resto angels) and he wraths the board. I'm like whatever dude. "You're not
scooping?"
I slam Stonewright onto battlefield and swing for 10 with post-Thrag token. Next turn he Charms it. I play Ash Zealot and then generate 10 damage per turn clock with two cards on the field.
He's actually a good player, but I've managed to stomp his sorry ass everytime I play against him during non-final stage of FNM. I lost in finals to him twice, no luck in terms of lands (regularly staying at 2 lands in 25 lands deck). He didn't considered me to be a magic player for a long time until someone explained him that I basically invented UW Venser Control and showed up with UB Kibler's Infect before this deck ever existed. Then we at least started to "talk" to each other. It's not like that's a good thing as I just hate this guy and this feeling is mutual.

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:44 pm

Heh like at states last year round one my opponent sat down and said how he hoped to play against r/b all day long. 2-0 and knight of infamy paired with stonewrights later he signed a match slip and began saying how lucky I was. And how bad Koi was main deck.
I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yarpus » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:37 am

I also do remember times when I told you that BOTH Chandra and Pyromancer's Gauntlet are good. And most of you were laughing at me. :(
Behold before my mighty card-evaluation skills.
Suckas.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:59 am

Everyone with a pulse knee Chandra was good. The Gauntlet on the other hand requires a very specific card pool and meta to be considered even remotely playable, not to mention a deck with the right amount of cards to make it live for one third of the time. I do like the card a lot right now.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:06 am

I think it's an easy trap to fall into, where you think, "I've beat this guy / deck the last five times, I should win this one". I am certainly guilty of this. The problem is, luck is a factor, players levels of competence change, there is luck in pairings, and players will adapt their decks. Beating someone the night before doesn't mean you'll beat the next day (as I learned R1 yesterday). Going completely undefeated on Friday, doesn't mean Saturday will be a cakewalk, because you will get paired against different opponents. It's something I personally struggle with, but you should never feel entitled to a win, and never expect a match / tournament to be easy. I've been trying hard to focus on not tilting, but god damn it is hard at times.

Return to “Archives”